This isn't a troll for atheists. It's a sincere question

This isn't a troll for atheists. It's a sincere question.

If there is no such thing as cosmic justice, what is the point of being good?

Bump

I want answers user

The only point of being our definition of good is to avoid the dangers of breaking our own laws. Most societies are hedonistic if they're not commies and being generous/courteous are just another way of deriving pleasure whichever angle you run it off.

What's the point of being 'bad'? It's more benefitial to the individual and the group to be 'good'. Being 'bad' often has negative consequences.

Only got this one life. You want to enjoy it right? Be happy? Happiness often comes from the friends we keep and positive experiences. It would be very difficult to have these things if you choose to be a immoral menace, your life would be full of conflict and shit.

You don't need the motivation of an afterlife to be good and treat people well. You are good and kind because that's the sort if world you want to live in regardless.

The point of being good is being good to those around you that you care about.
Being good for the purpose going to a special place that doesn't exist is more awful than being bad.
Are you assuming people are only good because heaven?
You do not have the capacity or humanity to be a good human being without the allure of some place?
Shameful really.

/thread

What is "good"?
Is it good to help a kitten down a tree?
Is it good to end the suffer of a family member with cancer?

I don't think there is a definition for. So the question has no general answer, just a personal for each of us

their is non burn, rape, pillage, kill

The point of being 'good' is the preservation and advancement of humanity, a collective understanding that ensures your personal preservation and advancement in a community better than you could reasonably have on your own. It is disadvantageous to kill a contributor to the community and by extension, you, in cold blood for example. Morals can be separated from divine or 'cosmic justice', we tend to call them laws.

This should suffice if you're looking for a logical reason, but if you are a nihilist then there is no point in asking.

So I don't get arrested.
I'd like to have a happy life at least in this shitty empty universe.
Maybe move to Norway, marry a sweet man/woman, have them cuddle up to me at night and whisper cute things in Norwegian into my ear.

good doesn't exist. motives and methods do

Edgy and retarded even by Sup Forums standards.

Mutual coexistence.

>Implying the only reason you do good is to appease your sky fairy
>20XX shiggity diggity

Reciprocity

If you have no reason to live, just kill yourself :)

Jews

this ^
you think people thousands of years before christianity were good people because of jebus? no, they were "good" because it was beneficial to their tribes

My reason to live is to only inflict pain. the more innocent the better

Well I guess it is to define my self as a person. Though hedonism and self egoism might make sense from a simple perspective, to value one self as something more, and build a personality in all the chaos, makes sense for me.

Making the world a better place, because you want so.

Many good people are good not because they fear being tortured by magic dude in afterlife.

Outside of human society, there isn't good or bad, right or wrong.

But as a societal species, we have some rather strong instincts: reciprocity, avoidance of harm, respect for authority, loyalty to friends, and so on.

These work really well for small societies like hunter-gatherer tribes. What we most often describe now as "bad" or "wrong" are those instincts that are less good for large civilizations.

Such as our disposition to throw rocks at people of the wrong color, or who worship weird gods, or who speak differently.

Once upon a time, by keeping society small, that kept diseases at bay. Now we have centralized disease control.

We also get running water, electricity, space programs, the internet and so on. This kind of infrastructure requires a large society to run it.

So we tend to want to behave in a way that preserves a large society, and the perks for doing so are evident.

Most of us have our eyes cast further into the future than most religious zealots. I do not think we are smarter than religious people,I think we have more time to think about the bigger picture due to not believing in God, therefore not believing in an afterlife, therefore believing that this is our only life and we should spend it getting humans to be a united force that colonizes the stars. Maybe that last one is just me.

There is not such think as good or evil. All these are concepts brought to life by us humans. This really is the case for everything that you can image. Everything you think something is or is not is a false assumption.

Being "evil" doesn't improve the future for my children.

Being good to other people makes me feel good because I'm a sane human who was raised right.

Slow down there, that's pretty edgy

Overused

Study sociology or just google the principles one night to see how retarded that sounds

I'm a sane human is an assumption. Was raised right is another assumption and they are both not true. Its simply your vision on it. Other's could say that you are insane. WHO HAS IS RIGHT?

> too retarded to be bait

Do you even

If you are only being good because you're afraid of an angry sky daddy punishing you, then you were never really good to begin with.

>the principles
googled it, didn't find shit

life our lives,kids,babies,self sacrifice so our co occupants
can continue to live,,we are worth
a fire plug,
if there is no god,evil matters not
good matters not
there is nothing and no one
worth anything

>If there is no such thing as cosmic justice, what is the point of being good?

I don't believe in god, but I do believe that Karma exists, so if you do shitty things then equally shitty things happen to you and those you love.

Why do you feel the need to extrapolate what happens on this little planet to affect the entire cosmos? Really, cosmic justice? I laughed when I read that.

Ok, here's the answer you wanted from an atheist. Please note that my thoughts are only mine, not all share the exact same opinion, just as all religious people or those of a particular sect don't have the same exact opinions.

The cosmic justice that prevents some or many or most people, whether they are atheists or not, is merely the fear of being known as a Bad Person by others. When you are very little and you act childish and won't share, or bite your friends, or grab a toy from someone else you get chastised for acting badly. The fear of being chastised by your parents or caretakers verbally carries into later childhood, and teen years into a fear of what others Might say to you, or about you to others. Teens worry what the Group thinks about them so much that this is a major part of the core of teen angst. As adults we like to think we are good people and that we are both helpful and inoffensive to others. None of this training requires religion. Religion is merely an optional superset of arbitrary rules on top of basic decency that we learn before we learn mathematics or all the rules of grammar and conjugation of the language we learn.

Animals have instructive behaviours that follow patterns similar to rules. It might be considered by religious people that animals are imbued with rules that prevent them from bad actions. As if a god made them to love their offspring, and to abide by a rule to help their relatives if they are pack or social type of animal. These are actually instinctive behaviors. Love or affection or caring or being helpful to a stranger while being wary of possible danger at the same time- these are caused by instinct.

You want to help push someone's car out of traffic if they are stuck. You want to help a man or woman with a child begging for food or change. It's instinct.

(Continued)
It's also instinctive to be wary, to protect yourself, your family or social group. You want yourself to be successful in providing yourself food shelter etc and also your family, relatives, pack, group, etc. it's instinct.

When a meme such as Green Feathered Hats on Tuesdays comes along and you are born into a group with that meme- you want to belong to it as it is an affect of your group. As you grow up, or travel, you eventually discover there are those that do not participate in this. If the meme is rabidly self-perpetuating it will have rules that develop that make rules that make people seem like a bad person if they do not participate in the meme. Religion is a self perpetuating meme that often likes to claim that others that do not participate in it as Bad People.

I find it useless to be degrading to the progression of humanity.

Since I don't know the purpose of the universe I can't say I have any grounded reason to be progressive either, but I'll just keep on living and hopefully I'll find a reason.

Being religious means you aren't comfortable with not having that grounded reason.

Life is not a dick flavored capri sun.
The lack of a cosmic moral fiber does nothing to a logically built society.
In short, the only reason to BE GOOD is because it makes other happy.
That's all, and why I'm evil.

I'm a left hand path animist.
I worship myself and demons, particularly Belial.

As an outsider, I've seen this all of my life. Those are the moments, and why we, as a species worship beings like Thor and Odin.
Proverbially good beings.

Good is simply a human concept to increase order and cooperation within human societies.

Want to live a good happy life, be good.

Don't see why you need a god for that.

Like others have said similarly it's just the golden rule. In general, I don't do bad stuff because I don't like it when people do bad stuff to me. Also because doing good stuff makes you feel better about yourself which is actually pretty selfish reason for doing it but I digress. Also, when people think poorly of you it has a tendency to limit your possibilities for advancement. So in short I at least try to act responsible out of fear from disapproval and my own selfish pride that I am helping others.

You are as much a faggot as any dyed in the wool catholic pederast or any AllahuAkbar.

While it's fun to listen to contemporary urban inner city Finnish clone of Swedish clone of Danish clone of Karelian clone homage of Old Norse pagan black folk metal - it's particularly stupid to be Left Hand path Animist as only Right Hand Gravelled Contractual-enforced Easement Animist is humanity's first and thus the only natural religion as given to him and her by Otille the venerated and Holy hoary-tailed lemming of Doggerland, the ancestral home of white humans.

I don't give a fuck about the old way Norse gods, they're just the example i've used.

Try not to get killed?