/daily/ - Daily thread for daily music discussion

The point of these threads is to encourage people to look for new and interesting music. We do this by listening to and ideally discussing albums we've never heard before. Many of us already listen to new music daily, these people are in it to venture "out of their comfort zone" by listening to albums they otherwise wouldn't have, or just to have a good time.

Links:
neverendingchartrendering.org/
plug.dj/sdc-room-3-the-sequel
dailymu-sic.weebly.com/
discord.gg/8exuEmG

Previously, on /daily/:

Other urls found in this thread:

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/barn_owl/from_our_mouths_a_perpetual_light/
rateyourmusic.com/release/comp/skip-james/hard-time-killin-floor/
rateyourmusic.com/collection/stick_/recent/
youtube.com/watch?v=KZibd0rK50k
mega.nz/#!1wIQwTKC!IvSLsRtL-t2_tZif3UYl_4L0ve7XgfHnZfqrbPdh-_g
open.spotify.com/album/0r5dgoIb9dBd6fMdmYcYjk
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

i am so much better than everyone on this website and im still shit

does /daily/ like xxxtentacion?

OP text is too normal... I was so used to the hampuspasta

imsippinteainyohood is good
everything else is shit

nobody reads either lol

replace with the spork pasta (courtesy yours truly) if possible imho

Someone needs to save the different memepastas in the weebly

no that was weak

Comfy gelato smooth electronic album

wessup

tfw keep being too busy to shitpost

hey king

rare pic of givingbear irl

thats a straight up lie, avant loved it

Wew

Finished with this chart finally oh boy

What first

none of them

jk do Vladislav delay

art bears or the anthill

phil me up pham

redskins pls, you'll probably like CCCP more tho

Planxty - s/t

What should I listen to by James Ferraro? I love pic related, but I'm not sure what to try next.
Jungle Spliff my guy

Hi
Stinkerton sucks and the only good Weezer album is the first album
Bye

been filtering through my rym ratings and sorting through them so i can transfer my new opinions onto a new profile and everything will be new and i can't wait to be rym famous, please!

lemon of pink
ys
silver apples
space museum

stuff on yr backlog that stood out to me

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/barn_owl/from_our_mouths_a_perpetual_light/
Far Side Virtual i guess. it's an anomaly in his discog in some ways.

thanks dudes

hmm

quake soundtrack obviously

Bitch Magnet - Ben Hur
Fear Before the March of Flames - The Always Open Mouth

well sucs 4 u

wow dodged a bullet there

(I'll probably listen to these too)

Fear Before's p cool desu, 90s-sounding post-hardcore even tho it's from the 00s, and doesn't sound like any other post-hardcore band in particular (that im aware of), maybe DLJ + Unwound, like a mix of those, but vaguely at best
might plug that for my listenalong or something but thats dumb

I'll definitely give it a listen sometime soon anyway, I like post-hardcore a lot, though I haven't listened to much with big metal influences (going by the tags)

why did i bother listening to a 2012 Jah Wobble + Keith Levene album? Annoying thing is there are good parts as well as terrible

how about I do NONE of these and instead watch Seinfeld all day?

yeah I think I'll do that instead

How is /daily/ doing today?

I'm doing very bad, I hope y'all are better

fuck your recs, this is gonna be another freeform chart

Week 1:
QUITAPENAS - QUITAPENAS
>funk, soul, afrobeat, afro-latin soul
Stellar release from this little-known band from California. Like if Fela was more in tune with the juju/latin son people from West Africa and also made his songs shorter to appeal to an even wider audience.
4/5

Tomorrow's People - Open Soul
>funk, soul, disco
I honestly could give no shits about side A. Side B's where it's at for real. 22-minute-long disco-soul monster from out of NOWHERE. I thought it was a medley or something at first but NO. This is a full-on disco track that blows Funkadelic out of the water.
4.5/5

Elliott Smith - Either/Or
>indie rock, folk rock
I really wish I could like this, I really wanted to like this but I didn't like it. The vocals are definitely what broke this album. Their style is so dated! It's like someone made a terrible ripoff of Nick Drake but with no vocal training at all. I respect the hustle though, as well as the story behind the album.
2.5/5

Jerry Paper - Toon Time Raw!
>indie pop, hypnagogic pop
an interesting album to say the least, but that's about as much as I can say.
3/5

WU LYF - Go Tell Fire to the Mountain
>indie rock/pop
Nice indie pop. I liked most of it, but I'm probably not gonna come back to it soon.
2.5/5

Jackie Mittoo - Wishbone
>funk, soul, soca?
Insipid, though it has its moments. Lyrics ain't bad tho. A black spot on LITA's catalog either way.
2/5

Los Belkings - Instrumental Waves 1966-1973
>instrumental beat rock
Nice rock from Peru. I liked the first couple of tracks, and the Belkings do keep it interesting throughout, but the lack of vocals and soul really keep this release from being as good as it can.
3/5

I'm doing pretty ok. Got work in a couple of hours so I'm trying to get a few new albums in.

i was out in a lil cafe, their house cat was around my feet all the time and hopped on my lap for a bit, so my day was very good

>I'm doing very bad
blog about it if you will, that's what these threads are for

>that either or opinion
prepare for (you)s

oh right also wwiii so thats even better
nothing (you)worthy about that desu

>too lazy to heat up milk for my coffee on the stove
>microwave it after pouring it on my coffee
>my coffee is still lukewarm
>drink it anyway because fuck
music for this feel

>How is /daily/ doing today?
bad

lots of things not (you)worthy get (you)s every day

>The vocals are definitely what broke this album. Their style is so dated!
i like eliott smith as well as this album but i have to agree this vocal style is so dated. it's that late 90s - early 00s weird singer songwriter voice that drives me up the wall because so many indeh boys from that era have it

>Either/Or
>2.5/5

she got big titties

>Either/Or

I don't even like Elliott Smith and that album is great fight me familia

What happened to your rec chart?

cool, hope you get good stuff and enjoy it instead of shitting on classics

what kind of cat

my dad just entered the hospital for liver failure after being an alcoholic for years and im worried that he'll die

i also fucked my wrist playing basketball

>What happened to your rec chart?
I'm implementing the albums that I think I'll like along with some new listens into a freeform chart.

>hope you get good stuff and enjoy it instead of shitting on classics
either/or is a classic? :^)

>either/or is a classic?
I would argue so. Even if you don't like it it's a defining album of the 90s indie singer/songwriter era

damn sorry to hear that i hope hell get better

its been a good round

fire was a fire track and the rest was good too but it couldnt beat out autechre
didnt have the intensity of a night in tunisia but that would be pretty hard to achieve when you dont have a lineup as amazing as the one in that

Quiet Friday bump

>Thrift a few $0.50 Elliott Smith CDs
>Log the flip in to tell the boys
>Everybody talkin' shit about him

Have you losers never been sad?

>WU LYF - Go Tell Fire to the Mountain
this album is the worst
nice spiritualized CD
pink power
damn why did you dislike that grouper album so much

Have there been any good releases so far this year?

yes

Alright thanks.

And they are?

They are good releases

No problem!

so theres been no good albums this year? aight cool

>he doesn't know about it
heh

we're not letting you in on it
sorry

This could be just trolling but I've honestly not seen a decent album come out this year either.

this years been weak in terms of popular releases, the only thing i've liked that wasn't a bandcamp album was The Necks and it wasnt even that good

Don't think I'll ever make it through the Opeth album, not liking it so far...

[1/2?]

Eazy E - Eazy-Duz-It (1988)
>West Coast Hip-Hop, Gangsta Rap

Eazy E has probably the weirdest legacy I can think of in hip-hop. He was probably the vilest, most promiscuous member of the group and ended up contracting AIDS and dying in ‘95. As a result, it’s weird to go back to all his songs about sex and know that it was his downfall. That being said, he’s a really solid rapper, especially for the time and I found myself liking this album way more than I anticipated.

Eazy E has this super high pitched, almost Donald Duck voice which makes him hard to take seriously. He raps about all sorts of crazy shit but the old school production, paired with the vocals, makes it really cartoonish and entertaining. It feels way more lighthearted than other NWA releases which was a great change of pace. Eazy’s delivery makes this album feel hilarious rather than serious in any way. He’s got a bunch of great quotables (“Don’t quote me boy, cause I ain’t said shit”) that work so well in the context, I’m not sure why. Plus the remix of “Boyz-N-The-Hood” is so fun, with that great little piano UGK/TI would go on to sample in the future.

Drags a bit toward the end but this exceeded my expectations.

3.5/5

[2/2]

N.W.A - Efil4zaggin (1991)
>West Coast Hip-Hop, Gangsta Rap

In the period between Straight Outta Compton and this release, some shit went down. Gangsta rap seemingly exploded in popularity after SOC, with PE et al becoming the go-to style in hip-hop. Eazy E dropped his first solo record (above). And Ice Cube (the group’s best member imo) left because of contract disputes and because he basically wasn’t credited as a member. Dr Dre also improved dramatically - with this album serving as somewhat of a production prelude to The Chronic. It shows the roots of that heavy Dr Dre G funk that most people know him for. Definitely a big step up in that department.

Lyrically, it still has a lot of the shock value from SOC but honestly - not much else. It lacks some of the political commentary they decided to include on their last album and it’s a downside imo. There’s some talk about race politics, with the album name and about three different tracks including some variation of “niggaz”. There’s a focus on race relations and all that, which you’d expect - but it kind of comes off as forced at times. There’s also five skits on the album, none of which seem necessary. The biggest downside however - is pretty much the whole second side. There’s way too many awkwardly sexual songs. “One Less Bitch”, “Findum, Fuckum and Flee” (“Peter, Peter the Pussy eater?” Jesus this is bad) and “She Swallowed It” (stoooooop) are lame and really ruin what little flow this album had on the first half.

Has a lot of solid moments, especially on the production side but it’s kind of streaky compared to their other material. Ice Cube’s departure is way too detrimental, he really rounds the group out with his energy and political lyrics.

2.5/5

Campbell Irvine - Reunion of Two Bodies / Terms of Propaganda
>Tribal Ambient, Dub Techno, Electroacoustic, Glitch

Three tracks take up the entirety of this album.

Prism Split (A Scrying Song) is immediately tense, ancient, and busy. Electronics cry out like the birds of the forest, the primitive percussion of taut skin and wood beat away to an unseen dance-- the dance itself ritualistic, but also a bit too pristine, and feels unnatural. The rhythm swings, smoothly emphasizing what it wants from the continuous percussion, be it the downbeats or the rattling in between thumps.

Reunion of Two Bodies abandons the organic percussion for something more like Andy Stott's older material. German spoken word pops up about a minute in, to be melodically sampled as the track moves forward. Not as heavy as Prism Split, nor interesting; much more like a traditional house track.

Terms of Propaganda is a monstrous 50 minutes of drone, tribal dance, and improv. Singing bowls, chants, gongs, bells, chimes, toms, hums, and a plentiful amount of synth textures aim to keep a listener's interest throughout the whole thing. It was as if the the listener were looking down from the cable car on the cover art at an earth unknown to them. It gets a bit tiresome, even with the wobbly breakdown of flute and string halfway through. Still, there are portions of it that I found particularly tasty (past the 36 min mark or around the 10 min mark), but I don't think it's worth a listen unless you really like the genre, or if you want 50 minutes of background thrums.

6/10

look harder m8e

Also bumping with my 2017 chart b/c I need to remind myself to catch up with more stuff from this year. Might scope out the new Thundercat or Spoon album later and see if they're any good idk

I haven't heard a single release from 2017 yet lol. I'll prob check out the new Sun Ra release soon, and I'm pretty hype for new Gas and Colin Stetson though.

>listening to post-war music

???

Skip James r cool, the pianee songs add some nice variation. I think I need to check out his more recent recordings though, I'm not one to complain normally but some of the distortion in parts was just unpleasant.

Some of Jah Wobble + Keith Levene was kinda enjoyable, showing glimpses of the bass and guitar work of their PiL days but some of the songs are bad and the vocals are universally terrible. It sounds like what you'd expect a record released by them this decade to sound like.

goodnite boyos

You listened to the shit version that has no purpose existing btw, delete it and get this one for the full '31 sessions from YAZOO plus some free early Son House.
rateyourmusic.com/release/comp/skip-james/hard-time-killin-floor/

goodnight bump

Best Coast - Crazy for You (2010)
>indie pop

Charmingly simplistic, but more often than not irritatingly daft and boring. "Boyfriend" is a good track, but it's really the only track on the album I enjoy that much. The songwriting here is incredibly weak, both lyrically and compositionally. Like an RYM review says, Cosentino is incredibly direct and unsubtle with her lyrics, with makes for a lot of really weak lines, and the melodies and choruses seem like they're all lifted from songs from the '90s that did this style ten times better. Decent summer listening, but unmistakably bland.

0.5+

Remo Drive - Greatest Hits (2017)
>indie rock, emo-pop

A pretty good emo-pop album in 2017, what the hell is going on? Certainly doesn't reinvent the wheel, and it gets pretty overberaingly "teenage" in the poppier moments of the album, but good emo captures teen angst in a bottle, and that's certainly done well here. It's angsty in a sarcastic, Weezer-esque manner, and the crunchy guitar lines and anthemic nature of the choruses don't do much to quell these Weezer comparisons. While this makes it a bit too derivative, it's enjoyable and catchy enough for that to not be a huge issue.

2.5+

Pusha T - King Push - Darkest Before Dawn: The Prelude (2015)
>gangsta rap, southern hip hop

Pusha is a great rapper, but his persona and the sound of this album is very, very one-dimensional. The distinguishable persona of Pusha certainly wears its course by the end of the album, and it's not even enough to carry a 30-minute long album. The beats are also quite good, but they blend together. They've all got the same detached, ice-cold sound, which is cool as hell, but only a few tracks carry the power that this sound and Pusha's delivery need, the excellent "Keep Dealing", especially. For the flaws it has, it mostly bangs despite it's limitations, and it gives me high hopes of what Pusha can do in the future as a solo artist.

2.5+

>Simon Finn - Pass the Distance
This album is awesome. The sheer amount of passion Finn brings on this album is so gripping, and it especially shows in Jerusalem. Jerusalem was really the highlight for me, with the beautiful backing guitars and organs backing over Finn's snarling. The rest of the album is awesome and super psychedelic too. Really enjoyed!
>Good Morning, Good Night
Ah, yes, the avant-teen meme album. I actually enjoyed it for the most part. I've never listened to onkyo before, but I thought this was a good introduction to it. I like the detailing of all the little sounds produced on this album, it keeps yr attention up. My favorite song was the last song, but a few parts of this album did bore me a bit. Still, very good
3.5-
>Supersilent - 6
I really can't believe these guys improved all of this. This is some really interesting and ethereal music. I find it kind of hard to describe the general sound of this album, since there's a lot of different sounds in it. I found myself lost in it towards the middle, and I didn't even realize it ended when it did. But, I still enjoyed!

/daily/ and Sup Forums in general seem to really hate Best Coast man. I guess I get it but that album is one of my favorite twee listens despite how simplistic it is. It's one of my gf's favorites though so maybe that's part of why I dig it so much.

Also, have you listened to any Clipse and/or other Pusha T? That's probably the weakest Clipse project I've heard aside from Til The Casket Drops.

Yeah, Pass the Distance is an awesome listen... Jerusalem blew me away the first time I heard it.

You should check out Plantasia or Bitches Brew soon btw, both some of my all-time favorites.

I'm so fuckin' drunk bois.
I spent the whole evening drinking beer and playing old time tunes with aome rad-ass fiddlers and my friend on banjo.
it was a boot-stompin good time.

awww yeh pass the distance is fokin awesome

Gonna keep bumping cause I'm having a boring ass Friday.

Opeth - Blackwater Park (2001)
>Progressive Metal, Death Metal

Hmm, something about the blend of genres on here feels kind of awkward and clunky. It’s like a prog album shoved into a death metal album, shoved into an acoustic album. I’ll admit, the change of styles can be nice but it ultimately breaks up the flow of the album. It just doesn’t feel like a natural blend, idk how to explain it.

My biggest qualm with this album is probably the vocals. I’m not used to much of this style but even for metal they seem to be over the top. They sound kind of like the cookie monster dying and I couldn’t get that mental image out of my head while giving this a listen. At times, they lighten up and have a more normal singing style but even then, they feel like that awkward 70s prog ballady stuff that I’m not typically too big on.

There are passages of this that are enjoyable though. The little acoustic sections, despite their sometimes awkward placement are pretty tight. The guitar work is nice and there’s even a section with a little piano that was relaxing - I forgot for a moment that I was listening to something so heavy. There were some heavier passages on here that were nice as well, with pounding drums and repetitive guitar riffs. Still verges a bit too heavily on prog in most of those, which isn’t exactly up my alley.

Certainly interesting to check out another prog-metal album but it’s honestly just not my style. Ultimately, it’s mesh of musical influences I’m not particularly crazy about in the first place.

2.0/5

rum is fucking disgustin

>I'm so fuckin' drunk bois.
this is me but I am BLASTING abba

my temmp roommate for orientation had an opeth belt

>rum is fucking disgustin

Blasphemous, that's like my favorite. Unless you're talking about clear rum, I can't handle that shit

>my temmp roommate for orientation had an opeth belt

Jeez. My Freshman roommate was obsessed with Drake and I thought that was bad

I like the hit singles

WU LYF is a real slow roller, that opener slowly became one of my all-time favorite songs

frigg off, sshx

>Pass the Distance
Damn Straight
>Supersilent 6
Been meaning to listen to this for ever. This might be a good little push

>this is me but I am BLASTING abba
IF YOU CHANGE YOUR MIND

yeh it's like 50% jesus it's strong and gross mang. the dude freaked out when i told him i knew who mike patton was i was like uh oh lol nah

SO IF YER NEAR ME DARLIN WONTHCYA HEAR ME SOS

okay i think i've had enough outsider house for awhile
rateyourmusic.com/collection/stick_/recent/

as someone who just kinda listens to whatever music i stumble upon
what genre is this youtube.com/watch?v=KZibd0rK50k
or what songs are similar (serious question) the song is so catchy but i'd never get caught listening to it in public

sounds like talking heads

LISTENALONG

mega.nz/#!1wIQwTKC!IvSLsRtL-t2_tZif3UYl_4L0ve7XgfHnZfqrbPdh-_g

open.spotify.com/album/0r5dgoIb9dBd6fMdmYcYjk

patrice is such a qt track

Is this only for people who participated in past weeks? I might want to check this out this time around.

Completely inexperienced with classical music though. I'm slowly working my way through 9 Symphonien to get more into it

You can participate in listenalongs whenever you want!

One of the reasons I chose this recording is because Mendelssohn's concerto was my way into western art stuff, so hopefully it will be a good entry point for others as well!

Alright sweet, I might join in this week if I end up having the time. Sounds like a good place to start, I'll have to check it out at some point regardless

lol

So happy to be playing Persona. Throwback to my youth :)

lol indeed

>i am so much better than everyone on this website and im still shit

congrats. you just described everyone on this website including myself, yourself and everybody else!

Here is one complimentary (You)!
"but it was ironic!" you shouldn't say!

>"but it was ironic!" you shouldn't say!
>post by Transgod
wew how new

see this guy gets it
this guy does too