Never played guitar before...

never played guitar before, but i recently had the urge to so i bought a 7 string because that's ultimately what kind of music i want to learn how to play
did i make a mistake? i feel like if i just get used to it early it would be easier later, but idk

pic related, it's a washburn solar 170c, which is what i landed on buying

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Es4Z9-K3qqk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

pls respond

I did the same thing, IMO it was a mistake.

why do you think that?
from what i read, you should be able to just ignore the 7th string when learning and it also helps with accurate picking

that guitar seems too complex to learn how to play, so yeah it might have been a mistake, could've started with something more simple than that

Prog rock, or metal or something like that? 7-strings aren't strictly just for heavy music anymore. May make it a little difficult to begin with, but that's a perfectly fine guitar, user.

prog metal, mostly
animals as leaders, sithu aye, scale the summit, etc

you're just going to play shitty djent with that one top B string anyway, so you made the correct choice

It's only a mistake if you don't commit to playing guitar long enough to learn how to use it.

Personally I don't think starting on 7 is much different than 6. You'll be bad with the coordination aspect regardless.

Where you did make a mistake is with the guitar. There's tons of used made in japan ibanez models for the price of the indonesian solar which will have better fit and finish. If you like the washburn and feel inspired to play it then it's not a big deal.

It's literally one extra string. It's hardly any more complex. Drop tune the 7th to an A, then you have AEADGBE. You have drop tuning on the 7th and standard on the 6-1.

On my 8, which is here: It's just an extra octave on the low end. It's all simple really, just gotta learn the tiniest bit of theory.

money wasn't a concern, and since i have no idea about guitars i made an aesthetically pleasing choice
plus i like ola englund

I have more strings than u

yeah I suppose it's not a big deal, so I guess it's up to OP's commitment to learn how to use it

dude I love Dragonforce too! ;^)

Dragonforce plays 6-strings, pleb.

any strings beyond 1 - 6 are a gimmick

8 is already pushing the muddiness on the low end, I'm good. You could make a sweet bassist though.

its fun to jam out regardless of wether or not you are very serious in learning. ive been playing for about 2 years off and on and i love picking it up now and then even if its not very good. just have fun with it

This.

Now gtfo and learn some guitar shit

i don't understand
is there a proper way of getting the same sound?

drop tuning

With a 7 you can do drop tuning at the same time as standard, it's a win win. Calling it a gimmick and dismissing it is just lack of creativity on your end.

well it's tuned like a bass and a guitar smashed together, so the lowest string is the same pitch as a drop-tuned 8-string. It is actually pretty interesting because the bass-G string is a higher pitch than the guitar-E string, so there is there neat interval in the middle.

I didn't post that, I have a 7, I'm just saying you could drop tune to get the same sound

I am a big Washburn fan. Nice guitar choice, though I hope you bought the standard model and not the Ola England custom at this stage in your playing. But yeah, learning with a 7 string is fine. Anyone who says it is just like having a bass or a drop-tuned 6 string has no clue what they are talking about.

Depends on how far you drop it. Dropping a 6 to an A or F# will not sound the same because a 6 doesn't usually have the scale length required to keep up with the intonation that comes with it.
But in theory, you're correct.

this is exactly what it says
Washburn PX-SOLAR170C Parallaxe Double Cut 7-String Solid-Body Electric Guitar

I just put some money down on a Fender Strat, so I know your feel.

A seventh string will just be an extra string. You can use it or you can remove it; you can add a heavier string there, tune all the strings to some crazy shit that you want to play, etc.

It's not the guitar that makes the music; it's your soul. Work on that, and the music will come.

I think it's a nice choice as long as you don't give up playing, I'm thinking of picking up a 7 string at some point dunno what I'd need the extra string for but it'd be fun to play around on metal can be hard to learn but it's pretty rewarding, I've played for a while now on electric and started on acoustic

Pic related is the 7 string I'm thinking about

This.

Forgot to add I think your guitar is very nice op wouldn't call that a mistake

holy shit more pics

7 strings arn't my thing but I imagine they wouldn't be any harder to learn on if your a beginner

I mean't to say you're not your sorry

just learn to play and stop posting stupid threads noob. You should be practicing, not typing.

>Dropping a 6 to an A or F#
>F#
>Not just saying G

Wot

i want to be mike gianelli
youtube.com/watch?v=Es4Z9-K3qqk

>F# = G
Go

literally ear cancer

it's not even shipped yet

also, i think the closest luthier is like a 2 hour drive
is it worth the drive, or is there a foolproof way of intonating?
i didn't order an amp (next paycheck), but i did get rocksmith and i heard there's a tuner with that
i could also buy bias fx

i got a pack of extra strings and a wire cutter and spinner thing, is there anything else i need?

Any 2203x peeps here?

lol

nope got a 1978 Marshall JMP though. Similar amps