youtube.com/watch?v=RShJi5kjXgE
youtube.com/watch?v=6SFNW5F8K9Y
youtube.com/watch?v=7STxec5gIiw
youtube.com/watch?v=dp9aHtN4K74
youtu.be/AVCOKbYKQm8
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Trey Anastasio

Robin Trower.

Steve Howe. Really good at electric guitar (listen to Close to the Edge by Yes) but also fantastic at many other styles.

Really good at acoustic fingerpicking/bluegrass (The Clap, Starship Trooper) pedal steel (Going For the One) etc

This

Kek

There's only one God.

Tell me,why does he wear the mask? Oh yea,and the bucket..that too...

This thread would not be complete without John Petrucci.

Buckethead is the goat, and I'm thankful for how productive he is, but so much of it is shovelware.

I wish there was a smaller best of collection that was like 25 cds.

Slow decline after Cream. He peaked at Wheels of Fire. Sure he had his moments afterwards like some JJ Cale ripoffs and Layla, as well as Blind Faith, but his musicianship paled in comparison to Jack Bruce or Ginger Baker

Kirk Cobain

May the force be with you

Fucker already has 2 albums out for this year. Does he own the world record yet?

Why are we forgetting about the actual g.o.a.t No one can touch Jimi, Clapton was close, but even Clapton admits that Jimi was better.

Best Guitarists (incomplete/unranked)
---Part 1---
Jimi Hendrix
Carlos Santana
Jeff Beck
Allan Holdsworth
John McLaughlin
Robert Fripp
Adrian Belew
Gary Lucas

Andrés Segovia
Django Reinhardt
Paco De Lucia
Al DiMeola
Leo Kottke
Robert Johnson
Albert King
B.B.King
Buddy Guy
Duane Eddy
Link Wray
Scotty Moore
Les Paul
Joe Pass
Chet Atkins
Chuck Berry
Dick Dale
Steve Cropper

Stevie Ray Vaughn
Eric Clapton
Johnny Winter
Duane Allman
Derek Trucks
Dicky Betts
Billy Gibbons
Gary Moore
Frank Zappa

jimi was overrated

yeah this
but good though

Also, Tosin Abasi is the most technically talented guitarist I've ever seen.

---Part 2---
Gary Green
David Rhodes
Steve Hackett
Steve Morse
Steve Howe
John Petrucci
Brian May
Tom Verlaine
Richard Thompson
David Evans (The Edge)
Denny Dias
Jeff 'Skunk' Baxter
Robin Trower
John Frusciante
Tom Morello
Reeves Gabrels
Johnny Marr
J Mascis
Prince
Andy Summers
Eddie Van Halen
Joe Satriani
Steve Vai
Yngwie Malmsteen
Guthrie Govan
Tosin Abasi
Jimmy Page
David Gilmour
Mark Knopfler
Pete Townshend
Keith Richards
George Harrison
Martin Barre
Marc Bolan
Alvin Lee
Leslie West
Jerry Garcia
Mick Ronson
Jorma Kaukonen
Lindsay Buckingham
Roger McGuinn
Bruce Springsteen

---Part 3---
Rory Gallagher
Ry Cooder
Buckethead
Joe Walsh
Brian Setzer
Dave Edmunds
Mike McCready
Peter Buck
Bonnie Raitt
Nancy Wilson
Susan Tedeschi
Joe Perry
Mike Campbell
Robbie Robertson
Peter Green
Jerry Harrison
Alex Lifeson
Ritchie Blackmore
Randy Rhoads
Trey Anastasio

Who's missing?

Fripp
Hendrix
Clapton
Steve Howe
Al DiMeola
Django Reinhardt
Mike Stern
John Mclaughlin
Alex Lifeson

Also:

Derek Trucks
Dave Gilmore
Rory Gallagher
Tosin Abasi

Steve Howe
Trevor Rabin

Admittedly he was a bit messy, but he's influenced so many people, and shock me still has one of my favorite solo's ever.

God.

Best answer. Just try to play Clap, you plebs.

Excellent choice

Not that great of a guitarist, but a god-tier musician.

I like you

slash
brian may
angus

yesss, I saw him in cleveland last year, he was fantastic.

Michael Batio

youtube.com/watch?v=uJ6oABxbSaM

He's just unreal. I was listening to that, as well as Tales from Topographic Oceans today, and it's just mindblowingly amazing. His playing is so beautiful and melodic. He adds so much texture to the songs, as well as just having insane chops. His playing blends beautifully with Chris Squire and Rick Wakeman's playing too.
His country ish telecaster playing on the Relayer album is just too good. Soundchaser specifically, but To Be Over is just serene.
He is criminally underrated.

The electric sitar playing on Close to the Edge at the 4:00 section is also fucking so awesome. I could rant about Yes all fucking day, man. The chord sequence for Wurm is just so beautiful. It is like an ourobourous in the way that it resolves back onto itself making it satisfying to hear on a continuous loop, allowing for it to repeat, and expand dynamically allowing for a massive finish. He's a brilliant composer

youtube.com/watch?v=PZKIh5aCYCI

I could also talk about Chris Squire since I'm a bassist but i'll save that for another day

>

Pic related

RIP Chris
Fish Out of Water is one of prog's most underrated and overlooked albums (and remains one of my favorites; Lucky Seven was/is my theme song.)

Easily the most underrated. When you have the godliest bassist and drummer in your band you tend to get overshadowed but I would put his playing ability on the same level and his creativity with his solo work and a lot of his leads is without compare.

youtube.com/watch?v=78D00dYOBrM

anyone who says that Alex Lifeson sucks needs to see this clip. Absolute genius

mah nigga

and I forgot to add: well-said and amen about Steve Howe. He caused me to pretty much abandon the blues-based and heavy metal music I had been playing up til then, to aspire to play like him.

What's with the hitler face on Chuck?

Fuck yes. That is my go to when people need to see the genius that is Alex Lifeson.

And in case people think he can't do that anymore because he is old here he is 30 years later still shredding it. youtube.com/watch?v=RShJi5kjXgE

Smug motherfucker is a guitar wizard

I'd like to add Iain Bairnson. He's the guitarist from Alan Parsons. Didn't have a huge amount of playtime I don't think, but he played on all the album's. I loved his style growing up, and he seems like a nice guy.

Great list man,most of them I have heard and am fond of.

He is one of my biggest inspirations as a composer, bandmember, bassist, etc. His lines were nothing that anybody else had ever played. Nobody plays like him even to this day.

The best part about his work is that there are so many hidden gems in the Yes discography that really show his awesome playing. Even going back and listening to the same old tunes 1000 times you hear something different every time with his basslines. In Close to the Edge for example, he plays a 4/4 lick with Bill Bruford under a 6/4 polyrythym in the keys, vocals, and guitar. He later plays the same riff but elongates it to 6/4. Tiny details that add so much. Eternal recursion.

Or in Heart of the Sunrise, the phrases in his arpeggiated bassline when the vocals first come in, can later be heard in the climax of the song being played on the moog synth. Masterful compositions on his part, to be able to write phrases as a bassist that are transcendent of the instrument.

Also, try to sing and play any of his backup harmonies and basslines at the same time. It's next to impossible

julian lage

Spencer Seim

Christ on a stick that was fantastic

Tosin is pretty boring though for a pogressive metal player ,I like the work of the other guitarist in his band more.

Amazing guitar player but boring songwriter

Fuck yeah dude, this solo give me goosebumps

youtube.com/watch?v=6SFNW5F8K9Y

I saw them in Toronto in 2011 (if i recall correctly) and in 2015. All 3 of them were fucking spot on 100%. I hope I can still retain my playing ability when I'm 64

Django Reinhardt my dudes

Am i the only one that thinks hendrix doesnt deserve top tiers. Yes he had his own unique style that created a massive movement in the industry, but technical? Not so much. Just popular for the time

True musical god

Rick Renstrom
youtube.com/watch?v=7STxec5gIiw

Not technically as gifted as some, but fuck I love his rhythm

Bucket head, Hes the Shit. ANimals as leaders?

Kys newfag

youtube.com/watch?v=dp9aHtN4K74

Brian May
Truly God Tier

Shock Me has one of the best riffs ever too. That intro.

the only answer.

Best BH live imo

youtu.be/AVCOKbYKQm8

again, well expressed, and I couldn't agree more

K

Clapton wasn't close.

Neal Schon and Jim Root

Fuck Yes

God is a god tier guitarist.

You're one of those 'audiophiles' aren't you? You make beats don't you?

JORMA KAUKONEN
BOB WEIR
BUDDY GUY
ROBBIE ROBERTSON
PEPEU GOMES

BILL STEER FOR SURE

Andy LaRocque

Most underrated in history.

such a beautiful guitarist gone too soon

Yall niggas need Jesus

Howe is quite possibly my biggest influence. You never forget the first time you heard Close to the Edge. I was stoned beyond belief at a friend's house and he put the vinyl on and it was so overwhelming I couldn't focus on anything else.

Rush can play some seriously good instrumentals.

The "seasoned witch can dawn you from the depths of your disgrace" still mystifies me to this day. It was nothing like anything I had ever heard in my whole life of listening to music when I first heard that electric sitar strumming with some almost funky ryhtym section delivery with that triumphant and mighty singing from Jon Anderson.
All those tunes are the soundtracks to my epiphanies

>my biggest influence
shut up, you're nobody