/u2/ - U2 general

discuss the lovable lads from liverpool. who's going to the joshua tree tour?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=70VTqxv6Bpg
youtube.com/watch?v=CzkFJ2FED-I
youtube.com/watch?v=jpR9t4ZZfAo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Potato fag here. Yeah I know U2 suck blah blah blah but JT era U2 were GOAT, and I couldn't get tickets for the croke park gig because it sold out in like 5 seconds. Anyone who knows U2 knows that croker is the only place to see them

I would kill to see them anywhere in Europe. seems like they approach Europe and their European shows in a totally different way than America

Sup Forums has taken the U2 pill user

I grew up listening to Joshua Tree. One of the first albums I loved. Have a copy in my car.
I saw them at the TCF bank stadium at the University of Minnesota a ways back.
It rained but they continued to play and over all I would say it was a good show.
Also Interpol opened and they were really good too.

I love this band because of how they compose. They have such a great voice/chemistry. It's such a shame their last album wasn't that good but man, I'd kill for those composition skills

SEXY BOOTS

I wish they would start releasing new stuff so Adam Scott Aukerman would have a reason to reunite

apparently Songs of Experience was ready for release but they postponed it to do the Joshua Tree 2017 tour

I remember the day that song came out. I'm still triggered.

Old man of Sup Forums (57) I have seen U2 perform live 5 times starting with the "ZOOTV Outdoor Broadcast Tour" when it played in Las Vegas. It was hands down the best live performance I ever witnessed. The below YouTube performance gives me feels and nostalgia. 2 hour plus long shows was the norm for this tour

youtube.com/watch?v=70VTqxv6Bpg

I remember hearing that opening riff and thinking it was going to be another Vertigo-type smash hit

Then he starts singing

Can anyone tell me the names of the members of U2?

Riff was pretty tight, but production was awful and lyrics/chorus even worse. Of course that was the third album where used that kind of track as a main promo single ("Elevation", "Vertigo" on the previous two).

Magnificent would have been a much better lead single.

>Liverpool

Why is no one saying anything about this

Bonzo
The Line
Lars Ulrich
Flea

faggot whiny bullshit that all sounds the same

Wait a minute... Are you talking U2, to me?

Larry Mullen Jr.
Paul Hewson
David Evens
Adam Clayton

Cause we knew it was a joke

sad thing is it's a really solid album that everyone remembers for one disaster of a song. Drop Boots, Stand Up Comedy, and I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight and that album stands with anything they've done

Fun Fact: the 360 tour was originally called the Kiss the Future tour after the opening lyric in Get On Your Boots because they thought it was going to be a huge hit and had to change it when it bombed.

I love Bono's weird little Zoo TV characters

Sad. But they were so big in their previous album/tour/promotional era of 2004 - 2007 that you almost can't blame them for thinking that no matter what turds that shit out, it would still be a massive hit.

Kendrick Lamar - ALBUM
Composer List from iTunes “Get Info” section after you preorder and click “Show Complete Album”

Track 1: K. Duckworth, D. Tannenbaum & Anthony Tiffith

Track 2: K. Duckworth & M. Williams II

Track 3: K. Duckworth, M. Spears, D. Natche & Anthony Tiffith

Track 4: K. Duckworth, M. Spears, J. Blake & R Riera

Track 5: K. Duckworth & M. Spears

Track 6: K. Duckworth, D. Natche, M. Spears, Anthony Tiffith & T. Martin

Track 7: K. Duckworth, S. Lacy, A. Wise & Anthony Tiffith

Humble: K. Duckworth & M. Williams II

Track 9: K. Duckworth, D. Natche, M. Spears, C. Hansen, A. Sowinski, M Tavares & L. Whitty

Track 10: K. Duckworth, Z. Pacaldo, T. Walton, M. Spears, G. Kurstin & Anthony Tiffith

Track 11: K. Duckworth, M. Williams II, D. Natche, M. Spears, Anthony Tiffith, P. Hewson, D. Evans, A. Clayton & L. Mullen (U2)

Track 12: K. Duckworth & D. Maman

Track 13: K. Duckworth, R Riera, M. Spears, D. Natche, D. Tannenbaum, Anthony Tiffith & R. LaTour

Track 14: K. Duckworth & P. Douthit

>tfw like No Line On The Horizon but nobody else seems to
At least we can all agree it was much better than the piece of shit they threw up onto everyone's iTunes.

U2/KENDRICK COLLAB CONFIRMED

The only thing that genuinely disgusts me about U2 is that part of their early fanbase was the gay scene but the second they got popular, they were fine admitting they don't like gays

No Line wasn't that bad. It's just got a really cheesey lead single. That Cedars of Lebanon song is sick as fuck though.

I fucking hate U2, mostly because of Bono. He gives Christianity and Europe and music and sunglasses the worst possible name.

you poppin' my stones bro?

kill yourself

>U2
>sucks

bonobos
thedge
larry millen sr's son
adam claytwothousandpounds

I stand by my opinion that the ZooTV tour is the single greatest tour by a rock band. All four of them were on the top of their game, the setlists were great, every song was improved with the live version, and not to mention the whole infoxication concept and the characters that Bono pretended to be for each concert
>tfw you will never see Bono in his prime come out as MacPhisto and completely lose himself in the character and performance

I like most of U2's albums (including some of the post-2000s ones, but I believe 100% that if they called it quits after Achtung Baby/ZooTV they'd be considered one of the greatest bands of all time. They really fucked up their legacy by going full dadrock in 2000 and refusing to change their sound with each album afterward. We almost got an experimental album with No Line on the Horizon with Brian Eno being super involved and the songs having heavy mediterranean/middle-eastern influences but they got cold feet and were afraid of poor sales so they stuck on a bunch of shitty generic rock songs like Get On Your Boots and that one song produced by Will.i.Am, which ended up bringing the album down a lot quality wise. At least they've admitted since that they fucked up, but it sucks knowing how good that album could have been. Moment of Surrender is one of the best songs they've written but no one knows about it since its buried under a shitty tracklist and awful filler. I ended up making a version of the album a few months ago with better sequencing and the filler songs removed and it's a huge improvement.
>pic related

It's so fucking true though.

Even musically, they have literally five good songs, tops.

>Still Haven't Found
>With or Without You
>Magnificent
>Bad (but only the live version)
>and MAYBE Sometimes You Can't Make it on Your Own

are you blue turtlin' me?

>not a single song from Achtung Baby

have you listened to that album at least? generally considered to be their masterpiece (well that and The Joshua Tree) and everyone I know who says they hate U2 I've had listen to to Achtung Baby and every single time they come back to me telling me how great it is

no line on the horizon is literally great - title track, magnificent, moment of surrender, cedars of lebanon... it's just those middle 3 songs that are really unfortunate

>ignores u2's first four albums when they were actually good
>includes two post-2000 songs
woof user

I had a friend that had the biggest boner for U2 and they said the same. Achtung Baby is fucking weird man. Joshua Tree only has the good songs I listed. Overall, although I don't really love any of them, I'd say their best album is Atomic Bomb (or whatever the full name is).

have you seen the Zoo TV Live From Sydney video? One of the greatest concert films of all time. MacPhisto is fucking great in how unashamedly weird it is.

is this an episode of i love i love films?

>their best album is Atomic Bomb

holy shit really? I think most U2 fans consider that to be their worst album by far, it's them at their peak bland dadrock style.

by any chance are you a 53 year old soccer mom

this tracklist is fantastic, i'm going to put it together

I did the same thing with Pop as well. It sucks that they fucked up announcing the tour before the album was finished since most of the songs ended up being put on the album unfinished. I know they wrote the chorus to Last Night On Earth the night before the album was due to be delivered to the label. What's worse is that Pop doing worse commercially than their previous albums is what made them stop doing something different with each album and stick to the same sound from that point on. At least all of the songs that weren't finished were completed for the single mixes
>dat outro to the single version of Please
chills desu

Breathe is the acoustic version, but aside from that the rest of the songs are the album versions. Soon->Moment of Surrender works so fucking well, not just as a transition between the two tracks but as the opening to the album. It's gr8 m8

Scott Aukerman also put together a pop tracklist on UTU2TM that's pretty good

1. Pop Muzik (Crossfade after 5 Minutes into Mofo)
2. Mofo
3. Do You Feel Loved
4. Discotheque (Hexadecimal Mix) from The Best of 1990-2000
5. Last Night on Earth (Single Version)
6. North and South of the River
7. Staring at the Sun (New Mix) from The Best of 1990-2000
8. Gone (Mike Hedges Mix) from The Best of 1990-2000
9. Please (Single Version)
10. If you Wear That Velvet Dress
11. If God Will Send His Angels (Single Mix)
12. Wake Up Dead Man

Frustrating because there's so much good stuff on Pop. Even just dropping Miami and Playboy Mansion gives you a pretty solid album.

That's pretty interesting. Yeah, I mean, obviously because I do kind of hate them, I haven't listened to many albums by them.

I've heard
>Atomic Bomb
>Joshua Tree
>No Line on the Horizon
>Achtung Baby
>The Unforgettable Fire
>half of the iTunes abortion one

Just... not a fan. Granted, it *does* have a lot to do with my hatred of Bono. But like I said, I like five, maybe six songs.

Also, any band that produces "Womanfish" can't be considered good, right?

that episode was actually what inspired me to make my version of the album actually. I think I used the single/best of mix for every song that was given that treatment except for maybe Staring at the Sun.

I've been thinking about replacing If You Wear That Velvet Dress with the version of the song they recorded with Jools Holland, it blew me away when I first heard it. It's almost like a Bond theme:
youtube.com/watch?v=CzkFJ2FED-I

The only issue is it might seem out of place with that style of music coming right before Please and Wake Up Dead Man, but I'll listen to it start to finish with that version replacing the album one and see if it works

the first result if you google "U2 Womanfish" is a quote by them where they denounce the song and say its the worst song they ever wrote. Regardless though, it was never released, so I don't know why it should ruin their entire career. The Beatles had some awful songs that were never released, and even some songs that were released like Wild Honey Pie and Revolution 9. Does that mean they're a bad band? No

Christ, I was joking. U2 fans take everything so seriously, just like Bono

youtube.com/watch?v=jpR9t4ZZfAo

wow, that's a fantastic version that completely blows away the album version

I think it would work well in front of Staring at the Sun, and then just let Miss Sarajevo go into Please

saw them w/ my whole nuclear family when I was 13 on the 360° tour. It was completely fucking sick, and I wasn't even familiar w/ the album cuts of Achtung Baby at the time, bc I thought U2 weren't worth looking into, but they were celebrating the 20th anniversary of AT as well as touring NLotH, so lots of AT in the set list. Um, I'm grateful for that live show. I'm ambivalent about seeing popular music live nowadays because I'm not part of your crowd/masses or whatever, but I was really glad to have that experience with the family.

good idea actually, I'm gonna listen to it that way in a few. The only issue is I liked having the first 5 songs of the album be the "high" and the last 5 songs be the "crash", but that's kinda thrown off by having Last Night On Earth as the first song on the second half. Whatever, it's more important how the album sounds as a whole rather than it working as a very loose concept album

Why cut Mofo/If God Will Send His Angels? Those are the best songs on there.

I've never really been a big fan of Mofo, but If God Will Send His Angels was pretty close to being on it. I just felt like having that and If You Wear That Velvet Dress both on the album would be weird since their titles are so similar, even if the songs are completely different. Plus once I finalized the tracklist I felt like it worked just right as was with the flow of the songs feeling really natural, even if that meant losing IGWSHA

It would be easier to take a joke if we weren't just coming out of a period where people unironicly made threads about how U2 was the worst band ever because South Park sparked entirely unwarranted hatred for the band.

What do you guys think of this?

I love it, I'm a huge fan of Eno's ambient stuff. It kind of feels like where they might have gone in an alternate universe where they didn't get scared into going back to basics with ATYCLB

Miss Sarajevo is a classic too. Though Elvis Ate America is probably the worst song they ever made

Your Blue Room is in my top 5 U2 songs. It's also ridiculously fun to listen to stoned

I have a copy of this on DVD. And i watched it when it was partially aired on FOX if I recall.
Don't ghet me wrong. I liked the Sydney performance. I'm the old guy who saw the ZOOTV performance in Vegas. I'm more partial to the Adelaide performance. But mostly because it is closer to what i actually saw live myself. I also have the bootleg of the Washington D.C. performance of ZOO but the production of course is not nearly as good.

jump the 1:14:36 ,,,Epic