/jazz/

What's your favorite jazz release of 2017 so far?

Other urls found in this thread:

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/angles-9/disappeared-behind-the-sun/
discogs.com/Reflections-In-Cosmo-Reflections-In-Cosmo/release/9684853
rateyourmusic.com/collection/jazzthreadguy/strm_relyear/2017/1
open.spotify.com/artist/6cxx0cktWwhTwJ1lqZ5bDf
clyp.it/b3ad1dgo
freejazzblog.org/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

why so much hype for this album? what makes it special?

Ben Schachter- entranement
Craig taborns new record, i dont remembwr the name. Came out on ecm in february. Dave kings on it.

This.

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/angles-9/disappeared-behind-the-sun/

It was released early in the year and got exposure on RYM.

how exactly does an album "get exposure on RYM"? Seems like it's usually through P4K or melon reviewing it but neither one reviewed this album.

In other 2017 news:

Anybody else excited for Chris Potter's new record coming out next month? His last two releases were really ambitious, so I'm excited about the fact that this release is just a quartet lineup.

What is the point of this post? How does this explain the hype? It is just an example of the hype?

so is this like this year's version of The Epic?

discogs.com/Reflections-In-Cosmo-Reflections-In-Cosmo/release/9684853

>discogs.com/Reflections-In-Cosmo-Reflections-In-Cosmo/release/9684853
is this very fusiony?

very

bump

I like Joe Henderson. What modern jazz sax players do you rec me?

Mark Shim

>get exposure on RYM
it's on a lot of lists already, lots of ratings, and is mentioned in a 2017 albums thread. This is not necessarily a bad thing.

It hasn't had anywhere near the amount of hype that The Epic did

I'd say it's closer to the hype that Fire! Orchestra album got

I've really enjoyed this

this

I like bill evans. Recommend me some modern pianist based on that?

Has anyone else listened to this?
Are there any other steel guitar jazz albums like this?

Fred Hersch
Bill Charlap
Bill Cunliffe

best jazz release I've heard yet

bump

Pretty cool so far

That cover is kind of misleading

>jazz
>2017
What? Can someone hit me up with some shit? I feel like Im really missing out. The only current day jazz bands I listen to are full brass bands like Rebirth Brass Band, Dirty Dozens, etc.

Anything coming out tomorrow?

rateyourmusic.com/collection/jazzthreadguy/strm_relyear/2017/1

David Hazeltine

Whatever the fuck BBNG releases

open.spotify.com/artist/6cxx0cktWwhTwJ1lqZ5bDf

one of my favourites of 2017

jazz is dead

How so? This is legitimately one of the worst albums I've ever heard and not in a good way. It just sounds like someone who literally only knows enough about the guitar to make it produce notes without actually knowing how to play.

I'm really disappointed that this doesn't seem to be on RYM so I can give my first 1/5 of the year.

I've submitted albums over a month ago and they never showed up so I'm not trying again.

i like it cause it's different.you are actually right as the album is blindfolded improv. i like weird. not everyone is the same

I like weird too but I don't consider this weird, just awful. Experienced guitarists don't even look at their guitar so I don't see what being blindfolded has to do with anything. Also improv doesn't at all excuse this literal musical ignorance.

And that the thing. It's not different. It sounds exactly like anyone who simply doesn't know how to play. However with the guitar at least some minor level of knowledge is required to just produce notes as opposed to the piano for example. This album is very similar to recording someone at the piano who has literally no idea what they're doing.

I've only heard imaginary cities and didn't like the strings so I will give this one a listen

I'll deffinitely be picking this up. Potter is one of my favourite musicians in the world right now, and I've liked everything I've heard Virelles on too.
>His last two releases were really ambitious
Transatlantic was breathtaking too. This has just been a brilliant decade for Chris.
clyp.it/b3ad1dgo

Madness tenors come to mind

wondering if I should get the new Mark Dresser album

>Looking at your guitar while you play

Do burgers really do this?

I've only listened to Unfold by The Necks (and enjoyed it) but I'm going to give everything in this thread a listen

>This has just been a brilliant decade for Chris.
I've always enjoyed hearing him as a sideman the most, but most of his stuff as a leader this decade has been pretty great.

Pic related.

>why so much hype for this album? what makes it special?
I don't feel like there's that much hype... Like as said it's kinda been popular on rym which is usually a bit of a self perpetuating cycle so that's probs part of it.
It is a good record though. I really like the sort of free/fusion big band sound that's been coming out of a lot of Scandinavian groups in recent years and I think this one is interesting for how much it sounds like it leans on Eastern European folk. It kinda reminds me of some of Peter Brotzmann's saner stuff. Especially with how rough the lead sax player's tone is.
I mean, the music is usually pretty simple at it's core but it's played with enough conviction that it's entertaining.

Maybe you should give this album another listen, I mean really listen to it, maybe close your eyes and listen for the message the artist is trying to get across. I really like it and I'm not one to judge anybody too much on their music ability. I can see some of the songs, cleo for example being sampled for some tension music in a movie.

New Alex Sipiagin record coming out in May too. Seems like it has lots of synths, electric bass, and some vocals on it, which are all things I don't necessarily like, but it should be an interesting listen anyway.

> Seems like it has lots of synths, electric bass, and some vocals on it, which are all things I don't necessarily like
You're not jtg I suppose are you? I thought you/he was a big Chick Corea fan, no?

Just a medium Chick Corea fan. Just depends on how the synths are used I guess.

agreed

Fair. I got pic related recently off the jtg essentials and it's probs one of the most gloriously cheesy things I've ever heard.
Like, the playing is fantastic and if you're at all into fusion, I'd say you'd have a hard time not appreciating some of the guitar solos, but man, the synths and percussion are so 80s, it's hilarious. Actually makes for a really interesting listening experience though. Makes me feel like I'm in a good but really dated sci-fi movie.

Sounds like it will be kind of like his last album

Did anyone in /jazz/ actually listen to pic related? Is it any good? I really wanna see the players on The Epic do something good. They were so ambitious and I feel like they could really release something fantastic given a bit of growing.

What is dead may never die

He's a wizard on the sax, so good

It's great but more as an R&B/electronic album than as a jazz album; the jazz influence is mostly in some brief solos/ flourishes. I actually didn't like Thundercat's 1 solo on the Epic bc it was too indulgent and didn't fit with the mid tempo vibe of Askim. But I do think a lot of the musicians on the epic are capable of making interesting jazz

diggin this.

not really jazz :/

If Stan Getz had been in the Bill Evans trio, this album would have been bigger than Kind of Blue.

what does this have to do with 2017

Absolutely nothing. But this is the closest thing to a /jazz/ we'll see for the next 4 months and I wanted to see how much people would disagree with me.

Nah, the trio was better with no horn player and Warne Marsh or Lee Konitz would have been a better fit with that trio anyway.

>Nah, the trio was better with no horn player and Warne Marsh or Lee Konitz would have been a better fit with that trio anyway.
I don't disagree with either of these in terms of musical quality. I'm glad it didn't happen, LaFaro and Evans getting the space to have the sort of interplay they did was what made the trio so special and Getz might not have recorded Focus if he was working with the trio.

As far as popularity goes though, Stan Getz's name was/is more well known to the general public. I think the improvising would have been made more accessible with the trio making room for Getz and the collaboration of two major names near the height of their musical abilities/popularity would have made for a very marketable record.

so I am in possession of charts for both 90s and 2010s jazz, I was wondering if there were some for other decades (except 50s and 60s because it's extremely easy to discover and find 50s and 60s jazz)?

also what are some good sites for post-2000s jazz, especially third stream and free jazz? it seems like sites that cover that stuff consistently are virtually non-existent.

freejazzblog.org/

The rest of the charts you're probs talking about were posted in

thanks

AllAboutJazz is the best site for modern experimental jazz; the stuff they rate 4.5 or 5 stars is always incredible