something about sharps and flats
chords are where you use lots of fingers
do notes that sound good after one another

wasn't too hard was it?

theres only TWELVE(12) notes

there are an infinite number of notes. just 12 are musical

Pretentious=/=condescending
Stop using this fucking word wrong retards

No, you can say something pretentious in a condescending manner, which is what you did

fpbp

So pretentious still doesn't mean condescending? What's your point

kek

All it takes is a good teacher

You did both retard

I think I have a pretty good understanding of theory, major, minor, etc but I can't seem to re create any given sound with a synthesizer. Like I'll hear a synth I like from a song and I can't really match the sound. Im using the analog synthesizer that comes with ableton. Any suggestions? I know how oscillators and filters work, yes.

basically what you were aiming for was "hey don't be mean" but what you hit was something more like "hey don't say words"

>Im using the analog synthesizer that comes with ableton
5/10 made me reply

I don't have money to buy Hollywood jew'd synths, user

How long have you been using synths? I feel like being able to recreate stuff just comes with time and practice.

I don't have much experience with softsynths but maybe you could pirate a nicer one or something

well then you either A., steal them, B., get a job, or C., accept the fact that you aren't going to be able to recreate professionally crafted synth patches with your babby's first ableton shit tier digital piece of trash "synth"

You don't even need an irl teacher. I'm teaching myself music theory by just watching some guy on youtube and taking down notes in a word document.

Look up tutorials on how to make multiple different types of sounds. Knowing what the different wavetables and effects sound like, as well as how they effect eachother, will eventually become second nature. You gotta put in the time of fiddling with the synth though, there's no way around that. It's like how you can expect to become good at playing the drums after a week, even though you know what the different drums are named and what they do.

>He buys his products
While I do respect it, you should pirate and then segue into purchasing. Shit like Omnisphere, Nexus 2, Lounge Lizard, etc. makes a huge difference in creating sounds.

Can one of you explain to me how LFOs work? I don't think I fully understand them. They're like envelopes, no? Also Serum is my favorite vst synth so far. I have no hardware synths.

heh

LFO stands for Low-frequency oscillation.

The short explanation:
Ever heard wubs in dubstep? This is how they are made, by increasing the low frequency oscillation speed you can essentially change how many wubs occur. You can change the tension, which determines how natural a wub sounds. You can change the skew, which determines and how sudden the hard the wub feels, and you can change the pulse width, which determines how long each wub is.

So altering the lower frequencies changes the whole sound. If I were to apply an LFO then EQ the lows out, would the LFOs affect cease?

>I think I have a pretty good understanding of theory
>major, minor, the list goes on
lol

LFOs are like envelopes, except the LFO isn't affected by you hitting a note, if that makes sense.
You know how an envelope has an attack and release? LFO's don't have that.
LFO's loop, envelopes don't. Envelopes restart when you press a new note.

ok what synth should i try if ive mastered the analog synth in ableton?

it just a wave that fucks with stuff. You could put an lfo to fuck with the volume, low pass filter, high pass filter, panning, etc

If this said uneducated instead of stupid he'd be right

They're just make low frequency oscillation that you can use for modulations. Like, for example, you can patch the pitch to the LFO and get vibrato with a rate that corresponds to the frequency. I hope that makes sense, I'm not good at explaining things.

Don't think of the 'low-frequency' term. The term has nothing to do with affecting low frequencies in your sound.
It doesn't neccesarily affect low frequencies. LFOs only affect what you map them to.

If you're talking hardware, you can get any of the commonly recommended affordable beginner synths, so like the microbrute, monologue, or ms-20 mini, or if you want a polysynth you could get a minilogue

If you're talking vsts, I don't really know

>LFOs are like envelopes, except the LFO isn't affected by you hitting a note, if that makes sense.
Yeah, that makes sense. Attack and release are affected by velocity, how long you hold a note, etc. But an LFO will have a consistent effect regardless. Thanks.
Yeah I'm starting to get it. Thank you.

Okay, so you get it, now lets move bigger scale.

So now take the same LFO wub concept, and apply it to anything, from panning, pitch, volume, mod, etc. And that's how you create wub effects. LFO is just a general appliance to affect things in a wave like manner.

Mind posting what videos on music theory you're watching?

Serum is a no brainer. Best all-purpose synth out there.
It's like $10 a month too.

Don't get an analog synth unless you actually care for them. They're niche things.

Not entirely, actual synths can sound entirely different from plugins. For the most part though, you should be able to design the proper sound from inside a VST or DAW tools or otherwise. Synths are a gimmick unless you have a purpose for them.

These are the ones I've seen so far, in the order I saw them in.
youtu.be/5Y01jIorpeA
youtu.be/3tbK2jtVRM8
youtu.be/rLhbK9g8yyE
youtu.be/Nr2XBoanNJY
youtu.be/rHlWP-nc4tM
youtu.be/xLaw0CLTNfA

it will probably fail horribly, but I plan make music without consulting any youtube videos or anything. I want to see what I can make with just my monophonic old synth and patience.

It'll probably just end up being twelve same and hold tracks layered on one another. oh well

how do you make the sounds like this at 2:02? and really throughout the chorus theres these little 1/8th or 1/16th notes that i have no idea how he made them. Sounds so cool tho

oops my bad
youtube.com/watch?v=F21aifX0lZY

WEEEEEEW LAD
I REMEMBA WEN U WAS A WEEE LITLE LAD

Don't cut your tummy on that edge lil dick boi.

You're a failure and a looser

Ask /r/synthrecipes

or what about exactly at 1:51. Not the high pitched voice sample, the other sound. What the fuck is THAT?

jej

should i buy a used dx7 or a new microbrute for my first real synth

main influences are devo, john maus, and joy division

I remember when I started learning theory I just wasn't getting anywhere. I then stopped listening to all of the music I listened to and only listened to early and modern classical. Whether I was walking to work or relaxing in my apartment, I was listening to classical. After a month, it had completely changed how I learned theory and composition.

Thanks dude

t. rockist

its just picking 6 or 7 notes and playing them together until they sound good. Use chords and single notes and boom you have a song

lol that noob

go to Rick Beato pls, he's a pro

youtube.com/user/pegzch

geg

you mean RAP ?

apex heh

KEK confirms