Hey Sup Forums, have any of you guys ever got psychiatric help for things like depression and anxiety disorders?

Hey Sup Forums, have any of you guys ever got psychiatric help for things like depression and anxiety disorders?

I went to a psychiatrist as a teeneger and it seemed like a waste of time and money then, but I'm considering trying it again with another doctor because my life has been sucking too hard, my loneliness is killing me and I don't want to deal with this anymore. Please tell me your experiences; did it work?

Also, general feels thread I guess

lol this thread gonna die but user if shits rough and you gonna kill yourself or w/e get help lifes a bitch then u die might as well find what little joy you can

bumping
>writing story

being this edgy for no reason.
the reason why it seemed like a waste of time then is because you weren't ready for it. now you are, the proof of that is that you initiated it. go and dont try to judge it as unhelpful, give it a try.

guess i'll bump

what makes you think i'm being edgy? because i'm telling him the truth?

Nope. Depressed all my life. No shrink or benzos ever made it better. A partner made it worse.

Suck it yp and live with it.

>be aspy, not know it
>loner all through school/bullied/etc
>severe depression, anger issues, no friends
>stream of anti-depressants and therapists
>nothing helped
I'm now 25, and find that I can work through the mental problems I have better if I'm high on weed instead of any of that crap those doctors will give you.
As for being alone; I hired a whore a couple weeks ago. Have another "date" with her this week.
And suddenly, all my problems seem a whole lot better.

I've been prescribed countless antidepressants over the years, none of them worked, prescribed 4mg of Xanax for the last 6 years or so, I'm not depressed but idgaf about anything as long as I got my meds and some beers. Life's good.

i was diagnosed with general anxiety disorder, depression and at risk of becoming a full blown alcoholic the doc prescribed me klonopin, pregabalin, escitalopram, and other med whose name i cant remember, nowadays i just quit all that shit cold turkey , i was feeling awful taking all that.

yeah i went to therapy for a few years and stopped cause i couldn't afford it anymore. it felt nice being able to talk to someone, the first few sessions are sort of slow because you're probably nervous and not sure what to even talk about. you get more traction after 3-4 sessions and by then you can determine whether it's actually beneficial to you. speaking from my personal experience, they weren't able to really give me any direction. i went at a time where i really needed guidance and was hoping someone could steer me in the right direction by telling me what precisely i needed to do but that's not really how it worked. they can definitely tell you what to do, but not really how to do it - if that makes sense. i had really bad ocd and i needed to figure out how to get out of the hole i dug myself, but they couldn't set goals for me. if they told me to do something i wasn't comfortable with and ended up killing myself or something i'm pretty sure they could be held liable. so be prepared at first for them to push that you need to eat properly, exercise and probably mindfulness meditation. it sounds super cliche but really those are 3 big things that can make a difference if you follow them very strictly. other than that though, depending on who you're talking to they can for sure be a good resource of information and give you help. a big part of it is who you actually talk to, some therapists are better at dealing with certain types of people than others, so if you do decide to go and you have a bad experience, try speaking with another couple therapists before you give up.

i'd recommend giving it a shot, nothing to lose right? especially if you can get a few free sessions with your health insurance or whatever depending on where you live. granted, community funded psychologists aren't going to be as good as the ones that cost $200/hr but depending on your problems, you may not need the one that costs 200/hr anyway.

Been on zoloft for 2 months, and started seeing a psychiatrist after completely fucking up my life.

Only thing I regret is that I didn't do it sooner.

i would recommend it for the people who lost all hope and want to commit suicide. the meds work wonders at bring out people of the bottom hole.

I have received a diagnosis of Generalised Anxiety Disorder after I just stopped and could not function with stress from anxiety. A psychologist will not tell you what is the right and wrong thing to do with your life, but depending on their treatment they should be able to help you. I found Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (i.e. challenge and try to remove negative thoughts) and a mindfulness strategy (i.e. you accept these feelings and minimise their impact on you) were both helpful to me. It all depends on the individual and whether you are ready to move on for the treatment as well as its success.

Just remember that if you do not find the right psychologist it is acceptable to find a new one, as you are paying them and if you are not going to work well with them there is no point continuing treatment with that person.

you should try out new things like mentioned above, working out/eating healthier etc, i know it's cancer af but if you're strict with yourself you're actually gonna be able to turn everything in a different direction with the right mindset. if you hate yourself for whatever reason you might benefit from thinking big time ego (e.g put yourself in a bubble where you tell yourself that you're better than everyone else/ignore everything bad. (clearly it sounds like a top shelf fuckboy fuck-attitude, but it might actually help in terms of isolating all the shit outside your "bubble". Ofc don't act it out, just tell it to yourself and do your shit Sup Forumsro") good luck, and remember that when shit is at at the darkest point of no return, theres ALWAYS someone who's sitting in a redroom/dungeon with bullet holes on their body))

also be careful with the drugs. some people right off the bat just want to get you to try different mood elevators and stuff. depending on your personality it can be a slippery slope. i personally don't like taking drugs over long term periods of time that are supposed to "fix" your seratonin levels. i tried citalopram for like 3 years and it was weird. i felt different but didn't feel myself. that's my opinion though, it might work for you.

i tried benzos when i was at my worst and since i wasn't in the right frame of mind i had abused them just to get away from my problems. would get through my work day and then come home and take a bunch of klonopin and drink and smoke but that's not gonna get you anywhere so i heavily suggest not doing that.

fast forward a few years of not taking meds at all (other than smoking weed), and i'm taking valium every so often. i push myself as hard as i can every day and only use it on the days where i actually need it. a month's supply could last me half a year just because i try and avoid taking it unless it's actually a bad day.

i hate even saying this because i don't like to be part of the "weed culture", but smoking pot combined with mindfulness meditation really helped me realize what goals i needed to achieve and see what actually mattered in life. also considering the amount of shit i've been through, the trivial shit i see coworkers or people on facebook stress about is fucking laughable. it feels good to have overcome a lot because at the end of it, it's really fucking hard to actually have a bad day going by society's standards.

Tried it out, did not work for me. I didn't do it for myself as much as friends, family, and my doctor wanted me to give it a shot. I decided that I am just not the same as most people to the fact that I don't show or display the same emotions they do, I am stoic. I don't care to be around people for long, I prefer my own company most of the time, save seeing friends once in a while. I don't think I have depression, I just generally don't derive happiness from shit like most people do. They(doctors, psychs) kept saying it was my childhood, the shit I went through, I don't believe that. Just because some fucked up shit happened does not mean I am fucked up from it, of course it affected me but I don't recall being any different before. I do have extreme anxiety, but the has only really been prevalent the past couple years. Medications are shit and do not help, I felt worse after taking them. I am not saying I am a special snowflake, I just don't have the same desires and reactions that most people do. I am introverted and like it that way, I feel drained after being around people, but I don't feel as though I am mentally inept for being such. I am not a social retard either, I fine with people, I just don't care to be around them. A misanthrope I guess is the best word to use.

dont be afraid to make dreams for yourself user

OP here
I guess I may as well try it, better than just wallowing in my misery for the rest of my life I guess. Thanks, Sup Forums really can be nice sometimes.

Maybe 'schizoid' would be a better word for you? I guess isolation is not a bad thing if it doesn't make ou unhappy or affects your life negatively (like keeping you from getting a job or something), and people should not make you feel like you're in the wrong for it, but that is not how I personally feel about it. I'm tired of feeling like I am undeserving of being happy or finding love, man. This isn't ok.

This kills me. I really need to get around to reading Berserk some day, I keep postponing it because I always feel like shit.

i read it when i was really depressed but i felt there was a lot of dialogue that's encouraging. you can also interpret it to be more depressing, but it's all how you make it.

for all the people i saw and talked to, schizoid came up but was disregarded. I was told to try joining the military, so I could travel while gaining training for another job. But I was unable to for physical health issues. I don't avoid people, I would just prefer to not be around them. I dont think they were trying to make me feel wrong for it, they were just concerned, nonetheless I barely talk to them anymore.

> I'm tired of feeling like I am undeserving of being happy or finding love, man. This isn't ok.

Sometimes just a counselor helps with that, don't go straight into medication. I felt fucked up after taking them. Trying talking to a professional who's job is work out these things by talking to you. If that does not work then maybe the next step is to try out some medication. I am not against it, but i feel doctors and psyches prescribe it all too soon and cause more damage because of it. Seeking help is not a weakness, refusing yourself access to a better happier life is.