Are there any millwrights or engineers on Sup Forums?

are there any millwrights or engineers on Sup Forums?

i have a question

no theres only 12 yr old children on Sup Forums

yes you are gay

I'm a research physicist. I spent a year in mech eng before I got bored. Shoot

I'm a machinist.

Still there?

i'm meca based engineer, i can't try to answer

its about setting bevel gears. you ever done that? i need to know if when you set your float (bearing clearence) on the crown wheel, do you measure float of just the shaft in the housing without the pinion in the housing

or do you assemble the pinion and push the crown wheel all the way into the pinion and then zero your indicator and set your bearing cleance like that

Sorry bro I don't make any compound gears where I work.

right now i install the crown gear in the housing without the pinion and float the shaft to .006

but then when i put in the pinion and check the float on the crown wheel shaft i only have maybe .002

did you try have have sex with it?

not an engineer but imo it makes more sense to measure something when all the parts are assembled

its not float if its banging off of the pinion gears

no, it has a male input shaft

Yeah that always works.

I would recommend doing the crown wheel bearing float first and then assembling the pinion to get the correct gear mesh area on the teeth.

t. Mechanic

U need a metrologist, not a mechanical engineer.

I don't know the answer to that, but if you need help running an electron paramagnetic resonance rig just let me know

What a waste of good metal, fucking kill yourself.

but when i put the pinion assembly into the box i lose my clearence. when i float the shaft the crownwheel runs into the pinion at .002 or .003

I don't really understand how. Set the end float of the crown wheel assembly, lock. Set the pinion float using shims, check free play using feeler guage, measure gear mesh with engineering blue, lock.

Bevel gears...

It's pretty simple actually:
>kys
>shove dat shit up yo ass nigga
>die
>fap to hentai
>???
>nigger

is it common to float crown wheels?

ive always preloaded them. usually i work with small ones. this one is a bigger one

Well you can float them using a dial gauge or preload them using a fischer scale, depends on what setting you have on hand and depends on function of the assembly.