Sincere questions from a non-metalhead to metalheads: WHY do YOU listen to metal...

Sincere questions from a non-metalhead to metalheads: WHY do YOU listen to metal? What do you like about it and what draws you back to it?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Sm7I3KZSNIo
youtube.com/watch?v=C0GBSGUI3DA
youtube.com/watch?v=Bf8hfM8IReA
youtube.com/watch?v=WZqaxv1sEOQ
youtube.com/watch?v=BYty59y5200
youtube.com/watch?v=8-bB1CjpjfY
youtube.com/watch?v=mmTYJpqqJrE
youtube.com/watch?v=2bRuKExTfGM
youtube.com/watch?v=0J9MDi-Twuw
youtube.com/watch?v=cNdB5-A9O7g
youtube.com/watch?v=WVNBaPAkd4I
youtube.com/watch?v=X7UZeHvMYZA
youtube.com/watch?v=9KDzv8UCcrk
youtube.com/watch?v=fOGMRnKl5co
youtube.com/watch?v=8aQRq9hhekA
youtube.com/watch?v=R4NMuCvS39U
youtube.com/watch?v=ghoqJEFVWBU
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I honestly don't know how someone could not like it, especially if you're lucky enough to live close enough to a city to see live shows.

I like loud guitars and fast drums and screaming. That's about it.

i listen to metal for the energy...thats WHY I listen to metal.
& baka that there are still people with a "satanic panic" reaction towards it.

40yo
Listening to a lot of varied genre since being 20, metal still satisfies a need to rock-out/be stimulated by fast~slow~intense shit/fun-techy shit/etcetc

baka

Well, I really like some metal subgenres, but I think the concept of "metalhead" is a bit twisted, as the word suggests someone is obsessed with metal
Wanting answers from people obsessed with metal might give you retarded answers such as "metal is a lifestyle \m/"
To answer your own question, you can literally just think about a genre's characteristics
People yelling/growling loudly, loud drums and guitars, distortion, dissonance, (sometimes) complex time signatures and progressions, etc

You can do that for every genre and you'll know why Genre X appeals to people

>draws you back
Oh, now I get it, "growing up" & stuff

Op here, it was a genuine question without any implications whatsoever. I meant "draws you back" as in "when you are done with your day job and errands and shit, what makes you play metal on your speakers instead of any other music?"

Not everything on Sup Forums is bait, believe it or not

Also, thank you all for the answers, as someone who does not understand metal and is not acquainted with any metalheads, this helps me understand the world of metal and metalheads a lot. Keep posting, I will be lurking

It is about personal reasons and perceptions of metal from a fans' point of view. Tastes differ, obviously, and not everyone will like same characteristics of a music genre, and that is exactly what I am looking for in this thread: various reasons that fans of metal love it for. You can see in the answers so far that different people like it for different reasons. Generalization is often useful, but that is not what I am looking for here

riffs

Got into metal after a slow journey from rock getting heavier.
I mostly listen to prog now and I never really listened to metal for the sake of being 'br00tal' or whatever, I think it's more a case of getting used to the heaviness/growls and then discovering a whole new world of music. It's just a different style and to a certain extent you have to dip your toe in slowly before you can enjoy it, but there's a lot of creative and interesting music within metal that's too good not to pass up because one doesn't enjoy the heaviness.

i like listening to it, retard

what draws anyone to any kind of music

Multiple things for me:

Riffs
youtube.com/watch?v=Sm7I3KZSNIo
Bass heavy sound
youtube.com/watch?v=C0GBSGUI3DA
Catchy
youtube.com/watch?v=Bf8hfM8IReA
Ridiculous
youtube.com/watch?v=WZqaxv1sEOQ
Or just plain stupid and fun
youtube.com/watch?v=BYty59y5200
Groovy
youtube.com/watch?v=8-bB1CjpjfY
youtube.com/watch?v=mmTYJpqqJrE
Mellow and easy going
youtube.com/watch?v=2bRuKExTfGM
youtube.com/watch?v=0J9MDi-Twuw

it depends. the basic 'idea' that underpins metal as a whole is the heavy-riff idea- the method of composing songs where the riffs aren't used as hooks (like in a lot of hard rock or blues type stuff) but as the main propelling force of the composition, and where the basic tone of the music is very extroverted and larger-than-life. this or more or less where the appeal of this music comes from, cos it lends itself to making music that feels consequential, with these harsh/loud textures and involved phrasal songwriting giving the impression that there's like this big important thing happening around you.

Could you explain to me, layman-style, what are riffs and what are hooks? English is not my first language and I am unfamiliar with these terms. Explaining those will help me understand your post as a whole

>riff
Short, repeated pattern of notes, repeated throughout the song.
youtube.com/watch?v=cNdB5-A9O7g
youtube.com/watch?v=WVNBaPAkd4I

youtube.com/watch?v=X7UZeHvMYZA
youtube.com/watch?v=9KDzv8UCcrk

Live shows are better than anything, energy-wise, youve ever been to. also, in terms of the music, nothing comes close.

well a riff is like a musical phrase that usually gets repeated. in lots of different kinds of music, you hear riffs being used in lots of different ways.
in a lot of rock or pop music, you hear riffs being used as hooks, and a hook is like a catchy or memorable part (sort of analogous to a chorus). so this is an example of a riff being used as a hook:
youtube.com/watch?v=fOGMRnKl5co

you can see that basically there's that one really memorable riff at the beginning, and that's what the song uses to 'hook' you in. now compare with this:
youtube.com/watch?v=8aQRq9hhekA

this has got a big memorable 'hook' kind of riff, but the song itself is actually a succession of different riffs- the whole thing is made of riffs, it doesn't just 'use' riffs as a catchy chorus. because of this kind of riff-based writing, they can suddenly change key and tempo at 3:10 and still have it make sense, and do it again at 4:38. this is one compelling thing about metal- the whole riff-idea means that you're building songs out of successions of phrases that can progress from one another, that can have these kinds of big changes and feel like they're going somewhere without being restricted to just one tempo or set of notes to work with. just the feeling of a good heavy riff is also very appealing- there's this brute kind of basic pleasure that comes from hearing a band put everything they have into expressing a big fat heavy riff, and metal capitalises heavily on this.

I listen to metal cuz of the energy and aggressiveness of it. It makes feel like I can kick anyone's ass and that gives me confidence. Also when I was younger I was pissed off at the world all the time, so it functioned as a vessel for me to project all of that negativity and release it from within me. Now I always comeback to it cuz of the sheer energy that it injects in my veins. It's really fucking exciting.

this desu

cause it's powerful

youtube.com/watch?v=R4NMuCvS39U

R I F F S

youtube.com/watch?v=ghoqJEFVWBU

Because I enjoy how over-the-top it is. It's also energetic and amps me up at the gym

The energy it emits, mostly. I listen to punk for the same reasons.

There's also mental images that the music can help paint like listening to the The Sword describes Conan like scenes, Trivium has a song entirely about Cronus and his genitals getting cut, Converge has a song that's basically about losing your dog. I dunno, man. It's varied but the thing I keep coming back to metal for is the aggressive sound. It sounds lame as fuck but it can be therapeutic sometimes.

But I feel you can still apply a lot of this to other genres.