Pokemon movie attracts serious talent

>With millions of people currently spending their free time trying to catch ’em all, Nintendo’s stock price has rocketed up 25%, and the company’s financial outlook now looks quite rosy. Naturally, Pokémon Go’s success has led Legendary Pictures to start working overtime on a deal with Nintendo to produce a live-action Pokémon movie. While a deal is still not finalized, reports are suggesting who might be in line to write the script, if and when contracts are signed.

>According to Deadline (among other sources) the seemingly always busy Max Landis – writer of Chronicle and the upcoming Power Rangers movie reboot – is being eyed to pen the script for Legendary’s potential live-action Pokemon effort. In addition to Chronicle and Power Rangers, Landis also penned last year’s American Ultra and Victor Frankenstein, and is currently working on the Will Smith fronted fantasy thriller Bright for Netflix.

>For those unaware, Max is the son of legendary Hollywood director John Landis, the man behind such classics as Animal House, The Blues Brothers, and An American Werewolf in London. Unsurprisingly, Max actually got his first screenwriting credit on a Masters of Horror episode directed by his father.

Thoughts?

Is Max the right man for the job? Should the movie be done in live action at all?

Other urls found in this thread:

maxlandiswrites.com/ghostbusters-iii/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

The movie is 10 years late.

I want to see Paul Thomas Anderson's Pokémon.

It's a good choice for writer, the director pick is what will make or break this, live action isn't as big of a deal as people think.

Landis will request Mike Stoklasa for director

Wes Anderson would be a better fit for Pokemon desu

Wes Anderson would want to do a stop-motion Pokemon.

nintendo is still too bitten from the mario bros debacle in the 90s

they will not accept anything but a serious pitch with serious talent and love for their franchises. they are the disney/pixar of the game industry, they will not have some hack like landis who is on a string of bombs touch their IPs

my sides are in orbit at this shitty rumor that max's people probably started themselves to give him some good press by osmosis

For fuck's sake, I'm not a writer on Power Rangers. Like Ghostbusters, I had a treatment that got swept aside when other people swooped in with their own ideas. Whatever, it happens all the time.

Hoping I can do something cool for you guys with Pokemon though, I played the shit out of the games from Red/Blue to Gold/Silver back in the day.

>serious talent
>Max "One Hit Wonder than permanent resident in Flop City" Landis

Ok.

>Legendary Pictures

confirmed failure lel

That depends, do the chinks dig Pokemon?

Epic bro

> serious talent
>picture of Max Landis

Pick one.

>tfw Ash will be played by either a woman or black man

This.

BUT.

If anyone could do it and do it RIGHT, I'd trust someone who was around for the original, like Max, than some stuffy older writer who was too old to get hooked in 1998.

>Ok.
Not that I like Max landis any better than you do, but a movie isn't just its script yeh?

I literally cannot see how you'd do this.

Gonna need some identity verification there, buddy

Indeed, and he has one good movie on his resume, and it can be probably mostly attributed to the director too.

I'm always of two minds about Max Landis.

On the one hand, yeah, string of bombs, blah blah.

On the other, he's clearly very passionate about what he does.

And his pitch for Ghostbusters 3 is the best I've ever read.

maxlandiswrites.com/ghostbusters-iii/

>Is the Pokemon movie a cocaine fueled youtube rant shakily filmed on a macbook pro and distributed directly to twitter?
No? Then no. Landis is not the right guy for the job.

>live-action movie
>gen 1 pokemon only

don't bother.

Tennis balls on sticks.

Who will play Brock?

Brock has to be a Latino or a light-skinned Black.

you have the criteria of a 15 year old weeb

Go back to work Max

there is no way to make the pokémon look good with cgi without entering uncanny valley levels

>serious talent
>Max Landis

You can do it. Don't pander. Also, pokemon lost the darkness and mysticism that was present in the original games and even the anime. I'm talking like that dragonite lighthouse episode and the shit like genetic testing and the unknown. Bring back that mystery and intrigue without making it grimdark and you have it.

Nah.

Kids who were playing Pokemon in 1998 now have jobs and money to spend going to the movies.

The thing about Max is he tends to have a lot of great ideas, but they usually fall apart in their execution. He is a fantastic pitchman, but his actual work rarely holds up.

Cause Trank did so well on his own?

It's the filmmakers butchering his brilliant ideas. It's not his fault.

>The thing about Max is he tends to have a lot of great ideas, and they get exposure because of his family name, even though they suck.

Fixed.

Go to bed, Max.

>but they usually fall apart in their execution.
Remind me again, who's in charge of "executing" a movie? Whose vision gets projected most prominently to the screen? Is it the writer?
I'll give you a hint: It's not the writer

Trank's scifi body horror Fantastic Four film would have been capekino and you know it.

Who know how he would have done without the studio fucking him halfway through production.

medium kek

I said go to bed, Max.

>writer of Chronicle and the upcoming Power Rangers movie reboot

He's not credited and I could have sworn I saw some interview where he said he wrote something for them but they didn't use it.

He would really delve deep into Red growing up without a father I'm sure.

>live action Pokemon movie

Ehhhhhhhh I really don't see this working if the monsters are redesigned to fit the real world.

Well, he has ideas. Yeah. So you are partially right.

>Remind me again, who's in charge of "executing" a movie
When the writing sucks (ie: Victor Frankenstein, American Ultra) it's Max's fault. I don't know why you defend him, he's done one decent flick.

Seemed like most of the problems stemmed from Trank not from the studio.

So basically if the movie is good it's because of Max, but if the movie's bad it's someone else's fault?

Thanks man, I try not to. Given how huge Pokemon has blown up recently, it's possible the studio isn't going to poke their nose into the film as much as they did with Frankenstein or American Ultra. All I ask for those movies is you read the scripts - they're out there on the internet, then judge the job I did. The finished product isn't always what I wrote.

Love coming here to see some honest feedback too and shitpost. Think you guys will dig the shit out of Bright and Deeper. Also BvS and Ghostbusters were balls.

Honestly, both fucked up. Trank was trying to do some weird body horror indy flick, studio wanted a Disney Marvel flick. Trank should have known that shit won't fly with that franchise, and the studio should have told him what they want instead of giving a free reign.

Just like Chris Chan

He grew up with a father m8

>Ghostbusters were balls.
How dare you.

He didn't sound all that fun to work with, but this honestly sounds like a chicken/egg scenario. The shoot was a nightmare due to Trank's behavior, but Trank's behavior could easily have stemmed from his frustration with the studio. They OK'd his idea for an atypical superhero film then got cold feet about it and pulled the rug out from under him. Sounds frustrating.

>BvS
>balls

Pleb, reconfirmed.

he just sold a movie script to Netflix for 3.5mil and is in the middle of running his own show. the guy get work consistently, he has lots of ideas and is good at pitching them, he knows how he game works. you're just some guy on Sup Forums

Would you, Sup Forums?

I would.

What if it was a more style aliased world like speed racer.

but disney/pixar make games too.

Speed Racer was visual rape

You mean Red?

Never played new gens
> knowing how Japan is
Is that screenshot legit?

But did it feel good baby?

You must be over 18 to post here lady

yes.

The fact that an anime movie grossed 85 million in 1999 in America is pretty impressive, though.

AY Y'NA SAYIN' LADIES AY YOU FEEL ME?

Paul WS Anderson would be a better pick, desu.

Guy is the master of fun schlock

how would they animate the pokemon though?

if its live action.....should it be cartoon pokemon? 3D pokemon? realistic CGI pokemon with fur and scales?

wouldnt it be jarring?

I like Max as a person but the movies he's written are shit and I don't think that's a coincidence

It'll look like Jellyfish Eyes.

>American Ultra
>now all I see is Jesse Eisenberg as Ash

JUST

The nepotism is fucking real, Max Landis shouldn't be allowed to write movies at this point but he keeps getting chances.

Make it like Beowulf.

> when the creator of something makes lewd jokes/content about his own creations

Considering it's Max Landis, I really hope they go for big budget hyperrealistic Pokemon. It should be creepy and brutal, and then they can have good facial emoting on the Pokemon.

>Max Landis
>Serious talent

Uhh, m-mewtwo!

I don't get it.

GET IT SEX JAJAJAJAJAJA

>not a diglet

Not Asian-accurate

how would a pokemon live-action movie even work?
The monsters would just look silly, the world itself would look incredibly silly and they don't exactly have a story they can readily film
would probably end up with a generic "pokemon were created by [insert suspicious group] and are now wrecking [insert major city]"

Whats wrong with silly? It's for kids.

>It's for kids.

user, I...

>both pokemon are male

Its gonna be all grimdark aint it

if its the original 151 then you have to deal with "the" legendary not being a mythological beast or creator god or anything but rather a psychic bioweapon going nuts and killing its creators

you don't even have to change anything about his origin, just show it happening in real time and shit's already grimdark

There's a trap character in BW.

Yes

Him as Oak could work

Where were you when sjw's ruined pokemon

Hell no, it's Pokemon, gotta appeal to kids.

Kids don't give a fuck about Pokemon anymore.

Course they do, it's why the tv series is still going after 19 years.

How the fuck does he keep getting this recognition
All the projects he works on are OK to mediocre and are flops
Surely his dad's name doesn't have that much force behind it

> these niggas forgot that ASH GOT TURNED INTO A STONE FUCKING STATUE in the original pokemon movie