BADBADNOTGOOD

Thoughts on these modern masters?

I'm awed; love everything from them so far.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=baMNIzK7bWg
youtube.com/watch?v=fDwCDAf4wyM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

They are a bit up and down. Their covers are better than the stuff they write

I've found that if you go into listening to their music expecting jazz that all of their albums are very disappointing and lazy.

If you go in expecting hip hop, they're decent.

Take that for what it's worth.

THis
/thread

They're ok. If you already listen to jazz or other variants, they sound amateurish in comparison.

I agree with you on that.

Lazy, really? I think they have some virtuosic skills and consistently come up with good melodies. On the hip hop side, I'm just driven to nod along; fantastic percussion imo. Aside from that, if a hip hop act came out and they pulled this shit off, I'd personally rate them as much higher than 'decent.' Their live videos really sold me too. Thanks for the input.

Compared to other jazz trios they're really not too virtuosic at all, and I find their melodies to be too simple and disengaging. Actually it's not their sense of melody that's bad, it's their sense of rhythm that's extremely basic compared to the jazz players I like.

To compare them with real virtuosos check out Vijay Iyer, David Kikoski, or Craig Taborn. On the drumming side of things check out anything with Antonio Sanchez, Eric Harland, or Jeff Watts.

Definitely going to check these guys out, I appreciate that

It's jazz for faggits who think real jazz is for old people. Still good, but not real jazz

These first three artists you recommended are all obviously very talented musicians, but although I like their music at times they stay chained to jazz tropes just that aren't as pleasing melodically.
It seems like jazz purists can't/won't accept them because they stray from this classic jazz sound and hence aren't 'real jazz'. Although I think the argument could be made that they are, I don't think it matters. They just make great music with elements of both jazz and hip hop; and it's a beautiful fusion imo. I have jazz records and am into some, but I don't see what makes these classic sounding jazz guys any more virtuousic than BBNG doing new stuff with just as lively tempos and musical prowess. Maybe I don't have a trained ear for the nuance. Still going to listen to the drummers you mentioned.

David Kikoski yes, but what jazz tropes do Vijay Iyer and Craig Taborn "stay chained to"?

Has anyone here ever seen them play live? I'm considering going to a show

>"real jazz"
Ugh.

It's not that what defines jazz gets cut off at anything beyond the Hard Bop era, but i personally haven't heard anything from them that really challenges the tropes that define jazz. It just seems like some jazzy stuff thrown over a hip hop beat. Like I said, they're talented musicians, and their music is good, but they're frequently used as a cop out for "liking jazz"

One of the best bands to see live but I'm not rlly into their studio stuff

saw them live last summer, one of the best shows I saw at the festival

Everything they did in the songs I heard is nestled so comfortably within the expected jazz sound that it really could have been done by many other trios imo.

I think their use of electronic styles (some songs hint of Xploding Plastix), pop and even dance influence, while still still utilizing and producing an unmistakably jazz sound is exciting and strikes me as new. They certainly have a distinct sound, even if they don't break away completely from some customary jazz ideas.

Well what songs did you listen to?

The only reason I come into these threads is to laugh at people who are so mad they say they're not "real jazz"

See:

From where I'm sitting it seems like the only one who's actually mad is this guy and (you)

I heard most of the Vijay Iyer Tiny Desk performance, and Craig Tilborn's "All True Night / Future Perfect - Nancy Jazz Pulsations (2014)" link on youtube. If these aren't representative of their real overall output, then I'm making generalizations.

That said, I'm absolutely loving this youtube.com/watch?v=baMNIzK7bWg from Antonio Sanchez & Migration Band.

Well unfortunately ECM doesn't allow much of their stuff up on YouTube but if you want two very specific tracks to check out for Iyer and Taborn I'd recommend "Hood" by Iyer from his album Break Stuff and "Hot Blood" by Taborn.

I'd be very surprised if you found these tracks to be "nestled comfortably within the expected jazz sound" but if you're looking for something else really different but still virtuosic you should check out David BInney.

youtube.com/watch?v=fDwCDAf4wyM

God jazz fans are boring

BBNG2 was amazing, 3 was alright, 4 is not my thing.

They were great live, but the drummer kept actively fucking with the audience until they got mad.

I like how this band is popular with actual jazz students, but Topster jazzcore posters on Sup Forums act like they have to hate them to look cool.

>respectful disagreement and discussion
>offering recommendations and listening to them

>Hey check out this cool jazz band what do you think?
Well they're ok but here are some criticisms I have of their mus-
>JAZZ ELITISTS HOLY SHIT FUCK OFF WITH YOUR NOT REAL JAZZ BULLSHIT
>but I never even said anything about "real ja-"
>FUCKING ELITISTS YOU HAVE TO LIKE WHAT I LIKE

every time