How do I get the Mac DeMarco sound?

How do I get the Mac DeMarco sound?

I wanna be famous and get qt girls

idk m8 turn your chorus up and spring reverb to 11 then use beatles chord progressions maybe throw in some soft synths and chain smoke cigs

>beatles chord progressions
wrong
you don't get his subtle 80s sound

desu though mac seems like a cool guy and doesn't actually like notoriety and his act is out of nervousness, you can see it in interviews.

lol this is like the majority of things ppl say about him.

>he's like really chill and makes chill music to chill to

yeah but they don't see the dead look in his eyes

vibrato pedal

you'll thank me never

I really don't like Mac's guitar tone. Too clean for my taste.

But his actual playing is top notch. I love the way the kid plays guitar.

I don't get the hate for Mac on Sup Forums. I hear his high schooler fans are annoying, but there doesn't seem to be anything especially offensive about him or his music (other than that it's admittedly repetitive). The dude knows how to make a sweet and distinct-sounding melody, which I find appealing. He seems like a nice enough guy going by what I've read, so I guess there's that too.

>meme fan of poseur trash like lrd likes mac demarco
LMAO like clockwork
>wanting to be a sadboy/vaporwave tier faggot in 2017

Change the rhythm of a few john lennon or george harrison songs a little bit. Put some reverb or chorus on it. Add a mediocre guitar line and repeat it a bunch. VOILA

make extremely mediocre and repetitive music with a pretentious attitude

that's not a very convincing comeback.

If you are one out of ten million mac demarco copycats in 2017 you're the biggest fucking tool on the planet. The boat for vaporwave/mac/soundcloud-core has sailed several years ago but for some reason fags still think it's relevant and not utterly emberassing to witness.
Let alone the fact that dedicating to copycatting a subculture/certain stereotype is the most underage thing you could do. Reminder Mac fans are the new tyler the creator fags.

I mean, I wish I could make it big too, guys, but ya'll are petty as fuck lmao

>demarco
>subtle

kill self

You sound like a retard

girls that fall for this type of garbage are so easy to get and manipulate that you dont even have to impersonate mac to get them to begin with

basically just be 6 foot and treat them like shit and le indie girls will always fall for you (im saying that because i do this kek)

have a supply of xanax also

I've never seen a legitimate criticism of his music on Sup Forums, so I'm tempted to assume it's purely based on his image and fanbase. Then again, that's pretty much standard for Sup Forums, no one here has the critical faculties or level of music knowledge to actually analyse music on any other basis.

>I've never seen a legitimate criticism of his music on Sup Forums,
nobody HATES his music besides it all sounds the same and gets OLD really fast. pic related

its just funny to troll ppl on here who obviously just got into him and try to copy him to the tee and write it off as them being "unique"
it works because somebody ALWAYS gets pissed off when you call them out on it.

seen mac 5 times live good shows.

its literally just completly mediocre and average guitar pop with reverb

so no you dumb reddit fag, its not that great in the actual music department either

>it all sounds the same and gets OLD really fast
I agree with this. I only really ever listen to 2.

>this is what passes for music criticism on Sup Forums

why dont you fuck off back to r/indieheads you absolute cancerous piece of shit

I've never been there. Maybe you're projecting? :^)

sure you havent

every time someone defends mac demarco tier trash in 2017 theyre always from that shithole

either that or youre a lastfm normie

>lastfm normie
?

Sound shitty and have an aesthetic

Yes, you must be new.

Lastfm/RYM are the facebook of music. It's for normies that were too ugly to get attention from looks on instagram, so they resorted to something else to get attention/"socialize" off other second-rate normies like them.

Okay where would you recommend for a music site for people with so much autism they have a complete lack of social norms and cannot discuss music civily or intelligently like you
Oh, we're already here

"ok"

I've been here about five or six years, not sure if that counts as new but based on your literacy skills, obsession with superficial image and general lack of intelligence I'm guessing you must be underage, which is worse. Either that or you're just a complete brainlet.

that's very unchillian

>treat them like shit
what actions are those? i always read this kind of things.

chill bro

this thread is for laid back discussion

respect chill mac threads budy

[thinking emoji]

you never witnessed a chillfag treating their gf like shit? It's fucking hilarious watching their laid-back facade crumble as they bicker with their female like a bitch with repressed issues

even more intense when you add alcohol

see it at college house parties all the time. Indie/chillfags are anything but. They are holding back issues

just basic stuff

ignore them, give them minimal attention, make them feel like you dont care about them and could easily get someone else

obviously dont do this with a respectable grill, only with le indie/tumblr ones

>I've been here about five or six years, not sure if that counts as new but based on your literacy skills, obsession with superficial image and general lack of intelligence I'm guessing you must be underage, which is worse. Either that or you're just a complete brainlet.

what a mouthload of irrelevant and random shit just to insult me. sorry i triggered you fag

{chilling emoji}

ftfy butty

actually just watch the new hbo show called "search party" it makes fun of what you talk about

>Indie/chillfags are anything but. They are holding back issues
This applies to pretty much anything

Usually people present themselves as the opposite of what they actually are

>friend starts complaining about mac demarco
>saying he's not doing anything interesting with his music
>then starts listening to mild high club
faggot doesn't wanna admit that it's completely because he's popular

but your friend is right. he really isn't. just good background music

You guys need to lay back and chill out a little bit

here have some milk with me

that's still a shit argument for critiquing music, if it sounds good, it sounds good. not everything needs to be groundbreaking. and he's being completely hypocritical by later listening to mild high club which is literally mac demarco with shittier vocals.

>few years ago
>mu loves mac demarco
>threads about him every day
>fastforward to now where he has gotten pretty big
>"mac demarco is shit guys lol"

dude can't you see how much of a hypocrite you are?

your friend could use the same logic and say " if it sounds good it sounds good" for mild high club.

and regarding "good" arguments for critiquing music. calling an artist a shitter vocalist version of x. isn't good either.
honestly sounds like both of you need to grow up

Is that Mizutani? If it is then you're a total pleb.

to be fair his music hasnt really evolved or taken any new stylistic aspects other than adding a synth or two. Hes just stagnant. But i also agree that this board is filled with aspies who flip whenever someone garners moderate recognition

He made mediocre pop music with a gimmicky aesthetic, it was okay when it was less popular

now that its mainstream it becomes retarded and emberassing when everyone is doing some retarded gimmick

SCROBBLES !

not hypocritical because i never said mild high club's music sounded bad. that was in response to the other post on here.

>literally saying that things are better when they're less popular

you're proving his point

>the picture of the guy with the hammer and screwdiver to his teeth

No, I'm not.

I'm just saying he didn't have much to begin with. It was never very good music or a very good personality. The entire appeal - in this rare instance - was that it's like hey, he knows this, he seems cool.

Now that everyone is trying to be small time and totally indie, it defeats the entire purpose and comes off retarded.

So it was mediocre when he was not as popular, but now that he's popular, it's shit?

Ok

Bottom left picture is kek

>present myself as a bland normalfag

D-does that mean I'm actually cool and exciting?

>So it was mediocre when he was not as popular, but now that he's popular, it's shit?
yes and no.
better example lets say you found a cheap gym to work out. the equipment isn't the best compared to gyms like lifetime fitness/golds gym but the people are nicer and it's never packed so you never have to worry about waiting your turn to use the squat rack.

now let's say the people from lifetime/golds hear about how great your shitty gym is for the same reasons listed above. but except now it's full of people so the convenience of not waiting to use the equipment is gone, that curl bro that used to blast edm thru the speakers has brought his friends and all of them curling in the squat room.

except there's no plus in an artist being more obscure. the benefit in the example you gave is that the equipment is worse, but the benefit of the gym being empty outweighs those negatives.

neither of those apply to mac demarco when he was less popular. your example is shit and you should just admit that you only like obscure music to be different

>mediocre
Cool buzzword

>your example is shit and you should just admit that you only like obscure music to be different
mac was never obscure
he's on captured records

after the success of 2 his label Captured Tracks pushed him to write more popular songs and pursue the ChillGuy direction

direct label influence of an artist is a downside of being popular

we will NEVER get an album of mac that's as greasy/weird/brilliant as RocknRoll Niteclub and that right there breaks me heart it does

if Mac was never popular he could have been the best outsider pop artist of his generation, but now he's making forgettable urban outfitters trash just for you guys on this thread

bravo I say, bravo