30 minute analysis of Frownland by Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band

30 minute analysis of Frownland by Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band

youtube.com/watch?v=-FhhB9teHqU

This seems interesting. It's a shame he only reviews one song.

tbf he spent 30 minutes constructing the one song into a score

a full album review would be hours

Does he even do reviews? I just checked his previous videos and they're all in-depth analyses of 20th century classical music, not actual reviews.

Trout Mask Replica is more avant than The Beatles.

I guess he doesn't but you know what I mean, every track on the album would be something like 15-30 minutes of video

MY SMILE IS STUCK

this is really good

He even transcribed it. I don't even know what to say. Such dedication is rarely seen on YouTube.

>it's a some nerd tries to quantify the greatness of beefheart episode

he couldn't read or write music.

WHAT THE FUCK SAM

I thought you were above pop muzak? Wasting time listening to this pop garbage lolrandumbxD bullshit and analyzing it. You lowered yourself to the level of an underage Sup Forumstant you dumb cunt. Stick to Western Art Music or im unsubbing

Autism. Fix yourself.

this video is autism in its purest form user.

>he couldn't read or write music.
Oh, really? And what about the fact that he had a Howlin' Wolf style voice but x10? You know who else cant't read or write music? Tommy Emmanuel, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Eric Clapton and Tony Williams. And they are all worthless because of that? Get out.

>this video is autism in its purest form user.
I don't have an argument and I don't have a first clue on music theory and instruments: The post.

I'm so so sorry I have higher standards than you. Fuck my critical thinking and higher education and hard work right? Because at the end of the day, we all the just same right? Im just like you right? Pathetic untermensch probably working min wage with no future prospects? I'm really sorry I'lll learn my place Ill be a good boy. Because we're all one race the human race

dude even if you're just joshing you're so far gone

lmao yeah man keep being superior and fight the good fight

>popular and nigger (jazz) music
Yeah, they're all worthless.

>popular and nigger (jazz) music
I should've known from the beginning.

an autistic theory-heavy dissection of their, or anyone else's work would be just as pointless.

beefheart attracts the worst kind of muso nerds. he dug the blues, he had a great voice, he tried to make money with trash like diddy wah diddy and failed. then he did a lot of acid and his natural genius emerged. end of story. trying now to explain why it is great with music theory is fucking pathetic. just look at this geek in that suit. look at the loser fans that always show up in documentaries about him.

fuck you and your theory autism. it is of no value.

Ad hominem attacks:
>His clothes
>Geek
>Loser fans
How does any of this have an effect on his music?

jesus christ is english your first language?

And why are music transcriptions and music theory pointless for any piece of music?

No, it's not. And what exactly is wrong with my grammar? Again, you're just baiting and you don't have any real arguments.

I think they're fine, not as an end in themselves, but feel free to use them as a tool. just know that Beefheart had nothing to do with that, he was just doing dada (anti-art and anti-formalization) in a rock context, so applying theory to his music is just a fun novelty

I wasn't aware of this. Thank you.

I think anyone who distances beefheart (or most popular acts) and formalism so much just doesn't "get it"

It takes some serious brains to make a pop masterpiece, such as TMR

If only Sup Forums could have discussion on the level this guy does this analysis, but instead it's just this shit

>he was just doing dada (anti-art and anti-formalization) in a rock context
This is actually reasonable. But wouldn't transcriptions of those songs be of interest to you? They were played by 20 year olds. And it was and still is very complex music. As a guitar player, I find Zoot Horn Rollo's and Jeff Cotton's guitar playing very interesting. It is abrasive, but it's still intriguing.

that would be great! then every thread would be autists using music theory to explain why songs are good and we could all feel superior to plebs who just like them because they sound amazing.

You're doing the same thing, don't you realize that? And how about making this place less cancerous?

It's almost like you just have a vague idea of what music theory is and an insecurity about how little you know about it, so you get mad at the concept for no reason.

Nowhere in music theory does it say what music is good and what's bad, and nowhere does it even provide the tools to determine that. Anyone who acts otherwise is lying and trying to look big. It's simply the tools for the analysis of a piece. It's like having a bigger vocabulary- it just allows you to better describe and compare music. chill out