Are they the most important black musicians?

Are they the most important black musicians?

Who is bottom middle?

why are you people so weird about black people

Hendrix should be on there

We have threads about influential white people too.

wow dr dre really looks like shit there..

>Who is bottom middle?
yeah, who is that?

>no John Coltrane
>No Ornette Coleman
>No Nina Simone
>No Sun Ra
>No Bob Marley

innit carl craig
I appreciate the inclusion of a technist but it's kind of arbitrary which one you pick given the scene-driven scene - and now that I think about it, carl is such a home-listener's friend, not really representative of clubsmen

now who's bottom left damn

You forgot xxxtentation

>Forgetting the savior of modern music

shameful

>no Gil Scott
also this, why are white people so obsessed? Let us be

kys

wrong one

At least pick Juan Atkins or Kevin Saunderson or someone.

>no Al Jolson

kek.

not even a footnote

Its Jeff Mills you dumb cunts, jesus fuck this board is embarrassing

Does anyone like this shit?

kek, Chicago Techno
pretty much. At least have one of tje originators.

And Chuck Berry and Kanye's inclusion are highly debatable.

no one knows who half of these faggots are

No just Anthony fantano

Miles Davis
Chuck Berry
James Brown
Lee Perry
Jeff Mills
Kanye West

Just goes to show how bad this board is.

I just listened to Lullaby for the first time and it actually isn't bad.

ehh Jill Scott has a great voice and all but she never really did anything that really CHANGED music (or at least from what i know i could be wrong). unless you mean being one of the main iconic neo soul artists

I'm sure user means Gil Scott Heron, you pleb

this

my bad lmao

what? Sup Forums is one of the few places on this site where i see more casual and mature conversations about race and culture

Lee "Scratch" Perry is without a doubt one of the most influential black musicians, arguably one of the most influential on the list above. Perry's creativity paved the way for dub music, which in turn was massively influential to genres such as hip-hop and electronic. Even the concept of the remix as we know it was immortalized in the versions Perry created in the Black Ark studio. Shame that Sup Forums is more enamored with their bleeps and bloops to know or care.

no one itt this thread argued against the inclusion of LP.

But nice essay.

is he more influential then say U-Roy?

you see how this can get complicated.

Thanks senpai, I'm just autistic about this kind of thing and felt the compulsion to explain in case any anons were wondering why he was there (instead of Bob Marley, for example).

> Sup Forums
> enamored with their bleeps and bloops

Where? When? Other than /bleep/.

I can indeed. Given the choice between the two of them, I would still have to give it to Perry. I can of course respect U-Roy's legacy as a toasting pioneer, but I just feel as though Scratch's influence was more diverse and far-reaching.

People unironically think Kanye really fucking matters huh?

>more enamored

The more is an important part of that expression. On any given day one can easily spot at least one /bleep/, and a near-total absence of anything reggae-related.

>no MJ
>no Prince
>no Hendrix

He does matter. Especially for people under 30 or so.

But still, I hear ya.

Kanye's legacy is going to be an artist who tried to have it both ways and failed.

He was never either completely corrupt nor was he ever exactly righteous.

He tried to play both sides of the coin until the end.

i know in recent years his music might not be flawless but he is very influential. I also think he has the hugest impact on fashion compared to any living artist at the moment (not that its reliant to the thread but i just felt it should be mentioned)

people tend to forget that Hendrix was black.

oh right, compared to reggae and dub sure.

>no Queen Bey

>no Flo Rida

>No mention of Duke Ellington or Louis Armstrong in this entire thread.

>no Jimi Hedrix
>no Michael Jackson
>no Marvin Gaye
>no John Coltrane
>no 2pac or Biggie
>no Dr. Dre
>no Little Richard
>no Bo Diddley
>no Robert Johnson
>no Louise Jordan
>no Louise Armstrong
>no Duke Ellington
>no Ottis Redding
>no Sam Cooke
>no Stevie Wonder
>no Ray Charles
>no Nat King Cole
>no Nina Simone
>no Prince
>no B.B King
>no Scott Joplin
>no Charles Mingus
>no Bob Marley
>no Aretha Franklin

alright it seems like we're starting to just name every black artist ever but Michael Jackson definitely needs to be here

The only one who is inarguable is James Brown

>>no 2pac or Biggie

your post went to shit there, pac was not good, Biggie was decent at most

then again OP has kanye below james brown so whatever

it doesn't matter if they made """"""shit""""" music.
They were super influential

needs Charles Mingus and Jimi Hendrix

>no jimi
>no chuck berry
>no bb king

you fucked up, OP

>muh geetaz

Miles Davis is great, but Charles Mingus, Ornette Coleman, and Art Blakey are just as innovative, and they're probably comparable in terms of influence. Blakey might not shine quite as bright as the others, but he and the kids he mentored, like Wayne Shorter, were really bebop's core

Chuck Berry is in my opinion possibly the most important musician in the creation of rock. But that said, I'd still say he's a lesser talent than some of the bluesmen that preceded him, most notably Lead Belly.

The most glaring omission is West African musicians like Ali Farka Touré and Youssou N'Dour.

It's kind of a bad joke to choose Kanye to represent hip hop.

>no chuck berry
You fucked up, retard.

Mentioning artists like Art Blakey or Sun Ra over Charlie Parker or Louis Armstrong is indicative of a big gap in your knowledge of the genre.

It's not customary to mention here, but you're right. I've spent the last couple years getting deep into bebop, but I haven't ventured far beyond that genre in jazz (50s to 70s), with the exception of Django Reinhardt