What are some essential movies from German cinema?

What are some essential movies from German cinema?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=orHfgnsJWd4
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Der Clown

Fassbinder made like 100 movies

M
Die 1000 Augen des Dr. Mabuse
Nosferatu

The original version from 1959 only, though.

The Cabinet of Doctor Caligari

Even Dwarfs Started Small

Aguirre the Wrath of God

Nosferatu

Yes, I like Herzog.

Every Otto Waalkes movie.

youtube.com/watch?v=orHfgnsJWd4

Fassbinder is one of the GOATS. Beware a Holy Whore is his 8 1/2, Ali is an affecting love story, Chinese Roulette, World on a Wire is way ahead of its time, Bitter Tears of Petra von Kant, theres a lot more. Herzog is also fantastic.

Anyone seen Germany in Autumn? I have it sitting on my hard drive, thinking about giving it a go.

"The lives of others" was great

only the fassbinder bit which has stuck with me years later

Olympia and the Triumph of the Will are great movies in their own right, astounding examples of ideologized cinematography and propaganda - I've shown them multiple times to people and they all loved them.

Das Boot

I second this entire post.

Try harder Sup Forums
It's great but there is some stuff going on about Germany and remembering the past. Don't know how much of it non-germans can grasp.

>Germany and remembering the past
I found out about the movie because I was looking at films made about red guerrillas in the western world (like the Red brigades here in Italy) - is it that hard to get proper context to the movie, or a Wikipedia dive is kind of enough to cover it?

>Pola Kinski claimed in her biography, Kindermund (2013) (English: The Mouth of a Child), to have been sexually abused by her father between the ages of 5 and 19.[1] She was afraid to tell anyone until she was 19, when she told her mother and stepfather.
>In 2013, Nastassja Aglaia Kinski confirmed that he tried with her, but did not succeed.
>"He was no father. 99 percent of the time I was terrified of him. He was so unpredictable that the family lived in constant terror."

hahaha classic Kinski

>He doesn't know about Der Jude and thinks it's just a Sup Forums meme

It's just not very good as a propaganda movie, honestly.

These are, or Dziga Vertov's, for example.

nobody really talks about this

But it's history and why it was made is makes it an essential German movie

Good. You should.

But it's just not very good - Birth of a Nation is an essential American movie becuase of its value as a movie, not because it's history or it reflects the zeitgeist of the moment of its conception.