I am a catholic bishop. I don't believe in any religion any more. AMA

I am a catholic bishop. I don't believe in any religion any more. AMA.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=IdtKbq3Omkw
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

What "brought you to the light"?

Were you in Caddyshack?

Do you still believe in God?

So do you have to walk diagonal or is that symbolic of something in chess

youtube.com/watch?v=IdtKbq3Omkw

I guess there is a fair amount of backstory:

I grew up Orthordox in a ukrainian family. While I still love them very much, I never really liked some of the principles of Orthordoxy. I converted to Catholicism when I was 17, and was very passionate to my faith. I was always a nice kid, and I went to church weekly, but I wanted more. I traveled the world, Poland, Ukraine, China, many beautiful places. My most memorable location was the Vatican. I wanted to be there. I wanted that highest position and wanted to be as close to "god" as humanly possible. I became a priest, loved what I did, but always had this nagging feeling that it still wasn't enough. Somehow what I was feeling was wrong. I did research on my own time, looked into the sciences, theoretical physics, astronomy, etc. I couldn't believe that I had been so blinded by my faith. I continued with my priesthood, and was soon elevated to Bishop. I want out. I can't help but hate what I do now. I want to live a normal fucking life now. I want to work a 9 to 5. I want to come home and jerk off to Sup Forums and cry. I want to live like a normal fucking person.

Nope.

And so after devoting so much time and effort to doing God's work, do you feel you've wasted your life....to this point?

My concern is not that I have spent too much and have too little left, it's that I do not have enough motivation to continue.

Doesn't Catholic clergy make sure you are very devoted and thought through the options before you join the priesthood? Sounds like you skipped that part.

They do. It all hit me at once. I just woke up one day, and realized I wanted out.

>I want to work a 9 to 5

This is heresy and most probably bait. I don't want to work ever again, but money is not free. There is no freedom whatsoever.

how old are you OP? and how does it feel for you to lose your beliefs?

if I might share a bit: I was about 20 when I realised I couldn't bring myself to believe in christianity anymore. am now 40 and I'm losing all my other spiritual beliefs too. I'd write it off as just pessimism stemming from depression, but it feels way too familiar. feels like it did when I walked away from the church for good.

except this time it doesn't feel liberating. it feels like I'm losing the comfort of belief at a time when I need it most. maybe it sounds weak to need to believe in something, if so then sue me, I'm weak, I guess.

OP have you given any thought to what you would do outside the priesthood?

That's logical (as I was thinking through your situation). Without God, who's played such an important part in your life, the logical conclusion is: What's the point? And therefore, what am I continuing/moving towards?

Are you now a Nihilist? Or perhaps you're just moving towards Nihilism?

9-5 and a cubicle...ugh, shoot me.

they do, but they're not jedi or bene gesserit or whatever. they can't see into your brain. there are more priests, bishops, etc. who don't believe in god than you would think. if they're lying to their congregation by professing their belief, they can just as easily lie to the cardinal.

wonder if the pope believes in god.

Why does licking your own feet feel so weird?

there's no wonder or mystery to anything anymore, that's part of the problem

44. I can only either die or wait until I am 75 before I can retire from my position.

It all happened too quickly for me. It hit my like a truck. Quick and hard. Painful, without forgiveness. Now all I can think about is getting out.

OP, you still there man?

ah there you are. really? you can't quit before you're 75?

what if you went to the cardinal or whoever you report to and told them you don't believe in god anymore?

Poor B8 M8. If you were one, you'd have spelled it Catholic. My guess is you are some agnostic shitstain

some people don't bother to punctuate properly on Sup Forums dude. mainly for the same reason they don't put on their church clothes to go to walmart.

what if you showed them this thread? that would get you out pretty quick I bet.

Cardinals are just like us Bishops, but with an extra title. My best bet is to send a letter to the Pope himself, and request an early retirement. Francis is probably the most progressive Pope in all of history, so it isn't out of the question, but it is still unlikely.

Just doing God's work

So get out; it's not like you believe anymore. What's holding you back?

I love it when atheists come on here and make up shit stories to try and make themselves feel better

If you don't believe in God anymore, you don't believe in the church...so who cares about sending letters to the Pope, or asking for retirement; just leave.

My own morals. I liked what I did, and I have always been loved and supported by family and friends, and I have had a lasting positive influence on the Cathedral and Churches I support. Life is too short to just up and quit. I don't want to just end. I want to go out understandably, and reasonably.

so how come they'd rather have a bishop who doesn't believe in god than let him quit?

How many kids have u diddled?

While it's retarded, it's all because of tradition.

Sup Forums must be slipping, it took like 30 posts for someone to ask that

I propose that Sup Forums help OP write a resignation letter to the pope one word at a time. what could go wrong?

Astrophysics and sciences can explain only so much, we will die out before we discover everything.

We as humans can only experience so much and we base everything off of that experience however limited it may be which is incorrect.

You need a deeper understanding to understand God, you cannot define God by human standards. Also, look into Islam.

I may be a morally good person, I will fucking murder anyone who tries to convert me to a religion that condones what Islam condones.

oh shit! im a catholic bishop too bro, whats up dude?

start lookin for loopholes OP, there's gotta be a way out of your job.

But that's contradictory. You don't want it to end, yet your faith has ended...and faith is what that community, which you value, is based upon.

You cannot leave 'reasonably' or 'understandably' as you put it. It's going to be very tough; better to do it quickly than draw it out. But that's just me.

He can quit, many priests have. He won't be dispensed from his vows, but that's another matter; one which he shouldn't care about because he doesn't believe in God.

Maybe you're having a 'dark night of the soul' like Mother Teresa supposedly did for 50 years.

I can't help but agree with you. I need to mentally strain myself to apply a headstrong attitude akin to yours. I'm going to pass out soon, but until then I'll be gone, thinking and plotting. Thanks Sup Forums. I'm done for tonight. I might continue this tomorrow. G'night.