autismspeaks.org/
youtube.com/watch?v=7GeV2FcSfyo
twitter.com/AnonBabble

is that a black sabbath album in the back? on vinyl?? :o

bump

>current year
>listening to metal

>Decent 4

I just called my sister this. She did not take it well.

Fantano doesn't know anything about music

its an example of how an album like that is supposed to be done

Hi Fagtano

bump

anthony ends another carreir

Anyone else think his metric for scoring is fucking retarded? A 'decent' 4? What does that even mean? I've seen him give a strong 2. So what, it's a fucking TWO out of ten, but it's a strong album as far as 2/10 albums go?

???

we already knew mastodon is finished. They have been since crack the sky

strong two might be like a 2.8 or something, in comparison to a weak two being a 2.2 for example. silly thing, think at this point its just sorta his thing more than it really serves a purpose but ya

>we

How can people even listen to a record with such an ugly cover?

Is this that numale meme I read about on reddit?

well, I usually click play on my media player

Did you flippantly throw your scarf over your shoulder and scoff at it when you first saw it?you're probably one of those nu-males that buys music he deems aesthetically pleasing on a visual level because it's color coordinated with his effeminate ensemble and it's minimalist approach reflects his personality.

why hi there fellow cuck

oh wow how can they ever recover from a bad anthony fantano review

i bet he listen more music than u

autism?

light is like .1 - .3
decent is like .4 - .6
strong is like .7 - .9

they don't have an easy path ahead of them by any means. there's a whole demographic of men who drink from coffee mugs with both hands who will never listen to this shit now.

His mimicking of the vocals made me download the album. Will listen to it tomorrow.

yeah visual art is for fags. metal is for cool boys.

nothing wrong with visual art you dunce. but it shouldn't have such a serious bearing on whether or not you listen to an album or not. i didn't make a dichotomous statement.

>not kicking your skis off at the summit and warming yourself by two-handing a hot mug of cocoa
whatever

That still makes no sense, which is why most people just use 1-10. What does it mean to say an album is a 1.9?

It's an AMAZING 1 guys!

>i need all my reviews to be accurate to the tenths place

my dear friend, can i recommend a site called pitchfork?

>autismspeaks.org/

no one else seems to have trouble understanding what he means.

what are you talking about? the album cover is fantastic

do you also breath in the aroma through your nose and smile fondly with your eyes closed behind a veil of steam? if so you should at least listen to Steambreather because it's a good ass song and may incidentally resonate with you on some level.

>metal

lel. unabashedly.

>he doesn't know the difference between a 1.9 album and a 2 album

pleb

i like to think metal is for children too! can i join the club?????

yeah, but the club is more just like a loose confederation of all and everyone who doesn't have shit taste.

I seriously hope this is bait. Because you
have autism if not.

>anime

Dismissing genres out of hand and not having a broad palette of taste seems pretty pleb to me to be honest with you famuel.

I honestly can't tell if the "only kids listen to metal" meme is people baiting or being serious

>The Hunter - 5
>Once More Round the Sun - 7
>Emperor of Sand - 4
???????

Why do so many of you swing from this dude's nuts so much? I couldn't make it through 2 minutes of listening to him without wanting to punch him in his hipster superiority complex having throat. I bet he's an insufferable cunt in real life.

Are you retarded?

>being this threatened by a literal melon
metalmeltdown

he was protesting against the thing he described and not for it, idiot

You can complain all day about whatever music Mastodon puts out, but their cover art has always been fantastic.

>Mastodong

Kek

you don't rank your 1's? autismemes bro bro

He gave OMRTS a fucking 7, and EoS is a hell of a lot better

Even The Hunter is better than OMRTS

I haven't given a shit about Mastodon in like 8 years or something, I'm just sick of seeing this dude.

I'd disagree, OMRTS has some decent riffs and there's a notorious improvement on vocals, specially on Brann.

Still, I think in general Mastodon works best by making concept albums, I believe both the Hunter and OMRTS would be a lot better if there was something conducting the tracks

Mr. Dan! love em

It seems to me like most of melon's criticisms for the album are for its vocals, and how "cheesy" they are.

While I don't disagree, were the lyrics on their past albums really any less cheesy? I've personally always listened for the instrumentation (and I think they knocked it out of the park in this regard on EoS), so I genuinely don't know.

What's your favorite Mastodon album and why is it Crack the Skye

Mastodon is certified buttmeal

Mastodon were always kind of criticized for not being particularly good singers. They are still not, but no one really gives much of shit about it, except internet's busiest melon for some reason. For what it's worth, all 3 singers seemed to have improved a lot their singing, but I always felt that there was some cheese on their lyrics since the beginning

>Still no wind based album

>headcannonfags that still think Crack the Skye is about aether

why is leviathan a concept album when the vinyl record version is in a different track order? im very sure cts was their only concept album

>I trust fantano "reviews"

lot of grown big boys in this thread

destroyed

Go back to bed anthony

old reference is old

crack the skye and leviathan are amazing
it's actually too bad that they've fallen off in quality

>Mastodon is certified buttmeal
>buttmeal

And you're either a certified illiterate fuck or you're a certified homosexual who eats ass for sustenance.

>pleb has never eaten ass before

a 4/10 is generous. emperor of sand is the most pathetic album i've listened to in a while.

>doesnt lurk
>doesnt eat ass for food

How can one man be such a peasant

eating ass is just a pleb version of sucking dick desu

>buttmeal
kek

they haven't been good for awhile but for some reason they have a militant fanbase who thinks that selling out and playing buttrock is "evoloving"

I don't understand this. Opeth's fanbase has almost totally abandoned them, and their prog albums aren't even bad.
But Mastodon churn out unlistenable stadium buttrock and we get "w-well it's not Leviathan but it's still good enough"

i guess because they seem like chill guys people identify personally with them or something.

they'll even defend HEY HO LETS FUCKING GO

Mastodon released a really well-executed and impressive album that was cohesive and relied on all it's members putting their best efforts forward and exercising restraint when needed for the greater good of the songs.

sadsack metal fans and self-conscious contrarians like anthony will try to tell you differently because they're hoes. hoes that hate to see a band realize their potential and become successful.

Contrarian, AKA "Anyone who disagrees with me, ever."

No, it's actually really insufferable prog masturbation with no complexity, or depth you insufferable faggot.

it's a trash album with poor riffs that isn't memorable at all

it's not even 1/30th of what Crack The Skye is

you know went soft because they're too lazy to play slightly more technical songs from their older albums

they dont have any of their good songs rehearsed and would shred them to pieces

if anything is exhausted and formulaic at this point it's the guy's reviews. He's predictably contrarian, opportunistic when recently deceased musicians are the subject matter, and all in all is just trendy and pretentious cunt whose opinions are parroted by a cacophony of people with personality deficits that can't formulate their own opinions without his guidance.

I remember him talking shit about Sean Price and then changing the way he spoke and his opinion on his music after he died.
youtube.com/watch?v=7GeV2FcSfyo
"DUDE's" an insincere little hoe and can't be trusted.

Contrarian, AKA "Anyone who disagrees with me, ever."

Best thing they've done since crack the skye.

Brent's qt looks like a decent 8 to a light 9.

bump

This pretty much

If anyone can point out to me the difference between a 75 and a 76 (which is essentially what Pitchfork does), I'd like to know about it.

Even a score out of 10, or using half-stars, is bordering on too precise

What's wrong with just a 0/5, 1/5, 2/5, 3/5, 4/5, and 5/5 system?

Great argument

looks like brent hinds is experimenting with the brazilian genre if you know what i mean

bump-thony thread-tano here!

his metal reviews are always accurate

>getting this upset when someone slags off a shitty mastodon album
you need to reevaluate

>contrarian
People were barely talking about the album here and when it was discussed most people could agree it wasn't very good. Only butthurt autists are triggered at this review. Fantano isn't saying anything that hasn't already been said

>I'll take the later

bump

fucking PANNED

>listening to prog metal

I personally like 20 point systems the most (rating out of ten with .5 increments). I think there's enough of a difference between, say, a 6 and a 7 that the existence of a 6.5 is justified for me. There's definitely enough stuff I encounter where I feel a 6 is slightly too harsh and a 7 is slightly too generous.

I also quite like ant knee's system of light, decent, strong number ratings.

How about instead of using 1/10 scale, try thinking of it as a 1/100. If a decent three is around a 3.4 to a 3.6, then think of it was 34/100 or 36/100. a 6.7/10 is mathematically the same thing as a 67/100. I'm honestly quite surprised this didn't occur to you since this is grade school math, but then again, why would I expect Sup Forumstants to know calculus of variations or any math past algebra?

metals for babys

I think his point was that an increment of 1/100 is utterly meaningless, especially when it's something as subjective as music

I can definitely see his perspective, and even though I somewhat agree with him, I've found myself raking two albums the same rank yet finding one slightly better, and since everyone else on the thread was assuming the same thing as I did, I might as well hop on.

bump