Can one of you sheeple actually explain to me why one of these albums is good? Any one you want...

Can one of you sheeple actually explain to me why one of these albums is good? Any one you want, tell me your genuine opinion that you haven't been fed by the melon or a Wikipedia page.

They're only good if you listen to them as an impressionable teenager.

For example, I listened to Velvet Underground & Nico on tape every weekend as I drove to my shitty first job ever, and Sunday Morning and My Man really spoke to me cause I was an edgelord.

I tried listening to Captain Beefheart when I got out of college and it was just plain trash.

Pet Sounds is probably the only album here that anybody could enjoy regardless of demographic.

ITAOTS. This is entirely bias.

It was my entrance into music that wasn't just top 40 music. None of the playing is that impressive, but the band does the best with what they have and are creative enough to make up for any shortcomings, Jeff's voice is an acquired taste, but I find it to be unique and emotive, and I just find the lyrics to be haunting and beautiful. I know this sounds corny but there you go. That's why I think Aeroplane is good

TMS was just a high energy/dance album. I didn't really care about it lyrically but god damn it's great for dancing.

Aeroplane I listened to for the first time last week. I just love the innocent/folky vibe of it.

MBDTF has great production but it sure as hell isn't perfect. So Appalled is awful. Monster is overrated. The skit at the end of Blame Game nearly ruins it.

Madvillainy: One of the most respected producers in hip hop with a great, consistent underground rapper. Only weak track was Shadows of Tomorrow. Quasi did NOT fucking fit on that track and the beat was shit.

GKMC is a little overblown but still a good album. Compton's one of my favorite album closers.

Oh. Forgot to mention.

TMR sucks.

>The skit at the end of Blame Game nearly ruins it.
This. And it's such a good song up until that point

Loveless is good because it sounds absolutey incredible, one of the best SOUNDING records ever made imo. The depth of the guitar tone seems to stretch on forever, like an infinite horizon. The pop songwriting is strong and supports the brilliant effects well.

Lift Your Skinny Fists is pretty good, the atmosphere and textures of the album are great and make you feel like you're in another planet.The arrangements are beautiful and full of emotions.
Just an opinion tho, bash me if you want.

Since I Left You puts all it's samples together extremely well in such a way that it all sounds coherent and flowing but there's always stuff going on below the surface, in the same way the songs themselves create a flowing, cohesive atmosphere that manages to be incredibly uplifting at some parts while also incredibly melancholic at others

wow not a single post itt was made by a poster that knows music theory
op is a faggot though

In the Court of the Crimson King was the seminal progressive rock album. It was able to bring together the symphonic nature of classical music and the improvisation of jazz and implement them into an album that was still highly accessible and still holds up today. It had a major lasting influence over art rock music.
If you don't like prog then fuck you I guess

>You have to be an impressionable teenager to like mucore
Retard

Mucore's not perfect, but you're being a contrarian if you're saying that it 100% sucks too

The Money Store, ITCOTCK, Skinny Fists, and Since I Left You are unironically some of my favorite albums of all time.

Everything else is just good to meh tier IMO, but I'm very picky with my music so for me it's actually a pretty solid list

>ITAOTS
Catchy pop album with surprising emotional depth and esoteric instrumentation.

>Loveless
Unique and painstaking approach to sound design coupled with great songwriting that also serves to enhance the core aesthetic.

>Kid A
Basically the 21st century equivalent of Bowie's Low in that it takes influence from a variety of disparate and unlikely sources (Krautrock, Modern and Contemporary classical, avant-garde jazz etc.), blends them all together and presents them in a neat pop package, with excellent songwriting and production.

>MPP
A dedicated and elegant attempt at recontextualising Beach Boys-style harmonies into the electonic era.

>Pink Moon
Probably the best musical representation of depression I've ever heard. Rather than just being overtly sad-sounding, like a lot of supposedly "depressing" albums; every song is seeped in a dense atmosphere of anhedonia, nostalgia and an almost Sartrean disconnection from and hatred of existence. The guitar-playing and melodic composition are also admirable.

>Ys
Complex and intricate lyricism supporting complex and intricate compositions. The arrangements are beautiful as well.

gimme a score for each of these albums

otherwise I won't care about "what theory says"

8/10, 6.5/10, 5/10, 6.5/10, 5/10
9/10, 7.5/10, 7/10, 7/10, 6.5/10
7.5/10, 7.5/10. 8/10, 6/10, 8/10
8/10, 7.5/10, 9/10, 5.5/10, 4/10
5/10, 5/10, 3/10, 6/10, 6.5/10

>reads scaruffi once

It's greta music that manages to transmit feelings that people here can assimilate to

>pet sounds 6.5/10
literally fuck off faggot

>Illinois a 4
Have you listened to it? Be honest

>Illinois 4/10
>Hospice 3/10
Why?

musical score dumbass

Please elaborate, or at least give a sentence for each album

Ouch, this post is genuinely cringeworthy and I refrain from using that word as much ass possible.
Pretty spot-on for the most part but I'm sick of personal impressions being used to categorize music. Stop.
Never could get into Loveless but I don't mind the attention it gets.
Agreed.

>Remain in Sight
I unironically love almost every song in this album. Half of the songs make me want to dance or sing

>Banana
The banana hasnt aged the best but I absolutely adore sunday morning, waiting for the man, heroin, Femme Fatale, and There She Goes Again. Not mentioning that this album defined prog rock in the 60s

>Madvillainy
this album is jam packed with a+ doom producing and verses. and people love doom because of his continuous flow. when madvillainy came out i fell in love

Those are completely different to Scaruffi's scores for those albums

Smiley Smile and Surf's Up are way better, sorry

I don't remember if I managed to listen all the way to the end, it was pretty terrible. Would be a 3/10 but the first half of Come On! is pretty decent.

Both obnoxious af and have little or nothing to offer musically.

>scores
>popular music

No, that would take too long. Maybe I could elaborate on individual albums if you asked me specifically.

why are smiley smile and surf's up better than pet sounds? do you like the taste of your own shit or did you forget about student demonstration time

>Those are completely different to Scaruffi's scores for those albums

They are off by maybe a point but in general eerily similar. You highly praise the exact same albums he does.

Explain ITCOTCK, Since I Left You, Loveless, The Money Store, ITAOTS, and Skinny Fists please

>if you like this you're some dumb dumb teenager

I'm retarded, what's the bottom right album?

Deathconsciousness by Have a Nice Life.

>AF
Math rock is one of my favorite genres but the way AF sounds is not too common in the genre. While I don't care for the lyrics, I understand what they're going for. The vocals are pretty much a texture to the great instrumentation. The bass playing is funky but at the same time not too much. The guitars have this really cool metallic and clean sound to them that I love. And I'm just completely in love with the drumming, especially Lamos' cymbal work. I understand why a lot of people don't like the album, but I love it along with the EP.

Thanks baby boy

Have A Nice Life - Deathconsciousness

i like none of these albums
>yes, even Kid A
>okay maybe not Kid A

can't fathom why people post them here all the fkin time

In The Aeroplane Over The Sea does have a lot of meme power behind it, but it is a refreshingly sincere album.

American Football was influential in the whole moody emo scene that dominated during the 2000s, but also managed to retain some cool math rocky vibes.

Madvillainy was a really nifty hip hop album, with such short songs and basically no hooks at all. You're just getting hit with flow after flow in this weird jazzy atmosphere. MF Doom is a great MC and Madlib is a great producer.

In The Court Of The Crimson King started and defined prog rock, which is one of the most successful and rewarding movements of rock music when done right and not just wanking all over the place. Unlike a lot of other prog albums that just sound like technical masturbation, you can tell a lot of soul and passion went into it. Just listen to Greg Lake on Epitaph.

Kid A isn't as innovative as it is given credit for, but for a proven successful alt rock band to take such a crazy U turn at the start of the millennium is pretty significant. It brought electronic music and rock music together in a more palatable (and thus marketable) way. It's also comfy yet unnerving, which is a tough vibe to pull off.

Lift Your Skinny Fists not only perfected but also effectively ended the entire genre of post rock. Few if any third wave post rockers have sounded anywhere near as emotional. Ultimately after this album EITS and their clones sound soulless, a lot like what happened to prog.

Soundtracks For The Blind is a tricky one. It's proto post rock and had an influence on GY!BE, but it's also so different. I feel almost like it's supposed to be exhausting and uncomfortable, like some kind of cinematic experience but not a pleasurable one. Like going to a horror movie knowing you'll be scared, or to a thriller knowing you'll be uncomfortable with the tension.

(cont)

(cont)

Illinois is the most nostalgic album I’ve ever heard in my life and I’ve never even been to that state. Something about it really captures the entire aura of youth and the suburbs and middle class America to me. The instrumentation is also great. Really good album for driving.

good kid, m.A.A.d city is that album that can get someone who has never explored the genre really into hip hop. It’s conceptual and you can take something new away from it every time you listen because of how many layers there are to Kendrick’s storytelling. And on top of that most of the songs are catchy and replayable. It’s not really Sup Forumscore though.

Hospice probably sounds like shit to anyone who has never been in a long term relationship with a partner who had some consuming issue like depression, being manipulative, or possibly both, or something completely different that fits the metaphor. However if you have been in such a relationship the album hits way too close to home. It’s painful how relatable it can be.

I have never heard an album that sounds anything like Since I Left You. I like it simply because of how cool and unique it sounds.

Deathconsciousness is one of the most ambitious albums in terms of genre-bending I’ve ever heard. I really have no idea what to call it. Some tracks are drone or ambient, some sound like blackgaze, some sound more like industrial or even post rocky. Even crazier that it was how it came from some regular ass dude who nobody had ever heard of just popping out of the blue.

Anyway, those are my thoughts. I don’t really care for the ones I didn’t mention.

trips of truth

You should just listen to them yourself an frigg off from Sup Forums forever

I think I could probably call In the Court of the Crimson King the best album I've ever heard and I'm coming up on 900 albums reviewed on RYM.

The tone and imagery is amazing. it's medieval, apocalyptic, triumphant, and mysterious.

I think it does all parts of prog absurdly well. Lengthy ballads about fantasy? check. Downtime that wouldn't sound out of place in a lost garden? Check. Bombastic sax jams? Incredible guitar work? Lyrical content telling the story of the lament of a man or kingdom? Check check check. It's musically on another planet from any other prog album I've ever heard. EVERYONE balls out on this record, Fripp and Lake especially.

I'm not super into music theory but that album is brilliant.

Becuz they sound good son. How about u git gud?

Wow, I should listen to Pink Moon. Never listened to any of these albums besides ItCotCK and RiL, but I've got depression and it sounds like it'd speak to me.

Sup Forums needs a reworked Sup ForumsCore chart, since it's pretty much Reddit Core now.

I'm trying to get into Velvet Underground and Merriweather atm.

VU just doesn't sound much like anything special, except one or two songs, and Merriweather feels very.... I don't know, I expected more energy from this type of music. I'm sure it has tons of layers, but I'm just not feeling it.

I think VU&N really holds a special place due to the context of the music, the rest of their discography (except for Squeeze) has much better songs.

I mean look at the other releases during the tenure of the Velvet Underground and you can see how much they didn't fit in.

Definitely agree with Merriweather though, such a bright sound but shimmers rather than sparkles I guess.

I have no idea to get into post-rock. Tried listening to Godspeed, but after even the first few ten minutes I'm getting nothing out of it.

I'm not demanding constant pop stimulus, but it just feels arbitrarily stretched out.

How do you defend the instrumental part of Moonchild?

I have never even seen that red one by the bottom left.

Weak b8

sorry about your fee fees

>first few ten minutes
Or half-hour haha

I went through same thing as you, found going with some earlier post-rock helped out, seems to be less drony. Check out Talk Talk or Tortoise.

Heard good stuff about Laughing Stock, going to check it out.

Honestly, I'm not sure of I'll ever actually like post-rock, but I've heard so many people gushing over Godspeed! I feel like I'm missing out on something great.

I think like a lot of long-form music, just gotta be in the right mood and have enough time to dedicate to it.

Really good decent but not their best never really listened to it much but I didn't really like what I heard haven't listened to it used to like it but never listen to it now a days really good one of my favorites very good haven't listened to it haven't listened to it one of my favorites another favorite pretty good haven't listened to it haven't listened to it really good don't even recognize it only listened to a bit of it but really didn't like what I heard excellent album haven't listened to it heard a bit of it and it seemed decent but never really listened to the whole thing never listened to it don't recognize it only heard a bit but wasn't into it excellent album all the way though never listened to it.

Lie down in a dark room and light candles. Get high if you can, not for fun but it will help you focus on the music and appreciate it more.

Put on Lift Your Skinny Fists and think of it like a story or a cinematic experience. Let your imagination run wild. It's almost like the music version of Spongebob and Patrick playing in the cardboard box, or at least that's what it was for me. I saw / imagined landscapes and cataclysms and wars and all kinds of shit. What I would give to listen to it all the way through for the first time again.

If it's still not for you, do as the other dude said and check out some other bands, post rock has a lot to offer.

>So Appalled is awful
>Monster is overrated
>The skit at the end of Blame Game nearly ruins it
ultra turbo pleb detected

/thread

Thanks for this man

>Hospice probably sounds like shit to anyone who has never been in a long term relationship with a partner who had some consuming issue like depression, being manipulative, or possibly both, or something completely different that fits the metaphor.
never been in any kind of relationship to speak of and I love Hospice

Pink Moon, Untrue, SILY, Spiderland and Pet Sounds are the only albums on this list that aren't trashy hipster garbage