I work at a record store and can play absolutely anything I want at max volume all day long...

I work at a record store and can play absolutely anything I want at max volume all day long. Recc me stuff that'll impress my pretentious coworkers and customers.

Full disclosure, if it's made after 1991 I'll get laughed out the door.

Other urls found in this thread:

discogs.com/Various-Ultimate-Breaks-Beats-The-Complete-Collection/release/2440455
youtu.be/dSCwoYcp0IY
youtube.com/watch?v=tkbgtVFlyCQ
youtube.com/watch?v=HrPOWYeJTqk
twitter.com/AnonBabble

what comes after quints?

hexes

quick!

>Happy the Man - Crafty Hands

You can thank me later OP sama

what kind of pretentious OP, are these people posers or do they know shit about indie music

Posting top albums

Im not the OP but this is awesome, thanks man. Anything else similar? I'm always on the look out for older prog I haven't heard.

ayo

Drive

Hexes?

King Gizzard

Sextuplets

Play something artsy like Kate bush or Brian Eno.

This

i suppose so

Well then laugh at your coworkers and play something from the 90s that none of them have ever heard of. This is a pretty good krautrock album from 1992 that they might like

after 1991

I fucking new OK computer would show up here
was listening to when saw thread

Check out the youtube channel progline

No, they're all stupidly knowledgeable about music. Anybody that gives of a modern day hipster/fantano/mu type vibe is fired in less than a week. And again, anything made in the 90s or later is a joke to them

>not The Soft Bulletin

lmaooo get a load of this guy

I already play plenty of this, go deeper

download this and play everything: discogs.com/Various-Ultimate-Breaks-Beats-The-Complete-Collection/release/2440455

Hit 'em with some Eddie Murphy. Yes, that Eddie Murphy

this is looking great, i'll play it tomorrow

Brian Eno i guess

Who's

what about

Caetano Veloso

Will do, cheers.

jesus both are a fucking waste

Camille 2000
That's what I was listening to earlier
Yoshiko sai
Hiro yanagida
Automat

ayyy

Oh I got it! The Mahavishnu Orchestra - The inner mounting flame

My fucking thread

play some Yellow Magic Orchestra, or anything from the three members or projects they've worked on pre-1990.

Haruomi Hosono's Pacific is a classic
youtu.be/dSCwoYcp0IY

Anything Faust, Big Black or Mingus. Good luck, my fellow pleb.

I play plenty of big black and mingus, faust is a good idea

Try some Zappa stuff, music hipsters love Zappa.
Try Freak Out or Burnt Weeny Sandwich or something

this 90s cutoff is very stupid, and you're a stupid person for wanting to ingratiate yourself with such a stupid work culture.

Way too mainstream, gotta dig deeper

It's not like its much of a restriction. Loads of good music was made before the 90s.

I agree, come into work, slap on some fucking radiohead and then beat the shit out of them and tie them up, lock them in the back with some pop station of full volume

>Full disclosure, if it's made after 1991 I'll get laughed out the door.
This is one of the most absolute stupid things I've read on this board

>1991 cut off year
>stupid knowledgeable about music
Why that year? Is it an audio production thing? Are these young people or a bunch of olds? Any stories you can share? Are they possibly testing you and people just haven't figured out the trick? Can I get a hint, like what country, about where this place is?
That sounds like a really toxic environment and I want to see something this cartoonishly hipster.
Sorry for all the questions, I'm just baffled by this level of elitism.
Suggesting Amon Duul II, A.R. Kane, and Massacre so I'm not just prying

>Ctrl-F
>No Henry Crow
Why?

just do some nekrophile rekords and quit because your idiot store has the stupid idea that 1990 is "the cutoff year", faggot. what does your store even stock? If it stocks large quantaties of material which had been released on/after 1990, then the charade is up for the fraud it are.

trout mask replica

Play some Héctor Lavoe
I have a feeling they are all pasty, fat, balding, with ponytails

Then try Mahavishnu or Tim Buckley or some "out" jazz like Andrew Hill, Eric Dolphy, Sonny Sharrock, and the like.

haruomi hosono Muji Original BGM

I learn more on a daily basis from these guys about music than I could ever hope to learn through self research. On my own time I listen to mostly music from the last 10 years, but when I'm at work I get to explore huge amounts of older stuff.

I completely agree that the cutoff is dumb, and I've had many arguments about the merit of modern music, but the store is the headquarters for a label too so I'm hoping to learn as much as I can about running an established and successful label so that maybe I can start my own someday.

but jazz is not good or interesting user.

Cuz music died in '92 right? I can understand not wanting stuff from the past few years but if something is 25 years old and that's too current I can already guess the smell of that place. Must and cat piss. And there's always little bits of things stuck to the floor that you can't get off.

youtube.com/watch?v=tkbgtVFlyCQ

Well thats where youre wrong, bucko

This is all the more reason for you to quit. They have nothing to offer you. You just don't understand that yet.

Better yet, burn it to the ground.

If you own a record store and can't listen to music after an arbitrary year then you should not be running a record store. Sorry OP but associating yourself with something like that is pretty shitty, kind of hope you get laughed out the door 2bh

Play field recordings of glaciers melting

tbqh I'm quite sure that OP and/or his co-workers are aware of Thomas Koner, and that this would not impress them.

But really, the store should cease to exist. It sounds like the worst of everything from "High fidelity", at least among the co-workers.

As I said , the store is also the headquarters for a label that was established in the late 70s and released about 200 albums before relocating in the mid 90s and ceasing to sign new bands. Now we just repress out back catalog and buy up defunct labels from the same era and geographic region and repress their stuff. Most of the employees are either old or have an old mentality when it comes to music. It's basically the case that they feel like they've experienced all that music has to offer, and no longer are excited to listen to fresh sounds or new ideas. Those of us who are young and interested in modern music keep it to ourselves. US, major city (3m+). I'll share stories if people are interested.

Does the label only do reissues of stuff that's obscure as hell? If so the owner did an interview with The Future of What and it sounds like what he's doing is really cool.
If that isn't the case and the label has new bands signed then the owner is retarded for refusing to play their own bands' music in the store.

play bands listed in "losing my edge" by lcd soundsystem. throw in some terry riley, steve reich, phillip glass, lamonte young, john cale, keith jarrett, brad mehldau, mahavishnu orchestra, talk talk, anything robert fripp, and a slew of jazz guitarists: bill frisell, metheny, marc ribot, john abercrombie, nguyen le, john scofield, etc etc

find the deep cuts from prolific jazz artists too (mingus, davis, art blakey), plus free jazz like ornette coleman, sun ra maybe. sprinkle in some more world music - letta mbulu, fela kuti, . if theyre racists just play graceland.

european jazz will score points too, stuff released on ecm is your best bet, check their compilations for stuff you like

t. son of a next level patrician

Ten Songs - I Hate Myself

play "god bless you tiny tim" the entire record

Try these albums

Food Brain - Social Gathering
Flied Egg – Dr. Siegel's Fried Egg Shooting Machine
Flied Egg - Goodbye
Speed, Glue, & Shinki - Eve
Speed, Glue, & Shinki - Speed, Glue, & Shinki

made this chart for u :)

I've been in this exact situation before too

I actually played losing my edge the other day to make fun of everybody

I once went into a record store to look for some stuff everything was dad rock or starter prog, and the black section was all the way in the back with about 20 albums . And they were playing Boston live . is it like that ?

very interested pls tell stories, i love tales of ridiculous elitism

Play Club da Esquina

I guess this post makes Irrelevant. Am very interested in stories, though.

youtube.com/watch?v=HrPOWYeJTqk

they have a pretty large dad rock section because that's what most people who go to these kinds of stores are looking for, but our soul, jazz, funk, and 80s hip hop sections are just as large

Name of store NOW

What about Latin/world section?

No.

Pretty Decent, could be larger though.

I fucking love that shit, was kinda mainstream, this could put off leet music faggs

jackass

We have semi-weekly informal lessons/tests of our knowledge, which involves our boss quizzing us on a specific topic that jumps into his head. We'll all gather around the counter and he'll start shouting questions at us and mocking us if we draw blanks. He'll think of something like "Give me 10 punk bands from Ireland formed between 1978 and 1985", and basically leap frog from topic to topic as it comes to him. Customers will gather around to listen or occasionally chime in, and when they do, if they're wrong he'll belittle them too. Very dry and sarcastic old dude, but he has a crazy amount of knowledge (a lot of it from actually being at the forefront of tons of different scenes). So we'll do this for about 3 hours and listen to all the bands we don't know.

"music from 1989 or earlier" still has a lot of room to work in; what kind of stuff do the old fogey assholes play when they're picking stuff? once you tell us that, do you want to IMPRESS them, UPSTAGE them, ANNOY them, or some combination of the 3? what's the bar we gotta clear here?

The Outsiders - CQ
Oxbow - King of the Jews
Miles Davis - Dark Magus
Max Roach - Bitter Sweet Percussion
Ryuichi Sakamoto - Thousand Knives of Ryuichi Sakamoto
Flux of Pink Indians - The Fucking Cunts Treat Us Like Pricks (not actually sure if that's a good idea but they let to play big black and faust so it's probably cool)
Swell Maps - A Trip to Marineville
these are pretty good

>if it's made after 1991 I'll get laughed out the door.

find a new record store

or pic related

more stories op this is my dream. whats the pay like/ how old are you/ whats your favorite album after all this

If he's charming or witty with his bantz this could be a great time.

Ok here is a story. One time a teenager(around 14) came into the store. He went almost straight for Radiohead's OKC, then he looked around for a bit but I knew he was definately going to get the Radiohead Record. After like 15min he came up to the counter to purchase it and I rung it up. It was like 25 bucks. Then he proceeds to open his backpack and grab multiple bags of coins, one full of quaters, and another full of pennies and one more full of nickels. He hands them to me and wants to pay with them. I have had a long day and I don't feel like it so I ask to take a bathroom break and someone else comes over to help checkout. Then he realizes that he's paying with all coins. He isnt happy but counts them up and even the pennies. Finally all of the coins have been counted but there is one dollar left to pay. So the kid pulls out his wallet full of cash and takes out one dollar bill. Then the cashier says right before he leaves, go back to listening to your overrated hipster bullshit.

bump

newfag

these people sound like cunts.

Not a lot of repeat customers eh?

Jesus he sounds pretentious.