Tea Thread!

Tea Thread!

What's your favourite type, how do you brew it and any thing else tea related!

What teas do you use to calm headaches? Anything that decreases blood pressure?

Other urls found in this thread:

coffeebean.com/cherry-blossom-tea/d/1144
tealife.co.jp/products/detail_32.html
seriouseats.com/2015/04/tea-introduction-starter-kit.html
seriouseats.com/2015/01/tea-for-everyone.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

And of course as always, any teas that surpress appiete? I've heard pepper in is good for that, caffine as well though I'd rather not drink it.

Oh cool we got quads. Tonight's a special night.

I used to be big into black teas and coffee. Now too much caffeine makes me sick, so I've switched to green and herbal teas. I really love chamomile, peppermint, matcha, jasmine, and lemon

What's peppermint and jasmine taste like? Do you find peppermint makes you feel full?

Earl Grey !.......Hot !

You know, I've never heard of cold tea. I mean I have heard of the soda variety, but never cold.

Jasmine is a really smooth and floral tea to me, and we'll peppermint just tastes minty, goes great with honey btw. I'd say jasmine doesn't make me any fuller than any other tea, peppermint I feel maybe slightly does but it mainly is good for relaxing

I enjoy lapsang Souchong, it's a smoked chinese black tea. Tastes like drinking a cigar.

I also like japanese green tea that has roasted rice in it, tastes very nutty.

Jasmine tea is also very good if I'm in the mood for something light

And of course there's always the king of green tea, Chinese dragon well.

I brew my tea in a cast iron japanese style teapot and I have an electric kettle with adjustable temperature control to brew different varieties.

Cherry blossom green is my favorite by far, but any green or herbal tea is great. I normally brew it in my cast-iron tea pot. It tastes pretty good hot but I prefer it over ice, tastes much better that way imo.

coffeebean.com/cherry-blossom-tea/d/1144

I drink Sleepytime vanilla chamomile, about half the kettle or else it doesn't whistle right. I pour 7-10 oz of the boiling water, and leave a bag to steep for three to four minutes. I pour about half an oz of whole milk and sugar until it's sweet.

Only to go to sleep, though.

Chamomile is the one tea I cannot stand the taste of. I prefer catnip for relaxation / sleep

>over ice

I'm quite interested in why, as well as how it tastes cold. Also were would you find a cast iron pot like that? And I assume you use it on the stove?

Catnip tea? Quite literally the stuff cats love?

>peppermint goes great with honey

That's something I never thought of. I'll have to try that.

It's reall nice to hear about jasmine tea as well. When do you tend to drink jasmine?

I got my cast iron pot at world market, but I've seen them loads of places. It doesn't go on the stove although you probably could, I heat up water in an electric kettle and pour it in.

Yup, it has a calmimg effect in humans and the opposite in cats, lol. Tastes like mint

>mfw sleepytime tea
pic related

So you boil hot water then pour it into the pot as a container to keep it hot? Then use the pot to pour it into a cup?

>catnip relaxes humans

I never knew that. How do you brew it? Where do you get it?

>sleepy time tea

What do you drink for sleepy time tea?

Earl grey master race reporting in. Bonus points for licorice.

Im not exactly sure why I like it cold, just preference I suppose. It does taste wonderful though.

I bought mine online, and normally I heat up the water first and then let it brew for a while in the pot. You can put it on the stove but I've found that it doesn't brew for as long that way (less flavor) and if you let it go too long in order to get a better brew the water just evaporates too quickly.

cold jasmine tea. i put tea in water then leave it overnight in the fridge. it is best.

ive tried it with some chai teas but it isnt as good.

Okay someone fucking tell me because google doesn't. When I make tea, internet tells me to steep the bag for 2.5 minutes. Does that mean just let it sit in the mug, or am I supposed to be dunking it up and down? How fast? Honestly I want to enjoy this tea.

Cinnamon tea with half a tea spoon of coffee and very little milk boy, that's some awesome stuff, makes the house smell of wonders
I use a small pot and break off cinnamon in the water and add the coffee when it's dark red, a sip of milk seals the deal.

Yup, I pour a bit of boiling water into the cast iron pot and my cup to preheat them, then pour it out and add my tea leaves into the pot. Then I add hot watwr (usually not boiling) and steep for however long and pour through a strainer into my cup.

I've used the dried catnip that I bought at the oet store for my cats, it said it was organic and it doesn't kill my cats when they eat it so I figured I was ok. I've also seen it in tea bags marketed as a sleepytime tea

I put the bag in the cup and pour watwr over it, then let it steep and maybe give it a dunk or two halfway through

Also, ripe lemons, some droplets really.
Not much, sweetens enough.
>Add brown sugar if not enough lemon juice/sour

So you brew it in pot. Do you use loose leaf, or pouches?

How long does it take to cool btw? Do you pour it hot over ice, or let it cool first then over ice?

prep depends on the type of tea. not all are the same.

If you're going throigh the trouble of the cast iron pot I would recommend loose leaf. Tea bags I just make directly in my mug

Linden tea

>lemons sweeting

Really? Aren't they usually sour? Also cinnamon tea seems pretty cool. How do you brew it? Using pouches?

This

Loose leaf, the pot has a little strainer thing underneath the lid and you can put the leaves in there. And pouring it hot over ice is just fine if I'm in a hurry, but if I'm letting it go overnight I'll let it cool first and then add ice in the morning.

I generally drink a peppermint tea for calming down, and a licorice tea for energizing

I love chi tea... and I absolutist love making Hot Tobbys with chi tea. Jut get a tea kettle, and some whole lemons, honey, cloves and some spiced rum. What ever your preferred rum/ chi tea. Take one or two lemons take some cloves and stick them all over the lemons and put the lemons stick them in the pot with the tea bags and honey to taste and of course the Rum(as much as you need). Make sure you cut the ends off the lemons they can soak in the goodness. You know the tea is done when the inside of the lemon is brown.. Its sooooo goood

I see. That's for all your advice user! It seems like I should invest in a good pot for tea.

One last question if I may, how does loose leaf taste compared to pouch?

Heroin, intravenously

Does everything you drink tea for, except it does a better job of it.

I've seen a couple anons mention it, but ha anyone kept their tea leaves/ingredients in a pot for days, adding water only to brew another cup or so?

Friend of mine mentioned that he used to do that. How long does it last, is it sanitary etc

I pour mime through the strainer when it's done, but I don't use the strainer inside the pot. I jusy out the leaves straight im the pot, gives them more room to exoand (loose leaf tea will exoand a lot when it brews, good quality stuff will have huge leaves) which lets the water extract more flavor from the tea

tealife.co.jp/products/detail_32.html

All I drink, yo.

So good, so cheap

Im not a huge fan of tea although I do want to like it. Is it one of those things where you have to build an aquired taste for it or no?

The good Japanese stuff is called Nanbu Tekki (南部鉄器), really nice ironware. The one in the pic has some pretty stereotypical crap on it though. 富貴長寿. Most nice ones don't have any decoration at all.

I've done that before, it wasn't too bad and I didn't die but I wouldn't go past a day, and I wouldn't leave the leaves in water. Brew a pot, drimk the pot and you van leave the damp leaves until tomorrow to add more water to. If you leave the leaves in water for a day it woild het really bitter

Usually ripe lemons cut it, lemon tea in itself isn't half bad.
Pouches are a little bit of an odd thing to use because they aren't that common.
Usually two cinnamon bars broken up do the trick, but they have an intense favor, so they brew more than one pot per couple of bars

I once tried that but it eventually the water and leaves turned into a jelly-like mess and I had to deep clean the iron pot because I was afraid I had contaminated it in some way.

Yeah I've taken to doing that more often now, get's a more "full" brew, if that makes sense.

Mine was $20 and works fine for my needs. I'll save the big bucks for an unglazed clay teapot, that's where the money's at

I much prefer loose leaf, but I have no problem with pouch and drink it a lot because I'm lazy

Chai and Earl Grey.

With a kettle, loose leaf.

Organic maple syrup makes a perfect sweetener to compliment Earl Grey.

Never tried tea for headache. I always use weed for that.

Yeah, I would say it's a bit of an aquired taste. I'd suggest you start with herbal tea, then work your way up to a green tea / herbal tea blend, then full on green tea.

For black tea you could start with something like chai, then go to earl grey, then whatever

Maple syrup? I never thought of that. I have to try that

Serious eats has a few good articles aboit getting into tea

seriouseats.com/2015/04/tea-introduction-starter-kit.html

found the poppy seed tea drinker

seriouseats.com/2015/01/tea-for-everyone.html

This guy is really really into tea, I dig his articles cause I'm a huge tea nerd. I weigh out my tea to the gram and weigh my water and heat it to a soecific temperature within 1 degree. And time my brew of course. Making a pot is an ordeal, but I find it strangely calming. It's my form of meditation

This guy. I've got a nice side handled pot myself, the orient takes great pride in the ceramic maker who made their sets. My personal favorite has always been genseng oolong, actually grown not far from me here in Wisconsin but generally it's Korean. I always make it too strong, there's a great Carmelly cure to it

you are aware there is a dedicated board for cooking right?
Also Gyokuro loose leaf or nothing

OP here. This was a nice thread and we had a nice get to start it off.

I loved reading all your experiences, thank you!

Have a nice night anons!

Is tea making really cooking though?
Besides OP seemed Interested in what Sup Forums thinks, not what stuck up faggiot think

I see tea threads (and much more unrelated threads) there all the time.

Lapsang souchong, Earl Grey, or oolong, though any Irish or English Breakfast is fine, too.

Chamomile with mint for headaches or sleep.

Finally something on /b i can relate too. Uncle iroh is one of my childhood heroes i started drinking tea because i seen how much he loved it when i was a kid now im hooked and atla is still my favorite cartoon of all time.

I've always like berry, but I put tons and tons of sugar in it.

Earl grey, can't live without it. i drink about 5 cups a day.

Lapsang reporting

Nah, just IV heroin.

Lapsang my nigga

Sleepy time tea. Drink that b4 I go to bed. Get a good night sleep wake up feeling refreshed as a mofo

Another lapsang nigga

Chai Tea is literally the best
Anyone else here Like Chai?

Sort of redundant to call it "chai tea" since chai literally means tea.

Tea newbie here, how do you guys manage to all not screw up the tea brewing? For some reason I tend to end up with bitter or uninteresting tea. I know i enjoy real tea, even the stuff at my local generic chinese restraunt is great. How do?

Also i love how the tea drinking thread feels like a bunch of really friendly, peaceful people.

holy shit finally. I drink all sorts but my favorite is gaba tea, and I have this special pot for it. shit is just a cure all for mental funks among other great benefits

The water should be boiling or at least had been boiling seconds before at the moment it contacts the tea, but shouldn't be poured directly over it.

Then steep the appropriate amount of time, which varies by brew. If you get that time right, there's really no way it goes wrong.

you are almost certainly over-steeping it, or maybe you are using way too many tea leaves

do not listen to this post
some teas, like most green teas, call for 150-175 Fahrenheit water. Anything above that will make it taste awful. Most teas require ~185 degrees or less, not boiling

I was gonna say, i heard green teas bitter easy. I even know the chemistry behind why, i just struggle to do it right. I guess what i want is strong tea that isn't bitter. Seems like the only way to make it strong, though, is steep it longer.

I'm talking about black teas. Most teas actually are black teas.

see over-steeping tea makes it taste bitter, not stronger typically

Milk oolong niggers.
Genmai is acceptable too. Puerh if I'm feeling it.

earl grey and chamomile personally. no fancy brewing, just drop the leaves in the water. helps me get over my insomnia, and happens to be the only thing I keep stocked to drink in my house (other than water)

my nigger.

Regardless of the green/black thing, thank you. I did not know to not pour the water over the tea, i always do that. Will try putting the water in the pot first instead

Yeah, sorry I overstated that because the other guy was right, greener teas get bitter if you do that.

Ha, that could be part of my problem. I have Gunpowder green tea and this Jasmine tea (both from an oriental market in Salem) and i think the jasmine is green tea based. I have oolong but it's in bags, ill try loose black. What's a good one?

pu-erh mixed with earl grey is my stuff. hot, nothing added.

English or Irish Breakfast or any blend with a lot of assam in it.

Blueberry black.
Otherwise, have a recipe for some dank peppermint tea:
>aforementioned tea
>peppermint mocha coffee creamer
>brown sugar
Thank me later ;3

Ha, ive thought about switching to tea for health reasons. If i take your advice im never losing weight XD. Sounds delicious though

There was this insanely good berry tea that i remember drinking a while ago. I don't remember where I was or when it was but i just remember the taste. God damn it this is going to bug the crap out of me.