Is this PTA's best?

Is this PTA's best?

bump

TAME THE PUSSY

There Will Be Blood > The Master > Punch-Drunk Love > Boogie Nights > Magnolia > Inherent Vice > Hard Eight

None of them are bad, though

RESPEC THE COCK

yes

>TFW PTA is the only director to get Adam Sandler in a good movie

desu I've only seen TWBB, Boogie and this. The performances were really what sold me on the film, particularly John C. Reilly, always goin on about people's language. Philip Seymour Hoffman is a fucking bro. The whole cast is perfect. Only parts of it I found lacking were Tom Cruise. I thought the game show scenes were awesome. Can't say if it's his best work, but I think it's close to a 5/5 movie.

He was meant to play Eli Roth's character in Inglorious Basterds, which would've been pretty good. I don't remember why that ended up falling through

yes

Not really. It was an experimental phase like when Scorsese made "After Hours." It wasn't a movie, it was just him playing with the medium for no reason.

His movies afterward got far better.

What makes you say that?

would have made the whole movie worse

Nah, it wasn't just empty experimental wank. The "everyone is connected" format fits your accusation, but individual characters & storylines were still powerful and personal and well-crafted in ways that had nothing to do with "playing with the medium for no reason"

but after hours is fucking great

Couldn't have been worse than Eli though, tbqph. That guy cannot deliver a line, took me out of the movie every time he opened his mouth. Sandler's no great actor either, but he's always been good at violent tantrums, I could totally see him murdering prisoners with a baseball bat

Inherent Vice is his best, by a lot.

He decided to do Funny People instead.

I can't imagine how anyone could really believe this.

That's a banal and reductive way to look at both Magnolia and After Hours, but especially After Hours.

Was about to post the exact same order, except by switching TWBB with The Master. I don't know how PTA is going to top that.

I agree with your order, The Master is my favorite PTA film and it's also his best looking due to 70mm