Tfw started to get into prog

>tfw started to get into prog
>just starting to realize how all other music genres are shit by comparison
Why didn't you tell me about this Sup Forums? Literally no other genre is as good.

Other urls found in this thread:

yesworld.com/2012/12/jon-anderson-talks-yes-close-to-the-edge-track-by-track/
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>___ genre is best and nothing can compare
what are you, 12?

You just found prog and you already consider it better than anything else? what happens when you stumble across the next "new thing", will all the music you've listened to be considered shit and irrelevant yet again?

Who are your favourite prog bands OP

t. someone who's never listened to jazz or classical

how is your sophomore year of high school going? are your slightly-too-short light-wash jeans preventing you from getting invited to parties?

"Literally no other genre is as good"
What this nigger said. Stop being closedminded. I am a ginormous shoegazefag but I still liisten to pretty much everything.

Not OP, but
"muh diversity and eclecticism"

>are your slightly-too-short light-wash jeans preventing you from getting invited to parties?
That is the most personal insult I have ever seen on this website.

"muh complexity and business within this single genre is inherently better than other genres with a more focused musical or aesthetic approach"

most proggites believe something like this in my experience

"muh genres"
good music is good music, genre is irrelevant

Fair enough
Not a progfag, but this is the worst thing I have ever read because of the ignorance.

i have heard multiple people say this type of shit. "prog is the best genre, it has all the complexity of jazz, the elegance of classical, and the appeal of pop and rock, with deep lyrics to boot". idk how you've managed to avoid this opinion genuinely

Battles.

>with deep lyrics to boot
These are the same faggots who tell you, "Dude, the lyrics of Yes are SUPPOSED to be absolute gibberish shit" when you call them out on it.
God, I would consider myself a progfag, but I fucking hate Yes with a passion.

>Prog is not the best, never said that
>Complexity is a good thing because effort was put in unlike my friend's shitty indie rock three-chord shtick band
>Elegance is good in moderation if silly, which I find many prog acts to have
>Appeal is a good thing
>I hate lyrics, where did you get this
I am just defending a particular genre that I enjoy. Plus, genre to me is sometimes an indicator of quality. With the exception of Butthole Surfers and more adventurous alt-rock bands, I avoid lo-fi.

fcking retweet, idk if you'd exactly consider it prog but someone unironically tried to tell me the lyrics to Rush's "Freewill" and "2112" were the greatest of all time

Guess I'm a faggot
Pavement is shit tho that's for sure

i'm not saying everyone believes all of those things, but prog elitists have said all or most of those things to me many times. I think, though, people mistake complexity for artistry a lot of the time. it's not inherently better to have 3 chords or 30, it's about the song you construct with them. elegance and appeal are both good, but it's more the idea that prog inherently has those aspects because of its genre, and not only that, but that you need not explore other genres because prog has whatever you're looking for in spades.

>not liking Yes
>not liking Jon Anderson's LSD lyrics
He's a really weird guy, but I enjoy his nonsense. Now, listening to him try to explain his lyrics is hilarious in a laughing at him kind of way.
yesworld.com/2012/12/jon-anderson-talks-yes-close-to-the-edge-track-by-track/
I get the impression that he actually believes what he says.

You should come to Ohio and see my friend's band to get the gist of what I'm saying. They sound like NMH had an botched abortion and it was raised by Jon Bellion. Fair enough point on complexity=artistry, however, I generally find bands with more variation more interesting (IMO),

I think those might actually have been the meanings to the lyrics that were running through his head during his LSD trips as he spewed that shit into the mic, but it doesn't matter because no amount of explanations will ever make me like the lines "There'll be no mutant enemy we shall certify/Political ends as sad remains will die."

>mfw they say prog is the best but they never listened to classical

What prog are you listening to user, this is very important in determining whether you are correct or not.

They probably are, but based on other interviews I think hes either always on LSD, or a very strange person who's probably insufferable and I see no reason it can't be both.

I actually like his lyrics, but I often prefer abstract nonsense, especially if it's done for timbre reasons.

oh yeah, i know e x a c t l y what you're talking about. i like to say that every shitty college band sounds like a bad pavement cover band, but a lot of time musical virtuosity just serves as a very shiny and appealing band-aid for weak or middle of the road songwriting. i say this as a pretty skilled instrumentalist myself, so inb4 "muh i can't play an instrument so i'm jealous" stuff

if you can't legally drink in the States, you shouldn't be here

Fair enough. I'm just saying complexity helps improve bands that are like my friend's band. But I dislike Thick as A Brick (Jethro Tull) as it overdoes it.

Close enough, 19 going on 20

Have you listened to Aphrodite's Child - 666? It's my favorite prog album of all time

what a shitty heuristic, tons of 21 and 22 year olds are just as terrible as 18 year olds.

This. King Crimson and Genesis are good. Yes and Rush? Absolutely shit.

2112 is a great concept album and paints a lovely picture
And Freewill has great almost timeless lyrics. Timeless because in the future religion will be a thing if the past.

Hahahaha you fucking pleb

Sorry, I don't quite appreciate some autistic Robert Plant impersonator screeching libertarian propaganda into my ear as he sloppily apes much better bassists.

>if you choose not to decide you still have made a choice

damn...

also he literally references religion as a central way one might use to divine their purpose, won't that be dated as hell in the year twenty one twelve if religion does in fact become obsolete?

>prog
>lyrics mattering

As much as I adore this genre I can't name a single lyricist that has blown my mind. Prog lyrics are bad to average at best, I thought this was generally understood.

Nope, you're just a faggot, listen to some King Crimson or Genesis or Jethro Tull ffs.

r u actually citing jethro tull as being good lyricists

this has to be b8

>he doesn't appreciate the actual meaning of Thick as a Brick
Stay a shallow materialist pleb, pleb.

Adolescence is symphonic prog

Adulthood is crossover prog