Making a 2D MMORPG

>Making a 2D MMORPG
Anybody interested?
Answering all questions
Posting development stream link if enough interest

FAQ:
>What game is this?
It's called Old World and it's still in development. It's a 2d fantasy online RPG combining my favorite features from my favorite games as well as my own ideas.

>What will it cost?
It'll be free on steam and iOS app store.

>Where can I play it?
You can't yet. But sometimes I release test clients that you can download on the stream.

Why not Android ? 3x the user base. Probably even more on Sup Forums

is this a screenshot
more detail

Yes, it's a screemshot.
What details do you want to know/are you interested in?

honestly anything
setting,how long have you been working onit
your experience in GM

The setting is a medieval world on an alternate earth parallell to our earth that serves as the afterlife to our own planet. You died and you went to the afterlife, and now you have to survive there, ironically.

Also, a couple of months and not sure what you mean by GM

game making

Honestly, It's pretty fun. It's a free-time project and since i don't have the time or experience to write my own netcode I found a perfect engine that suits my needs (Intersect). It's a to-be open source ORPG engine running on C# XNA/Monogame library so it's perfect for me since i code in C#.

Do you make your own sprites and graphics OP?

Can I request an enemy?

are you guys still trying to make this happen? you came here like 3-4 months ago, you can easily hack this game with cheat engine

Also, I'm thinking about getting into game making but for the fun of it, not aiming towards anything out of the ordinary... that being said, how hard would it be for me to code an isometric 2D game where you use WASD keys to move around? How much learning would I need in order to make something as simple as that? IF I was using C++ for example

go away

Yeah. I've made all of them. I've been improving a lot and am actively re-doing graphics and choosing better colors.

>pic related, werewolf boss i made yesterday

Sure, but I might not make it, but there's always a chance.

No, you can't.

I don't even know how isometry works in the first place because I am retarded, but basic controls on a grid would be really easy. I'd start off learning basic object oriented programming languages like C# or Java before moving on to C++ for a smoother learning curve.

i was one of the pre-pre-pre-prealpha players and i used cheat engine to speed up my game

I'm interested

Okay, the enemy is a mushroom, just a mushroom, it doesn't do anything because it's a fucking mushroom. Pretty much a high health enemy that can't be killed because someone decided to cheat.

What favorite games? Is it by chance Ultima Online? Because that image has some similarities to it.

do we get a linux client comrade?

sounds pretty cool, I'm interested. IOS needs more MMORPG games.

What I meant by isometric is basically what you're doing except I'd want to rotate my objects to look like pic related

But I think is basically what you are doing here except it's illustrated in a slightly different way

Check my most recent pic :P

looks cool when will it be out?

yeah, but that was months ago. it doesn't work anymore. If you speedhack, you just teleport back to where you are supposed to be

there's free-for-all PVP everywhere except in safe zones like towns, i guess that's a feature too. I never really played UO so yeah.

Yup. I'm not the engine developer but it's already been successfully ported to OSX and Linux. All that remains is mobile once source comes out and i make the game fully playable by clicking/tapping only.

Already got a mushroom enemy mate :^)

Alpha should be out in Q1 2017

never because this niggas dont know how to make games, just check out their twitch
twitch-tv/oldworldrpg

I know what isometry is, I just don't know how it would work on a grid.

iOS ? what the fuck Op ..make it on android and im down

>leddit

It depends on how hard it is to maintain all of these multi platform ports.

get cancer :P

you are missing out; thats all i know!

you tried

>wii
>reddit
>cancer memes

could this get worse? stay tuned on twitch!

/oldworldrpg

sorry for not exclusively browsing your underground sekret club called Sup Forums

Add in an enemy like this OP, I just drew him so don't worry it's OC

Wanna watch a blonde guy making stupid sprites, while listening to wii tracks?

We got you covered!

/oldworldrpg

what kind of Easter eggs will you include? Nothing like locations and direct details. But what kind of fun secrets are there?

h-how do you know i'm blonde

Yesterday I was animating the werewolf boss i posted before, but the walking cycle made him look like he was dancing, so I made it into an animation and put him in a different room accessible by a hidden portal. I call it the dancing werewolves room. There's some chests in there containing gold too and some fun dialogue. Expect to see more fun easter eggs

Making some sprites, what do you think of this one?

Does OP have Kik so we can talk about this?

No, but there's a discord channel for the game.

i hate u

Awesome, how will combat work? is it turn based or will be more of a live combat system. Also will you level up and if so what kind of character customization do you expect to have?

Okay sick, thanks mate

i bet you liked that sprite, didn't you?
Also don't forget to feed your dog

:^)

OP, how do we talk outside of Sup Forums,cuz this bread is gonna 404 at some point. Link the discourse?

discord.gg/RDzUd
here you go

thanks, i won't

combat will be live action like most MMORPGs, but borrows more from MOBA style games whereas you will only be able to have 5 abilities at once. character customization in terms of aesthetics will be hair/hair color/skin color/eye color and in terms of gameplay you'll be able to try any character build as you can max one and a half stats at max level. you can reset your stats in towns for free at any time to try different builds. equipment will give stat boosts in a MOBA-esque fashion.

not op but couldn't we start a steam chat?

That sounds really awesome I can't wait to play it. Is the game open world or location based like the mario games?

Also, for the people that want to playtest the latest client build, here's the link:

>pu()sh/tr1Yd/b520b4ca53.zip
remove () and replace with a dot.

>pic related, tutorial island. jagex don't sue

open world themepark with certain areas dedicated to sandbox elements like building bases

thanks, also clean your glasses, they look dirty
Would you mind in me coming to Sweden to meet you? I wanna see your Shiba Inu

:D

what do we play it on?

the fuck u talking about boi my glasses are clean
and i don't have a shiba inu
fuck off doggo

That client is for Windows only.

Would you mind checking this sprite? It's a giraffe but you could add it to the game right?

You've been working on this for like 5 years. Time to pack it in and move on with your life.

Then make it a box with the same concept.

October 2016 - January 2017 doesn't translate into 5 years mate, and i fucking wish i had because that would mean the game would be beyond done.

Already have barrels with the same concept

So you have a cheat enemy that you can't escape from just because you cheated?

>Pretty much a high health enemy that can't be killed because someone decided to cheat.
Missed this part, what exactly do you mean by this?

If someone decides to cheat you are locked into a battle to where the only escape is the deletion of your character... Or something.

Oh i see.
Nah, I have a jail where players can abuse rule breakers and cheaters by killing them repeatedly where they're helpless as long as they're online.

Ah, sounds cool, What is the base concept of the prison?

single player, multiplayer, or both?

How do you make it?
Because I'm thinking about buying "RPG maker" to make a game too. Just don't know if that software is worth it's price

read OP FAQ
it's an MMORPG

Is there character customization?

but will there be an option to not play with other people. I'm asking because I hate dealing with other people while I play games online.

Oh. No, sorry. It's a virtual space where players can interact with each other. The game will be playable to maximum level and full gear as a solo player. You can turn off chat if you want, but players will still be able to player-kill you.

Not yet, but there will be.

RPG Maker is for offline role-playing games. This game uses the Intersec ORPG engine which is free and can be downloaded on ascensiongamedev forums. Go google it. :^)

in that case do you lose items upon death and how does player looting work?

Open world PVP doesn't make you lose items upon death. Open world PVP is simply to contest popular areas such as mining, fishing, woodcutting spots or if someone is pissing you off.

There will be a separate arena for player looting.
Killing people in open world has a murderer status penalty where you have to avoid guards and can't go in town for 15 minutes, or you get thrown in jail for a while.

Thank you, I'll google it.
I wish you good luck and success

I just really have to know, will there be micro-transactions?

Actually working on a 2D MMORPG in Java myself atm. I currently struggle a lot with creating the option to chat with NPCs. The basics of engine work is there (distance checking & buttonpressed checking), but could you tell me a bit about how you went and did the GUI + chat system for NPCs? Looks nice btw!

There will be an option to pay for VIP which gives you a shop with extra cosmetics, a few more areas and quality of life stuff.

No pay2win shit though.

GREAT!

I really really want a map that is literally giving the player the finger

How does the combat system works?
Is it a zelda like? only vertical and horizontal movements possible?
Or more like Ragnarok Online? with AoE, single target spells, moving "diagonal", etc?

will there be a gauntlet/trial area? like just increasing difficulty for greater rewards?

It works on a grid system like Tibia, combat is optimized to fit a grid style game with mostly targeted abilities. No, diagonal movement is not possible. There will be all of those spells you described, including projectile spells but keeping those to a minimum since hitting projectiles on a grid movement system can be hard and clunky.

>It'll be free on steam
Good for you that you made a game. I would encourage anyone to go ahead and do that if they want to. But jesus christ, why the fuck do you think it is appropriate to spam steam with this bullshit? Just stop.

looks like shit and sounds utterly boring, stop what your doing and kys faggot

He actually fucking shows his skype while streaming.. Nice