Thoughts on this album? How has it aged? Is it over/under rated in your opinion?

Thoughts on this album? How has it aged? Is it over/under rated in your opinion?

I love Piper but prefer Madcap Laughs and Saucerful of Secrets. Some would say the tracks on the second half are dated, others say it's part of the charm.

I'VE GOT A BIKE

YOU'RE THE KIND OF DUBS THAT FITS IN WITH MY WORLD

Why'd you have to leave me there Hanging in my infant air
WAITING

unironically one of my favorites on the album

Same, it's an excellent song and works very well as a closer desu

you're unironically one of my favorites user :3

Probably more overrated than underrated since this is the popular contrarian Floyd album.

That being said it's a fantastic record, Interstellar Overdrive blows my mind every time I hear it.

It's brilliant

LIME AND LIMPID GREEN A SECOND SCENE

Still one of the GOAT psychedelic records. Syd set the bar pretty fucking high.

In case people didn't realise, there are elements missing in the stereo version of the album which are heard in the mono version, so mono (like with so many albums from the mid '60s) is the way to go.

ALONE IN THE CLOUDS ALL BLUE

Overrated, but good. Madcap is much better.
>there are people who don't judge floyd albums by frontman era

I think it's great but there are so many annoying signatures of early psychedelic music I can't really enjoy it completely. It's also poorly produced and clips frequently which pisses me off. Plenty of great songs though. I would recommend their early singles comp to any Syd Barrett fan.

I couldn't find it in mono. I have 3 stereo rips. I thought floyd has always used stereo?

You haven't really heard it until you've heard it in MONO!

>Thoughts on this album?
Generally good but marred by too many of Syd' mediocre pop songs. The best tracks are the band-oriented psychedelic jams like Astronomy Domine, Pow R. Toc H. and Interstellar Overdrive
>How has it aged?
Clearly important for its time but musically it doesn't stand up too well compared to other psychedelic records. I'd say not too badly.
>Is it over/under rated in your opinion?
Overrated.

Saucerful is the superior album.

LUCIFER SAM
SIAM CAT

When Piper came out, it was during the time before Stereo was widespread, since stereo systems were so widespread and recording tape only went to 4 tracks, which made panning hard. This meant people would normally do a stereo and a mono mix, with the mono mix
Being the priority.

A lot of old Beatle records have the same issue, only finding mono mixes of those records is way easier for some reason.

*weren't so widespread

Fuck.

Why on EARTH is my Dad so against this album if he claims to be a Floyd fan? Every time "Interstellar Overdrive" gets going, he ALWAYS talks about how fucking infinitely better the Dark Side of the Moon is!

>and by the way, stereo version > mono

>and by the way, stereo version > mono
how so?

It's my favourite album of all time. Everything from beginning to end is a beautiful psychedelic masterpiece, never heard anything like it. Saw Astronomy Domine played live by Gilmour in 2015 and fucking cried like a bitch. The band would have never gotten as popular with Syd, but i really wish he would have stayed. It has aged really well, cause you still see bands copying them (Tame Impala is a good example). It's a little underrated imo, not on Sup Forums but in the mainstream.

Stereo version of Interstellar has that sick effect on the end where it sounds like the music is swaying from left to right channel back and forth. Besides, you really need to be able to use both channels to experience how spacey it really sounds. Nothing wrong with the mono version though if you prefer that, but i think the stereo version is how it was initially intended as.