Reviews so far are really good. Ignoring him as a person, what are your thoughts on this album?

Reviews so far are really good. Ignoring him as a person, what are your thoughts on this album?

Other urls found in this thread:

genius.com/Vampire-weekend-ya-hey-lyrics
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Haven't given it a listen yet. I'm expecting it to be a bit too over-the-top tongue-in-cheek style, and not in the good way that Foxygen's new album was. The lyrical content on FJM's last album was enjoyable, but I can see how his trajectory might take things to a try-hard level on this new one.

>dude religion sucks lmao how has no one thought of this before
>dude both sides are dumb lol why am I so much better than everyone else

whoever told Josh he was a "serious thinker" needs to be publicly flogged

still lookn for waldo

It's ok. He's got a witty personality but it feels like he took the musical and lyrical ideas of "Imagine" and stretched it to be an album.

I'm waiting for my vinyl to show up to hear the whole thing, but I have high expectations.
>Ignoring him as a person
I first heard his music without any clue about the persona, and instantly loved it. People put far too much emphasis on so many things completely external to the music, even though that's all that matters.

Far from the gist of it, and I haven't even heard the whole album yet.

I have the same issue as If you're going to make a political and intellectual statement, you have to actually be intelligent first and foremost.

On a slightly off topic note, i hate the art style of the album cover cause it reminds me of a Super Jail ripoff

Yeah, he sure did give it a good STRETCH

This, for someone who usually seems so self aware it's amazing how he decided to be so trite. He's a great lyricist and songwriter nonetheless, but the religion sucks stuff is cringe inducing.

Some nice arrangements, but overall I have to agree with and and Sometimes he writes some wonderful lyrics, but then other times he's just dropping shit that cringey 16 year olds would say after watching 2 richard dawkins videos or something

You can do that for half an hour, but not 75 minutes

I agree for the most part, but I take into consideration that he spent so many years of his life surrounded and indoctrinated by fundamentalists or something. Makes it a serious issue for him, even if the rest of us are mostly past that shit.

it's alright, like others have said, there are some edgy political messages that are easily ignored. Leaving L.A. is waaayyy too long though and tedious.

Lyrics are absolute shit, rest of the album's good

fuck you, dude. there's 70 minutes of interesting writing on this album, and only 2 fucking lines on one song of the entire album makes you say "he's a great lyricist but come on with this religion sucks shit"

"they worship themselves yet they're totally obsessed with risen zombies, celestial virgins, magic tricks, and these ridiculous outfits. and they get terribly upset when you question their secret texts written by woman hating epileptics"

this isn't even "religion sucks" it's a short critical analysis and 'women hating epileptics" is actually pretty clever.

Sup Forums. where religion is only talked about in one song for two lines but it pisses off enough faggots for that to become their entire criticism on the full length LP

Doesn't the album come out on the 7th? How have you all heard it already?

>'women hating epileptics" is actually pretty clever.

reddit please go

The full album in high quality leaked months ago

february i think

Honeybear was fantastic, but this was overlong and pretty one-dimensional imo.

>'women hating epileptics" is actually pretty clever
reductio ad absurdum isn't lyrically clever. most of this album isn't lyrically clever and none of it warrants these absurd track lengths and a 70 minute length.

reddit wouldn't even understand why that's clever

branding idiot televangelists who dance and shake around like they've got the spirit of jesus in them 'epileptics' isn't "reductio ad absurdum" you dense fuck, it's just an analogy

I don't even care about the religion lyrics, it's mostly the "ugh why is everyone so stupid!!!" sort of stuff.

He can write some great lyrics, and they're littered all over the place, it's just that the album is over an hour long, extremely one dimensional, and the good lyrics are peppered too scarcely

It's not awful, but not as good as Honeybear

>thinking it's a reference to televangelists
good lord dude

He's butt hurt about a bunch of geriatrics, it's just strikes me as him having some sort of insecurity

Most my favorite albums are over an hour long, so I guess I'm biased, but I don't understand how an album full of love songs for his wife is somehow LESS one-dimensional than this project? Which scope seems bigger and bigger with each track? Like he starts with history, evolution, and modern technology and entertainment and then ends with mortality, fear, and existentialism. And hits every emotional high note in between. Calling this 1-Dimensional compared to Honeybear, which was literally created with 1 theme in mind, seems ridiculous.

You're a literal fucking moron

During this line in the video there's an actual clip of televangelist

ITS ONE OF THE MOST HEAVYHANDED MESSAGES IN THE SONG/ VIDEO

>being this fucking dense
there's televangelists shaking like epileptics in the official music video for that song

it's not a reference to televangelists but televangelists represent what he's talking about, which is just people who think they've got the energy of the Lord channeling right through them

>they get terribly upset when you question their secret texts written by woman hating epileptics
He's talking about prophets from the Bible and the Quran. Don't talk shit if you're gonna argue without knowing what you're talking about.

There's nothing wrong with albums 1hr+, it's just that I felt there was no reason to go so long on this album. I got bored of it, and once you hit that point it's difficult to come back.

I haven't see the video, I assumed based on context that he was referring to the alleged connection between temporal lobe epilepsy and religious experience
Congrats, you proved that he's even less intelligent and informed than I thought

(Spoiler: televangelists didn't write the "sacred texts")

He's not butthurt about geriatrics

religion is a real thing, it's effect on society is real

there really is shit in the bible about how women can't have authority over men

him bringing it up isn't really about him or his insecurities, he's just analyzing and piecing apart our evolution as a society.

it's an analogy... i didn't mean that TV predated the bible... i just meant it's all the same. It's christians, muslims, whoever, that basically reach a state of ecstasy during worship and they dance and shake and shit

literally hopsin fan-level praise
>how can songs about drugs, guns, hoes, or jewelry be as good as someone who RIPS the mic while talking about real issues like whether the person who invented college went to college

Televangelists are the same as the people he's branding as 'epileptics'

Televangelists are just a modern example of what's existed for fucking centuries which is religious nuts who go into a euphoric fucking state while preaching their sermon or whatever and move their bodies and wave their arms like they are fucking epileptics

Yeah, why have a multifaceted examination of love in the context of modern society and his own life when you can make a whole bunch of surface-level critiques you got from r/atheism and John Lennon?

4 chan assholes are so excited to pull out their meta music analogies

I didn't even praise the album I just said how can it be less one dimensional than an album of love songs if it covers so many topics

multifaceted examination of love in the context of modern society

Wow, that's enough Internet for today bud. Can you come out from your own asshole?

he's a fedora in human form

@ me if you agree!

Dude, what?

That's so sad that you know enough about Hospin to even conceive of these struggle metaphors

>more subjects=better
You have zero understanding of philosophical depth
You've probably also never been in love, which is not surprising

I adore this album

This is like saying Manchester by the Sea is shitty because it's just:

>death lmao

your close. he's referencing prophets visions and saying that their spiritual visions were epileptic episode. this a commonly said thing about Muhammad and St. Paul.

That's not what he's talking about in that line. He's literally talking about the people that that wrote the texts.

>multifaceted examination
what he's saying is that ILYHB explores modern love thoroughly and from several angles where as PC only scratches the surface on it's topics aka it's one dimmensional

I preordered it. I'm going to enjoy it. Sup Forums is welcome to condemn Tillman for the same pretentious attitude they have.

More like saying Requiem for a Dream is just

>drugs lmao

Which it is

Hi.

non clever guy here

Care to explain what makes it clever? Cool if not. Thanks :)

>ittAotS is just Anne Frank and horns lmao

Not entirely. Requiem for a Dream was also about letting relationships break down, be they familial or romantic or friendships (yes, they show it happening w drugs, but anything that consumes someone could be put in its place), and also how anything can become a 'drug'. For Sarah, she let even hope become a sort of drug. Its about addiction and craving as much as it is actual drugs.

Yes, but the film is good. Analyzing both pieces with that perspective is beyond retarded.

It is

Okay this is true

you are the worst person on the planet

i think Honeybear is terrible, but I really like this.

great if not a little too """all knowing""" lyrics

I don't mean to be a jackass, but what about this do you like more than ILYHB?

# of subjects = quality wasn't my argument, it was yours. You called ILYHB a better album because it was less one-dimensional. that means you drew the parallel between # of subjects and quality.

When I tried to respond all you did was twist my words into yours

I keep seeing this criticism but I don't get it. This is just how he sees things, and he doesn't really offer any solutions or anything. He doesn't need to follow each line with "IMO" for that to be clear to me.

that's not fair, PC doesn't only scratch the surface. it's almost incomparable to HB

all of the things he talks about connect and build off each other. it's not scratching the surface, it's like constructing a thesis. the more examples and different info you bring into the picture, the better the thesis.

i didn't like the electronic experiments, and i'm not as interested in tongue in cheek lyrics about love and millennials as i am in long-winded societal takedowns and well, complaints about millennials. i understand that's a pretentious, kinda cringey thing to say, but it's the truth, for me.

also i feel like piano ballads fit his voice a lot better than indie folk

no i know, i agree with you, that's why i'm able to like it so much. i put that as more of a disclaimer, like i understand why people wouldn't like that

>You called ILYHB a better album because it was less one-dimensional. that means you drew the parallel between # of subjects and quality.
Not him but that's not what one dimensional means. He's saying that ILYHB explores the one topic, modern love, from a multifaceted perspective. He's saying that PC never really digs into it's themes even though it has more of them.
his bare-bones thesis, if i'm interpreting it right, is that life is absurd. I've gathered this from the album and recent interviews. the issue is that he never dives into it. he lists things about life that absurd, religion, politics, survival, but he never goes any further than just making observations. This isn't helped by how literal his lyrics are in some tracks that could use some ambiguity to not sound as heavy handed.

>also i feel like piano ballads fit his voice a lot better than indie folk
haha. i think that's where we probably differ the most. i prefer the indie folk schtick and think the piano ballads sound bad. to each their own though. glad you like it.

'life is absurd' is a really simple interpretation, you've got balls to condense 70 minutes into 3 words, and i respect that

but can you please explain how he's not just making observations about love and his marriage in ILYHB? how does he take it further?

I think you're seriously missing my 'thesis' point and the point of this album.

It's not just him listing observations arbitrarily. Each observation fits together like in an equation, which when listened to together sort of beautifully encapsulate society.

To dissect this album into it's topics separately as you did is a disservice. Also you only wrote religion, politics, and survival which is really only the first song. Because he goes on to talk about history, death, the future as it exists in his mind, his childhood, existentialism, etc.

>you know enough about Hospin
fucking newfag, it's just the unkle adams and DID memes strung together
>>>/reddit/

>life is absurd' is a really simple interpretation, you've got balls to condense 70 minutes into 3 words, and i respect that
unironically thanks.

With the exception of not so good tracks like Bored in the USA, a lot of them explore different aspects of modern relationships. he explores communicating and flirting over texts, which he would consider the least natural way to communicate. he goes over specific situations such as the day him and his wife met. he has a track about his wedding day and how even after all we know of marriage and it's failures he still wants this. he compares a day of him getting harassed by women to a day of his wife getting harassed by men. it all ties to theme of being a millennial trying to make love work.

>he's got a witty personality

no he doesn't

he's such a fucking tryhard, he wants to be seen so badly as some epic self aware DFW and he's just a retarded vacant hipster trust fund kiddie

dude he's just a guy with a guitar who makes music

you take him and yourself way too seriously

haha fair enough. hey at least you got honeybear!! lol

I'd gladly take being a newfag if it means I'm not a raging asshole who has a deep encylopedic knowledge of memes to the point where you can string them together with random artists like hospin to concoct the perfect forum diss

>Also you only wrote religion, politics, and survival
>history, death, the future as it exists in his mind, his childhood, existentialism
i thought i summed it up well enough with those three topics but fair enough. while it does build up and forms his thesis, it doesn't do anything but make the observations. he offers no knew insight or creates any interesting characters or tells interesting stories. i'm not saying he has to, but then the tracks are way to long to justify it. especially since he just gives surface level examinations of the topics. it also doesn't help that i find the music incredibly dull. these are some of his weakest melodies and a waste of a man who can pull off varied vocal styles.

>random artists like hospin
Not him, but how new are you?

these songs are filled with stories, characters, and insights. the birdie he talks to that represents the american ideal of freedom. the dying man who check his news feed as he takes his final breath. misty talking to god on 'there'll be hell to pay' is a classic moment. 'things that would have been helpful to know before the revolution' is basically one long story. and yeah, he might be the main character of most of these songs.

it feels like we listened to two different albums

the music is astonishing to me. his vocal melody under that loud synth on 'magic mountain' is fucking haunting. not to mention all the crescendos on this album that just weren't there on honeybear, they give this album a lot of life and energy imo. the climax of birdie is transcendental. the horn section on total entertainment makes me dance like no song on honeybear could. and the choir harmonizing on dying man is an incredible moment that feels like a solid progression from past works. the orchestral arrangements on Leaving LA might be his musical work to date.

I meant random in the sense that it was arbitrary what musician name he used in place of Hospin

I don't like Father John Misty's music but the fact that he exists is fucking hilarious

i guess we might just like different things. i personally don't like a lot of these tracks and don't get the same satisfaction. i don't think most of the lyrics are clever and overall i don't think he's a good lyricist. maybe i'm a sap for a husband singing to his wife and the added context makes me over inflate ilyhb. But the fact that PC is almost a half an hour longer than ILYHB basically kills it for me as i lose investment somewhere in the middle making me dislike the last few tracks more than they deserve. And I love LYSF so it's not just the length.

No it's not, Hopsin is emblematic, at least memetically and fanbase-wise, of exactly the kind of 2deep4u shit he was making fun of. You're clearly a fucking newfag.

>those lyrics
cringe read a book lad

HMM OKAY DEN

its a 7/10
smoochies is his worst song to date. Leaving LA still isn't good enough the 7 minutes.

still think he did this much better on honeybear
holy shit > everything on pure comedy

Is this the result of his daily acid trips?

>secret texts written by woman hating epileptics
>woman hating = superiority complex??
>epileptics.... ancient times.... the educated few who could write.... hmmmm

yeah and?
vampire weekend did that 50x better
genius.com/Vampire-weekend-ya-hey-lyrics

I'm saying they're poorly thought out lyrics that don't really makes sense when you think about it.

yeah no shit. just . listen to any of his interviews. hes incoherent as fuck and expects everybody to be speaking the same language game as him.
you know what i mean - father john misty

I'm new to the FJM scene, but ya he seems like your typical angst fueled liberal arts college dweeb. Some nice music compositions tho.

Most FJM threads are the worst, so I appreciate some actual discussion of the music happened here. That is all.

Link?

I love this album but I completely understand why people would find him insufferable here.

People used that same criticism for ILYHB and I didn't understand that at all. That album wasn't any more or less "insufferable" than a Simon & Garfunkel album. Between Leaving LA and Total Entertainment Forever and the 70+ minute runtime, it's a valid claim. The highlights are just phenomenal though.

idope