Ask a physicist anything, I'm bored

Ask a physicist anything, I'm bored

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/String_theory
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

explain quantum entanglement in three sentences

If you think you understand it, you don't.

Can you please explain to these hunchback fatty mcfat fats that climate change is a huge problem and we had better deal with it sooner than later.

How low of a temperature can Vanadium Oxide be used at to harvest electricity from heat?

Why is physics obsessed with the science of kinetics and static electricity?

You're clearly not a mathematician.

Could you please tell me why we aren't a computer simulation?

what is the delocalization energy of benzene compared to a theoretical 1,3,5 cyclohexatriene?

Suck my
Giant horse
Sized dick.

Understanding something mathematically and conceptually is different, also not OP just giving my two cents

How difficult was it to get a job? Also what is pay like? I'm thinking of going into a similar field but if it isn't worth it it can get fucked

is there any way I can use physics to get a blowjob from my sister?

why my dog fucks me so hard?

Kek

this and also am a gril. do your peers ever take a females opinion less seriously than a males during their work?

Why am I so lonely?

refer to the chapter on single whoremonic motion

Tits or gtfo!

Three sentences is hard but i'll try. Since we can't tell particles apart at a quantum level, there can be a system where the total measured value of something (be it spin, angular momentum, energy ,etc) can give you the same value in a couple of different ways. This leads to cases where you can have 2 particles that have their values entangled in order to ensure the macro state is constant.

because you're fat and stupid and ugly and you smell

Sorry, material science isn't really my field. I did study liquid crystals, hence the 8-cb image, but that's pretty specialized

so, nothing to do with my sister giving me a blowjob then

I will buy a coal mining factory and a coal schute, then send every climate change activist and all other nonsense scholars of the physical science big tattered red socks full of the stacks and stacks of coal.

I injured my ankle while jogging, is it a sprain or a fracture?

have you ever tried to find your male G-spot?

Because they're very well understood systems. Research isn't really active in these fields (unless you count fluid dynamics as kinetics). They're great for learning all the fundamentals of physics

If you're grades are ok and your research is decent, you can land a job just fine. A BS in physics can get you 55-60k starting at some basic engineering firm, and if you get a PhD you can easily land a 100K job in industry assuming your research is applicable
On the peer thing, if you're qualified to have your job, and don't try to act like your hot shit, you'll be treated just fine.

This falls into QFT and cosmology which is a bit out of my field, but most people think it's safe to rule out the whole simulation debacle. There isn't enough evidence to support it at the moment, and it doesn't fully explain anything special in the standard model.

Bummer. Material science is the shit, and crazy practical. I love how huge of an impact it can make, in practical ways.

Ok, Thank you for the advice! I don't know many physicists apart from the teachers at my high school so this is very good to know.

Explain the Shroedinger equation

Hey physicist ,
Will you call Matt Damon publist , tell him something about

ABU

(310) 289 6200

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
DON'T WORRY ITS LA

magnets, how do they work?

I don't have a question but I have a physics joke

Heisenberg is driving down the road and a policeman pulls him over and says "do you know how fast you were going?" and Heisenberg says, "no, but I know exactly where I was"

Hamiltonian operator acts on a certain wave function Ψ, and the result is proportional to the same wave function Ψ, then Ψ is a stationary state, and the proportionality constant, E, is the energy of the state Ψ.

so you'd feel comfortable saying that the best application for a physics degree is in industry research and not just in education? i guess my main concern is that pursuing a degree in physics will only land me a job as a high school teacher or something. it feels like theres no way to tell if the future of that job market looks bright or not. i just dont want to throw thousands of dollars down the drain studying a degree that'll ultimately be useless once i graduate.

Unpaired electrons in the outer most molecular orbitals of molecules that have ordered crystilline structures

what if physics is like the liberal arts degree of the STEM world?

Sorry bud, i'm not a chemist
.I do find it interesting, and it's hella practical which is why I still respect it, but it's just a bit tedious for me. I'm currently trying to study how magnetic impurities alter the kondo effect in quantum dots
The Schrodinger equation is just a fancy way of writing the common linear algebra term H|X> = E|X>. It's just a standard differential equation to find the energies of a system.

I won't say that's the best application, but it's what I prefer, because I hate the politics in Academia. If you get a degree in physics and get into a PhD program, it'll be a paid full ride and you'll make a decent amount (on average like 24k a year), but it's a lot of work. You really have to enjoy it or be stubborn enough like I was to get through most of it...lol. If you get your degree and do some nice research you'll never have to worry about being a highschool professor. You just might not be able to get a physics job, and will have to settle for an engineering or CS job

>Sorry bud, i'm not a chemist

152 kJ per mole you dickwad

How can a star have more mass than a black hole and not collapse into one?

Explain planck length, and/or the Schwarzschild metric, in as many words as you like.

Lifted straight from wikipedia. OP is a fraud.

In what three respects are voltaic and storage cells alike? I. What two ways different?

Particles observed at the smallest level react with other small particles, holding energy more vast than is humanly comprehendable. This causes interactions on the atomic and chemical level that are deemed unstable and physically, etherally, and combinatorically unworkable, while in reality they are the stablest reactions in the realm of physics. Using this information like a marzipan with a sulfuric rock, humans, physicists, and bureaucrats will have constructed weapons capable of wiping out civilizations near technological industrial epochs, much like itself.

Ohhh so the degree DOES apply to other fields! I was worried that they'd see "physics" on my resume when applying for a tech job and turn me down because its not "related" or something. That actually makes me feel a lot better, user. I've been too chicken shit to actually commit but I think I might try now. Thank you so much!

Good to know, sorry I couldn't answer that one

Collapse into a black hole is all about density, not just mass. All that mass has to be crushed down into what's known as the Schwarzchild radius before the system collapses on itself
I'm op, and I gave the linear algebra answer, not just the wavefunction being an eigenstate one.
Planck length is when even quantum physics gets super fucky. I don't do research in CFT's and quantum gravity, so I can't describe it that well. I was never smart enough for theory...lol

Yea a degree in physics is kind of a jack of all trades for STEM. While you might not be able to do everything an EE or CE can, you'll know a good bit, and having a degree in physics shows that you can think critically and learn shit if you need to. One of my friends got a BS in physics and now does radar analysis and engineering for a contracting firm.

Half of the time the outcome of an entangled particle will land heads and half of the time it will land tails, after observation.

how does crystal healing work?

When will we have fusion power?
It always seems just around the corner.

It doesnt...although ants will line the entrances to their nurseries with specific minerals because of their antimicrobal properties.

I'm a water treatment engineer, out of all my College/Uni courses, Material Science has to be the most relevant one i continually reference and the only course i would retake.

I took a few different Material science courses( Metallurgy, plastics and polymers, and ceramics) but the tests in lab and the theory in class has been the most useful in my employment and job.

how does astrology work?

Are there any cheap, practical, everyday examples where we can observe or experiment with the Casimir effect?

It's not that simple. The common thing that people learn about is the EPR paradox, where if I have 2 spin 1/2 particles and measure along the same axis, one will be up and the other will be down. The important factor there is the measurement on the same axis. I can measure one particle in z+, and the other in x+, and get some weird mixed results.

If it was, we should be shitting ourselves right now.

what happened before the Big Bang?

Not that I can think of at the moment. It's really not that applicable of an effect, unless you're doing nano technology or something like that. I don't even know what it could really be used for in a beneficial situation
Current theory is that a fuckton of strings were just kinda bundled up chilling

so the problem is how to study the theory, not necessarily the issue the theory demonstrates?

What's your opinion on the alcumbiere warp drive?

fucking strings, how do they work?

>Current hypothesis is that a fuckton of strings were just kinda bundled up chilling

FTFY

some other shitty show.

My gut screams that it's a load of shit and a total fraud, but if I always followed my gut and didn't think about things from a different point of view I don't think I could call myself a physicist. I'm honestly totally neutral about it until more research is presented.
Wish I knew bud, I know there's some shit about N=2 4D SCFT's and that's about where my knowledge on the subject stops.
u rite.

But where did the strings come from?

Heisenberg walks into a bar and says to the bartender, I'll have an eighth of your best vodka. The bartender stops him, "Are you sure, this has a strong spike." I am certain, he replies. Otherwise I would already be drunk.

supersymmetry, yes or no?

Not totally sure what you mean, but I think so. The most accepted model on quantum phenomena is the copenhagen interpretation which basically says "fuck it, the experiments work". It doesn't worry about the philosophy behind the material, though we can at least rule out hidden variable theory due to Bell's inequality.

sweat shop in china

what was your first gay experience?

I have a couple of friends that love SUSY, but from what I know it's pretty dead at this point. Physics beyond the standard model is getting to be a pretty fierce area of research though, so maybe something strange will happen and SUSY's predictions will work out again.

I'm the user that asked about warp drive. I'm just about in the same boat but I really do believe that the math is at least there. Another question: not sure how well versed you are in cs, but what's your opinion on P vs NP?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/String_theory

When everyone agrees on it, they'll finally let us know. The easiest way to say it is that its an alternative theory to particle physics. Instead of point like particles, there are vibrating strings and they get into some wacky hijinks when we try to explain them using relativity.

How can mirrors be real if our eyes aren't real?

So skunk works is full of it?

When Jackson's Electrodynamics fucked me in the ass
Yea I don't know shit about CS. I'm an experimentalist to the core so I'm allergic to any sort of useful CS or theory...lol

how the fuck do magnets work?

Causal dynamical triangulation, being part of quantum gravity, suggests that space changes confirmation depending on energy states.

Could the implication be that space-time fabric is not continuous but actually composed of building blocks much like matter is with quarks? What's the cutting edge have to say about space?

Okay so does Planck's length limit a Schwartzchild Radius? If I have something a Planck's length in width and diameter does it not have a Schwartzchild Radius?

everyone watched Seinfeld

I'm afraid I can't answer that question, and I don't know if anyone could at the moment. That's right up quantum gravity's alley, and I don't know shit about that

Lol I understand. I was EE before my shit math and sci gpa made me switch. Bit off more than I could chew trying to double major with music performance. I miss circuits, but I'll graduate and go do something completely not cs related, but still make comparable money with the extra background