How is it that a band could write such beautiful music and such cringey god awful lyrics?

How is it that a band could write such beautiful music and such cringey god awful lyrics?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=S0MzeMfcGxA
youtube.com/watch?v=mcYgNcUQVu4
twitter.com/AnonBabble

because they're pretty much totally disconnected skills. good poets do not good musicians make, and vice versa. That's why I think the highest musical genius is being able to do both, even doing one amazingly and the other just pretty well. It's a rare skill.

90s are full of these: Nirvana, NIN, Hum, Incubus, RHCP were great musicians with terrible lyrics.

The only band that could do both flawlessly was Soundgarden.

stop you dont mean that

wtf
nirvana had great lyrics

whoa whoa whoa there how can you hate on Nirvana lyrics and then praise Soundgarden as being a literally flawless band

is this b8 it's 4:09 AM i can't tell

No they didn't:
RAPE MEEEEEEEEE
RAPE MEEEEEEEEE MY FRIEND
and so on

>posts six words
>and so on
>I've accurately represented the lyrical quality of this band

I'm not like them
But I can pretend
The sun is gone
But I have a light
The day is done
But I'm having fun
I think I'm dumb
Or maybe just happy
Think I'm just happy
My heart is broke
But I have some glue
Help me inhale
And mend it with you
We'll float around
And hang out on clouds
Then we'll come down
And have a hangover, have a hangover

VS

Painted blue across my eyes
And tied the linen on
And I'm on my way
Looking for the paradigm
So I can pass it off
Is it on my side, on my side
Is to the sky, is to the sky, is to the sky now
Searching for the ground with my good eye closed
If I took you for a ride, would you take it wrong?
Or would you make it right, make it right?
Looking for a pedestal that I can put you on
And be on my way, on my way

Soundgarden just rapes it.

nerds

go back to your power metal

I'm on my time with everyone
I have very bad posture

Sit and drink Pennyroyal Tea
Distill the life that's inside of me
Sit and drink Pennyroyal Tea
I'm anemic royalty

Give me a Leonard Cohen afterworld
So I can sigh eternally
I'm so tired I can't sleep
I'm a liar and a thief

VS

Tears of the feeble
Hands of the slaves
Skin of the mothers
Mouths of the babes
Building the towers
Belongs to the sky
When the whole thing comes crashing down
Don't ask me why
Don't ask me why
Under the shelf
The shelf of the sky
Two eyes, two suns
Too heavenly blinds
Swallowing rivers
Belongs to the sea
When the whole thing washes away
Don't run to me

Soundgarden RAPES it

for one i actually find soundgarden to be really musically unpleasant, but for another I actually prefer the first lyrics. I feel like the soundgarden ones are trying too hard to be deep, not just in the sample you posted but in most of their work (at least the work that I've heard, which is pretty much just their two biggest albums). I prefer the straightforwardness of Nirvana's lyrics, I think they mix ambiguity with directness in the right balance, and better match the feel of their style of grunge than do soundgarden's.

found the NERD

go back to your POWER METAL

you NERD

SPOOOOON
MAAANN

the Nirvana lyrics are much better in both examples lol

I find Nirvana to be musically unpleasant. I think Kurt Cobain's directness is just a substitute for a lack of imagination and ambition. Chris Cornell's songs are infinitely more interesting than anything by Nirvana because they dared to be different and required a little imagination beyond describing things and moods. Who cares about matching the style of grunge? Both bands didn't call themselves "grunge". Soundgarden's lyrics and music were better than Nirvana's period point blank.

Teenage angst has paid off well
Now I'm bored and old
Self-appointed judges judge
More than they have sold
If she floats than she is not
A witch like we had thought
A down payment on another
One at Salem's lot
Serve the servants - oh no
That legendary divorce is such a bore
As my bones grew they did hurt
They hurt really bad
I tried hard to have a father
But instead I had a dad

VS

You wired me awake
And hit me with a hand of broken nails
You tied my lead and pulled my chain
To watch my blood begin t boil
But I'm gonna break I'm gonna break my
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
Yeah I'm gonna break I'm gonna break my
Too cold to start a fire
I'm burning diesel burning dinosaur bones
I'll take the river down to still water and ride a pack of dogs
But I'm gonna break I'm gonna break my
Hit like a Phillips head into my brain
It's gonna be too dark to sleep again
Cutting my teeth on bars and rusty chains

Holding back the fool pretends
I forget to forget nothing is important
Holding back the fool again

Axl Rose was a better lyricist than Kurt Cobain for fuck's sake.

yeah, complexity/literary high-mindedness doesn't necessarily foster good lyricism, and definitely doesn't in this case.

ok confirmed b8 i'm audi rdx

>hey this subjective opinion is fact

i could never get into soundgarden
theyre just one of the 90s bands piggy backing nevermind

he literally rhymed "Royal Tea" with "royalty"

I'm just doing exactly what that faggot did, faggot. Go suck Kurt's shriveled dick.

pretty clever actually

they literally released 3 albums before Nevermind.

If you're 15 years old.

Kurt was praised because of the simplicity of his guitar playing and writing. As simple as they were they were catchy as fuck and that's why he's mentioned as much as Kek.
>comparing Kek to Cobain
I've heard something related to Cobain IRL and on this imageboard nearly as much as I hear faggots praising our one true god

Listened to Gish? Imo gish had great lyrics and beautiful music to accompany.

You're almost as annoying as this guy

This is the most b8 post ITT

Nah it's pretty good and it works for the song which is what matters

It works for the most forgettable song on that album? what an accomplishment guess all the praise for a shitty guitar player and lyricist is valid.

yeah idk exactly what your point is but i find that pretty clever, identical homophone but different meaning without being balls to the wall "a thousand sun's could blank my stare/a thousand deaths i couldn't care/beseech the living ends will come/the threads that tie us fray, undone" edgy stuff like Soundgarden so often is.

Not even memeing friendo I see something about Cobain on a daily basis. I see Kek related shit on a daily basis too just the other day I saw some group of kids in public yelling "Praise Kek"

smashing pumpkins> alice in chains> nirvana> stone temple pilots> pearl jam > ur mums sweaty hams> sound garden

It's a dumb little pun but it plays off Nirvana's aesthetic really well, actually, it's not like it's making a deep statement, it's just an innocuous neat little lyric

It's interesting how you think lyrics that are imaginative and interesting are "edgy" while lyrics from the guy who wrote RAPE MEEEEEEEEEEEEE aren't.

SPOOOOON MAAAAN

grow up

It sure is dumb, like everything written by Nirvana that isn't Drain You.
SELLLLLLLL THE KIIIIIIIIDS FOR FOOD

>shitty guitar player
I have to disagree some of his guitar work is bretty good but I wouldn't look at Nevermind or In Utero for that if you ever listened to Incesticide or With the Lights Out some of Cobains guitar work is pretty out there.
Also
>most forgettable song on the album
It's one of the best known songs they've made thanks to In Utero and Unplugged I don't think you know what you're talking about

Nature is a whore
*lights Parliament*

>what is cherry picking?

That's a cool line though and it's catchy and captures your attention.

Lol it's the most forgettable song on both those albums, dummy. And this is an album with THREE Meat Puppets covers. and many of Kurt's contemporaries said he was a very unskilled guitarist.

So you admit you're cherrypicking what you consider to be Nirvana's most forgettable songs to prove their lyrics are shit? Nirvana's music is anything but complex, their chord progressions are all copy pasted and the lyrics are simple but so are the emotions they're trying to convey. A band doesn't have to have 2deep lyrics to be good.

>That's a cool line though and it's catchy and captures your attention.
You sure convinced me! It's stupid and makes me wince . Whenever it comes on the radio I sing along with it in a retard voice. It totally fits.

Alice in Chains should be before Smashing Pumpkins and Nirvana before them too otherwise bretty good list. I really wish SP did more like stuff like their SP and Moon demos

i think rape me is their worst famous song, lyrically. can't really listen to it myself. That said, you can literally free associate Soundgarden lyrics, they're like proggy lyrics. Like if you like Soundgarden, you probably also really like Rush lyrics.

"in the city of broken dreams
the concrete thread bursts at the seams
curdle my blood and crush my bones
like Jericho like sticks and stones"

don't feel like i could do the same with Nirvana

Ok and why don't you look at the original argument of the thread and get out of my face. Thanks for agreeing that Nirvana has shitty lyrics.

I can mimic the bland dime a dozen lyricism that says a million things that have been said before of Cornell any day, but most never come close to capturing Cobain's style of writing.

EVERYONE IN THIS THREAD IS A STUPID FUCKING TURBO-NERD

GET A LIFE YOU STUPID FUCKS

WHO CARES IF YOU LIKE ONE BAND OR THE OTHER

WHO CARES

WHO CARES!!!

WHO CARES?!?!!!!

NO ONE CARES!!!!

NERDS!! GIRLS WILL TALK TO YOU IF YOU STOP ARGUING STUPID SHIT!!

WHO CARES!!

I mostly agree with you, but Nirvana's chord progressions are deceptively complex, kind of like the Beatles. It's not math rock or King Crimson or anything, but I can't think of any other songs that use the In Bloom chord progression off the top of my head.

>very unskilled guitarist
He was lazy but he wasn't unskilled Forgotten Tune is a great example of his better guitar work I really think you should give a listen to their stuff on Incesticide or With the Lights Out it's a lot different from their big 3 LPs he's definitely not unskilled.

>don't feel like i could do the same with Nirvana
Pixies? Butthole Surfers? Sonic Youth? did you start listening to music last year?

i like the pixies, not butthole surfers, sonic youth is hit or miss. how does that relate to what I was saying though? I thought we were comparing the lyrics of two bands, Nirvana and Soundgarden

>but most never come close to capturing Cobain's style of writing.
Literally every underground band of the 80s poaved the way for Kurt Cobain's toe curling "lyricism". Ever heard of a guy named Michael Stipe?

You say Justin Bieber-I say ACDC

You say Miley Cyrus-I say Led Zepplin

You say T-Pain-I say Slipknot

You say Flowers-I say?? Metallica

You say Pink-I say Iron Maiden

You? say Hip Hop-i say? shut the ---- up

You say Pop-I scream Heavy Metal!!

You say? hanah montana-i ------- punch you in the face

92% of teenagers have turned to Hip Hop and Pop.If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music,copy? and paste this message to another 5? videos. DON'T? LET? THE? SPIRIT OF ROCK DIE

Why do you have to type like such an angsty teenager why can't we have a level headed conversation do you have to take the piss out of everything?

We are talking about "lyrical free association". I can look at the lyrics for Debaser or Wave of Mutilation and see Kurt Cobain writing that. Don't get me started on Sonic Youth and its aptly named "Total Trash".

sounds like you're insecure (:

Because everyone came at me for praising Soundgarden and I have to give it back.

gross

EVERYONE IN THIS THREAD IS A STUPID FUCKING TURBO-NERDEVERYONE IN THIS THREAD IS A STUPID FUCKING TURBO-NERDEVERYONE IN THIS THREAD IS A STUPID FUCKING TURBO-NERDEVERYONE IN THIS THREAD IS A STUPID FUCKING TURBO-NERD

STOP IT!!!!

GOOD BANDS! THEY WOULDn"T WANT YOU DOING THIS!! STOP THE ARGUGING!!!

i like pixies, nirvana, and a lot of Sonic Youth lyrics on the two albums of theirs that I listen to more, so the idea that you can see Kurt Cobain writing them doesn't really take away from my position that he's a good lyricist, or at least better than Soundgarden, who are writing Jethro Tull-tier lyrics.

I listened to Incesticide. The best song on there was a cover of a song by Devo.

I didn't come at you

Were you looking at Kurt Cobain's lyrics when you wrote that?

Simple =\= shitty, faggot

b8

What about Mexican Seafood. Hairspray Queen, Dive, and Beeswax. Those are all 10/10 Nirvana songs.

>I don't like Nirvana

then get out of this thread

Ahhhh i get it: You like the meaningless blunt stream of consciousness lyrics rather than lyrics that invoke imagery and larger than life ideals. Tell me what you think of this little ditty by one of Kurt's contemporaries:

There must be something we can eat
Maybe find another lover
Should I fly to Los Angeles
Find my asshole brother
Mickey mouse has grown up a cow
Dave's on sale again
We kissy kiss in the rear view
We're so bored, you're to blame
Try to see it once my way
Everything zen, everything zen
I don't think so
Everything zen, everything zen
I don't think so
Raindogs howl for the century
A million dollars at stake
As you search for your demigod
And you fake with a saint

I like Nirvana as an idea. Unfortunately his lyrics are horrible and his guitar playing is average.

>IM A HUGE STUPID NERD

to me soundgarden is just tool-lite in the worst possible way. theyre one of the few bands i got bored with after realizing im skipping them everytime they come on itunes. their lyrics really are cringey and not one song is fun to listen to

maybe power metal is more your speed

>implying Tool is bad
I remember my edgy p4k days too. But more to the point: Soundgarden has much better musicianship than Tool or Nirvana. Better lyrics than both as well. "not one song is fun to listen to" is an appropriate way to describe Nirvana's charmless dreck.

Maybe a Pretty Noose is more your speed

>90s "grunge"
>hahah the lyrics are so bad xDDD lol

It was a stylistic meme. They were essentially battling over who cared less about how bad their lyrics were.

Bush is an awful band and you should feel bad for even posting anything related to them

youtube.com/watch?v=S0MzeMfcGxA
Not charmless

youtube.com/watch?v=mcYgNcUQVu4
not "not fun"

>Soundgarden has much better musicianship than Tool
Not even close Tool is on a completely different level

I get that senpai, I think I'm pretty spoilt from listening to the kind of shit you mentioned. Nirvana's chords aren't generic and they sound great but I can see how people would get sick of them because they aren't too varied between songs. That said tracks like all apologies sound terrific and clearly have some complexity to them.

I'm not too sure but I think Tool's drummer might be a retarded person.

wow that's uncalled for

how's high school

i'm literally saying the opposite of that. "imagery and larger than life ideals" aren't inherently more present or better developed in more literary or complex lyrics. I think that Cobain's lyrics involve more imagery and clear metaphorical significance than Soundgarden, who as far as I can tell are basically throwing darts at their "bleak but multisyllabic" lyrical dartboard and writing what sticks. I'm not sure how it's evocative when it's unclear what they're trying to say.

and I hate Bush, for the record.

This is the coolest video of Smells Like Teen Spirit it always puts a smile on my face

i think tool is alright i meant tool is better at everything sound garden tries to do.

No imagery in Soundgarden? How could you not hear "I drink a river down to stillwater and ride a pack of dogs" and not instantly be taken there? You're broken.

I'm definitely sure you're retarded

>i meant tool is better at everything sound garden tries to do.
Except playing and writing music.

lateralus btfo everything soundgarden has ever made

Except Badmotorfinger and Superunknown.

where is "there", though? Like what does that lyric even mean?

You're taken to this man who wants to be free. The wild, the ethereal, the rebellious spirit. It's all there

sounds gay

Superunknown is pretty good but Lateralus is still better Badmotorfinger is meh