Is Hop Along the greatest modern alt rock band?

Is Hop Along the greatest modern alt rock band?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=tilUk1--Ndo
youtube.com/watch?v=JPgopBNnMjk
youtube.com/watch?v=YShrM-y8fLE
youtube.com/watch?v=W5hKx-KfGV0
marthadiy.bandcamp.com/track/curly-raquel
youtube.com/watch?v=nFI1_XdZJAU
youtube.com/watch?v=rF6SmruITBI
youtube.com/watch?v=2GFggFIDjvY
idope.se/torrent/Hop Along/5a3ba3fd9f7a0dad980d1b31c70614dd822ca1d6/
archive.org/details/HopAlong-FreshmanYear/03-HopAlongQueenAnsleis-ForSebastianFromAFriend.mp3
twitter.com/AnonBabble

this is ok, id just rather listen to top 40

Absolutely yes. Frances is such a good singer. The band's gots some skills especially their guitarist. Ughhh

I've honestly never listened to band longer without deciding whether or not I like them, it's weird. Love the instrumentation uniformly. Sometimes her lady-Vedder vocals are shiver-inducing, other times they veer to mere histrionics.

are there any other modern bands other than speedy ortiz that can compete? this thread is secretly about finding other bands on the same level

Get Disowned, The Knock, Powerful Man, Tibetian Pop Stars, Trouble Found Me, Sister Cities, Texas Funeral, Waitress. Go listen.

I don't know sorry man. I wish I could find band's like this. Built to Spill is an obvious influence on both Hop Along and Speedy Ortiz but that's all I know. This band has really got me wanting to look into post-hardcore and the "Omaha sound". You could look up those sub-genres.

No and that album is mediocre as hell.

lol, Speedy Ortiz is awful. Painted Shut is a 10/10 in comparison to anything Speedy Ortiz has put out.

Built to Spill is one of my favorite bands, I could hear the connection instantly when I listened to Hop Along and Speedy Ortiz. I feel like true guitar-driven indie rock is dying and it's a damn shame. Most indie rock bands I know of nowadays are content to just play basic chords with no guitar solos or riffs or anything, it sucks. Thanks for the reply though, I'll check out the omaha sound.

First time I've ever seen this posted on Sup Forums.

Frances' voice sends shivers down my spine.
It's the sound of raw sex. The giddy pleasure and lingering fear.... and the dirtiness.

I wish she had like even a tiny bit more control though, she can sound downright toxic at times.

Indie rocks kind of a cliche genre at this point but hey, it happens to pretty much every genre. Saddle Creek (their label) is a pretty well known indie label. Hell, Built to Spill started it, and they started the "Omaha Sound" so I would start there.

It's hard to name a comparable band. Cloud Nothings are great, but they're declining in quality unlike Hop Along who's getting better. If we're counting emo, Adventures and Sorority Noise are top-tier.
I don't find her vocals sexual at all. Maybe you just have a crush.

BtS's songwriting.is amazing, certainly best of their scene and among modern rock music in general.

Don't understand why they aren't more popular. Most of their stuff is perfectly accessible.

I do have a crush on her, absolutely. Music boner.

But I don't mean she sounds 'sexy' or even that she's singing sexually. I just mean I feel the same pleasure of a weird/gross hookup that you're pretty keen to continue.

Her vocals make the music though.
Otherwise I do find the instrumentation a little cliché, except for her rhythm playing (interesting chord shapes and strumming patterns).
I hear a mixture of many of my favourite female vocalists in her, but she's still somehow so distinct, and always a little dangerous. A boldness you don't hear often anymore.

"Well Dressed" and "Horseshoe Crabs" are incredible 21st century cel phone Americana.

I just looked up "Omaha sound" and none of the bands sound alike lol
Am I really to believe that Built To Spill and Cursive are the same "sound"?

What do Horseshoe Crabs have to do with Jackson C Frank?

What a cringey thread
Hop Along has been on Sup Forums for ages, back to Frances's solo stuff

basically a modern day promise ring
with better vocals/lyrics

>basically a modern day promise ring with better vocals/lyrics
Oh god, if that's true I hope they don't go down the path of shitty pop rock like the promise ring

Yeah Cursive doesn't sound like that at all. The Wikipedia user just copy and pasted that shit hence the citation. I was talking more like lo-fi indie with some country twang to it like Modest Mouse or early Rilo Kiley.

youtube.com/watch?v=tilUk1--Ndo

90s indie was the GOAT music scene

This is fucking good, how haven't i heard of this

Lync were as underground as it gets

influenced a ton of bands too, remember reading isaac brock used to go to their gigs

Ah, that's more reasonable

ONE
MILLION TIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIMES

man you are missing out. get these are not fall colors ASAP

The Promise Ring were better when they went poppier.

>K Records
Such a comfy label.

>lol, Speedy Ortiz is awful. Painted Shut is a 10/10 in comparison to anything Speedy Ortiz has put out.
this

They had some good earlier tracks as well
youtube.com/watch?v=JPgopBNnMjk
youtube.com/watch?v=YShrM-y8fLE

This is the only thing I have found that reminded me of Hop Along, but more from their more lo fi days, esp the ending of The Goose and The Wren
youtube.com/watch?v=W5hKx-KfGV0

Also this, esp the solo
marthadiy.bandcamp.com/track/curly-raquel

and this
youtube.com/watch?v=nFI1_XdZJAU

esp the vocals in the second half

>Ughhh
hello tumbr/reddit

I think they've been seinfelded.

Places like indieheads had Death Cab on their essentials instead of Built to Spill at one point, even though the former completely got their sound from BtS.

Going by the label Built to Spill are on, they technically haven't been "indie" since 1997.

imo indie is more the sound now than the label.

this honestly

plus doug martsch is a major figure in the genre's history. anybody into "indie rock" should know him

youtube.com/watch?v=rF6SmruITBI

honestly a lot of people on that site have taste as if they only know records from 2000 on other than like pavement or the smiths.

not to mention that the general setup of reddit makes discussion impossible. if you miss a discussion thread by 30 minutes, good luck with someone seeing your reply which makes it kind of a pointless sub, since it would only be used for new releases, which are posted about on Sup Forums anyways.

Built to spill actually opened for Hop Along when I saw them in Athens, very cool show

Other way around actually, oops

do they play a pretty good mix or is it all Untethered Moon?

Not him but they vary sets hugely, have long jams and do random covers all the time. They know how to put on a good show.

Even here actual good discussion of lesser-known music gets buried in memes and waifu threads and degeneracy. It's as if they're being autosaged.

speaking of covers have to post this

youtube.com/watch?v=2GFggFIDjvY

it depends on the thread. 99% of the rec threads are good and a lot of other ones are good as long as people ignore the bait.

honestly i don't know what the mods do around here since there is so much just random shit that flies but random threads get pruned for no apparent reason.

I was there to see Hop Along, and wasn't too familiar with built to spill's discography at the time so I'm not sure what albums they played from. I personally didn't enjoy BtS' set that much, they all seemed extremely bored like they didn't even want to be there.

your first comment seems kind of misleading now but that sucks.

Yes, they're basically the new Modest Mouse IMO. Also all of her unreleased stuff is way more experimental than what she makes now. Also, pic related is their worst album btw.

Anyone have a link for Get Dispwned that's not 128kbps?

>all of her unreleased stuff is way more experimental than what she makes now.
where can i listen to that though

Theres one torrent on the pirate bay that's titled something like "hop along discog" also all of it is uploaded on youtube in some way or another.

Yeah I kinda realized that haha. Hop Along's show was amazing, and although BtS looked bored for the most part there were definitely still some high points. I'd say they're still worth seeing if you're a fan

Here you go my brudda.
idope.se/torrent/Hop Along/5a3ba3fd9f7a0dad980d1b31c70614dd822ca1d6/

Theres one album from 2005 in the archive. Here you go.
archive.org/details/HopAlong-FreshmanYear/03-HopAlongQueenAnsleis-ForSebastianFromAFriend.mp3

Also so you know it's 320 kbps. My bitrates at the very bottom of pic related. Thats where I downloaded it.

BtS have zero stage presence but that's kinda their image. A bunch of weird looking blokes standing around just doing their thing.

Bump.

seems like a lot of indie and first-wave bands were doing that in the 90s.

Bump

This board sucks if you guys can't appreciate Hop Along. Painted Shut is Underrated.

it has 3 amazing songs but i agree with that user before me it's her worst release overall
you can guess which ones

You suck if you can't handle a few people criticizing a band you like

hop along owns

3 amazing songs and a lot of good ones. This albums pretty easy to listen to compared to Get Disowned. Haven't listened to her experimental stuff.

is she really gay

yeah her gf is julien baker

Can I get some sauce?

sry i dropped this /s

pretty much every one of their releases has declined in quality. I still enjoy all of them all but I preferred it when they were Queen Ansleis

The goose and the wren is by far their best track

tfw Hop Along thread has 69 replies.

the funny number

>Ughhh
What did he mean by this?

*shuts down computer*