/prod/ - Music Production General

Post the tracks you're working on, discuss general music production.

Remember to use:
>clyp.it for WIPs
>soundcloud for completed tracks

Stuff:
>Pastebin - Links, books, videos, articles and stuff
pastebin.com/pYGCLu6q

>/prod/ wiki - looking for contributors
mu-sic-production.wikia.com/wiki/Sup Forumssic_Production_Wiki

>LEARNING RESOURCES

(Obligatory mixing course)
>The Art of Mixing by David Gibson
youtu.be/TEjOdqZFvhY

(Obligatory synthesis course + additional related videos)
>Intro to Synthesis by New York School of Synthesis
youtu.be/atvtBE6t48M

YouTube channels that you should subscribe to:

>Point Blank Music School
youtube.com/channel/UCIWNozFjO8yVdJFsGKVmPgg

>Pensado's Place
youtube.com/user/PensadosPlace

>SeamlessR (in-depth music production and sound design tutorials, based on FL Studio)
youtube.com/user/SeamlessR

>BusyWorksBeats (same as above, a lot of good new content coming)
youtube.com/user/busyworksbeats

>ADSR Music Production Tutorials
youtube.com/channel/UCf5UKh_cj2_5pUomhyswWYQ

>Justin Omoi
youtube.com/channel/UCMnmXvv9JHJPsrrob-gEn5A

>WarBeats
youtube.com/user/nfxbeats/videos

>Samori Coles (not many videos, but a few good ones on compression and EQ)
youtube.com/user/homestudiotutor/videos

>Modern Mixing
youtube.com/user/ModernMixing/videos

>Image Line Tutorials (for FL Studio users)
youtube.com/user/imageline/playlists

PREVIOUS THREAD:

Other urls found in this thread:

soundcloud.com/paisan91/athenas-sword
clyp.it/hx2zdipl
clyp.it/akml4o1b
clyp.it/t0vzzdwy
clyp.it/wdttgnde
soundcloud.com/vildarosor/jacob
clyp.it/cnin2kgl
youtube.com/watch?v=CyidwgXM1kE
clyp.it/c1hbc1sr
clyp.it/3nxeoqse
m.soundcloud.com/thirdkarhan/third-karhan-skin
clyp.it/zw10ph0d
youtube.com/watch?v=UN0ywAshRF0
soundcloud.com/wernervitti/dr-dre-n-trent-v3/s-PRbb9
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

soundcloud.com/paisan91/athenas-sword

Can someone please give me a fairly detailed explanation on how this kick was EQ'd / made? I assume it's just a low and high pass filter, but it seems like there's more to it?

ty

clyp.it/hx2zdipl

Vocals are very rough, just a placeholder until I rerecord them (same for the mbira/vibes)
Any advice on the mix would be much appreciated, I feel like everything's in the right place at least, but I can't really be objective

Can anyone comment on my mixdown?
clyp.it/akml4o1b

Stress levels because of my music are off the charts, it is becoming unhealthy.

And the most pathetic thing is that a part of it is because I don't get enough (You)'s on /prod/. It's probably because it's not lo-fi/hip-hop/EDM so people don't care or know what to say, but it sucks.

>a part of it is because I don't get enough (You)'s on /prod/
oh jesus PLEASE stopping taking this place that seriously

It's not about that, but just seeing that not many people notice my stuff or care to say something about it, is what bothers me the most. I'm a retard.

Oh, and just to say that I think this place even has pretty low standards, so if I (or anybody else) can't stand out, it says something. I'm nowhere near to posting anything on some reddit community, I'd probably get rekt even with music that got complimented here. This is, like, first step for me, and I've been here for 3 years.

>so if I (or anybody else) can't stand out, it says something
it says that people here don't care about your music, which is once again, why you should stop taking this place so seriously. go get the opinion of people who actually matter before you start feeling down about people's opinions of your music

bump

Yeah this place is the equivalent to showing your neighbor you hardly know your music, it's not really where people are "discovered" so don't stress out about it

bump

Just a rough cut, some clipping I know

clyp.it/t0vzzdwy

clyp.it/wdttgnde
Small peice for chamber ensamble, want last minute criques before being performed live in May

soundcloud.com/vildarosor/jacob

Currently working on this one, needs some more mastering and after that im set.

wherever you live, you need to meet real actual, live people for more feedback on your stuff. sure, internet feedback is great because it's anonymous, but you won't get to know the person who's listening (their tastes, their music knowledge) unless you have a conversation with them about music irl

Lol

What PC are you people recording shit on. My Mac is getting kinda slow and trying to look to cop a good/affordable PC with the right specs.

For example: Are thinkpads good? I hear their soundcards are shit.

(Not shown studio monitors)

>Are thinkpads good? I hear their soundcards are shit
there are good ones, but like anything else it depends on the specs... also just buy an interface instead of letting soundcards influence your computer choice

also, thoughts on the electribe sampler vs the mpc1000? i've thought about both at different points in time and still do occasionally.

want do you think of mono analog synths

>post your work a few times
>nobody ever responds

>see a new /prod/ thread is up
>post song asap to get feedback even though it's not ready
>manage to be the second reply
>still no (You)s to my shitty embryonic tune

I feel like I've embarrassed myself

are waves plugins easy to find cracked?

clyp.it/cnin2kgl

Do I have something lads or is it too cheezy?
Could only use headphones btw :(

Samefag until someone else replies
Duh

I am immune to cheese, however there isn't much happening
0:20 seconds of nothing followed by loops

Personally I never listen, let alone comment, on anything posted without a genre description.

Personally I never listen, let alone comment, on anything posted

i stopped at the synth line because i thought it's 2 cheesy

what do i do if i have a tape recorder that i want to record with but i also want to treat the material and add samples digitally. I don't know a lot about these things which should show

I'm not going to be only talking about your song, but why is did you make it so predictable?
It's always a loop of drums, then comes in a synthesizer and sometimes some memes thrown on top to break the monotony. The entire song is actually maybe 20 seconds of OC and all the other stuff it's just different permutations of it, and I don't mean variations of the same melody, it's entire loops rearranged in different ways. Basically pop music, but made by an amateur.
Why? I think the invention of the synthesizer is a mixed blessing, people focus on the sound instead of the notes. And I don't think that's how it should be, it should be pen and paper, visualizing in your head, and then interpretation in your favorite DAW. Of course that would be just a rule of thumb, but one that I think nearly none of electronic music produces even know about. That's why they're "producers" and not "composers" I guess.

>and all the other stuff it's just different permutations of it
That's the great thing about it. A listener doesn't actually have to follow along, because they know what's coming!

Also I wouldn't call that a 'song', I was focused more on the sound design part. Like making that kick and snare from some 60's jazz sample, and seeing what the synth shits out. If it was a song it'd have at least 10 more seconds of OC

>they know what's coming!

so why would they keep listening

Also wanted to add that as an amateur, that's what I'm better off doing. I can start putting myself my tracks when I'm done learning the ropes - making loops and boops

>A listener doesn't actually have to follow along, because they know what's coming!
>This is a good thing!

to bop their head or listen to sikk rhymes

arbitrary judgement

Richard DJames didn't start with druqks

>learning the ropes - making loops and boops

Sure, you have to know the basics but at some point it isn't useful anymore. You learn new things when you challenge yourself, and any eventual lack of basic knowledge will become immediately apparent - you'll pick it up along the way.
Anyway, do you want to make art or just "sikk beats" or maybe just masturbate to the thought that you're a "musician"? I'd set myself a goal of putting out an EP or something, that you'd be proud of at least.

My path to making art is sikk beatz. I learn more new things (basic knowledge) by making that, rather than trying anything else - I think trying to fit in pushes your boundaries more.
Yeah, an EP is a good goal.

>trying to fit in pushes your boundaries more.

I didn't mean moral boundaries, I meant more advanced tasks...

That's what I meant too lmao..

youtube.com/watch?v=CyidwgXM1kE

new hip hop instrumental

clyp.it/c1hbc1sr

How can I improve this mix/arrangement?

clyp.it/3nxeoqse

I'm going for that cheesy old-school butt rock vibe

spent a long time on this one rate please

turn volume to 0%

go line-out of the tape recorder into an audio interface and record it into a DAW

Yes, the newest ones are all available

wow this is pretty good my man

thanks

Probably the greatest clyp to ever grace /prod/.

When does the album release?

absolute plebs, I'm outta here

th-thanks

like september 2001

frick you

On further thought I think you're right. I want 2 make music like arca

I like this, it's nice.

Really improved sound for this one m.soundcloud.com/thirdkarhan/third-karhan-skin

Thoughts?

clyp.it/zw10ph0d

When I posted "cheesy rock" I immediately got trashed because of the "too used chord progression":

Fuck everyone here.

>want to make acid house album one day
>folk album the next
>the next day synth pop
>and the next an ambient album

what do I do about this?

>soundcloud for completed tracks

RIP /prod/

Pick one and concentrate on it till its done. You aren't going to do any of them if you succumb to choice paralysis.

I've been looking ever since his album dropped for the samples used for the percussion!!

This is as close as i've ever gotten. For the love of god, where are those wooden block and perc samples from? What sample pack?!

youtube.com/watch?v=UN0ywAshRF0

synthpop-influenced acid folk house

>what do I do about this?
music?

What's the best drum pad midi controller which is affordable? Any of the akai mpd series?

I just wanna play in drums and hi hats nicely through ableton. Kick and snare is fine thru my midi keyboard but hi hats just seems...wrong.
Here's a track I finished recently
All drumz errythang
soundcloud.com/wernervitti/dr-dre-n-trent-v3/s-PRbb9

I'm interested too now. Sounds like wood-block stuff. Have you checked in the south african native instruments plugin?

>Any of the akai mpd series?

Maybe the newer model is better but the old series are just not sensitive enough without modification, there's a big gap between the sensor and the bottom of the pads.

I use a Quneo and I'm very happy with it. Maschine is probably the best but is more expensive.