Itt: artists who never topped their debut album

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=RBtiKidZlA0
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Agree op. Also

AnCo

every subsequent Foals album has improved on that turd and What Went Down is their best album to date

Most obvious example

Every album after Antidotes is just cheesy and boring indie pop. Antidotes is an all around great record of catchy and very danceable pop punk tunes

>catchy
>danceable
>tunes

all words used by the undiscerning listener

Knew some fag would post this
Saucerful is much better

>debut

t. Fantano

This, desu, OP. Pinkerton wasn't that good

Television

wtf i said desu not desu

You said desu, desu.

CORPORAL CLEGG

The ultimate example.

stop spamming desu

post s/t and i'll agree

Kinda torn on this because Maniac Meat was great, too.

Holy Fire is unironically their best album

Best example ever

Half-right
Yes
Yes
Definitely fucking yes.

>half-right

I assume you mean because it's their only album fully conceptualized by Syd?

Close but no cigar.

fuck off

Contrary to what a lot of people say, I think that he has a lot of great albums in his discography, post pop depression was a close call for AOTY for me. But after all this years, The idiot is still the best.

Fuck off

I know it is the best but I have a soft spot in my heart for Dark Side
We call it "Red".

Larks Tongue destroys ITCOTCK. Lizard and Island are also two of the best progressive rock albums ever recorded

Sup Forums is full of bullshitters like you just trying to hard. They have a great discography, but ITCOTCK is consistently ranked as one of the greatest albums of all time, and the rest aren't, and there's a reason for that. It doesn't blow the rest of albums away, but there's that magic that can only come from a debut, with the innovation of a great band, and impeccable songwriting.

I'm super biased though. The End is probably my favorite track of all time.

I really enjoyed Apres, too, but I agree with you. This is just too damn good.

How do people actually believe that Piper is their best? I can understand the frustration of King Crimson's underrated follow ups, but Pink Floyd made some grear albums that are, if only, slightly better.

Islands, Larks' Tongues, Starless, Red and Discipline are all better

Strange Days > The Doors
When the Music's Over > The End

It might be their most important and influential album but that doesn't have any bearing on how enjoyable it is to listen to. If I'm going to listen to KC I'd rather listen to the albums that don't have Epitaph and Moonchild wasting space

Ultima is still very good though

this

Easy mode

Epitath is wasting space? lol

>Epitaph and Moonchild wasting space
I haven't heard such a shitty opinion in a long time

Fucking this

Absolutely disgusting.

wrong

Is this album actually good? I was under the impression Foals were essential Crosley-core but I kind of like Spanish Sahara.

Yeah, I actually like that one a lot. Just not quite as much as his first two.

A U T I S M
(though desu their debut album wasn't that great)

Is this the only example in hip hop? I guess you could make an argument for Biggie.

Bet I can trigger Sup Forums harder

Clouddead

You mean by implying Death Grips were ever good right?
>hip hop

Well technically no one said anything about the artists themselves being great. Only requirement is that the debut is their best.

Clouddead are hip hop

I would listen to a cogent argument for When The Music Stops but

>The Doors
>zero bad songs

>Strange Days
>Horse Latitudes

Came here specifically to post this

No they aren't.

Get the fuck outta here this might be their worst.

>You mean by implying Death Grips were ever good right?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA FUCKING ROASTED HIM

Cannibal Ox

Hey I found the newfag

>Horse Latitudes
>bad song

>not enjoying to Horse Latitudes while having Jim Morrison's voice penetrate your very soul.

Noise music is degenerate.

Yeah there first album is really good even there latter albums have a handful of good songs between them.

>stgstv
>noise music

dropped

At least that was only because they never tried to do another album like it

Most of their albums are good

This
Agreed. Foals went to shit the moment they dropped their math-y influences.

God, I remember how big that album was and then they just became a generic band. I'm half glad, though, because some middle-class poseur asshole kept going on about it like "you have to turn the volume all the way up to appreciate this album", acting like it was some fucking revolutionary shit.

Saucerful only good half is the first half, and that's because its songs are influenced by Barret

>he fell for (((waters))) memes
embarrassing

>muh experiment

Would make a better slam poem

The most perfect post in this thread. Such a strong debut album that they never had a prayer in topping it.

also DFA1979

>Sydplebs
Fuck off

Idolizing a drug addled loser who's whole legacy consists of three albums, who then proceeded to throw away his career and his life and ended up an obese diabetic who pushed around shopping carts.

Wu-Tang Clan seems to be even more apparent example to me. Excluding solo efforts of course.

fall be kind is the only decent thing they've ever done

Technically an EP but still better

this

HCTI and Feels >>>
Even MPP may be better

this and it kills me every time I listen to it

This is unironically correct.

When Syd left, Pink Floyd went to complete dogshit.

A Weekend in the City is much better. Only plebs prefer Silent Alarm.

>A Weekend In The City is much better

This is what one person in the entire fucking universe actually believes

It truly is though.

Where is Home is the only weak track on the album.

Also, this song is basically better than anything on Silent Alarm and it was a fucking B side.

youtube.com/watch?v=RBtiKidZlA0

if you actually think this, you def. have not heard their other stuff cuz that one is not that unique for them

Even trips won't help you reinforce this point. A Weekend In The City was one of the biggest disappointments in terms of follow-ups in the last ten years.

I remember being really excited for it after hearing the track about the 7/7 bombings live.

The album never gets going - the production is way too slick and it just devolves into Lissack having an autistic effects pedal wig-out on everything.

To me, the biggest problem was who they recruited to produce the album - Jacknife Lee has produced some of the most painfully middle of the road efforts in the last fifteen years. Think Snow Patrol. Paul 'Phones' Epworth was/is a far better producer but I think he was tied up doing Madonna's or Adele's album.

Even Intimacy was a better effort than this album.

You've got great taste, but their debut is still better.

You listen to & the Voidz?

To each his own, but I don't know why you would expect their second album to be a Silent Alarm 2. Artists evolve, and I think a lot of the complaints people have about AWITC is that it didn't meet their preconceived notions of what it SHOULD sound like.

I think when you strip those prejudices and listen to the album with fresh ears, you'll find it's pretty damn good.

I agree that it wasn't about being Silent Alarm 2 - it's just that everyone expected something far more adventurous than what they produced.

I suppose that it's impossible to repeat the urgency of a debut. Look at how shit Disclosure and Catfish look by making the same album again.

Fair enough. Just curious, is there any song on the album you like though?
Also, have you listened to the B sides? They're like an entire scrapped album and better than the actual album.

It Was Written was pretty good, but yeah. Illmatic is just too good.

My nigga. Kid A is trying too hard and everything else is boring