Grew up wanting to be a doctor but never happened

Grew up wanting to be a doctor but never happened

Thinking about getting my EMT-B cert for the hell of it

Thoughts?

Shits hard and the jobs are shitty, but you'd be helping folks

I actually already have work, this would be more so for survival reasons I guess, I spend a lot of times outdoors

why not go for nursing

career fireman emt-b.....

this is what emt entails:

o2
neck collar
stop the bleeding
telling the paramidicks how to do their job

I'm already doing engineering

I just want to learn how to help someone if they're having a medical emergency with no equipment

do you ever cringe?

almost daily

But don't you get payed handsomely? I think that be worth it

And saving lives as well

volley fireman and carrer emt here. do it, its a great learning experience and it is very easy just dont be a complete fuck up. and dont go career with it. i fucking loved it untill i became a paid emt.

The fireman, tells the PARAMEDIC what to do?
Riggghhhtttt.

i think what he ment was doing everything while the medic sits on their ass.

In the same boat OP, wanted to do something in medicine but ended up studying Software engineering instead.

but seriously dude i know alot of emts and medics that went into nursing and medicine. its very lucrative. i thought about it but i dont care for the hospital setting.

Do you recommend a 12 week online course or a 3 week intensive program?

I don't really have time to take a class

Do it Sup Forumsro. I was sailing my boat this summer and witnessed a guy slip and hit his head then proceed to have a seizure. No one at the dock knew how to help and medical team was across a lake. You never know

If I were to want to change courses and go towards a physicians assistant would an emt-b be a good choice to get hours to get into the school? Already have bachelors so that requirements out of the way

Yeah I think its a great skill to have, I feel like more people need to know how to deal with situations like this.

Paramedic here...

EMT-B is a stepping stone, you will get to see shit, but not do as much to really "save a life". EMTs are generally the ones to carry and transport.

You can get a taste of the medical field. I recommend working for a busy urban area so you can hone your skills faster

yea pretty much.....i know pretty much everything the "street doctor" should be doing before he even asks....sometimes experience is better than paper.....im just not liscensed to push drugs in my state....also....there aint no one on the job that can tell me what to do.....

Thought about getting my EMT b also. Here in Oregon it's hard finding ambulance companies who want people fresh out of school.

That's probably the only reason that is stopping me from getting the certification.

It's even harder not knowing anyone in the field who does this work. All my family is in administration and I don't want to sit behind a desk all day and do excel spreadsheets.

Who knows, probably end up working Armed alarm response or some shit.

How much more certification does paramedic need?

Isn't it emt-b, emt-a, then para?

is emt-a worth anything?

Can always go to school for something besides MD/DO. Could look into DDS/DMD, OD, DPM, PA, BSN/NP... Lots of highly respected medical fields that pay well and have good scope of practice.

Being cocky is going to get someone killed...

Like giving the wrong on Wolff-Parkinson-White

why the fuck do you idiots use that symbol?

Do the EMT thing and if it works for you then do the medic thing. If that works for you then do critical care or flight medic. Just always keep in mind that your career will probably end with you tearing out your back or shoulders. Always keep learning and moving to jobs that are less physically demanding. For example, doing critical care transfers from hospital to hospital is less lifting (more help available) than slinging lizard after lizard all day long doing BLS transports. I am 48 and i have been in EMS 30 years and a paramedic 15 of those. I am very lucky that my back and shoulders are still good. I am going back to school. Not because i don't like my job---I love it---but no one retires from this job. You either go out on disability and live in poverty for the rest of your long miserable life or career change.

Take the long course. Short courses are hell.

Finally, if respect is at all important to you then be a doctor. EMTs are as respected as mall security and paramedics are like armed security guards ( and paid about the same). The hero bullshit you see on tv is total fucking bullshit. Don't think you are going to be a hero. Yes, you may save a life but 99% of the time you are a glorified taxi driver and respected about as much.

In my area (Northeast) EMT-B is like 3-6month course
And then Paramedic is a 2 year degree, the pay bump is worth it, but you can make more as an RN in about the same time (except they only hire BSNs now...)

Bunp

Just got my EMT cert. My course wasn't that hard. If you've got brains and any drive to actually study, it's easy. I'm getting ready to get hired at a fire house and I'm looking at two 24 hour shifts a week. Not the best pay, but room to grow and an experience. Go for it broham.