/prod/ - Music Production general

Plugins Edition

>Production Resources:
>Pastebin - Links, books, videos, articles, tutorials and stuff
pastebin.com/pYGCLu6q

>/prod/ wiki - still looking for contributors
mu-sic-production.wikia.com
There's a severe lack of DAW descriptions in the wiki. If you're good with your tool of choice, consider writing a paragraph about it.

/prod/ IRC is up!
To join, you can go to rizon.net/chat
Choose a nick, put #/prod/ as channel. Enter!
Or you can get a lightweight desktop client here hexchat.github.io/downloads.html

Remember to use clyp.it to post your tracks/WIP: posting a clyp.it is just providing sound for a question, posting a Soundcloud link is making self-advertisement and the thread doesn't need that.

Remember to check other peoples' clyp.it links to keep the thread healthy.

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/1qveimyh
clyp.it/mlkfezsr
clyp.it/e2y4gpkh
clyp.it/n0q1nwa2
clyp.it/efj3gl2y
clyp.it/huqhrazq
clyp.it/5jvb4m2j
clyp.it/ko2rkdpl
clyp.it/mfi1h5cn
clyp.it/xvg1uvte
clyp.it/3nxeoqse
clyp.it/p4ozb4t1
clyp.it/g2a5euk5
clyp.it/mubacvka
clyp.it/bygd1uw4
clyp.it/3b3daeeh
soundcloud.com/garlandlofi/asuka
us.focusrite.com/scarlett-range
clyp.it/q2wbp0xl
youtube.com/watch?v=voiYbHNXj7E
clyp.it/1ocp3psb
clyp.it/fw3rhhnw
youtube.com/watch?v=PH18KBNnARk
soundcloud.com/h-kon-bekkevold-riksfjord/a-hval
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

just did a mixdown on my new(ish) speakers.

clyp.it/1qveimyh

Hey guys, I'm pretty much an amateur still, and I've lately been trying to imitate the sounds of other artists I like to see what I'm able to do and what I like to do.

I've been working on this Boards of Canada style track for the past few days, it's not yet finished, but I'd like someone to check it out and tell me what they think:

clyp.it/mlkfezsr

main synth is too thin imo

+it's in the same range as that pad, you could probably have one an octave lower so the track sounds more filled out... decent though.

maybe vary it some more, or have more source of modulation. vary your sends idk. it just gets too repetitive/static

uhhhh that's pretty bottom heavy honestly

you can't have everything at the front man. synths and vox are clashing

I agree with the other user
that 40Hz sine-y thing on every downbeat is way too loud compared to everything else
also use some rooms to create depth

clyp.it/e2y4gpkh

Been a long time since I made something. I feel like the 3rd set of chops was trying to do too much. And i need more drum variation

TAL-BassLine-101 is better than Lush-101 btw

Is it? I always thought the lush was better. I'd imagine the Roland one sounds the best

clyp.it/n0q1nwa2

I don't know what this even qualifies as. Chill beat maybe?

what's the greatest, most powerful most diverse synth vst

3x OSC

Sylenth easily

hi /prod/
what do you think of music like this? i'm trying to go for the knxwledge typa feel

clyp.it/efj3gl2y

If you want a free vst you can't go Wrong with Crystal to be h

Serum, Massive, Omnisphere, Reaktor, LUSH101, Nexus...

I did my best to maximize the levels on this and keep the dynamics. I did a little bit of compression on the master bus as well.
Any thoughts? I really think I'm getting better song-wise regardless of how well the mix/master sounds.

clyp.it/huqhrazq

You're definitely nailing the BOC sound.

I don't know if it's what BOC would do but I would add a kick drum alongside the sub bass at some point.

clyp.it/5jvb4m2j

Posted a vastly shittier version of this in the last thread but got no feedback. I'm like a fag with a guitar btw since some user said they'd refuse to listen to anything without being told the genre.
Any advice on the composition or the mix would be greatly appreciated

Definitely got some cool sampled melodies going here.

The third melody just doesn't conform to the rhythm as well as first two I think. Also I feel like the snare could use more high end

I respect the vocal performance, also the bells or whatever they are sound cool.

I would add in some higher guitar melodies at some point, the main melody seems to go on for the whole song without changing, which I think can work if you added some higher melodies to steal the focus away from the main guitar at some point.

Thanks, I was worried the guitar got a bit monotonous. It actually does change to a four chord melody when the vocals come in during the second half, but it's less noticeable than I had hoped.
The bells are pic related mixed in with some trash Logic vibes

Something like this?
clyp.it/ko2rkdpl

Is the mpc studio worth the money?
I'd use it as a vst in ableton to lay down drum patterns and chop up samples? Is it overkill for that?
I cant stand the swing/quantization in ableton for drums

yea... somethin like that. From like halfway to the end I like the one panned to the right. I don't have a great ear but it sounds to me like you're playing in a different key for each part, the one panned to the left, centered and to the right. they sync up at some points but for the most part it sounds off.

clyp.it/mfi1h5cn

trying to get this mix to sound good and i think i give up.

can you simulate a matrix mixer in pure data?

another attempt at mixing my house song

clyp.it/xvg1uvte

clyp.it/3nxeoqse

feedback me cucks

Ugh I've been fucking with it and it doesn't sit well in the song, makes it feel way too cluttered, distracts from the lead melody
I may just sack it and try record some elec. guitar tomorrow. Thanks for the advice user

buttcore desu, which you said in another thread was what you were going for.
Good job, it makes me want to throw up

bu-ump
embarrassing that the last thread died after like 60 posts

clyp.it/p4ozb4t1

First song with a DAW, opinions?

You realize that they have MPC swing in abelton that's exactly the same as an actual MPC?

anyone know where to get max for live 6?

no

>tfw vocal cut-let
i cant make fucking vocal cuts. they always sound so fucking cheesy, i wish i was less retarded.

for the genre it sounds fine to me.
same as above
same as above

the problem with all three tracks above is that there isn't much going on musically, that may be why you're all thinking the mix sucks, there just isn't much going musically. mix wise it all sounds fine, now just pair up those mixing skills with better songwriting.

bump

Sounds like lobby music XD Spice the melody a bit
This is POTENTIAL OR MEH ?
clyp.it/g2a5euk5

Suggestions? I'm making a meme rap group with a few friends of mine and we're trying to get some hard bangers to do live. so far I came up with this and it bangs pretty hard on the subs clyp.it/mubacvka

W I P

clyp.it/bygd1uw4

is this any good?
clyp.it/3b3daeeh

it has potential, maybe the kick needs to be turned up a bit, some more saturation on the bassline too

it's a little cheesy, but with an actual melody it might be sufficient

i kinda like it, maybe change the chords up a little more?

Nice balance overall. Clap could be louder.
Also ad more risers

>clyp.it/3b3daeeh
would buy it

>clyp.it/3b3daeeh
Its nice :)

What would you guys see as the short comings of what I just made?
soundcloud.com/garlandlofi/asuka

what's the secret to making the es2 sound good...i feel like i can't make beautiful sounds on it

Please answer

Why is it that my audio on Ableton becomes bandpassed or something when I start putting effects .

It didn't happen a couple years ago, but I think it has to do with some plug-ins

Even the audio on my music players starts getting bandpassed

What do you mean bandpassed

Like it all starts sounding in shitty sound quality

What do you think it could be?

Seems like a bug but it affects the audio of the whole computer, clearly my sound card is not up to par

Do you know a fix for this?

I spend so much time just trying to make listenable sounds, that I don't produce anything anymore. Fuck me if I won't just use stock Omnisphere sounds and Kontakt libraries.

You need an audio interface like one of the scarletts.

Can you upload on clyp?

>Fuck me if I won't just use stock Omnisphere sounds and Kontakt libraries.

Do this, you can still get into heaven if you repent for using presets

>one of the scarletts.
Please explain, I don't understand

us.focusrite.com/scarlett-range

Scarlett is popular but there are other interfaces that'll do the job fine, your computer soundcard can't handle as much as you're asking it too. Also is your computer good as in specs

Anyone has experience with Spire synth?

I mean, honestly, I have actually downloaded so many synths that I'm often surprised when I realize what I have in my library. It doesn't make much sense since I can't really use them, so I usually go with Diva or Serum.

But this one looks nice and easy to use too.

This is my computer, it's a thinkpad

What else can you advice me without having to buy anything (I'm dead broke right now)

Suck some dicks for an interface and new computer and learn to use google

clyp.it/q2wbp0xl

youtube.com/watch?v=voiYbHNXj7E

How would I go about getting that kind of vocal effect?

It's like a more advanced version of Sylenth

Is this a mini-mix?

When should you use Addictive Drums or similar thing, instead of picking different drums from sample packs? And how to make that shit sound good? I thought Addictive Drums and Modern Drummer were supposed to sound good on default, but it kinda sucks.

Hello can some1 rap on my beat please? I'll put in the vocals if u want

clyp.it/1ocp3psb

The random and velocity based multi sampling in combination with the spill fromm the mic positions make for a much more natural sound, that these single file drum samples could never do.
Both are used for completely different things and a virtual instrument like addictive drums only sounds as natural as you program it, of course it sounds like ass if you just slap in notes one the grid with no sense of what a drummer would actually do in terms of velocity and playability

Is there any reason you shouldn't use pirated plugins with a brought DAW?

I'm thinking about buying FL studio because I want dem lifetime free updates. I want to start buying plugins too but I don't have a lot of money right now

No, there is no reason.

If you can afford them it's better to buy - less hassle, updates, support

Pro tip: just use the tail end of syllables

multiband compressor is great, my bass guitar is solid now

I can not wait to get a DSI rev2, but there is still new good poly synth incoming. What to do?

13 days till mine ships
just wait it out man, it's coming

what did you just say

can't read?

Anyone have Nexus 2.3.2?

yes i can
what you said doenst make sense
>if you dont have money to buy, then buy it cause its better to buy

>if you dont have money to buy
>If you can afford them
go finish your ged homework

ah you said can afford, not cant afford
sorry dude. i stand wrong

What are some good drum packs/drum sample VSTs for House/EDM stuff?

I've been trying to find a good one for a long time

Xfer sample pack

Anyone know of any good chinese sampled instruments that aren't stupid expensive/have any good cracks? Was looking at Wavesfactory's Guzheng but not sure I want to fork out 59 eurobucks for it.

bump

where you got it from? sweetwater said I have to wait till summer

>How would I go about getting that kind of vocal effect?
vocoder + autotune

you can find samples for Erhu online. Guzheng is pretty hard to sample desu, and it wont sound good in vst.

sup buckos, this is essentially a doodle track thats kinda trappy I guess.Opinions/ recommendations pls? clyp.it/fw3rhhnw

what are some good maxforlive devices?

use it for specific things. not every synth can do everything you want. I found ES2 sounded good for keys and plink plonk type stuff, and maybe some pads.

the effects you put on the sound matter as much as the sound itself I've found.

to be honest, the main thing for VST really is bass. I need a great synth for bass, and I find that sampling analog bass is usually better, or something. or just using a real hardware synth is far prefered for bass only

but if I had to use a VST for bass, I really dont know what one would be the best

its pretty good sounding, I'll say that, in terms of fidelity and quality. kind of boring in terms of options IMO

need to try it again

still don't actually understand how to use this thing fluidly, but whenever I put it on something and mess with presets it always sounds fucking great at some point.

wish i understood how to actually use it though

i like dave parkinson house essentials

just like a regular compressor but only for a specific frequency range (like EQ frequencies)
you put it on the bass with a high ration, then all the bass notes will sound thumping like tum tum tum tum very heavy

Anyone here producing in Ableton Live?

I used to only record live instruments, and that process was fairly easy. This whole midi thing just feels really, really limiting to me, and by that i don't mean that midi is bad, but since midi is data about which note is pressed, how long a note is pressed and how firmly it is pressed that means that the BPM you set in your DAW is an essential resource for this information to be processed.

Because of this i always feel limited to work within a certain BPM, but when i want to do certain more classical parts, without percussion, in which the tempo is more free form and contantly changes, or parts in which rhythm is not of importance to then go back to introducing rhythm i feel like this fucks me over.

Is there some way of working more free form, without BPM as a "grid" other than to buy hardware synths and record audio? I guess freezing everything i record immediately would be another way.

Does anyone else have this problem in their head? I mean, i guess i could potentially just completely ignore the BPM and record everything at 120

How do you guys do it?

haven't used it, but i found out about this the other day when i was looking at max for live devices
youtube.com/watch?v=PH18KBNnARk

That looks like its something more for live sessions than producing hard frozen tracks

I don't have much experience with Ableton (used it back in 2031ish), but I've used midi to make the exact music you're thinking of. Honestly, I usually set the bpm to 110ish, then work with sixteenth note precision.

turn off the metronome and layout some reference tracks you play your takes on top
just ignore the grid and turn off all quantization if you don't want it

Hi im new (i guess) to producing, been doing it for almost a year i guess. I dont make electronic or party music, just chill soundtrack-instrumentals.

I just came here because i wanted some feedback on this:
soundcloud.com/h-kon-bekkevold-riksfjord/a-hval

as i said, dont expect party, expect dreamy shit or a soundtrack to some nature clips or whatever.