Melbourne

This one

it's la

Osaka

Birmingham

Rio

I thought Rio was the largest

How does Osaka differ from Tokyo?

Is there a different atmosphere to it, or is it just a slightly smaller Tokyo?

Jesus save us

sao paulo is

Its Sao Paulo

huh....?

São Paulo is almost twice the size of Rio.

São Paulo is the largest, by a difference of 6 million habitants

São Paulo is (and also is the 10th largest city in the world). Rio have almost nothing in their favor to be considered the largest brazilian city in Brazil in this century (and for the last one as well), they're old, decadent, poor and can't get their shit together. It's just that the tourism agencies continues selling that crap as the best thing you gonna get here

cordoba

To be fair, Rio is still a much better choice than São Paulo for tourism.

São Paulo is just too gray and bleak.

Osaka

OK.

I thought h-town was the fourth largest

Sao Paolo has like twice the population of NYC.

Yeh, but i didn't said São Paulo was better at the tourism field. I agree that Rio is better than SP in tourism, but not the best the agencies could sell; you see, there's no shortage of amazing beach cities in this country that are suitable to huge tourist visitors, many northeast capital, some south cities and so on (I'd personally say Natal). It just seems ridiculous that even with all the shit that goes on, Rio is still THE Brazil city to the outside world.
The thing that makes São Paulo better than Rio is the urbanization and mobility there; there's no shortage of any sort of job, be it industry, service and even agriculture, and the urban structure in the entire greater region is many times better than Rio

The city proper is larger than NYC, but the metro area is about the same size.

>haha we're better than Rio i swer on me mum pls stop talking about Rio talk about me instead k thx xd
Why are you paulistas so insecure? Honestly, it's cringe-worthy

>tfw Melbum is gonna overtake Sydney as the largest city in few years

[autistic screeching]

Isnt Monterrey 2nd?

Rio

Again, i didn't said the issue is that people should talk about SP, it is that Rio gets too much attention without deserving it. Think Sidney, but instead of being an actually good city that represents well the development of the country is a shithole that dwells on the glories of its past and is yet is the only known city of the country to the rest of the world. I'd much prefer a northeast capital city to have the same fame and Rio than Rio itself.
The World Cup and Olympics showed us how backwater Rio is and how they struggle to develop their city to actually live to the fame it got.

And, still, Rio is the best option for tourists looking for a decent and legit "brazilian experience."

What would you suggest?

>Northeast
The beaches are nice, okay. However, it's a thousand times worse than anywhere in the Southeast, trust me, I've seen it for myself. You can't even hang your clothes outside to dry because some nigger might steal them while you're not looking.

>São Paulo
It's a great city for business, I agree. But what do you have to offer for tourists? There's nothing to see there but a concrete jungle with a few museums.

Despite all the memes, Rio is far far far from being among the most dangerous capitals in the country and still keeps its position as the most historically relevant city in Brazil, alongside Salvador. Not to mention its natural beauty, of course.

>mfw same time

You seem to get my point, thanks. I indeed would suggest a northeast capital, maybe Natal or Salvador, but you got a good point on its safety being times worse than Rio. Aside from those up north, i'd strongly suggest Florianopolis. considering it's kinda like a nicer version of Rio (with a different culture tho). The problem is that Rio became The brazilian experience, and usually tourists (and specially overall gringos) get the image that all Brazil has to offer is that with the exception of maybe the amazon forest (which we can all thank our good father Getulio Vargas). This centralization of the tourist attention on Rio not only is making our national image bad and very caricature with the time, but also makes urbanization and infrastructure projects in Rio much more difficult to execute,specially with the immense pressure on them (which is what we've seen in the last half decade)

Also, i wouldn't recommend SP as a tourism city in any case. It wasn't developed for that and it must only function as a business center.

>they're old, decadent, poor
We might be old, but we sure as hell aren't neither decadent nor poor. São Paulo being richer on per capita matters is a very very recent thing and it is neither by a big margin nor will necessarily stay this way in the future.

It's their fault for being dumb, not ours. Half of Europe could fit inside Brazil. To believe such a huge country would share the same cultural and historical heritage everywhere is just retarded.

And tourism is also an industry and our product (Rio) sells really well, so why should we change it? If someone doesn't feel like visiting Rio, they're always free to do their own research and go somewhere else as they please

RIo :3

In spirit, yes.

>making our national image bad and very caricature
No, not really. That's your opinion because you don't like our culture. Rio was always Brazil's poster city and for good reason. Great beaches, vibrant, cosmopolitan...you name it. Something the very insular nature of São Paulo or any other Brazilian city will never achieve. There is a reason cariocas call non-cariocas "hicks". Because we see that countryside character in you guys.

>The World Cup and Olympics showed us how backwater Rio is
It fucking didn't. World Cup was great with no big issues and the olympics saw a very big smear campaign against Rio. It was funny seeing the tourists saying that they were expecting hell on Earth and found a very nice city full of nice people. I'm not saying there are no problems, but they were largely overblown and we have to thank Brazilians like you as well for the freak show.

I agree on that. SP probably wouln't last as the richest city this century,but, it's difficult to imagine which city would replace it tho (probably either Brasilia or a northeast city).

>To believe such a huge country would share the same cultural and historical heritage everywhere is just retarded.
And yet they believe because that's what we sell, and we really never ever tried to give a different image to the outside world (government-wise). I agree that Rio's main product is tourism and is by far the best seller in Brazil, but the thing i'm saying is that, as it stands now on the global market, it's really the only one from Brazil. If some gringo don't like Rio or woudln't want to visit it, he would automatically think that he also wouln't like Brazil as a whole and wouldn't want to visit it. This could be bad for the tourism sector of the economy,but Rio still manages to attract a lot of people from the entire world. But just as SP, i don't think this feeling of exotic place to visit will persist much longer; the world cup and olympics both bought to the bigger public a bad image of Rio and i think that the trend is to this sort of thing continue; eventually it will start to damage our tourism economy as well (mainly by "lack of diversity/interest")
And if by magic it actually increases even more its visitors, then we go back to the first problem that it struggle to adapt itself to big events with lots of tourists, and we clearly see that this end up affecting your average carioca badly too (although i don't know if the legacy of the Olympics is being good or bad for the average citizen).

Arequipa

I can't even...m8, your delusion is too much.

>the world cup and olympics both bought to the bigger public a bad image of Rio
You couldn't possibly be more mistaken. Literally only butthurt americans were sperging out about Rio being chosen as the host city and kept whining because of >muh Chicago

>although i don't know if the legacy of the Olympics is being good or bad for the average citizen
Mostly positive. Putting up with public transport and their ass-kissing special event timetables was hell for the average João during the World Cup and the Olympics, but violence was and still remains on acceptable levels and under control thanks to the extra effort we put into it.

And now the Olympic structures have all been picked apart, looted, and trashed. They look like they've been abandoned for 10 years after a few months.

All that money put into building them pissed away.

Please do tell me more about my city

I've seen the pictures, you can't lie.

The funniest shit about this history was seeing foreign media talking about Maracanã and the olympic park. Problem is, the information reaching people like you has been mostly misleading.

I've seen pictures of Detroit too, therefore it's safe to assume that it's the absolute truth about the US, you can't lie

nice number

>Mostly positive

That's interesting, i will study more about the effects both events left on Rio, the main image i got until now is that it was a nuisance to the average guy and unsettling to the poor people (based on the coverage of the reforms made in hurry). But, it seems the effects are much more positive to the city (which may be a singular thing, considering Olympic cities usually stay in bad shape after hosting the event)

Now, about the image it bought to the public, i agree that many were butthurt americans and angry faggots looking for their next dog to kick (reddit), but, there was also a genuine bad image that spread due to the news and even videos made days before the opening, i'm aware that this bad image was relieved on this days after the opening, but many still think bad of the event and the city because of them. I need to look more into it tho

hey mate if you haven't heard yet
sao paulo is the largest
best city t b h f a m
are you doing city proper or metro area? because it should be L.A. if we're doing metro areas which we should be.

Detroit is actually terrible though, and I doubt you'd find many Americans (even ones in Detroit) defending it.

Busan