/who/ - Doctor Who General

Terminus edition.

Celebrate Nyssa here.
Don't reply to thread sabotage.

Last thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/1418916/billie-pipers-new-boyfriend-sniffs-coke-on-boozy-night-out-with-actress/
web.archive.org/web/20060314193835/http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/news/cult/news/drwho/2004/01/01/13691.shtml
theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/tvandradioblog/2014/aug/23/doctor-who-steven-moffat-sexism
guide.doctorwhonews.net/info.php?detail=ratings&type=date
blindgossip.com/?p=67366
blindgossip.com/?p=71806
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Terminus - Mary Ridge was an appalling director and screwed up recording so badly it overran by an entire day.

I don't know who is worse. Her or Lisa Goddard. Terrible choice.

I always fancied Lisa Goddard until finding out she shagged Colin Baker, Alvin Stardust and Michael Grade.
Nah...

mfw he didn't bring any crisps today

Lmfao

what's so funny?

Billie back on the Charlie:
thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/1418916/billie-pipers-new-boyfriend-sniffs-coke-on-boozy-night-out-with-actress/

JUST

yeah that's offputting
she is a terrible actress though just so wooden and anodyne
another one of JNT's great ideas

jesus christ

chuck em

>has 4 year old and 7 year old kids
>outside till 2am smoking coke instead
JUST

nice

Now that's what I call three bags full

light entertainment actress. friend of Michael Grade

bad casting

looks like roberts is laughing about davros again on twitter. definitely not working for moffat again. (he also made a dig at cyberwoman, but I suspect chibnall may agree with him on how awful that episode was)

fuck gareth

I feel sorry for her. What is she going to do now that Penny Dreadful ended?

Reminder of Billie Piper's ex-ex hubby.

heroin

FACT

peter capaldi is ruining doctor who
it no longer appeals to mainstream audiences

your b8 is ruining the the thread

She's better lay off the powder. She's playing Yerma at the Young Vic Waterloo for 2 months, starting end July.

i've been going through old BBC website archives and there are some really neat interviews. Here's an excerpt from Cartmel

>Q:So was the Seventh Doctor God?

>A:I've just seen an episode of The Simpsons where Ned Flanders turned out to be God. That worked rather well. As for the Doctor, I certainly thought it was an interesting notion if he turned out to be the Prime Mover. The butterfly wing that causes the hurricane. After all, that's virtually what his power amounts to. Doctor Who as God was considered a somewhat controversial notion, though.
>But then I came up with a concept that I like even better. That the Doctor and the Master are a single entity, one being, all powerful and both good and evil in balance. Light and darkness, yin and yang. That's probably also too controversial. Perhaps the Doctor should turn out to be Ned Flanders.

web.archive.org/web/20060314193835/http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/news/cult/news/drwho/2004/01/01/13691.shtml

I guess that settles that question then

>this show will never be this GOAT again

listened to this last night. pretty comfy lads, i've got to listen to some more big finish

Immigrant
The *addition of Jenny flint is just fine

Regardless, series 8 had the highest L+7 ratings average of all the nuwho series in the UK.

Then the ratings dropped off a cliff at the start of s9.

Why? Phuck knows. Possibly the Beeb broadcasting DW at the same time as the biggie rugby matches on the rival channel?

And the news of poor viewings has an ultimately negative effect: fewer people bothering to catch up, which results in even fewer people watching later episodes.

It's not like they marketed the start of the series very well.
>"Same old, same old" literally said in the trailer
>"BORN TO SAVE THE UNIVERSE" literally used as a tagline?

In the UK, the start of the new season was barely marketed at all.

And yes, the 'same old same old' line seems wrong now, but maybe the Beeb thought that was good after the previous season's high ratings.

BBC got lazy with promotion. They should have promoted Davros imo. The original synopsis for TMA made it sound like most of the episode was about planes stopping in the sky. That being said, I don't think the rating were as bad as people were saying. It was pretty consistent 5-6 Mil and went back up for the Christmas Special. The critical reviews were also really positive.

>Then the ratings dropped off a cliff at the start of s9.
because s8 ended shit
because Christmas episode was shit
because s9 was advertised with Missy who got killed 2 eps ago

>In the UK, the start of the new season was barely marketed at all.
that is not true - the trailer was on many many times

In comparison to other series, S9 seemed to not be hyped much whatsoever.

But tbf, not many current shows get to a 9th or 10th series and are still as exciting as they once were. If Chibnall doesn't reignite the old spark, get the UK back on board, the show will go the same way as Flop Gear now.

>the trailer was on many many times
Good promotion for a show does not equal playing a TV ad many many times.

Wait wait wait.

You mean... you mean the "Rose loved drugs" meme is actually not a meme but real?

>Series 10
>Ratings go back up
>Moffat and Capaldi ride out into the sunset
>Chibnall takes over
>Series 11 Airs
>Ratings drop lower than S9
>Only 4 Million for opening
>2 Million by the time the finale airs
>Show cancelled
>Chibnall blamed for the show's death
>Chibnall never works on another TV show again

>Entire line of spin-off novels/etc. begins that exists for the sole purpose of spitting on Chibnall's ashes and refuting everything he did with the show

>The critical reviews were also really positive.

"Doctor Who's ninth series received critical acclaim, and was hailed by many critics as the show's best season to date." (Wikipedia - dare I quote this???)

>RTD brought back the show with a monstrous school bully and a notorious drugged up teen

The absolute madman

>dare I quote this
Wot? But yeah they were positive. The only one that got bad reviews was Sleep No More.

John Wiles.

muh Mary Sue Clala
muh Ashildr
muh Ogsood
muh Female UNIT
muh Missy

of course they praised it

I didn't see one single trailer for s9.

Maybe I wasn't watching at the right time.

hi Sup Forums

>Rumours of Tennant reportedly hitting on his wife too

He's not wrong though. There wasn't any male secondary character except in Face the Raven.

muh shitty response mate
did your bra get caught in your dildo again?

thank you.

and he HAD to be male because he was a dick who caused all the trouble

>I've just seen an episode of The Simpsons where Ned Flanders turned out to be God.
What the fuck is he on about? Is he massively misinterpreting the episode where Flanders turns out to be Satan?

>Perhaps the Doctor should turn out to be Ned Flanders.
This is the most sensible thing I've read today.

>What the fuck is he on about?
He said he just seen an episode of The Simpsons where Ned Flanders turned out to be God.

ROSE

LOVED

DRUGS

Moffat should learn to ignore articles like this (and worse)

theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/tvandradioblog/2014/aug/23/doctor-who-steven-moffat-sexism

and just concentrate on what he does best - writing great eps like Heaven Sent, Blink, Girl in the Fireplace, Eleventh Hour, Pandorica Opens/ Big Bang, Listen, +++about another 30 others.

What?

Ah, that two parter was something special...

Phuck sake. It's b8 m8.

I can't put my finger on why, but I know several 'watch every Saturday' fans who stopped watching and still haven't even finished s9.

I almost stopped, it's never felt so stale and uninspired.

>implying you don't get itchy
>implying you don't scratch it
>implying that its wrong for everyone to do so
>implying that there's something wrong with enjoying a nice piece of cake

The book that the TV eps originated from was good too.

>it's never felt so stale and uninspired.
Series 7?

exactly this.

it made me laugh when they did the Bill announcement during the football in a bid to "get a whole new audience" (the words of Edward Russell, a DW 'brand manager) pahaha. they probably saw that and laughed their heads off at it, shrugging it off as some cliched shitty old sci-fi show that used to be popular but hasn't been (apart from in america and uk fan circles) for ages now

*better

No it's not.

It was on too late and they kept pushing it later at night. What the fuck was that about?

Yeah Capaldi said people were coming up to him asking what time it was on and he had no idea because BBC kept changing it around.

Inconsistent scheduling has been going on for years. I remember the grim times during early Matt Smith when it would be on at fucking 5.45 one week.

Someone at the BBC once held the view that Doctor Who was so popular, that they could shift it around and the viewers would just follow. Obviously this has backfired, and puts people off. If it's an important show for the BBC, which it is and should be, it should be given a timeslot and should (roughly) stick to it.

>the books will never be that GOAT again

it's shown at that time elsewhere in the world
DW is trapped in this "but it's for 5yos" black hole in the UK

The merch and figures are lower quality, the DVD's have less content, Confidential is gone, no more prequels/minisodes. What is the next thing to go?

That was The Snowmen, which aired at 5:15.

No other Matt Smith aired before 6pm, although I will admit it kept changing every other week.

guide.doctorwhonews.net/info.php?detail=ratings&type=date

>tfw no comfy capaldi and jenna confidential episodes
was a sad day when BBC cancelled that

Peter Capaldi.

blindgossip.com/?p=67366

blindgossip.com/?p=71806

DOCTOR WHO?

this is directly the opposite of the 'people make their own schedule in the 21st century' rhetoric

I was probably thinking of the end of S5 and start of S6 when it was on at 6pm. It's not an issue with Christmas specials.

That was a ridiculous time to intro the new companion, especially with a cheapo cobbled together audition vid.

Why?? Just a simple news statement noting Pearl's GOAT West End reviews would have been perfectly fine.

If the various trips of /who/ were in charge of series 10, what kind of series would we see?

hmm?

I had friends asking me when it was on who watch with their son. They stopped altogether 'cause they thought it was too late.

Not only is it a timing thing, but they spent ages shifting the show to Autumn/August, only for it now to be heading back to Spring (where it won't be up against other Saturday night entertainment)

Also, part of it is: the general UK just don't care as much about the show as they used to. Seems to be a lot of Tennant hate here but those were the days when everyone seemed to be talking about the show.

it made the show look like a cheap pantomime instead of making it look interesting for adults to tune in to

Cats would make a low-rent knockoff of the John Wiles era and kill a load of characters.

There are no trips left

Series 7 wasn't great but part one was at worst fun schlock, The Snowmen was good (though I wish we'd kept grumpy Doctor/Victorian Clara dynamic) and part two had some GOAT SMith moments.

Series 9 felt like they were trying too hard whilst simultaneously not trying hard enough.

Lazy stories, bad pacing, poor direction and some of the worst special effects I've seen on the show, followed a 'heart wrenching' monologue from Capaldi at the end as if it somehow masks the detritus with five minutes of Peter's acting chops.

They were trying too hard to have a message make the audience emotional without trying hard enough to make good television. I never felt "sucked in" during Series 9 and was always aware that I was just sat watching a program, which made these feeble attempts to tug my heart strings feel very disingenuous.

Do you have trouble reading or comprehending English?

Series 9 wasn't 6-7pm friendly either - check out that Zygon story, for example. That's partly why they aired it later. Cos the production team lost sight of their audience (do they even know who they're aiming for these days??), S9, as good or bad as it was, felt more like a 9pm drama.

>that second one
All I can think of now is Moffat saying Brian Minchin told him Maisie was perfect for the role of Ashildr.

Exactly, and like ANYONE watching the football would give a shit?? The clip was shite to start with, and it was embarrassing to air it during the football. (Bet you could ask any football fan watching that day about it, and they'll have forgotten or given 0 shits about it)

if you're gunna do a promo during the football, it needs to be a well known name too.

>Just a simple news statement noting Pearl's GOAT West End reviews would have been perfectly fine
Those don't exist though

NuWho was brand new back then.
It's been on for 11 years ago. It's just not going to have that new factor regardless of the stories qualities.

oops meant to write now not ago

I think people underestimate kids. My 9 year old cousin liked those episodes and whatever he didn't understand about them he was still entertained enough to sit still for 45 minutes.

It's a brand now too, arguably more so. But one that isn't selling or working much for the UK, because it's too up its own arse and made for the American tween/cosplay type of fan.