GHOSTBUSTERS ETHERED BY DEADLINE!!

GHOSTBUSTERS ETHERED BY DEADLINE!!

>The easy go-to excuse for the the less-than spectacular opening for Ghostbusters was that Sony was too ambitious in re-starting this franchise with a female cast; that they’ve completely put off guys.

>But here’s the root more than anything else as to why Ghostbusters under-delivered: it’s not your typical, bawdy Feig/McCarthy comedy, it’s more family friendly and that’s what everyone noticed and cried outrage about after seeing the first trailer in March (which was one of the worst rated in YouTube history): They didn’t think it was funny. The original Ghostbusters was never intended to be a family brand, it was a special effects tentpole with a sarcastic Saturday Night Live/National Lampoon/Second City sense of humor. Over time, it became kid-ified with its cartoon and videogame ancillaries, and that’s the trap that Sony and the flimmakers fell into in reigniting this film. It’s too goody goody, and audiences can smell that. If you’re going to hire Feig and McCarthy, then they should execute what they’re known and loved for: a raunchy Ghostbusters.

>Granted, most of the actors from the first Ghostbusters make cameos as different characters in the current version, however, for some movie marketing folk, whenever a campaign is inclusive of its original elements, it goes a long way in regards to pulling the legacy demo of the brand back inside the theater.

>Says one rival distribution chief, “They allegedly made this film because there’s an enormous love for the franchise. If this is in fact the case, why would you go and alienate that core group?”

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/XJ0_Ke1-mYA?t=11m50s
boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=daily&id=angrybirds.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Amazing how other studios know that you don't alienate the audience you're trying to get to see your movie

Sony is fucking clueless

I don't know if its a racist thang or a sexist thang

Imagine you're a 60 year old grandparent. You saw the original Ghostbusters in theaters. You liked it. Your kids loved it. They watched the cartoons and bought the toys.

You see the new trailer. It doesn't look like the Ghostbusters you remember. It's not funny. Then you see a commercial that says "Women are funny, get over it!"

Who would take their grandkids to see the movie after that?

i wouldnt take my grandkids to see ghostbusters 3 no. id say we are just gonna see star trek next weekend get ready for some spaceships

That line doesn't even make sense in the movie.
The crowd clearly didn't catch Leslie Jones just because she's a woman, because they caught Melissa McCarthy and as far as I know she's a woman too.

If I was a grandparent I would be forcing my grandkids to study Shannon's theorems.

60 year old buying the toys?
You realize gen xers were the primary demo for the original movies and millenials for the cartoons and toys, right?

Who knew trying a ham fisted commercial grab would fail

>why would you go and alienate that core group?”

Because it's 2016

>family friendly
>pussy fart within 10 minutes

>“They allegedly made this film because there’s an enormous love for the franchise. If this is in fact the case, why would you go and alienate that core group?”

>“They allegedly made this film because there’s an enormous love for the franchise. If this is in fact the case, why would you go and alienate that core group?”

Because they're fucking morons and we are ALWAYS right

And where were these articles months ago?

Oh right, they didn't want to risk being called sexist themselves. KEKS.

Sup Forums is pretty much always wrong. The fact that Sup Forums also predicted it to bomb is what is saving us.

LOOKS LIKE MEN WIN AGAIN

WE DID IT GUYS

I am starting to think that the best defense force for the "patriarchy" is...feminists.

It's not even a bomb. It'll make its money back. Sup Forums just seeing what they want to see.

>If this is in fact the case, why would you go and alienate that core group?”

The question everyone's been asking, but that's already answered in the Sony leak emails.

In them, we find that Amy Pascal who greenlit this and even pushed for it to be made, wanted female recasts in general, has a feminist ideology as a drive to make movies (rather than any merit or even profit based motive) and was sold on the idea by Feig explicitly referencing this.

Feig sold this movie to her as just a vehicle to launch a women led franchise. Nowhere in the emails does he seem concerned with the Ghostbusters movies or mythos. It's just a convenient label to slap on what was in reality "Superhero Women Team Up And Fight Monsters" as a franchise idea.

It's strange that people act like there's a debate about this to be had, we literally know more about this movie than almost all other movies that have come out, from conception to frantic emails about pressuring people to do cameos in it.

>Sony is fucking clueless

Yeah, that's a given.

You're so adorable.

Why is anyone shocked after the Sony email leaks. They are retarded hate their audience and Amy Pascal is an evil kike whore.

For reference Jurassic World was the last big reboot and it opened at $500 million

JUST.

>t'll make its money back.

It'll be lucky to do that by the end of its run. Maybe it won't go down with Heaven's Gate, Ishtar or The Lone Ranger as one of the great flops of all time, but it's going to be one more notch in this year's summer of discontent.

If Ghostjusters was the only movie out this summer, then sure. All the kids are watching the CGI pet movie right now, and Star Trek is out next week. Warcraft funny enough took in way more than Ghostjusters is ever going to.

It'll still get a sequel based on the sjw goodwill alone.

>Mom, Grandpa is going all brain rot again
>Why don't you take my phone and go outside and play some Pokemon, dear? I'll get you once his episode is over.

>"Women are funny, get over it!"
-THE NEW YORK TIMES

FUCKING ABSURD THE SJW TRASH BLOGGERS THEY LET USE THEIR NAME

IT TRULY IS 2016, JESUS CHRIST

all these tabloid shittingtonpost articles blame EVERYONE ELSE, not the movie makers
They have no sense of agency

They haven't even skirted pass the budget. That's bad. The least you can do as a movie is at least make it past your budget on opening day.
I'm embarrassed for them because they tried so hard to shit on the original fans and romance an audience of women who didn't care. Even after internet stirred up a controversy. Even after critics were bought and others gave it raving reviews at a grab for moral victory. They failed.

>Let's shame them into watching our retarded version of a once-loved kids movie

EW used the term "mouth-breathing" to describe naysayers of this movie. It's incredible how flustered and unprofessional these people can get.

THANK YOU FOREIGN PLEBS!!

We're always right

I don't get how it cost $140m. Like... where is that money going? It's not like there's a ton of hyper-realistic CGI in it. Did they pay McCarthy/Wiig/Feig $20m or something silly ala a Sandler movie?

diversity consultants

considering they only came up with an insulting black stereotype sidekick they should ask for a refund

I just realized that Ghostbusters has almost the same budget as Jurassic World 144 Million vs 150 Million. And that doesn't include marketing.

The studio will be saving face because no one likes talking bombs unless it's undeniable. But there's simply no way they'll make a sequel unless it breaks 300 Millions.

Probably Pajet

>BIGGER BUDGET THAN PIXELS

MY SIDES!!

I'M A HUGE SONYGGER

I watched it only 6 times and even I can say it's pretty good.

would watch again. Don't mind giving money to a good company I can trust.

>Pixels made back its budget and then some

99% of it presumably went on making Harold Ramis' grave 'zombie proof' should he rise again looking for vengance

>SONYGGER

lel

i get it

They probably lost money on Pixels, just not a ton.

Filming locations, building sets, paying extras, CGI, stunts, I can go on and on. It doesn't help that Paul Feig was stuck on doing that dance number and did about three reshoots and still left it out of the real film putting it in the credits.
The reason why Paul Feig gets touted as a "success" is he makes low budget films. A handful of interior locations and very few external shots paired with very few extras you save a lot of money and it's easy to get a box office gross that's over the budget.
I think he got a bit too confident with "Spy" being a comedy action movie and jumped into a Summer blockbuster too quickly.
It shows in the movie and the box office numbers.

>100% of the money made from ticket sales of a movie goes to the studio and marketing is free
They probably just about broke even

It's not out in any relevant European country yet.

>August 24 in France

lol

What was "the joke" here, why are they stomping him?

I am scared to watch youtube clip, please someone explain.

ONLY $435 MILLION MORE TILL BREAK EVEN!

THAT'LL TOTALLY HAPPEN!

GHOSTBUSTERS 2016 WONT BE A MASSIVE FINANCIAL LOSS! NO WAY :^)

I honestly think it's down to studios just being incompetent and refusing to control costs. Films like this did not cost the equivalent of $150m 30 years ago. Money is being burnt somewhere.

And, yes, the McCarthy films do well because of modest budgets. They're never blockbusters but are solid performers compared to their budgets. She's the white Tyler Perry.

I'm laughing so hard right now like a hardy gutteral laugh
Not even the foreign market wanted this.
This is just too good.

it doesn't make sense for it to be a "lady thang" in reference to Jones regardless

>uk
>biggest market after china
>not relevant

oh wait brexit :^)

> you saw the original ghostbusters when you were 28
what a fucking loser watching kiddie shit in his late 20s

the answer is: it doesn't matter because you have to do whatever you wife's kids want you too

>The Secret Life of Pets beat it this week.
>Next Week, Ice Age and Star Trek will kill it
>Week after that, Bourne will dispose of the corpse
>After that week, Suicide Squad will find it and rape its corpse.

No way this is making more than 200 million, with no release in china, its competition, and the bad word of mouth its gotten. Paul Feig suicide when?

MANBABIES ARE MAD AT WOMYN!

Star Trek and Ice Age are going to flop too (well, in the US for the latter, probably do solidly abroad)

I'm watching it just to spite you faggots. I would gladly pay for anything to piss you people off.

new thread

>

kek

Plus they decided to name call and talk shit about people who didn't like it by calling them sexist which alienated more people

A movie like Insurgent had a budget $110 million. It didn't even have that big of an audience and was pretty much a Hunger Games like clone made back it's budget and did well financially. Movies like this can be expensive if the director and producers aren't careful. Considering the producer was the an former executive she could cut deals and get more financing. The problem is in a perfect world where Sony and Paul Feig were able to take criticisms and didn't feed into negative remarks with more negativity they would have did well.
If they would have tried to win over the detractors and didn't try to bury the original they would have done so fucking well. Even if the movie sucked showing homage to the original the right way would have paid off.

>whiny pissbaby MRA scum perpetrate a hate campaign against the movie
>muddy the waters
>average person doesn't want to see it

lmao, all this proves is that we're going to have to try harder next time.

Audiences want to see more women comedians, that's a fact, sorry virgins

>females stepping on men is progress and to be applauded
>it's not a joke, it's a statement

>MRA
Stick to manbabies or dudeboys or some other retarded shit.

believe it or don't, although the Sony email hack is relatively well known, most normies don't know any of the details or understand their relevance.

The only place I ever hear or read about them is here.

Trips of truth, I will never understand why their game studio methodology and their film studio study methodology is literally the opposite.

the relevant people got everything they wanted from it i bet.

according to this reviewer
youtu.be/XJ0_Ke1-mYA?t=11m50s
Chinese will not be showing the movie due to ghosts being too realistic.

>It's not even a bomb. It'll make its money back. Sup Forums just seeing what they want to see.

Not very likely, all the press reports suggests a $100+ million promotion to add on these $144 million in production costs (how the fuck this the cheesy effects in this movie warrant that budget !?).

That's some ~$250 million to make back before any profit is made, and it's not even opening in China, which will severely hamper the foreign box office prospects.

It's not even as this will sell a lot of toys to add to the licensing revenue stream, I'm pretty sure the girls will go on buying Barbie's instead, and boys is certainly not a likely market.

Currently, given that the studio get's around ~55% of the initial domestic movie gross, it has made the studio $25 million domestic during the opening weekend, and it get's much less of the box office gross from foreign markets, which sofar has yielded a measly $19 million (again the studio would be happy to get 8 of those $19 millions).

So unless it has a really long and strong run (unlikely given the poor word of mouth that the user reviews indicate), it will NOT make the money back in it's box office run.

Currently they are back ~$225 million after the opening weekend, I don't see it happening.

too bad the largest market for film consumption outside the us of ass ...china will not be showing it in their theaters because of g-g-g-g-g-gghosts

Looks like it's doing similar to first-week Angry Birds, another Sony film, except this doesn't have a major national holiday or empty release slate to give it legs.

boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=daily&id=angrybirds.htm

I'd bet the farm on Star Trek robbing it of adult audience share, Ice Age robbing it of the kiddie audience, and Suicide Squad delivering the killing blow. Sony tried to make a film that appealed to everyone, and ended up with something that ultimately will appeal to no-one.

why do I keep seeing this meme about super inflated budgets that don't exist anywhere

Pixels had over 150 million dollar profit. Period.

If everything was flopping according to Sup Forums's made up rules of movie budgets, nothing short of films breaking a billion would've ever worked

Jurassic park is not a reboot it is a direct sequel.

A sequel to a movie that at best breaks even? Ok then. It's a definite that a sequel would make even less. SJW goodwill means jack shit.

Best to leave this turd in the toilet.

CGI films tend to be way less frontloaded than live-action films.

I'LL SAVE YOU M'LADY!

DONT TELL HER WHAT TO DO YOU PISSBROING SHITLORD!

SHES A STRONG INDEPENDENT WOMYN SHILLING FOR A CYNICAL STUDIO'S GASHGRAB REBOOT WITH A HAMFISTED FEMINISM GIMMICK FOR SUPPOSED FREE PRESS CONTROVERSY THAT BACKFIRED ON THEM, AND A POORLY MADE ONE AT THAT, BECAUSE... REASONS

>Trips of truth, I will never understand why their game studio methodology and their film studio study methodology is literally the opposite.

Because their game studio is run by Japs, while their movie studio is run by jews who in turn were shunned by other movie studios (all of which are jewish as well).

It's like the handout movie studio for jews, they sign on multiple movie contracts with dead jewish careers like Adam Sandler, and why shouldn't they, it's not their money, it's the Jap's money.

To be fair you can't explain to people how there is "probably"an additional 100+ or whatever millions in costs etc.
Even if it makes like 20mil. or so above its budget normies will think it did ok.

>All the money that was put into this project is reflected in the production budget.
>The production budget reflects the marketing costs.
>The 245 million dollar box office return means a one for one parity in studio returns.

These are the type of people handling Sony's financials.

Pixels did well in the global market but it had no marketing appeal in the US (ie toys, video games, other merchandise). American studios give no shits about the international market and unless you can move some product after the movie is out of theaters and on DVD you're done.
A good example of the other end is Pacific Rim which didn't do to well in the US but did great world wide not only that it made tons in merchandise which is why it's getting a sequel.

>PISSBROING SHITLORD

See that's way better than MRAs.

46M is more than I expected.
Maybe it won't be a flop.

Yep, it just has to do that 11 times over in markets where they receive small fractions of ticket returns, and it's golden.

why would they not include marketing costs in the original budget? why the fuck would a shitty cg movie like pixels cost so much if not for included marketing budget

>"Women are funny, get over it!"
Did they actually put this in a commercial? Got a link?

Not an argument

Even Paul Feig says that for Ghostbusters to be a success it would have to above and beyond budget. His number was 500 million which I think it the dream number Sony wants but if the at least hit mid way around 250 and more they're be good to go. It's not TV making up shit this is how Hollywood budgets and profits work. This is how the movie studios do business.

nope, the budget is too high. this is a major tentpole release.

same shit with tarzan, which had a similar opening, except that somehow has a $180m budget (wtf warner). the fact they're not going to burn hundreds of millions of dollars on it flopping is a fucking miracle.

Why did it open in the UK and Ireland on a Monday?

Why do they open on different days in different countries?

Monday release is odd even in the UK. Not sure why that happened.

Because actors like Sandler and pals demand big paychecks. Jack and Jill cost over 80 million dollars, and most of that went to pay Sandler for acting, writing, producing, ect. Sandler's fee just for showing up on set is 20 million alone.

It was a NY Times review

www.nytimes.com/2016/07/15/movies/ghostbusters-review-melissa-mccarthy-kristen-wiig.html?_r=0

There's also a decent chance that Sony has fudged the numbers and it cost more than they're letting on.

That said, I think they smelt a bomb in the offing and decided not to spend a fortune on marketing. This doesn't feel like it's got some sort of crazy $100m+ push

I have seen next to no hype for Star Trek and people are just confused more than anything that Ice Age is still going on. I think next week people just won't go to the movies except for a few Trekkies.

Pixels is why Adam Sandler is doing movies for Netflix now. Maybe Paul Feig was right there is a movie jail and he's going there real soon.

It's not out yet in many European countries. With some luck it will bomb in USA so hard that theaters will ask for just few copies.