I know this will sound stupid and it's still a generalisation...

I know this will sound stupid and it's still a generalisation, but why do most african american people look as if they listen to rap music, as opposed to the 50s and 60s when they looked like they listened to jazz?

I know this is a generalisation, but I feel like black people in america were a bit more inclined to jazz earlier, and nowadays they are inclined to rap music. I kind of see this as a downfall, because usually rap isn't so creative and valuable music-wise, I don't mind if some people like it, but you don't need much musical study to perform rap music, as opposed to jazz, which is music-wise often a lot more creative and complicated than rap. How did this become a stereotype? What made black people (and not only black) switch from jazz to rap.

I know this sounds stupid, but I hope you understand what I mean, nevertheless. I'm open to any other opinions and I'm sorry if I'm on the wrong board, I don't know where else this would fit.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=lm-FqtAOSB8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Democrats and the welfare state happened

black people did not all dress in suits in the 50s lmao, and they don't walk around shirtless with their pants half on. Have you seen a black dude in the past month?

I know the picture is very exaggerated, but you don't have to wear a suit to look like you enjoy music like classic rock and jazz, and you don't have to be shirtless to look like you only listen to rap.

Why do people sag their pants? I was told in prison, sagging your pants is an invitation for predators to fuck you up your butt.

Get redpilled by based black economy man

youtube.com/watch?v=lm-FqtAOSB8

shit man i'm white and i listen to rap music, i dont look like i listen to rap music.

My uncle used to say the exact same thing. I think it because it's considered "cool". Some people only care for being "cool" so I guess that's why, and it's part of the rap culture in some ways

Tbh it's not just the 'look' but in general black people listen to a lot more soul/blues+jazz music in the 40s and 50s, that kind of shifted into Motown in the 60s (like the supremes and stuff) and then became proper mainstream pop during the 70s and 80s (with the help of Michael Jackson and co).

For some reason rap, without having any real influence from black musical culture which came before, has suddenly dominated not just black culture-but worldwide too. It gives rise to not only the fact that any could learn to do it (like Motown in the 60s an 70s) but that literally anyone can do it. Literally anyone can rap and make up lyrics that rhyme in couplets.

>jazz
drug taking, womenizing, crime but also black empowerment, politics, sharing of culture and history

>rap
drug taking, womenizing, crime but also black empowerment, politics, sharing of culture and history

yea shits so different

It does, you're just racist and I bet you don't get much interaction with african americans.
>I was told in prison
sure ya were, pal.

I was never in prison you fucking retard.

Black culture steals from prison culture the exact same way white culture steals from black culture.

there are tons of black people who don't look like they listen to rap music, I'm talking about the generalisation (which I know is stupid), it's a fact that most black people these days like to listen to rap, and I think a similar proportion used to exist a while ago, but with jazz music, maybe I'm wrong

this lol
>Literally anyone can rap and make up lyrics that rhyme in couplets.

Literally anyone can blow a trill over ii-V-I too. i practiced saxophone like 1 hour a day for a year and i got good enough to sound decent in high school jazz band.

what do you think helped made this switch from jazz to rap?

Underaged people are not allowed here. Tell your dad to add this site to your Routers block list.

I'm specifically talking music-wise, how it's composed, how complicated and creative it is musically

you all guys need a soft, long, hug

The way you wrote it seems to infer that you were.

example:

"I was told in prison, that ...."
versus
"I was told that in prison, ..."
or even
"I was told, in prison, that, ..."

The way you wrote it makes it sound like a first person account, versus if you had written it properly, "you fucking retard".

You know Jazz was often looked at in the same way. I believe it was called "negro music". Rap doesn't inheretly have to be less creative than Jazz. Just like Jazz doesn't have to be inheretly worse than Romantic music.

"i-...i just dont understand why we can't say nigger if black ppl can say it" headass boi.

I couldn't care less what I called them, but I'm aware that some people see it as offensive, so I don't want to offend anyone

>Why do they look like the things they listen to?
Because that's kinda how humans work. They see, they do.

Why did that little girl buy a fairy wand that makes noise and lights up?
Because sailor moon has a wand that makes noise and lights up.

If that's the case, does that mean gender is social construct? We act because thats the norm.

I see, but that wasn't really my question, now was it?

Yes. But the current social construct is fine isn't it? Being gay is also okay with me.
Actually now that I think about it I don't give a big enough of a shit about the social construct.

Okay, this also applies to the 60s I guess?
Jazz was popular in the 60s. So people did Jazz. Is that a better answer?

I'm curious as to why the mainstream of black people listening to jazz changed, along with their appearance, to the rap stereotype

So much ass-pulling here.

Because time changes.
The jazz community from back then who are still alive are probably still listening to their Jazz.
While the new gen is of course listening to what's mainstream now, Rap and Hip-Hop.

How the music became to change is by people changing it. People invent new music, the people listen and it spreads.

No it wasn't.

Look, can everyone on this thread just stop and take a look at the situation? Everything from Chuck Berry onwards has been drilled into your heads. Everything before then, it's like you're bluffing your way through a medieval history test.

Jazz was not only not called "negro music" by any but white supremacists (actual ones), there were white people who claimed to have invented it and were believed. There were white jazz critics like Otis Ferguson who wrote a history of jazz and barely mentioned black players. This history has to be grasped because it's WHY black music so often uses dissonance, from bebop onwards - the sound you think of now as generic "jazz" was originally an avant-garde move many jazz fans hated. The music had to be kept particular, and cutting-edge, and often angry. This leads to the incredible sounds coming out of black music today, which, whatever you think of them as music, have never been made before.

No. The reason people in the 50s dress like they listen to jazz is because people who listen to jazz now often dress like it was the fifties. Jazz is associated with retro stuff, and this is the fault of the recording industry, who marginalized jazz when it was undergoing its second revolution in favour of white beat groups, and preppy useful idiots like Wynton Marsalis.

That is, it's partly Marsalis's fault later, not that the record companies abandoned jazz for him.

>this thread lol

Sup Forums used to be so bluepilled on shit. This is quite surprising tbqhwu

But the OP is assinine. The guy is saying "why do black people in old photos look like black jazz musicians from the same era in old photos"?

it was more the responses that were more satisfying. OP's original question was indeed asinine and broadly general.

Nothing really, the ones in the left are just dressed diferently.

I don't think this has anything to do with race, rather to do with the welfare state, the glorification of criminal activity in certain cultures and so forth, which again isn't a racial issue, but rather a cultural issue. This is why I believe there shouldn't be a "white community" or "black community" with separate cultures. If people dared to identify with their nationality, or, god forbid, their shared humanity, this would probably not be happening.

get off Sup Forums and maybe you'll get a worldview that isn't BLACKED

The next generation grew up listening to Jazz/Blues and Soul but that was their parents music so they took what they new and made it their own, they grew up throughout the crack era so were from impoverished areas with very little possibilty of getting instruments and fancy music lessons, so you take whats available to you and get creative. And then you have to win over a hostile crowd with your personality/charisma.

Hip hop's the black equivalent to punk at it's core, it doesn't follow the class-based westernised idea that complexity = good. All you need is a hard kick and a well placed snare to get a whole crowd moving; why alienate? It's community music (just not a community you are part of).

The 70s and 80s happened- by the 1970s black Americans were beginning to achieve parity with whites in terms of educational and economic outcomes (at least in many of the larger urban areas) then the Fairness Doctrine ended, gentrification happened and then crack.

Not necessarily that crack was being taken by a lot of black folks but, rather, that it become highly profitable and gave small time gangsters big money. Which of course meant violence followed to control the flow of drugs and money, destroying many of the black urban areas not being gentrified.

Also didn't help that the rise if 'conservative' talk radio in the 1980s, and the Roger Ailes programme of taking over the media kicked in- turning the white working class against integration- but this is part of a broader trend of 'special interest politics', the end of mass collective action and the rise of narrow interest political campaigning, so rather than Civil Rights you now have black rights or for example remember the rise in parents groups in the 80's and 90s campaigning on single issues like gun control.

Then again, to an extent, black communities were always ridden with criminality (like most of poor America) i's just more visible as part of the Ailes doctrine to scare you shitless

That's a big jump of an assumption, personal preferences of each gender may be a societal construct, but whether you're a man or woman is very fucking black and white. Believing otherwise is literally no different to schizophrenic style delusion and identity crisis.

Honestly at this point I'm just impressed how every day on mu.com some sheltered moron is able to find a new way to phrase this stupid fucking topic

You seem pretty educated user, good job.

basically everyone dresses like they listen to rap music now. Mainly because America, the Great Satan has the weltgeist in a chokehold (and has had it so since 1945)

I am more fascinated with that picture. Imagine a world where Jackson wasn't a pedo and nutjob but kept making good pop music?

How much coverage was Prince getting before he died? Could you name his last five albums without checking?

Jackson's insanity kept him in the public eye. He would have been sidelined like all the other pre-hip-hop black musicians.

I couldn't name the last 5 albums of either before they died. I just found it to be interesting as a concept and that image to be pretty cool itself as this was pre-photoshop era.

I guess what I mean is it may not have been best for his career, but was interesting as a concept to think about in general.

This is a weird post.

as a general rule black people are more conformist than the other races when it comes to things like music. you can not listen to hip hop but you'll be seen as someone trying to hide their blackness

t.black person

he wasnt

Name one incredible sound coming out of black music today and prove that it is incredible beyond a shadow of a doubt.