How do I get into electronic music and its subgenres?

How do I get into electronic music and its subgenres?

Other urls found in this thread:

pitchfork.com/features/lists-and-guides/10011-the-50-best-idm-albums-of-all-time/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_music
rateyourmusic.com/genre/Electronic/
last.fm/tag/electronic
britannica.com/art/electronic-music
en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/us/electronic_music
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

listen to it

don't do this

don't do this

you either have autism or you don't

like this

What have you listened to?
Which of those did you enjoy?
What did you enjoy about them?

The more you try to get into something the less you'll enjoy it, so in theory you should just stop listening to music altogether

I feel like it's harder for me to discover electronic music past very entry level artists such as Aphex Twin, Autechre and Boards of Canada. Honestly I'd be willing to try different things.

Start by exploring electronic record labels on discogs

Honestly, I think you have to steel yourself to the idea that the relatively low cost of getting into producing electronic music (Monetary and otherwise) means there is a TON of shit electronic music out there (Moreso than other genres, I think), but the gems are really unique to electronic music and worth finding.

Then

Try Coil if you want to get into weird territory, Loves Secret Domain and Music to Play in the Dark 2

pitchfork.com/features/lists-and-guides/10011-the-50-best-idm-albums-of-all-time/

Discogs is great, and checking labels is a really good way to find music. I've found lots of stuff to like on Merck, Sending Orbs, and Neo Ouija.

I'm a little bit of an electronic pleb, but early Aphex albums and Flying Lotus are both pretty accessible and nice listens.

Been listening to almost every genre of electronic music for 10 years now, ideas other people in this thread are suggesting are pretty autistic. If you really want to get into the music just go to your local scene and make some friends. Of all genres of music this one is the most social and easiest to really get sucked into.

Find some 7" hardcore breakbeat records with cool album art

Rec non-classical electronic music for people who are into classical.

gas

thanks

np. listen to konigsforst 5 by gas, it will change you

Solid rec.

>skream
glad to see original dubstep making an appearance every once in a while

Don't do it, you'll turn into a hypebeast festival cunt

kek

electronic music != hyperbeat festival music

Name 300 em artists who don't produce hype festival shit

All of musique concrete
All of electoacousmatic music
All of EAI
All of ambient techno/house, IDM and downtempo

how many of these have played EDC/Ultra?

this is such a great troll chart

I recently went to Beyond Wonderland which is a edm festival if you don't know and it is a lot different live. I had listened to some trance before online and never really got into it, but when you go to an actual trance concert, it really pulls you in. There is a lot of typical muddyied "edm" in the genre, but just listen to whatever you like. I really like house and techno, but I will probably go to more trance events since the festival. I personally don't like trap that much, but it seems to be really popular, so idk

>troll

Those are all artists/albums from genres which make electronically produced music.

>essential
>meme free improvisation supersilent 1-3
>east coast hip hop nas
>joke garbage meme vaporwave macross 82-99
>pop artist taylor swift (even tho she bae)
>merzbow and literally at his worst w/ pulse demon

>>pop artist taylor swift (even tho she bae)

Are you saying that album wasn't made with electronic instruments?

>>ESSENTIAL

if you were any denser this solar system would collapse

She is though, even you said she is bae

Name a more important, influential and chart topping female popstar today, other than Adele

Since when does "essential" equate to "popularity"?

Then why the fuck are there a bunch of obscure albums on there that just so happen to implement anything electronic then immediately slapped onto this shitfest of a chart.

If you're going with that fucking retarded logic, then this chart should be plastered with The Chainsmokers too.

>If you're going with that fucking retarded logic, then this chart should be plastered with The Chainsmokers too.

And Kanye, Thugger, Kendrick, Daft Punk, Justice... oh wai-

And guess what, The Chainsmokers' primary genre is electronic music and plaster the Billboard charts way more than all of those combined.

Oh wai- so I guess this chart truly IS random and/or retarded.

Shut the fuck up.

Chainsmokers are popular but every next-gen female popstar will cite TayTay as influence.

Shes also (rightly) got the fame she deserves, don't be jealous.

Lmfao this is such a Sup Forums chart. Half this shit isn't essential, a good handful aren't "electronic" in the way that EVERYONE else understands, instead they're the "hey they were made electronically lmao pleb look I browse Sup Forums" electronic albums. It's a shame because there's some genuine essentials on there. And if you're going to lump every single album you can think of together on to one chart, you can either divide it by year or sub-genre. This chart is just bad though, someone needs to try again.

>a good handful aren't "electronic" in the way that EVERYONE else understands, instead they're the "hey they were made electronically

Thats the EXACT definition of electronic music, stop baiting.

>Electronic music is music that employs electronic musical instruments and electronic music technology in its production, an electronic musician being a musician who composes and/or performs such music.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_music

>Electronic music is music which uses non-traditional electronic instrumentation and sound manipulation technology as the primary musical backbone of a composition.
rateyourmusic.com/genre/Electronic/

>Electronic music refers to music that emphasizes the use of electronic musical instruments or electronic music technology as a central aspect of the sound of the music. Historically, electronic music was considered to be any music created with the use of electronic musical instruments or electronic processing.
last.fm/tag/electronic

>Electronic music, any music involving electronic processing, such as recording and editing on tape, and whose reproduction involves the use of loudspeakers.
britannica.com/art/electronic-music

>Music performed using synthesizers and other electronic instruments.
en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/us/electronic_music

Shit, just found Katy Perry on that chart, fucking typed all that up for a troll post.

If an album fits WAY better in any other category, it belongs in that category.
MBDTF/TPAB/TMS/Nas/Wu-tang is more reasonably categorized as hip-hop/rap
Chvrches, Swift, and Katy Perry's albums are more reasonably/fairly categorized in pop music
Like come on, the whole reasoning behind genres and categorizing ANYTHING is for reference. What's the point of such organization if you slap every single label you can find out of thin air onto it watering down each added label in the process?
Did you make the chart or are you one of those people who just likes to debate things? Honest question.

>electronic music != hyperbeat festival music
That's what OP is asking for apparently.

Where?

No one is arguing about the definition. People are objecting to atrocious recommendations.

Techno, house and downtempo are genres like pop and hip hop, why would ANYTHING be labelled ''electronic music''?

>No one is arguing about the definition.
>a good handful aren't "electronic"

I don't know, maybe here:
>Adele
>Important and influential electronic music artist
I think you understand where this thread is going.

This always happens, the definition gets spouting over and over again instead of reading my appeal to understanding, just trying to understand what's the point of watering down charts.

The same way punk, metal, new wave, and emo are all "rock music". Sub-genres, friend.

Read my next post:
Not arguing the definition, just to make it clear once more time.

>The same way punk, metal, new wave, and emo are all "rock music". Sub-genres, friend.

Like hip hop, (most modern) pop and musique concrete.

I didn't make the chart but they are the most posted albums in their respective genres on this board, it fits they would be the representative albums.

>get into it

idk listen to it and decide if you like it or not

This is literally the most autistic and convoluted suggestion possible.

Just go to rym and discogs and look at the top right seed electronic albums for each year.

>electronic
>music

Nice meme kid