ITT: Good bands that couldn't play their way out of wet paper bags

ITT: Good bands that couldn't play their way out of wet paper bags

I'll start: Pink Floyd. Shit drummer, shit bassist, OKAY keys at best, sounds like a kid who's taken lessons for a year.

good guitarist in gilmore era, but Syd played like a Sup Forumstant with no pedals. Roger Waters singing is more like acting, admittededly Syd, Gilmore, and Wright have good voices.

overall though, both versions of pink floyd honestly couldn't play. they were a shitty band but still good somehow.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=cFtqkX4Kdfc
youtube.com/watch?v=vnayLVt2bW0
youtube.com/watch?v=7gxthfaa9Xo
twitter.com/AnonBabble

the fact that none of them were trained musicians force Pink Floyd to be creative and eventually, after a lot of experimentation, find a sound of their own. And the fact they weren't as musical proficient as bands like Yes or King Crimson made Pink Floyd more accessible leading to commercial success.

>weren't as musical proficient as
It's like arguing between high efficient Engeneers (Yes/KingCrimson) and highly creative Architects (Pink Floyd)...

>OKAY keys at best, sounds like a kid who's taken lessons for a year.

>good guitarist in gilmore era
>Syd, Gilmore, and Wright have good voices
>Gilmore(x2)

This chart is retarded. Where the fuck is Tony Banks??

Gilmour is a great guitarist. His phrasing is amazing and his sound is very distinctive. I always remember hearing a Paul McCartney song, hearing the solo and going "That's Gilmour." And sure enough it was.

Waters is a passable bassist but lyrically the guy is a genius. One of the best lyricists in rock.

Wright is a very understated keyboardist but his contributions to Pink Floyd are undeniable. (The Great Gig in the Sky).

Mason I'll agree on. Live at Pompeii you can see he was a good freestyle drummer but I get the impression he was lazy. Rather spend his time and money collecting vintage cars than practicing. By the time they made AMLOR he was so out of practice he could barely play.

Dan literally can't remember the chords to his own songs half the time

>lyrically the guy is a genius

> actually caring about musicians technical skill
Its the music they create that counts.
no one gives a shit if you can shred at an unthinkable speed , if you cant make a good song you will be forgotten.

>not liking echoes
shit taste confirmed

>wrote one good verse on one song
>genius
ffs he wasn't even better at lyrics than the other roger

>implying Scaruffi's critiques of music are worth more than anyone else's
Dude doesn't even play an instrument.

kek

or John Lord or Chuck Leavell?

you are an absolute imbecile

Joy Division even though I love joy division

lol, Oasis.
Was going to say the Beatles, but Oasis can't even keep up with the Beatles.And despite Oasis loving the Beatles, their covers kinda suck.

Satan what the fuck are you talking about? What other Roger? Daltrey? Have you listened to Animals or The Final Cut? The man writes brilliant lyrics.

Roger Barrett

haha pf studied architecture thats how they formed

Oh you're one of those that continues to idolize an overrated drug addled loser who threw away his life and his career.

>lying on an eiderdown
>yippee
>you can't see me
>but I can you

Yup. Top tier lyrics there.

that song is probably the best song on the album. it's a good one. don't be talkin shit about flaming

Saying that Syd was better at lyrics than Roger isn't "idolizing". And yes, those are perfectly fine lyrics that fit the music very well.
>probably the best song on the album
agreed

>Sting
Average bassist, passable singer, good songwriter
>Stewart Copeland
Good drummer, but half of his sound was a delay on the hi-hats
>Andy Summers
Chorus pedal: the guitarist. His solos were terrible and none of the band's riffs were his.

>syd
>good voice
'no'

It's pretty much most post-punk and many punk bands that can't play for shit. on the other hand it makes for perfect concert material if you're not the best guitarist lol

youtube.com/watch?v=cFtqkX4Kdfc

>Stewart Copeland
>"good" drummer
No he's a great drummer. I suggest you watch The Rhythmatist.

And I can think of no guitarist who uses space as well as Andy Summers (except for maybe Geordie Walker of Killing Joke) The guy did make two albums with Robert Fripp.

Not going to defend Sting. His solo career speaks for itself...

Was this supposed to convince me that Barrett had a good voice or could write decent lyrics?

Are all Barrett fags out of their minds on acid too? Jesus fuck!

Nigga Copeland is one of the most critically acclaimed drummers in pop music.

>Barrett fags
>Jesus fuck!
youtube.com/watch?v=vnayLVt2bW0
youtube.com/watch?v=7gxthfaa9Xo

Its almost the same but New Order
Singing, guitars and keyboards got painfully bad, specially live.

The Jesus and Mary Chain are literally one of THE worst bands I can possibly think of. But they totally belong in this thread.

>of THE worst bands
strongly disagree
>they totally belong in this thread
can't disagree with this though they weren't very talented

Check out Loop. They do it much better.

Copeland is phenomenal, sting has an iconic voice and summers essentially ushered in the reverb-soaked guitar tones that would dominate the 80s. overall they're one of the tightest units in rock history, get your facts straight before trying to shit on great bands

The Velvet Underground

Fucker

John Cale is a classically trained musician.

boring

I hate their vocalist and I hate their fucking dated reverb they put on all their vocals. The song structure sucks. I like the cathartic squeals. The drums being distorted was fun.

Fucking awful band.