How old were you when you realized that Bruce Springsteen is the epitome of "epic"...

how old were you when you realized that Bruce Springsteen is the epitome of "epic". After Bob Dylan and before the Ramones, he was one of the few musicians capable of transforming the mood of an entire generation into a "sound". If the rules to judge the significance of an artist are that a) he be indifferent to fads and trends; b) that his lyrics dig deep into his era and resonate with the souls of millions of people; c) that each record be, de facto, a concept album; d) that each song send shivers down the spine even without a catchy melody; then Springsteen is one of the greatest of all times.
Musically, Springsteen coined the model of the singer-songwriter of the 1980s, bridging the gap between the bluesman of the 1930s, the black shouter of the 1940s, the rocker of the 1950s, the folk-singer of the 1960s, the punk of the 1970s.
In many ways, Springsteen was the true heir to Woody Guthrie (Bob Dylan never was a true populist). He sang about the dreams and the fears of ordinary white Americans. But he was also the heir to the blues, in an era in which the black nation was abandoning it for dance music.
Over the years, Springsteen grew up to become the eloquent spokesman of middle-class and blue-collar America. His declamations combine populist demagogy, patriotic passion and prophetic vision in a way that is quintessentially American. The alienated enthusiasm of his early days mutated first into a nostalgic glorification of the past and eventually into resigned grief. Dreams turned into memories, and exuberance turned into frustration. As the promised land faded away, Springsteen led the exodus from the international utopias to the virtues of ordinary people.

Springsteen conveyed all of this in energetic and intense performances that changed the whole meaning of the word "concert". His concert is a collective sacrificial ceremony that pours naked life into artistic form. Whether shouting or whispering, Springsteen "was" the voice of millions of American for which the American dream never materialized. His songs are the national anthems of that submerged nation. The stylistic fusion of The Wild The Innocent And The E Street Shuffle (1973), recalled both Van Morrison and Taj Mahal, while Born To Run (1975) introduced his torrential "wall of sound". The River (1980) summed everything up: pathos, epos and eros. Populist lyrics, granitic group sound, tender confessions, catchy refrains, hard-rock riffs, massive boogie grooves, rock'n'roll spasms, acoustic ballads: Springsteen and his band were the ultimate manufacturers of good vibrations. Sorrow and pessimism prevailed on subsequent albums (on which Springsteen frequently preferred the acoustic format), with the notable exception of Born In The USA (1984), another super-charged set of anthemic songs. ?

it took me until about 22

If you don't like Bruce Springsteen, then FUCK YOU

I was about 18

too bad he's a dirty Hillary shill

his music has probably given more solace to the working class trump base than any other musician in history. doesn't that count for something?

Is this bait, or did you genuinely think no one would notice you just copy and pasted the Italian guys review? I bet you coincidently think the River is his best album as well.

I've always been really fond of Bruce, seen him live twice. His live shows are super fun but the musicianship is usually very shallow. His albums are far better.

scaruffiposting is a time-honored Sup Forums tradition and my personal favorite is born to run. what's yours?

Fuck no. His music is decent but yea he does not speak to the Trump base

Ik its a meme, but born to run is my favorite album of all time so I can't help but join in

That's literally wrong

you're delusional if you think that. springsteen is a god to many of the rustbelt types who came out in support of trump. obviously bruce's political affiliation differs, but many trump supporters grew up identifying with his music.

I knew I had seen that cover somewhere before

t. Has never listend to Bruce Springsteen

our generation's Bruce Springsteen

mac demarco is shit

I can't wait for that living meme to die

hmm

Mac was more inspired by hosono house when he made the cover to 2

>The River: 8.5/10
>2: 6/10

I am just now realizing this. Just turned off Cadillac ranch. 22

Until I was 23

It really depresses me that people know this from the top of their heads

>"Oh cool, a Bruce thread!"
>Arguing about Trump and shitposting and Mac De-meme-o

k

favorite river track?

jackson cage here

I only know it because I was getting into YMO at the time I started listening to mac, I SWEAR

quick bro here's your chance to turn it into a more productive thread hurry!

roulette

hungry heart is just too infectious, but i think the eponymous track reaches the album's emotional height.

entry-level answers but fuck you they're still great

I prefer "Darkness"

Mix/master job on the river is awful. The version of the songs mixed on an analog console on the single album slated for 1979 release are much better.

I really like Two Hearts, but Independence Day and the title track are tied for second.

>Ties That Bind third verse key change

People always give me shit when I say this is my favorite Springsteen album and that Darkness is better because it's a darker and angrier album, but you know what? I listen to enough depressive shit as it is, I want at least a glimmer of hope in my music every once in a while.

Really though, why is The River scaruffi's favorite bruce album? I never understood why he rates it so much higher than the other albums. Why would he rate the river an 8.5 and then give darkness a 6?

>THE TIES THAT BIYIYIYIYIYIYIYIYIYIYIYIND

the songwriting and production on born to run are fucking immaculate

I wouldn't say Darkness is especially depressive. Listen to your heart's content

This is easily his best album. It has has two best tracks, Thunder Road and Born to Run. Then again I drop him right after Nebraska.

Ties That Bind familia

the correct way to drop broooce is after tunnel of love, and then occasionally checking in every once in a while

>Trump is helping the working class
>the working class is mostly white

SHHHHHHHHHHHUUUUU-- be quiet

How the fuck is this album still so overlooked despite hipsters embracing Bruce?

The dude took all of his personal demons and trials and tribulations and focused all of them into a cohesive album of melancholy love songs utilizing the sleek sterile 80's synth sound to accent the emptiness. Literally 808's & Heartbreak two decades earlier.

it's a cult classic, not that overlooked imo

still
>dat tougher than the rest
>dat walk like a man
>dat brilliant disguise
>dat one step up
>dat valetine's day

might be his overall best work

Springsteen is a genius in my opinion, one of the unquestionable greats.

But Scaruffi is a fucking idiot if he think's The River is Springsteen's best album. Every thing he says about it would be more applicable to Born in the U.S.A.

Love hungry heart, but
>ain't nobody like to be alone
Uh...

I forgot about tunnel of love. It's pretty good. Just think Born in the USA is trash

>ywn hear the Ramones record Hungry Heart in the style of End of the Century with Spector producing the way Bruce intended

The Ramones suck anyways

Nah friend, it is in fact you that sucks.

I'm a Trump voter living in suburban Texas, and I still have to agree that Springsteen is a true spokesman of the working class.

Now, Tom Waits (who I think I might prefer just a bit more), is like the nighttime inverted version of Springsteen. He's the spokesman for the graveyard shift, whereas Springsteen is the spokesman of 9-to-5.

Bruce was apparently a huge early punk fan just as a raw expression of rock. He wrote songs for Ramones and Patti Smith and was a close pal of Joe Strummer.

Is there any noticeable punk influence in Bruce's stuff? The argument could be made for stripped down production on Darkness but that's just naturally where you'd go after the bombast of Born to Run. Candy's Room is kinda punk though.

Nebraska was really influenced by the band suicide, I think.

Bruce Springsteen sucks balls. I don't think there's ever been a more overrated musician.

Pretty sure just the melody of State Trooper and not much else.

Thank you for your input

Nobody told me that The Rising was so fucking good

It's pretty good. Definitely his best since Ghost of Tom Joad. City of Ruins actually has that classic Bruce feel.

Independence Day

Darkness is one of the worst of his good albums.

Tunnel of Love got forgotten because it had no iconic songs and no power to its sound, the sales and 3 top 20 songs were a total lie resulting from his long string of success that hadn't yet faded.

>no iconic songs

Tougher Than the Rest, Tunnel of Love, Brilliant Disguise

>City of Ruins

Despite being the most 9/11 song in history this was written and recorded before 9/11.

Asbury Park was an inside job.

How is this not required essential listening on every list?

so underrated

nebraska is a better analog to 808s imo, especially given born in the USA

honestly, it's not that cohesive of a live album. doing one for each tour would have been better

>not that cohesive of a live album

What does this even mean?