There are people on Sup Forums rught now who suggest the U-Turn Orbit

>no pitch control
>no 45 RPM setting
>shitty external belt thing

Seriously fuck this turntable. Even Crosleys and the AH LP-60 have those things. The only thing the Orbit has going for it is that it won't ruin your records.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=p7SNereidyk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It does have 45 RPM

Not OP but do you have to manually re-seat the belt or something for 45?

You forgot to mention the built in preamp is optional and adds $100 to the price.

yeah, but its no big deal, you just switch the belt from the smaller loop on the motor to the wider one. A lot of belt drive (which most higher end turntables are) use this.

Why would I want pitch control

Why wouldn't you?

I own this table. I like it more then say a lp120 because it us more stripped back.
>pitch control
Dont need it cause its a good player with very consistent speed. I have perfect pitch and have never heard mine run sharp or flat.
>45 rpm
Well i dont listen to 45s but yeah it has a 45 rpm setting that does require manually moving the belt but it really takes about as long as pushing a button.
>external belt
You mean the way almost all very high end turn tables operate? Yeah the external belt is a pro not a con.

The lack of needless features also means that, as someone with a small background in electronics and instrument repair, if anything malfuntions with this table i can have it up and running smooth as can be within an hour and a half of any parts i would need being delivered.

I've never felt the need to pitch-shift a record that I'm listening to and I never will, unless the record is a shit pressing.

i've had it with le audio phils
if it spins records, sounds good, and doesn't break, you can write down your complaints on a piece of paper, roll it and stick it up your ass

t. someone who has never owned a turntable more than 5 years old

Why hasn't you guys switched over to hi-res digital yet? You can complain about shitty mastering all you want, which is a valid problem with a lot of digital releases but if you care about audio quality then you're probably using a player that has volume normalization.

I dont have a pic but i also own a dual from 1971. I do like that turn table more but my dad wouldnt let me take it with me when i left home so i bought a u turn. Pretty similar in my mind just made with two different concepts in mind. The u turn is simplistic and made that way so you can fix any issues with it yourself. When my dual broke down it took about three weeks to get it repaired.

Post yfw direct drive Stantons are superior

overpriced garbage

>he thinks electronics haven't improved since the turntable he bought when we was a highschool stoner came out

you didn't even mention the actual issue with it, there's no antiskate

it has internal anti-skate

Sorry OP, your anti shill thread failed.

If anything, people's responses in here have made me want to get one for my first table even more desu senpai

OP was truly wrong, will he ever recover

The external belt that you have to shift manually is extremely common in modern high-end turntables.

That's why you own a real receiver, pleb

I saved about $50 by going for this fully restored Dual instead, because I like having the semi-automatic functionality (especially when I'm listening to my comfy warm ambient LPs on headphones at night, if I fall asleep I like having one that auto-returns) but if I were to buy a new one it would have probably been the U-Turn

You mentioned "The only thing the Orbit has going for it is that it won't ruin your records."

What are you referencing regarding "other" players that cause record damage?

Not dissing, just wondering.

Turntables that ruin your records generally have faults that fall into 2 categories, and that is they
>have a ceramic cartridge (which plays back loud enough to be heard without a preamp, but presents the sound without the proper RIAA equalization), which sound like shit and are not kind to your vinyl. Common in Crosleys, Jensen, and other cheap turntables
>have no counterweight and track too heavily, putting more pressure on the grooves and damaging them
The turntable you've pictured looks like it's cheap and will break sooner rather than later, however it has both an adjustable counterweight and what looks like a standard headshell mount, meaning neither should be an issue so long as you've got it weighted properly and are using a cartridge with a diamond stylus, and even if you aren't you can fix those things.
The LP-60 actually is well engineered (it's Japanese designed, duh) despite being inexpensive, and it's generally decently manufactured and sounds not bad for its price range, really quite passable. However it is made of plastic, and the cartridge does not use a standard mount, so that definitely makes it a low-end piece of gear. The majority of the hate that it gets is just from being "normie's first turntable" though, it's really probably kinder to records and sounds better than the department store plastic turntables and all-in-one component systems most people were using in the 80s.

This is correct.

I had an LP60 for two years before I had the money to upgrade and none of my records have any noticeable damage, some of which I played dozens of times, so yeah

I wasn't looking for misrepresentation regarding the "quality" of my turntables.
Thanks for the counterweight and cartridge info.

I was just looking at one of these for my first turntable. This thread has left me confused.

This.

Basically you won't find a respectable turntable made of plastic, is the thing. It's so inherently associated with being destined-to-fail junk that anyone trying to market their products to people with pre-existing knowledge of audio equipment wouldn't do it.
That particular model also has reported motor problems. However, in the end, it is a DJ turntable, and people seem to say that (if yours works) it's good for that. And it's not going to ruin your records.

If you're set on buying new, you can't do better for the money if your only goal is to listen to your records. It's stripped back in features but they're things you don't "need" anyway
However, you can probably get something more featured for less money on the vintage market.

youtube.com/watch?v=p7SNereidyk
seems pretty cheap desu. It looks nice but the dust cover hinges and the tonearm seem really weak

see vid in

Buying new and buying American are both appealing to me. This would be my first foray into vinyl, and while I'm sure I'll eventually enjoy futzing with vintage equipment, for now I think I want something that will just work.

What are recommended pre-amps? I was looking at U Turn's Pluto and Schitt's comperable unit. Both made in America.

>I have perfect pitch
you don't

and when you try to switch the whole thing comes off and it's just a pain. I can just pop a button on my LP120, it has a classic and easy to work counterweight, adjustable anti-skate, I can stop the motor without turning the whole thing off, the dustcover isn't crap and i can pop it up casually and it stays, I can put it through USB into my PC, and i can adjust playback speed. For cheaper than the deluxe version of the Uturn.

Do you have a receiver and speakers? If not, get an old one with a phono input. Better deal all around than buying a new preamp, which I don't really have any opinion on because getting a quality one runs much more than finding an old, beautiful indestructible Pioneer around here. And vinyl is better with speakers imo
I think the Pluto is generally well-received so might as well combine shipping if you're going that route.

The pic is not the model I have. I couldn't find a pic of the TTx1.

In terms of construction, the Numark TTX-1 turntable is made of a Solid core steel top and a hard rubber base, making it even heavier than the SL-1200s.

Never had any issues with the motors.

>yout
The Lp120 is mostly plastic. It weights a fucktonne but it is.

I was going to get a pre-amp and powered speakers, which I'd also hook up to my TV.

I do have very good headphones too, which make sense with a pre-amp, but I'd probably do all of my listening through speakers.

Any thoughts? I'm very new to the hardware side of audio.