Who win

who win

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperial_Roman_army
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

marines are fat

Seriously:
Depends on ammo and how much equipment they're using.
Also, is it daylight or is it nighttime?
The picture has armoured vehicles in it, do the marines get to use those said vehicles?

a legion is like 3000-5200 men, marines would win because bullets > leather armor

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperial_Roman_army

450'000

Romans got pila, horses & some catapultz n stuff,

Would be intredasting

Also demands who is attacking and where the fight will be ...

A legion, not THE Legion

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperial_Roman_army

you should read the article. that is the entire roman army, it says right at the top that a legion is about 5000 men.

Fair point

if so then the marines would win 100%

Hannibal.

>dem tactics
>hnnnnnng

The modern army has a clear advantage, but an entire legion is about 5000 men.

Even if they were unarmed and totally nude, there's more of them and could easily swarm the soldiers given the right situation.

Autism alert: Keep in mind the romans did not consider deceit to be a part of war, but a part of cowardice. They would attempt to fight the marines head on, rather than ambush them.

Because of that I would put my money on the 1000 marines, 100% of the time.

depends on distance. If they are right ontop of each other the marines cant really do a great deal.

depence on ammunition, 5200 romans have enought endurance to take them out pretty much easy

Sauce?
(Of the hottie, not Hannibal)

>US marines
What a fucking joke LMFAO!

>pic related would be a more fair challenge.

Unarmed men do not beat assault rifles with just 5 to 1 numerical superiority.

30000 us casualties.
upwards of 3 million veitnamese deaths

depends on distance. if they are right ontop of him I like their chances.

Modern marines?
First gen marines?

Clarify

Rome was just the biggest blunt object around.
At this point, the marines are the US Mil's blunt object as well.

If weaponry and armor available were equalized, I'd put my money on mutual destruction.

If either of them had to fight an Alexander or Hannibal, or any of a number of Asian Generals, then they lose.

most of the vietnamese were civilians so yeah

/b

Leave it to an American to brag about killing civilians.

Share Sup Forumsro. Sauce plox.

both armies dont have food, they will die very fast, because roms cant eat swords and marines cannot eat their rifles. or am i outdated?

What were the roman soldiers' shields made out of? Was that material bullet resistant or not?

If so, I believe 5000 extremely well-trained sword -and spearmen with shields could beat 1000 marines

Romans by weight of numbers.

Plus marines require 5 bullets to kill one man because they are just trigger happy cowards who wouldnt wait for the right moment to fire and rather just spray the enemy.

yeh, the people they were there to "help" too.

Saaauuce

Well doing the math, each marine need to put a round into 5 romans, and they have a whole mag to do so, maybe even more. They shields probably won't hold up as rifle munition has plenty of piercing potential.

If the the Romans were to close the gap nevertheless I'm not sure how the marines would fair against a legionare in hand to hand combat. The marine IS very well trained in melee combat but the fighting style would be very different. Would a knife and grappling be enough against a sword and shield. Tribals fought against legions and won on multiple occasions. Did they fight with unorthodox techniques as well? Based on these odds and the legion having to make it past the wall of gunfire to even worry about hand to hand combat, imma give it to the marines.

I think maybe Romans just because of sheer numbers. They'd be spraying them down nicely for a while for sure, but when the Romans actually get close enough, the Marines aren't going to risk friendly firing their comrades when everyone is neck and neck, then it just goes down to combat and although Marines are SICK when it comes to combat, you ain't beating a sword and shield with just a little knife and some biceps.

What rhe fuck do you mean "first gen marines"?

Marines Circa 1776? Just fucking say that instead of trying to sound intelligent. Now we know you aren't.

If legion, marines would mow them down in an hour.

If entire army, they would run out of bullets and possibly be overwhelmed by grief of death.

If unlimited ammo and marines are psychologically trained to not care how many they kill and they have jeeps and fairly smart leader, then marines would win in a few weeks or possibly days.

>civilians
>who had guns

kek

>If unlimited ammo

Like Rambo?

...meanwhile in the real world. Romans absorb pressure until marines run out of ammo then its slaughter time.

The sheer numbers of a 5:1 ratio?

When a standard combat load for an infantryman is 270 rounds?

Going up against 5000 men with leather armor and plywood shields?

So, assuming every marine would be a rifleman, excluding mortars, grenadiers, machine Gunners and any armor.... You're talking an average of 270,000 rounds to be used against 5000 enemies who have next to no distance striking potential.

Marines, if they have enough bullets. If the marines run out of bullets and the Romans still outnumber them 2:1 the marines would be cut down.

1:1 I think it would be very close, depending on who is leading the marines and the legion.

Romans.
As soon as the front lines started going down from the automatic weapons fire, they'd charge them and in hand to hand, they'd carve up the mass of marines like a thanksgiving day turkey.

What it took, mentally and physically, to fight as literal butchers in those battles, is nothing like what anyone has experienced since the gun brought about the age of technological warfare.

As soon as the guns are ineffective, any army from the era where you stood in a mob with big knives in your hands, stared down another one looking back at you, and ran into them with minimal armor and grabbed as many people as possible with your own hands and hacked and stabbed and chopped and sawed them to death, beats anyone in any army in the world today. If you survived an entire war of that, you were a fucking monster, much less three or four wars, when they'd by then be able to make whatever was left of you a general.

Marines go home to their families and see a therapist for having shot people at a distance.

Found.
Violetta - Dolly Supermodel.
(Careful. Looks like possible cheese type links)

Think you're missing the point here user

>Romans absorb pressure
what?

when was the last time u.s actually won the war?

You're also assuming the Romans wouldn't be shitting their pants just witnessing the horror of modern weaponry.

Would they assume this who exercise was futile when they couldn't get within 300m of the Marines before receiving casualties?

>believing hippies and their accurate statistics

Oh I'm sorry. Keep trolling.

Romans r fearless

I wonder how well those tumbling 5.56 rounds would do against that thick iron shield?

>Assuming the M16 is modern

pretty well seeing as they are designed to pierce

>charge them

how would they charge them over the massive piles of bodies?

Do they have magic jumping abilities?

Romans used wooden shields with leather, to make them thicker

Not at more than a couple of hundred yards.

The Marine corps is starting to receive M4 hand-me-downs from the Army.

I wonder what it's like to know that you're that beautiful and you'll never have to do a damn bit of work your whole life as long as you don't act like a massive cunt.

>front lines started going down from the automatic weapons fire
>they'd charge them
>in hand to hand, they'd carve up the mass of marines like a thanksgiving day turkey.

O fuk
Then they'd look down @ the ground and you'd have...

a Roman legion with automagic weapons.

I'm not trolling. I'm using my brain. How are the marines going to get any shots in if they're face to face with the Romans? For one their allies can't shoot them so it'll just be a combat death match between 1k Marines and probably at this point depending on distance lets say far, 3.5k Romans.

The Romans will win.

grenades, artillery, body armor & assault weapons > swords & shields

oh well, so much for shielding them and wasting marine bullets.

Jesus christ, the Marines are still scraping together the leftovers from the army? poor cucks.

5000>1000

...is a bigger advantage.

So much this.

They did it just about every battle. Read up on some of them. Fucking horrific, but, all part of the experience.

/Thread

Who knows. Hey, you're on /b, you could put a dress on and do your hair up in pigtails and find out.

Romans using Lorica segmentata or chain? I'm guessing that after hitting nearly an inch of wood covered in leather then hitting about 2mm or steel the round would pack less of a punch. still...

Yeah.

But what about mah yeeee harrrr?

A gun is more effective at a distance than a sword or a pike.

But a roman is more deadly than a marine.

All other things being made equal in either case, and you have your answer.

olololol

yeee harrrr gets beat by archers, not everyone in a legion was a swordsman

I'd like to remind the thread that a legionarre would carry at least one pilum, that's 5,000 minimum.

Only 1000 need to hit, not sure it would matter where they hit either. That'd cause serious morale damage if nothing else.

Though alternatively, machineguns would drop countless romans immediately and i couldn't imagine the kind of damage that'd do to Roman morale respectively.

>Not everyone in a legion was a swordsman

lrn2history

>Still

You clearly don't know anything about how the military works.

Armor from those times do not even stand up against a modern .22, even with a sheild
With this information, and only a 5:1 ratio, marines would clearly win. Unless it was strict hand to hand combat or the starting distance was less than a few hundred feet

You have to eat the bowl of eggs.
>okay user..

not even simple swordman, crusaders would fuck the shit out of the marines.

This...how do people not see the gun that caused trench warfare a serious threat to an army that has never encountered it.

All you're asking is guns vs Swords...and you know the answer

Still..a few hundred feet..the average marine would have thirty rounds a clip.

Sword?

Yeah I guess it really comes down to, is it a question about weapons, or about people. And since OPs q was not, "which would win, 5000 swords and pikes, or 1000 M4s", but "which would win, 5000 romans or 1000 marines", we can assume he's talking about the humans. In which case, the Romans defeat the hamburger helpers, both in terms of fitness, experience, and mental sociopathy, hands down.

>Violetta - Dolly Supermode
Post em

Watch GATE, it is an interesting thought experiment on this question.

Victory to Rome

marines get 2 guys with snipers and take out all there comanders, the marines then use hit and run tactics to take there numbers down and cause mayhem in the ranks of the legions.
Also the romans might not have the support of the locals, who probably now worship the marines as gods.
Btw this literally happened with spain and the aztecs, Aztecs btfo

But he did not say when the marines were from. We could be talking about some Iwo Jima survivors.

>hannibal
>tactics

Most of his battles were due to the incompetence of the roman commanders he was fighting against. Especially cannae.

Not saying he wasn't a good commander, but he would have been stopped in spain if the romans had their shit together at the time.

Yeah but target aquisition takes time and there would be a lot of wasted bullets from different marines firing at the same target

guys, marines are only equippd with standard rifles. no way to deal some battlediciding damage on less then >100 feet.

What? English motherfucker, do you speak it?
And bullets are still lethal at distances of even a mile away

>>Lookout, he's got an armchair! Now his expertise is unmatched!

if you honestly think Romans looked lie the greased up extras from the movie Spartacus or 300, you're dumber than pic related looks.

Not 5.56. Little cap guns are good for suppression fire while the machine guns do the hard work.

I think it depends on distance, if the Romens are closer the marines might be fucked because obviously the romes are better at sword fights, I don't think the maraines are more hand to hand than swords and spears, plus it takes more skill to shoot an arrow accurately so i think that the legion would be able to get more accurate shots than the marine. I'm not an expert though

Legons don't have archers.
That's the Auxilia.

If it takes more skill doesn't that mean it's harder to do/less likely to happen?

Roman legionaries were very physically fit. Definitely not like in 300, but they would have been must more fit than the average serviceman today.

If suddenly put them against each other, the maries win. Romans may be tougher and stronger, modern weaponry and tactics would mow them down.
If they get some time to prepare, then it would probably depends on the quality of their equipment -romans can't do shit against helicopters for example. Only a dumbass pilot would get hit by a catapult.
If the combat is somehow 'fair' -only foot soldier, preparation time, no unlimited ammo- then it begins to skew in favor of romans.

not if they fight togehter