I'll start

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/woRhyl4k6sc
youtu.be/ngqSL4tZGos
youtube.com/watch?v=B5UZVtUC3V0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

inb4 spork

Dog Like Sparky is amazing

People say this album is overrated, but I think it deserves every fucking ounce of praise it gets. And I'd put Meddle just behind this one.

They're jelly that their favorite albums aren't as popular

One of the definitive prog albums.

This. A lot of people are contrarians just to be contrarians. There's more people saying they think Nevermind is overrated than there are people who like Nevermind, anymore. It's one of my favs. Not ashamed.

Can we get rid of the whole "dsotm is prog" meme

it's good but in utero is genuinely better

Outta the way, best prog album ever made coming through.

this

this is boring as shit

no u

an album full of songs like 21st century schizoid man would be 10/10 but they'd rather stare off into space

Holy fuck I haven't listened to this in years

This might be the best traditional/hard prog album ever, but what about
>zeuhl
>krautrock
>rock in opposition
>italo-prog
>neo/post prog

Any self-respecting prog rock listener knows In a Glass House is the greatest prog album ever created.

>Floyd
>prog
We already had this discussion, ffs.

AOTDSF

octopus is better desu

yeah Jimi Hendrix was more progressive than any of these """""progressive""""" rock bands

Thats not three friends...

Fuck off, Tommy Ramone, you set music and culture back 50 years with your shitty regressive "music."

A lesser known contender from the same era.

but he was though

I simply could not get into that one for the life of me. I preferred The Power and the Glory. Raconteur, Troubador is great though.

>King Crimson, with Fripp on guitar, were formed in London in 1968. Jimi Hendrix saw them at the Marquee and declared them the best band in the world.
Fuck off, Tommy, punk rock is shit and you are shit. Go back to jerking off about how all you need is "muh three chords and muh truth."

>implying tommy ramone shitposts on a chilean cloth weaving forum
I'm sure Jimi Hendrix loved other bands
Does that mean they're more progressive? No.

>Raconteur, Troubador
it took me quite a few times to really get into it. but even if you dont like it, at least we can agree that song is great

>Does that mean they're more progressive? No.
Hendrix, the person you're using as a benchmark for progressiveness, would disagree :^)

There really is nothing flawed about Close to the Edge. It's a true classic.

Perfect album

how are you not getting this
progressive and good are two different things
find me a quote where jimi hendrix calls king crimson "the most progressive band in the world" and I will eat my hat

youtu.be/woRhyl4k6sc

Why do people love Close to the Edge so much? I mean, I don't hate it, it's not bad, but I don't see what's so great about it. Fragile was much better, and without the meaningless gibberish that Anderson tries to pass off as lyrics.
Is it the drumming? Bruford does it better on King Crimson. Is it the bass? Squire does it better on Fragile. Is it the guitar? The keyboard? I don't get it.

I don't have it as a favorite but the guitar in Close to the Edge makes me feel orgasms.

I enjoy Fragile as well, but I feel like Close to the Edge is a bit more to the point, without all the filler. Sure, the tracks in Fragile with the band members all doing their own thing are cool, but Close to the Edge was a perfect blend of grand sound without going into drawn-out, overly long songs like Tales from Topographic Oceans. It just hits all the right spots for me.

Probably the lack of the filler tracks and the sheer musical orgasm that is the titular track.
Personally, I enjoy both equally. But I see why people would like Close to the Edge more.

>fragile
>without the meaningless lyrics
anyway it's the combination of all the parts you mentioned, and the lyrics really aren't that bad, I mean compared to
>TELL THE MOON DOG TELL THE MARCH HARE
fragile also loses points due to being a meme
half the songs are arguably filler (I mean one is literally a brahms excerpt inserted for no real reason)
if they'd knocked off the solo tracks and just had another solid prog song on this album it'd be on the same level with ctte

that's a fake story

I don't believe they knew, I was Long John Silver.

DSOTM was excellent but I find it's more experimental or even space rock than it is prog. Pic related is more progressive and a better album imo

how is there no rush?

true

wrong

(do people consider this prog?)
these are all a1 albums desu

>(do people consider this prog)
It borrows pretty heavily from Pink Floyd. If Paranoid Android isn't a masturbatory prog song I don't know what is. Lucky and The Tourist at basically DSOTM

Not even the best TMV album

Fragile's lyrics are still not great, but miles ahead of
>THE TIME BETWEEN THE NOTES RELATES THE COLOR TO THE SCENES
or
>THERE'LL BE NO MUTANT ENEMY WE SHALL CERTIFY/POLITICAL ENDS AS SAD REMAINS WILL DIE
or
>GREEN LEAVES REVEAL THE HEART SPOKEN KHATRU
Except for We Have Heaven and Heart of the Sunrise (also my two least favorite tracks on the album), Fragile's songs' lyrics actually did have meanings (Roundabout is pretty obvious in its meaning; South Side of the Sky is about two men dying while climbing a mountain; Long Distance Runaround is about reminiscing on summer times with a friend; The Fish seems meaningless on surface but is actually pretty clever on multiple levels — it's a solo piece written and performed by Chris Squire, whose nickname was "The Fish" because of his long bathtimes, and Schindleria praematurus is the name of a prehistoric fish).
The Brahms excerpt isn't actually that bad when taken out of context. Basically, the idea was that each band member would have their own individual solo piece (Jon Anderson had We Have Heaven, Bill Bruford had Five Per Cent for Nothing, Chris Squire had The Fish, Steve Howe had Mood for a Day). Due to contractual fuckery (IIRC, Wakeman was already signed onto another label as a solo artist), Wakeman couldn't write his own keyboard piece, so he just adapted Brahms for his solo.
>without going into drawn-out, overly long songs
They kind of failed miserably in that regard, but I guess I see where you're coming from otherwise.
>sheer musical orgasm that is the titular track.
Meh. I'd say the only really instrumentationally-orgasmic part of the title track is at the very beginning of I. The Solid Time of Change and at IV. Seasons of Man where the band kicks it into overdrive, but I found the parts in-between to just be OK instrumentation-wise.

i think this explains it really well. the guitar on Lucky is has a very Floydian sound for sure

>It borrows pretty heavily from Pink Floyd.
(not prog, by the way)

>(do people consider this prog?)
Holy shit guys, I was just posting that because of people claiming that The Dark Side of the Moon is prog. Holy shit.

That's what I thought.
It's like those threads you keep seeing where some guy posts a picture of that Evanescence album and asking if Sup Forums likes death metal. Evanescence is not death metal, DSotM is not prog.

I'm surprised that I don't see this posted much

>listens to prog but hates the proggy parts

I like Close to the Edge too, but I agree with this user. Fragile, especially tracks like Roundabout or Heart of the Sunrise, just appeals to me more - especially Squire's work on the bass.

Not prog but still best unironically ITT.

>this hasn't been posted yet

hello?

kek

Honestly, my favorite prog album.

R.I.P. John Wetton

youtu.be/ngqSL4tZGos

Respected among the community but underrated elsewhere. Beautiful guitar work all throughout.

Greatest album right here PERIOD.
Best Giant album no doubt

Not much prog rock really resonates with me but holy shit this album is so good

Whaaaaaaaaaa? Why?

I'm pretty into 80s and 90s post-hardcore and emo shit so I guess it's not my thing as much since it's almost the flipside of that whole scene. Inb4 Christgau but it's just my current taste. I do love Yes, The Mars Volta, and King Crimson though

Favorite Prog live album. Everybody wants to go on about Peter Gabriel but Genesis really changed when Steve Hackett left. Last Genesis album with him on it.

>this hasn't been posted yet
Sup Forums really is full of plebs

Dammit, I'm stupid. Thought you said "it's not really prog rock". If you like Yes and King Crimson (specifically In the Court since he loved Red) you're still well above Christgau.

ah yeah I am open to listening to prog but there hasn't been too much that really clicked with me so far

Gotcha covered. Dancing with the Moonlit Knight, Firth of Fifth and The Cinema Show are all among the greatest prog tracks.

I love this album. Hackett's guitar is phenomenal.

Exactly

Down for something REALLY weird? Cause this right here is next level. Truly progressive in that it's unlike pretty much anything.

I already posted the superior Genesis album with Foxtrot :^)

I'll definitely check it out because any time something is described as really weird it appeals to me

Production on SEBTP is better.

The true Genesis masterpiece coming through.

I'm here, I'm waiting

100% this

don't think i'd call pinkerton prog rock

i could say it's prog emo but at the same time there's no way to be progressive in a genre that is that shit

I fucking love this album. I used to have a version with a very short moog/synth part before Man Erg actually started. That part was definitely not theme 1. I loved it, but lost it and never found it again;_;
Still 10/10

>Hipgnosis cover
Immediately discarded.

But there's no way to know how it goes over later, seeing where we are. ;)

youtube.com/watch?v=B5UZVtUC3V0

Have fun listening to literal fascist propaganda made by a fascist.

Not really. The four previous albums are better

Think I'll survive.

Good, because all the minorities certainly won't under a fascist regime :^)

>spork
what does this mean??????????

Animals is objectively better

Prog metal is only good prog

MY MY MY