Why are old films so autistic, except Chaplin and Keaton?

Why are old films so autistic, except Chaplin and Keaton?
They are always full of random crazy shit that makes no sense and serve no benefit for plot.
Old means pre 1960 for those of you unaware.

Please elaborate.

In my opinion the Universal horror movies are the first modern flicks

Well I saw L'Atalante (1934) recently and the plot was as follows: guy marries girl, and they travel on a barge. That's it. But the film is 1 hour 30 min long and it shows literal random shit throughout the whole movie. They just walk around the barge doing nothing, they touch objects you know, eat, sleep, nothing happens. L'avventura (1960) over 2 hours literally nothing happens they just walk around for 2 hours. Take any film it's the same - nothing happens except super random shit like hey look, I got a rock in my shoe, hey look, a horse, hey look, I eat some, you know.

Watch something more mainstream like The Adventures of Robin Hood.

I watch Sight & Sound core.

You shouldn't be surprised that film on their list are more experimental than your typical mainstream movie.

I have no idea what you're talking about.

only old 'french' movies are shit.

You literally watched 2 surrealist movies and are complaining that everything didn't serve the plot. That is like complaining your steak didn't taste enough like cake. This is not even remotely any film, and it just shows you've barely watched any pre-60's movies.

Watch Grande Illusion, or M Hulot's Holiday, or Rome Open City, or Stagecoach, or Sansho the Bailiff, or The Seven Samurai. You are also being ignorant by caring to much about "plot" and relevance to it when there is so much more to film than that.

Those were 2 examples. I can throw in another 30 if you want. I saw many older films.
From your list there are only two films I didn't see -- M Hulot's Holiday and Rome Open City. Seven Samurai felt like also being full of unneeded episodes for me.

Please tell me about all the "uneeded" episodes in Sansho the Bailiff

A lot of older movies are slow paced, especially the European movies. Hollywood movies on the other hand are very straight forward and quickpaced so why don't you just watch those?

>Old means pre 1960

40 years worth of film then? Gotcha.

Effectively 60 years worth of film.

Yep, didn't edit before posting. My mistake.

>edit before posting

what is happening?

Maybe you should try Rashomon - a lot happens there. Granted, it's all the same event, but from different points of view. And there's a philosophical conlusion, unlike in the story it adapted. It *has* a point, which is a step up from L'Atalante and L'avventura. I haven't seen other Kurosawa movies, but they might also be worthwhile. He seems to know his shit, if I can judge by just one movie.

Holy shit am I dreaming? High quality film discussion in tv?!

Anyways, I think I know what you mean OP. Another good example of this is Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans. Guy is married in the countryside, sexy city girl comes to woo him so they go off on an adventure in the city, but most of the film is really just ordinary shit happening.

Wow, look cars! Wow, look traffic! Woah, the circus, there's a monkey! What you might not be thinking about is that film has always been about escapism. Art for art's sake and escapism are the big two in this medium.

Until the 1950's, do you know what the most common occupation was in the United States? Farmer. A lot of early film had "pointless shit" like this in it because most people had never experienced anything like it in their lives. It was captivating. As time goes on and life gets better, more people earn more money and move to cities, travel more and consume more media, things like this lose their original appeal.

I wonder if by the time we're an interstellar species people will look back on films like Alien and 2001 and wonder why they focused on so much "pointless shit" like all the technical details of piloting ships through space, docking, etc.

Go watch Gunga Din

one of the best constructed movies in history

PLOT BABY, PLOT BABY!

Try King Kong, it's as straight forward as it gets.

This is ironic, right? XD

>LE PLOT

You have no idea what you're talking about. Shut up.

>Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans
I've seen it but it wasn't even that random, not to the point of other films.
>we're an interstellar species
That will not happen. Humanity peaked at year 2001.

>Old films are autistic
>High quality discussion

plot twist, it was you who was autistic

>This
>High quality film discussion