So I recently ran across a "Gibson" les paul from a yard sale around my area in Southern California and bought it for...

So I recently ran across a "Gibson" les paul from a yard sale around my area in Southern California and bought it for $300. Looked a little weird with some noticeable differences, but still nice nonetheless. Only played it for a little bit and came with a case, then decided to move on to better guitars so i planned to sell it. I went to a pawnshop couple miles away from where i lived and told the guy i needed some cash so ill take just a little more than what I payed. Told the pawn owner all i knew is that its a les paul model and i wanted 400. He did his research a bit and said alright. He took my ID, took my thumb print, and i signed a paper and i was off with my money. Later I researched more that the "Gibson" might have been whats called a Chibson. Which is a fake american made gibson made in a chinese warehouse. The thing is, will I get prosecuted? Will he contact me? If he does decide to take me to court is there much evidence he can use? Also to note I was with my friend and the owner didn't give me a receipt. Should I go back and get one? I don't want to sound like the con-artist here and rip people off, I just really needed some money for bills and want to avoid anything bad.

bump

Idk if he'll do anything but I thought those fake Les Pauls were more expensive than a legit one

how so lol

say the same story and that the pawn shop owner should had contacted an expert but if interrogated ask for a lawyer

No, Its the pawn guys fault for not doing enough research before giving you money.

Kind of a low key pawnshop with really old and rundown stuff. I just don't want to go to court for something stupid lol. All I did was walk in. Tell him this is a les paul model and I wanted 400.

Hey user, I wouldn't worry too much. There is no telling how many of those were passed off as authentic Gibsons,Hell many were sold on Ebay and still are to this day. If anything comes of it just play it like the other user said just tell your side of the story but leave out the part an=bout thinking it was a fake.

I don't remember the story but I think they are illegal to sell

>Will I be prosecuted?
No. Plausible deniability.

You didn't know that it was a fake, dumbass.

If you knowingly pass them as real Gibsons when they aren't then yes they can have someones ass, But if he attests that he thought it was real and can prove he bought it from the guy he bought it from in good faith, Then i would think it's defensible

No, he will have to take the loss. Just move on. Sucks for both of you it was fake. I guess you never got a feel for the real Gibson

Played many, but yet to call one my own.

what if they can't prove from past buy? He did say it was a yard sale.

kys please

no.

are you fucking retarded?

he's the pawn shop employee, if he didn't want it, he didn't have to buy it.

Like when Ibanez were making Explorers better than Gibson and they were forced to stop.

If i were to buy that Ibanez Explorer i couldn't in turn say "HEY THIS IS A COPY- GIMME MY MONEY BACK!"

you're a retarded faggot

fuck off

>He's the owner
>It's illegal to sell fake products of the real thing
>Can be taken to court
>Shitty comparison of situations

>he thing is, will I get prosecuted?

Possible, but unlikely. He'd probably end up spending more than $400 trying to sue you, plus there's a very good chance he doesn't want the cops attention on his business, since he probably knowingly buys and sells stolen goods. The cops on the other hand generally have more important things to do than chase after someone who may have intentionally passed off counterfeit merchandise as genuine. I mean if you went around town selling fake Gibsons left and right, it might warrant investigation, but for just one not likely. The biggest worry would be that Gibson got wind of it, and decided to push matters, but that's not likely either. You sold it used, not retail. They are interested in the retail market. They don't want fakes sold retail because it cuts into their bottom line, and can affect their own reputation. They don't make a dime any time a guitar is resold. Again, go around passing off numerous fakes, and it might be a different story. If it does come back on you somehow, plead ignorance. You purchased it as a Gibson yourself, and are no expert on appraising and identifying instruments--the pawn broker should be at least somewhat knowledgeable since he deals in instruments, and likely deals with hagglers and scammers fairly routinely.

>Will he contact me?

He might, and it might be a good idea to work with him to resolve the matter as best you can, without getting the cops and courts involved. More than likely though he'll just eat the loss, or possibly resell the thing as a genuine Gibson too.

>the owner didn't give me a receipt. Should I go back and get one?

I'd leave the matter be. No need to draw attention to you, or the guitar. If this comes back on you there's not going to be any real question on whether or not you sold it to him, because he's got your contact info, thumb prints, and the paperwork you signed. All a reciept will do is verify his own records.

Go make it right

OP here, really appreciate that. Well said on all parts and yea like I said it's the first guitar I sold and just needed some money. It actually happened today.

So basically if he contacts me, buy it back? Could I just say i didn't know? And if he does decide to take it to court it seems like most of the responsibility is on him and that he can't prove I was just being a dick looking to scam someone.

The only reason about the receipt would be for my records if he does take me to court. Also I didn't have my contacts on at the time so i couldn't read what i was signing fully (dumb as fuck i know) but had enough faith. I just want to make sure i didn't sign a loan paper.

You thought it was genuine and represented it as such. He can't prove otherwise. It's not your responsibility to be a guitar expert to sell a guitar. If he calls you tell him to fuck off.

He's never going to call you idiot. Enjoy your 400 bucks.

You are not a true guitarist.

Even if it's fake, if it plays well it's worth $400.

Real, in good condition, it's worth $1000 - $2000.

Real, early vintage....$5000 - $25000.

eat my ass. I have a fender tele custom i play most of the time. Buying a PRS later. You probably play with a capo pussy.

The thing IMO quality and condition wise is priced around 700. I changed the pickups to a jeff beck signature seymour duncan and a 59 humbucker. Also got it set up.