Mechanic thread. A-level tech at major national chain. Ask me anything

Mechanic thread. A-level tech at major national chain. Ask me anything.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=v6bigWDsOsI&hd=1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Why doesn't my horse start?

What is interesting about your job?

Did you make sure it had gas in it?
It challenges me to better myself. They pay for school. I like working on cars.

Accurate

Don't be mad my toolbox costs more than your car.

Self bump. No one having auto issues? I'm bored fuckers

Congratulations on buying an expensive box.

Question. I work in firearm manufacturing, so I'm not a complete idiot with mechanical things, but know nothing about cars.

If I were to spend 4 hours a day on it, how long do you think it would take to be reasonably proficient at 'car things?' By proficient, I mean being able to conduct all maintenance and troubleshooting myself, and ideally all repairs that can reasonably be done in a garage. Assume that this proficiency applies to one vehicle, or class of vehicles (if that exists).

do you pack your own lunches to work or get take out?

What's the worst thing you've fucked up on a car?

I did my best. Unlike your waifu pillow, my box will hold value and serves a purpose other than being a cum receptacle for your worthless seed

Doesn't have a choice. Needs lots of tools

fthat's boss man, also bragging about price of something is so low level you don't even understand, I hope you never say that in real life.

not op,. but fellow wrench monkey. cars are like guns in that if you have a basic understanding of the fundamental way they function, you can work on most anything.

He's not bragging. Probably still paying it off.

I always wanted to get into mechanics but suck at it.

Was thinking about buying a vintage heap like a mk1 golf and try to restore it from the ground up with pointers from my dad.

Am sculptor so body work is piss easy for me. Everyone in my family is an engineer or mech, so I hate myself.

Should I do this?

have you ahd any major fuk ups?
what's the worse diy job you've had to fix because someone else butchered the job?
Have you ever lost your shit and thrown a tool?

I'm so glad i never became a mechanic, I love working on my own cars yet hater it so much at the same time, maybe if i had a 2 post hoist it wouldn't be so bad

why cant all you AMA faggots go back to red
dit

any man that owns a dick and a car should be able to work on each one respectively..

Why can't you piss off from threads you have no interest in?

When you built your drilldo, did you just use a drill bit bored into an existing dildo? Or is there more to it?

Need this fixed! But I got no money. How much can you do it for?

A non idiot could pass all of the ase tests (national standard for mechanicfag) in a few weeks studying a few hours a day. Diagnostics takes longer. Experience is key. 2 years in a shop working on cars 10 hours a day and you will be able to tackle anything.
50/50
Didn't put oil in a late model Toyota when I was just starting out. Came back in when they noticed the oil light. Toyota was fine. I didn't fuck that up again

welcome to Sup Forums fag

Cute little toolbox/trashcan maybe you can stop smoking, save up and buy the rest of the toolbox

39.95 a week for the rest of my life

And my first born son

Duh no shit that's why I want to learn. My father is a chief marine engineer on an oil tanker and I'm a neet.

Should I go the way I propose by just buying a scrap and restoring it or should I start with a moped or something?

If i put a mad turbo on muh hondah accord will it run 9s

Are you a high school drop out with neck tattoos and multiple drug related arrests who can't perform simple maintenance without fucking up the customer's car?

If not, how the hell did you get the job?

Ground up restoring is a pain in the dick but you will learn a lot, and appreciate the experience when finished. Do it. Keep everything organized. Labels on everything. Take it piece by piece. You got this shit

Having a lift make a big difference. Nothing super major a far as fuck ups go. Dude forgot to tighten caliper bolts and slung his shit going down the highway. Fucked up about 3000 worth of shit on his mustang

Thanks. My uncle is currently restoring a Fiat 128 sport, and my dad is always fucking about on his Benelli Tnt.
Cousin (also naval chief engineer) restores cars as a hobby.

I always wanted a vintage car like pic related, and have an encyclopedic knowledge about cars and engines, but no practical skill

>tfw my dad had an 1uz ra28 celica and sold it

Shaping the filler is only a small part of doing bodywork lol

Nah hop in with the big shit. Make sure frame is good. Basically anything else can be fixed

And sperglord forgot the img

Not only the filler I'm ok at welding and hammering dents out. Took 4 years of metalwork classes.

Yes. Make sure the muffler is loud

This thread is full of slow learning retards.

Good sir

What do you recommend to a pleb who has no car experience whatsoever and couldn't change his own oil

Should I buy a piece of shit junk car for $600 that will maybe last a year or less? Or buy a used but newer (~2015) car and make payments and wait for it to become a junker then start over?

I feel you brother.

Ever fuck with circuit Breakers? What's your opinion on zinsco and federal pacific if you have.

I hate people like this. The world would be better off without you.

whats the worst ammount of frame rust you have seen?

Can it vtec yo

Buy a solid late 90s early 2ks german or japanese car.

Guaranteed bulletproof except individual quirks you can read about.

My sportbike is running horrible and has black smoke coming out the exhaust. It is chipped i think the map could be making it run rich and fouling the plugs, whats your input? its a 2014 cbr1000rr

Oh no I don't share your hobby fucking sue me faggot

Not even OP. Pay outright for a car if you don't plan on upkeep. Otherwise you may be paying off a loan on a car that don't run.

not OP but im an electrician, if you have zinsco you are sitting on a fucking fire bomb with an unknown trigger, get that shit replaced yesterday.

What is the average cost of rebuilding a ford 4cyl?

Fuck off. Nobody knows the truth until they've been fucked over or informed. Your derision is useless and arbitrary

i should think at the least... it's a form of meditation working on cars. Nothing you can appreciate about the practicality of it, cunt?

Which one? If it's ecoboost you better get a new engine altogether.

I have a totaled escape that takes 8k to fix.

G/s here just started at firestone but have a few years experience on simple car shit, brakes suspension etc.

My question is, do you have any recommendations on tools I should get that i wouldn't think to buy but will save me a lot of trouble? Yknow what I mean right?

What truth are you talking about m80

Nah, just nervous about starting out in the industry. No experience needed to start. They let you do oil changes and tires. Then you study and buy tools. Take ase tests. Get promoted. I went to college and quit after 2 years with a 3.2 gpa. I love cars and did what I had to do to be happy. I do have an arrest record but no drug charges, nothing in over 10 years

how often should i change my turn signal fluid?

Not op here. I've had the same truck for 13 years. I didn't know shit when I got it. Questions to friends who know about cars, google and youtube have kept it in shape. You can find a video of any repair for any common car on youtube.

No, it's based someone admitting to willful ignorance. If you can't change your oil you shouldn't drive a god damn car. Then again it's retards like that who keep retards like OP employed doing bare minimum. There is a reason everyone thinks most mechanics are losers.

lol, my truck bluebooks at $500. You're telling me I should just drop a crate motor into it, aren't you?

I'm good with electrical work. Never messed with those brands or circuit breakers in general

it's a 1989 2.3L distributorless fuel injected.

>good with electrical work
>never messed with circuit breakers

What a retard.

i agree fellow tech btw also wondering but what do other techs like more independent shop, dealership, or a chain like op. currently at a dealership. pretty young guy so cant give my full opinion but i used to work at a independent shop and i can say that both have their ups and downs.

Early 90s gmc broke in half on the lift. Frame rusted through

>oh my god he doesn't get his hands dirty
>actually wants to learn how to do so
>better berate him to make myself feel better

honestly if you wanted to make your ranger badass, pull the motor and put a 350 small block chevy in it, I have a buddy who did this in his back yard.

Do you drive a piece of shit?

All mechanics I know let their cars deteriorate because they get sick of working on other peoples cars all day and stop caring about their own.

Mechanics always remind me of this song.

youtube.com/watch?v=v6bigWDsOsI&hd=1

>wants to learn
>doesn't take it upon himself
>asks others for the answer to lifes mysteries

Kill yourself you fucking loser. People who don't know the basics and just ask to be told are retarded mother fuckers who go nowhere.

do you have a line of credit with snap-on?

if so, what is your credit limit?

Black smoke does point to fuel issues. Any way to disable the chip? Would not drive too much. Flooding cylinders can fuck your shit up

Between $2-$10000

first year apprentice from Ontario reporting in.
OP I'm curious, is it difficult to find work where you are?

i had an apprenticeship about 4 years ago and got fucked over and never gained any hours, and just 2 months ago found another garage to take me on.
4 years it took me to find an apprenticeship, i even had prior experience to that.
so is it the same where you are?

could just be a two stroke motor lmao (dont know much about motor cycle engines)

this is true my toolbox cost 10gs lol

Not OP but I am a marine mechanic, I do have a line of credit with snap-on, I have spent well over 15k on there tools, now a set of 8 metric wrenches is $500+

lol, that would be awesome. There a lot of fabrication to get it to mount up?

i agree with this, if you buy any common car, there will be a tutorial online for it. and if you have a basic understanding of "whatever-you-take-off-must-go-back-on-the-same-way", its not so hard to do basic upkeep

Yes because everybody knows where to start, and should not use the benefit of having internet for efficiency's sake.

Pretentious faggot.

If you had to choose between for working on Nissan Z32 300ZX or a Mazda FD RX7 which would you choose?

If you have a mac dealer, they have a set of mountain wrenches that are bomb. Pic related. After that, start building your socket collection

nice

snap-on is the shit

I can confirm this. The problem is I know what needs to be replaced and what can wait not to mention the janky macgyver fixes that sometimes last years but look trashy as hell.

see its a honda. theres your problem

master race 2001 yz250 reporting in
oh and the side bae 1991 dr20se

you didnt let its sit forever did you?

>1000ccm CBR
>2 stroke

Oh god.

snap-on is the go to brand for morons who want to look like they know what they're doing instead of actually knowing.

it is a 4 stroke, and the chip i have deletes the cat and 02 sensor, runs off of custom fuel maps. Its pretty much a brand new bike with 8k miles and i cant even ride it.

butthurt craftsman faggot

>I don't know shit about shit
>I haz custom chipz!
>I so kewl!
>lol bike doesn't work!
>wut do!?

You are a gigantic FAGGOT.

for some stuff this is true

that sucks. if i knew what i was talking about id try to help but im not one to spew bs out in a frenzy.

i dont think ti would be to hard, is your truck an automatic? I know there's tons of videos on youtube of peopleing doing it, you would have to weld new mounts in. You would also have to take it easy on your transmission and drive shaft. a small block chevy runs for around $500 on craigslist for a completely stock one.

although i wouldnt replace any of my snap on tools with other brands

do you have a better pic of your box?

Still make more than you without working as hard. Now that we are all feeling cocky i might as well throw that out.

Op here. I don't actually do oil changes anymore. Once you get past the entry level you move to bigger and more complicated shit. Besides that, what you pay for an oil change ($20) is Damn near what you go and buy your own oil for. Your opinion of mechanics is not how most people feel. This retard makes 60000 a year. What do you do for a living?