/daily/ - /daily/ Rescue edition

/daily/ Rescue edition. Time to start making some changes around here. Pick something interesting for the listenalong, filter the annoying trips, etc.

The point of these threads is to critically analyse musical traditions from all over the world, including the western pop canon, and perform discourse on the topic. This discourse shapes what is allowed to be discussed and who is allowed to take part. As a shibboleth against lowbrows, the highest caliber of dank memes is used as communication. By doing this, we can create a utopia for true music lovers and colonise the planet, solar system, and galaxy. Every single utterance here is broadcast wirelessly, somewhere, some time, and will as such be launched into the infinity of thoughts.

Links:
neverendingchartrendering.org/
plug.dj/sdc-room-3-the-sequel
dailymu-sic.weebly.com/
discord.gg/8exuEmG

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=lW0YGC68qP4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

what the fuck for

Previously on /daily/:

I think we might be dead because of this goddamned op text

>filter the annoying trips
This kills the /daily/

hey jangl fack yew boyo ya fackin hooser

Pretty bad. First sentence of 2nd paragraph is exactly how not to write.

Shut it down!!!

>filter the annoying trips
Filtered ;)

I didn't see this cuz you're already filtered

Should words serve the truth

Is it ok if my choice for the listenalong is going to be a classical recording?

impossible and illegal

It's decided then!

It's your time to shine. Expect terrible, useless reviews, of course

I hope your city gets hit by a tsunami

As someone who isn't participating and has zero authority on this, yes that's 100% fine.

numbers

>Giles Corey album art not a perfect square
>Not worth the effort to fix
>Delete it from library

>iTunes

Braxton isn't a perfect square either

I press play and it plays music ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

FUG
fixed

There is no possible way that can happen because Straya has it's own tectonic plate

I got trips twice today guys, what does it mean?

North Korean nuke testing; preferably on australian soil but the adjacent ocean would also be great.

Which one first?

Mance Lipscomb

LMAOing at my 2 top artists this week

Will do.

If you don't drink whiskey already, now is the time to start.

Whiskey is my shit. 25 yo Bunnahabhain or nuthing bb

How about fedoras?

I had a straw fedora a couple of summers ago, it was nice.

>9 for Hurley

Phil Elverum was pretty incredible for just a dude and his guitar. I thought his new album was just alright, but attaching a face to the words added a whole new dimension to the songs.

He opened and closed with two new songs: "Distortion" and "TinTin in Tibet" which both fit in with the new set of songs quite well. My only complaint is that he JUST played those two new songs + his new album all the way through. In order. With nothing else in between.

I understand you've been doing this thing for two decades now and you don't have any other band members/instruments, but c'mon dude. You're not gonna do anything else? No Headless Horseman? No I Felt Your Shape? No acoustic cover of The Moon? I would've died to hear any of these paid live.

Regardless, I would highly rec seeing Phil live if you even slightly enjoyed the album if you get the chance. In the middle of his new song "Distortion" he makes a pretty funny joke about being a "Dead Beat Dad" which got a lot of laughs, plus after the song "Chasm" he paused for a bit and after thanking everyone he said "Yeah...so, this is pretty fucked up right? Sorry about that." which was pretty hilarious. So don't be worried about it being an hour of "boo hoo muh wife died ;__;".

didn't you give that album a 3 anyways?

Yep, that's why I decided to delete it.

but why did you even have it in your library for that long

Idk, am I supposed to delete everything below a 5 immediately?

yeah dude, you gotta save the hard drive space for important things like pig pictures

Hmmmm, strong point.

what kind of pleb deletes music they don't like?

what if you change your mind about the album in the future??

This is why I have Spotify. They call me the breeze

but what about the internet apocalypse

>internet apocalypse
Pshh, that's nothing. After the EMP wars of 2041 y'all will be paying a hefty admission to listen to my record collection with a bull horn and a hand crank.

I don't know about this

daily is a volatile market

yeah diversify ur holdings, minimize risk by investing in safer assets like kpop threads

>implying rising ocean levels and extreme weather occurrences won't wipe out both our internet and water damage all of our records by then

what are Sup Forums's penny stocks?

Mance Lipscomb - Texas Sharecropper & Songster (1960)
>Delta Blues

Pretty middle-of-the road bluesman. Good at everything (fingerpicking, songwriting, slide, voice) but not terribly unique or original at any of them. Doesn't quite hit that raw emotion like many of his contemporaries, but still has that warm gentle feeling and genuine musical conveyance. Good, but does nothing to elevate him ahead of the pack in my eyes.

6.5 /10

>water damage all of our records
but vinyl is waterresistant?

This
It's PVC, ie. the same stuff your plumbing pipes are made out of. Literally one of the only things that water doesn't damage.

(it pig)

I personally put a bit into /dark/ in the warmer months so that I can sell big in the winter

Specific non-Sup Forumscore album threads definitely. Usually shit discussion, potentially high upside, but most don't even get a reply

I lost a ton in /trad/ investments
/kpop/ is on a constant high, so it doesn't really pay off
I'm going for /shugazi/, it will rise again

I definitely gambled way too much on /trad/ last year as well
That Blind listening thread has been up and down all year as well

>using as well twice
Brb, killing self

Quickspace - The Death of Quickspace
[2000]
>noise pop

I was pretty much bound to love this since it's noise pop with female/male dueting and spacey songwriting. I would've liked them to push the boundaries a bit more but it's very good as it is, the longest tracks pass by without getting too tedious and even if the start is stronger than the end it is an overall pleasing experience.

i thought you liked weezer too

I know that feel

>Tfw invested in /noise/
It's like enron all over again

when will the Sup Forums bubble pop guys? will investors realize its all a sham?

I thinking I should cash out before the crash

I got too much invested in this baby

I'm in it till the end

>Ensemble Georgika - Music from Georgia Vol. 1

Georgia's interesting culture gets ignored too much in my opinion; despite the longstanding traditions and unique development leading to a one-of-a-kind culture, there doesn't seem to be much international interest in it at all beyond making jokes about it having the same name as a redneck state.

This release documents, for the most part, polyphonic chants, mostly without any sort of instrumental accompaniment - though there are some tracks with traditional stringed instruments, and there are a couple instrumental tracks featuring other instruments like flutes. It's not as instantly jaw dropping as the other polyphonic chant albums you may know like Le mystère des voix bulgares, but this compilation has some of the most beautiful ancient music out there. It does suffer from some issues that folk comps like this often have - namely, it seems the tracks thrown on this was done at random, so the quality control is lacking. I also wish there was a bit more in the way of instrumental sections, as they definitely helped break the monotony, and I think it would be better with more church songs as opposed to work songs.

I wish I had invested in Sup Forums before the American elections so that I could sell when Trump got elected, that was peak meme economy.

I recommend saving rare Pepes now though, with Adult Swim making a Pepe show their value will skyrocket.

Good morning

@co

yes

/aco/

well I'm now biliterate in the eyes of the United States Government. Millions of dollars here i come

no

oh wow so is everyone outside of english speaking countries thx cultural imperialism

>Leo Soileau - The Early Recordings
>Cajun

I'm not super familiar on pure Cajun music, but from a bit of research I believe Soileau was the second practitioner of it to ever be recorded, and this album encompasses his earliest work.

The highlights of these recordings is certainly the fiddling; the singing here is an acquired taste, and the other instruments that are sometimes present are nowhere near as fun to listen to (the accordion is especially disappointing to me, since I am a big fan of that instrument). Most of these tracks are very much the same in terms of formula: fiddle intro, some other instrument comes in, everyone stops playing for some singing to start, and then the instruments start. And, of course, these are some very old recordings, so it has a lot of quirks that old recordings have: constantly hiss, distorted vocals, instruments often drowning each other, etc. I personally think this gives the recordings a bit of character, but this will turn people off if they have little tolerance for extremely raw sound.

I appreciate this from a historical standpoint, but I unfortunately did not really enjoy this *that* much. Some of these tracks are very nice on their own, but as a whole this is a bit much for me, and I say that as someone who generally enjoys music descended from more traditional Cajun stuff. However, if you have a standing interest in early recordings of Southern music, you can't go wrong with this.

Billions of United States Dollers Tea Emm here i come

no that genre is banned from the listen along
/szy/

bump, I guess

what are y'all listening to?

Hot takes general

>Daniel Johnston is really fucking depressing because a mentally ill man who needs help got used to sell records.

>Those records fucking sucked.

>African jazz is really cool

>The Beatles are better than the Beadh Boys, who had like max 3 good albums

>A Boogie Wit Da Hoodie deserves to be an XL Freshman

>Dead C is the best noise rock band ever

I actually kind of enjoy the singing here, has a very raw quality.

I'm wagering on hip-hop threads, the constant switch-up between good and terrible threads is high risk high reward stuff

Cute pig

ur rec is real good btw, was listening in the car earlier. looked up the english lyrics online after i got home

>>Dead C is the best noise rock band ever
this is too much

I'm still waiting for this nerd to say something

Was listening to this new Operaism album by David Kanaga, which is excellent. But I think I'm going to switch to Modest Mouse now, feeling a little depressed

I'm a music conservatory graduate. I spent years analyzing music for grades, so when I come across something that's garbage, I know. Beatles albums have the melodic complexity of a train horn (actually less; train horns often are tuned to a tritone, which seem to be absent in their music) and the lyrical complexity barely goes beyond a 3rd grade vocabulary. Not only is this music intended for ignorant audiences, it's intended to provoke ignorant young people into becoming hippies in order to fill the marijuana shops with costumers in the US. How's that for an unpopular opinion?

okay

okay

Pet Sounds and Smile beat out every Beatles album by a long shot, but in general I'd agree with this. The Beatles don't really have more than a handful of good albums either though, which begin with Rubber Soul and end with Abbey Road exclusively with a few shit ones in between there

who? XL "Freshmen" are usually two years too late anyways, just like the grammys pretending Chance the Rapper was a "new artist" lmao.

Tusk is okay but really they don't have much else other than that.

I'm too tired to have many hot takes right now, but the best I can come up with is that Fugazi maybe has an album full of good songs and otherwise stink and that pretty much every OG punk band is garbage (clash/sex pistols-era).

you can't have an unpopular opinion on the Beatles. It's not possible. Every "hot take" on them will inevitably have thousands of people agreeing with you.

Hot take: Ringo owned slaves.

>Pet Sounds beats out every Beatles album

I see where you're coming from, not my taste, but that's fair

>Smile beats every Beatles album

You have shit taste

>You have shit taste
Smile beats out every Beatles and Beach Boys album

>hot takes
>African jazz is really cool
...? well duh

literally which beatles album is better than smile sessions? Genuinely curious. (not the Brian Wilson or Smiley Smile)

Let it Be and MMT are overrated crocks

Abbey Road has five or six whatever songs

The White Album, while having probably the most Beatles songs I like, is in total one good album

The b-side of Sgt. Pepper is really lacking

Rubber Soul and Yesterday are both great, but have easily identifiable songs that don't really hold up

The only one I can think of that matches it is Revolver, which only really has two songs (Yellow Submarine and Doctor Robert) that I don't really care for.

Here Today is probably the only Pet Sounds song I really don't care for anyways. And every whatever track on Smile is like 50 seconds anyways.

I would argue about SMiLE but that image made me laugh

Barfy Beatles opinions. Abbey Road has to be the most consistent. It'll be hard to argue against Smile Sessions having zero so-so songs too.

I could go either way on this one though.

Or the exact opposite of what I said about smile sessions. Whoops.

well for me at least there are certain portions of smile that when I listen to just send me into pure musical ecstasy. I don't know what does it but perhaps it's just how densely layered and lush the compositions are. And despite the lyrics being mostly nonsensical, the way they're sung and especially how they are arranged lend to some intensely emotional moments that I haven't heard recreated on any other record.
Sure there are a few rough patches on Smile, in what is essentially a cut-and-paste of interchangeable musical vignettes there are bound to be a few, but those moments of bliss are hard to deny.

White and Abbey are my personal favorites

>Abbey has five or six whatever songs

Only one that's even close to being whatever is Come Together, and that's still pretty damn good with that insanely catchy chorus

Plus it has the best thing the Beatles ever did, the B-Side suite.

White has 2 songs that I don't like and one of em is a minute long. The rest is wall to wall greatness.

On every Beach Boys album excluding maybe Pet Sounds has one song that is genuinely bad.

On the SMiLE Sessions, you have aimless crap like Love to Say Dada and Child is the Father of Man, and then you just have mediocre songs across the board with tracks like Vega-Tables, Do You Like Worms and the Four Elements.

I swear the only reason the SMiLE sessions are held in such high regard is because of the story behind it rather than the actual music.

phone posting makes this look incoherent af

SMiLE does have some classic songs on there, but does it really make up for all the other trash The Beach Boys did?

I really like it too. I'm tempted to skip around when I listen, especially knowing it's not *official*. I also get that from parts of Abbey Road. "Something", for example. People see these bands in pretty black-and-white terms, which I think sucks, since they both have undoubtedly great moments.

>does it really make up for all the other trash The Beach Boys did?
I guess not? but why does that matter?
They made two albums that in my mind are some of the greatest music recorded.
The Beatles haven't come close to that for me, sure they've been more consistent, but what does that matter?
To me the Beatles never reached close to the levels that the Beach Boys did in terms of songwriting

Come Together + everything between You Never Give Me Your Money and Golden Slumbers are whatever to me.

Golden Slumbers and She's So Heavy are incredible though. Top 10 Bortles songs 4 shur

The Beach Boys maybe have another album total of other good songs before Pet Sounds
youtube.com/watch?v=lW0YGC68qP4
This is one of the best pop songs ever though.

>in order to fill the marijuana shops with costumers in the US
Why were the Beatles so obsessed with costume makers buying weed in US weed shops?

>Gris - Il était une forêt...

Fucking awesome. I've always been a fan of dbm, and this was one of the better dbm releases I've heard. I loved how the vocals died out at the end of the screams, it really gave it a vibe of complete helplessness

4.5/5
>Bathory - Blood Fire Death

Wasn't that good desu

3/5

/sci/
yeah it's ideal driving music
last episode aku no hana i'm bout to go in

/tg/

Lol I'm so bad at committing to charts

Good morning /daily/!

Gonna give some DM a listen.

DeadMaufive?

i'm just tryna find some deep house, what is this bullshit?