What is your favorite MTG set and why?

What is your favorite MTG set and why?

4th Edition, because that's when I started playing back in the day.

New MTG has gotten strange, man.

Worldwake because I had my first mythic drop, Jayce the Mind Sculptor

Lorawynn (sp?) Was the main set I played during. 8th edition had my first deck. So all around those two years ish.

Khans
nuff said

The basement dweller set. Oh wait, that's all of them. Well shit.

Started playing during unlimited, played up through urza's saga, picked it up again right after avacyn restored came out but didn't really stick with it, only played through khans of tarkir and haven't really played much since. The Dark is probably one of my favorite sets even though it wasn't really all that great, the cards just had shitloads of cool flavor.

COD is more up your alley huh?

Absolutely 100% guaranteed underage, right here.

Probably any of the Urza block sets -- they had a lot of amazing combo/synergistic cards that let creative people do some crazy things. Don't like the heavy emphasis on creatures that MtG began to have in more recent sets.

Tempest

Apocalypse. Spiritmonger and Pernicious Deed.

For me, 2011 commander sets, Mirror Mastery and Devourer for Power specifically. It got me back into the game initially, and I have been playing edh on and off since. I have six total now, but always keep my Mimeoplasm and Riku handy.

I liked the one with the egyptian gods.

i miss the core sets 2010-2015

>Base Sets
Beta and Magic Origins
Beta fixed the Alpha mistakes and Origins was a good set for drafting and had good cards. Revised - 9th were all awful.

> Expansions
Urza's Saga, Lorwyn, and Planar Chaos
Good cards in Saga, Lorwyn for drafting, Planar Chaos had interesting flavor with the switched colors.

> Special Sets
Commander 2011 and Unglued
2011 helped EDH to be popular and had EDH specific cards, Unglued was glorious and we desperately need another Un set.

Time spiral or lorwyn kamigawa is special mention

Yes, Legends and The Dark had a lot of hideously bad cards (and a few all stars), but there was interesting flavor and great art.

>i play mtg for the art

Lorwyn
Best set of all time
6x Lorwyn sealed is the format of Kings, if I ever have to duel the devil that's the game I'll choose.
Magic has been catastrophically downhill since.
>inb4 muh can't handle onboard tricks

Zendikar. Because thats when i fully got into the game, also full art lands ftw

There have been ups and downs, but I have not found a set by itself that can be drafted or sealed as well as Lorwyn.

Revised, its where I started collecting after buying a starter deck and a couple singles, wall of swords I think.

Of course it was on summer vacation and since you couldnt buy the cards back where I lived and no one else was into it, no one ever wanted to play with me. Think I have like 30k in cards now and I dont think I ever played a real person.

Moar pics!!!

Theros Because Minotaur

Probably 3rd or 4th editions. The Arabian Nights expansion is fun as well

Goblins and Gnomes

BfZ, mainly for that aesthetic

Mirrodin was good.
Odyssey was great
Innistrad is cool too

Ice Age because snow covered lands. Where did that idea go wrong?

Also, some of the most confusing text/mechanics in all MTG history. Ice Cauldron, seriously.

fuck off

I remember looking into this years ago, but can't entirely remember what it does.

Something along the line of putting cards from your hand on layaway until you can pay it off.

Time Spiral, for many reasons

Takir has had the best story so far in my opinion
idk Gatewatch is kinda cool i guess

Yeah, it's basically a savings account for mana, but you can only save for the cost of the card that you put on it. Can be effective if you have a high mana cost, but pretty much useless considering if the cost is that high you'll already have found another way to play it.

I just started playing, but I'm enjoying a warrior deck right now.

>TFW Damnation is Reserved, yet Wrath of God is still being produced
>MFW I have no face

good choice

bingo
morningtide was terrible though
> turns out when every card is a combat trick, you can't play around shit, so playing like an idiot is indistinguishable from being a grandmaster

Any Sup Forumstard know a good place to buy MTG cards for a decent price?

I don't know about "favorite", but Shard of Alara was when I really got into the game, and I really liked playing Esper. Return to Ravnica Azorius/WUb was fun as well

You'll note that those spells are different colors, and you'll also note that that literally makes all the difference.

Where can I get proxy cards that are hard to tell from the originals? I'll pay any price

They just printed it for the third time :^)

Combat is generally heavily emphasized in limited formats, so I understand what you mean.

I go to eBay, most recently listed, buy it now. Its quite hit or miss, but if you don't mind waiting you can get anything at its cheapest there.

Scars of Mirrodin block. New Phyrexia was THE shit.

It still isn't fair...and aren't they the same thing practically?

Use sn,ap,ch,at,y,co,m before it gets patched fellow Sup Forumsros!
Share pics that you got here

For limited: Innistrad.

Otherwise I dont know. I prefer Legacy in constructed. The rest is boring as hell.

Exodia MASTER RACE!

Cool cool, I ended up buying a set of 100 from WalMart and got a few decent things for $10. The only issue was all the cards were different, so it would be a weirder deck.

>i play magic for the story

>Unglued & Unhinged

Forgot those. Fun as shit with friends and/or drunk. Also conspiracy 2 was a blast.

EDH is great, but rather time consuming.

Legacy is my preferred format. Currently have 16 decks completed or within a couple of cards of completion.

I've had too much fun with friends about Force of Will and "being Blue"

If you can find a local game store, pick up some cheaper singles (commons & uncommons) to mold the deck, but the more expensive cards are cheaper online.

If you are really new and just want variety to choose from you can get the fat pack/bundles or even a Booster Box (online ~$85 is decent)

This picture pisses me off every time I see it, I know it's elfs. But what kind of shitty variation is this?

The different colors have different dynamics. Black has more kill spells than White. The spells are virtually the same, but have different arsenals surrounding them due to the different colors. So overall, it's not a fair comparison.

Had to pick witch one, but as someone who almost only drafts with modern here and there. I'd say the Un sets

I've dabbled all my life since 13 in 93. Invasion was special back then. Multicolors had come before but this block really pulled it together.

Sabertooth nishobas with cho-mannos blessing and armadillo cloaks for big table weekend beatdowns.

I went to a Friday Night MTG thing at my nearest hobby shop and bought somethings and molded a white/black deck mainly out of warrior cards. It's decent, but still was getting the hang of it while there.

Original Ravnica

Cool concept and I genuinely liked a lot of the mechanics introduced

Just sucks the game is garbage thanks to the new design philosophy they adopted

Tcgplayer is likely your safest bet. Plenty of people to buy from, I even got a full playset of promo serium visions signed for $10 because that markes them as lightly played by default

Best way is to keep playing, though tourney style can be off-putting for new players sometimes with the degenerate assholes that are littered throughout the community.

>Multicolors had come before but this block really pulled it together

Didn't think about that, but you're right. In Legends multicolor was more of a gimmick. Spend 8 mana in 3 colors for a vanilla 5/6 just because its gold.

Agree that it's the best set, disagree that it's all downhill.

Power creep is a problem with no solution. Seasoned players get excited over innovative mechanics, because they force new styles of play. Newer players can't grasp complex machanics and playstyles, not because they're poorer players, but because anyone's of the many rules of magic take time to hone. Wizards can't ONLY cater to seasoned players; they always want to expand their player base, and to get newer players excited takes big, powerful creatures, effects, and spells that are easy to understand.

The most exciting thing to me about the Battle for Zendikar block was colorless basic land. That's literally game-changing. But Eldrazi winter overshadowed much of the glory of a humble basic land.

Sure Wizards can, Hasbro is the reason they don't. The problem is when your focus is only on obtaining new players, you gain a new problem: Player retention.

bump

Stores should cater to pauper. It's cheap and makes it easy to get started.

What do you guys think of frontier?

Bump

>you will never live in Ravnica with a cute girl as your guild sponsor

Legends

Chandra rule 34???

I mix and match between life gain and life steal sets. Call me a bitch, but I wanna live. No matter the cost. This one's my favorite. Along with

this one.