Discuss:

BAD decade: 1967 - 1977
GOOD decade: 1977 - 1987
BAD decade: 1987 - 1997
GOOD decade: 1997 - 2007
BAD decade: 2007 - 2017

(give or take a year or two)
Exceptions are not the rule, bad just means dominance of scene or copycat groups/lack of newness or originality, rather than a complete absence of talent.

Completely wrong

Straight bullshit

you're just making shit up now OP

>BAD decade: 1967 - 1977

Literally a lot of the greatest albums ever recorded came out in that period. For example

>Velvet underground and nice and WL/WH
>Pet Sounds
>Forever Changes
>Blonde on Blonde
>Probably some Beatles shit if you're into that
>Paranoid and Master of Reality and debatably any of the other great Sabbath albums from this period
>Marquee Moon
>ITCOTCK and Red
>After The Gold Rush and Harvest
>Bitches Brew
>Tago Mago and Future Days
>Ziggy Stardust, station to station and Low
>CLose to the Edge
>Led Zeppelin 4
>Funhouse
>Another Green World
>Whats going on
>I dont really like Pink FLoyd but a lot of their stuff could be considered to stand among all this too

This is WAY too many great releases to be considered "exceptions." You're fucking retarded OP even if you dont like some of them you would be beyond stupid to say these are all bad.

all decades can be good if you listen to the good shit OP

Rockist fag

>1987–1997
>bad
L M
A O

I'm talking about big picture trends in genre, not individual groups or albums.

Lots of great ones from 1987-1997 too
>Daydream Nation
>Surfer Rosa
>Isn't Anything
>Spirit of Eden
>Doolittle
>Loveless
>Laughing Stock
>Spiderland
>Yerself Is Steam
>Nevermind
>In Utero
>The Stars Are So Big
>TRNBWA
>Boces
>Today's Active Lifestyles
>Tortoise
>Helium
>Dummy
>Iaora Tahiti
>Tri Repetae
>I Care Because You Do
>RDJ Album
>Filosofem
>Millions Now Living Will Never Die
>Exploded Drawing
>On Avery Island
>Emperor Tomato Ketchup
>OK Computer
>Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space
>Chiastic Slide
The list goes on

Still completely wrong. Just kill yourself

87 to 97 is when all of the best alternative rock was released.
Siamese Dream, The Bends, Loveless, the Blue Album, ... Daydream Nation,
acts like
Built to Spill, Modest Mouse, Slowdive, dinosaur Jr and too many to count.

How do people overlook Down Colorful Hill? It's arguably the best album to ever come out of contemporary music.

Do people just not listen to it?

Completely shit.

I have most of those albums. Of course a Led Zeppelin is going to be an exception.
For example:
Late 60's saw hundreds of Beatles copycats, death of Jimi, birth of dadrock (the awful variety). Nothing great came until about '77, a very explosive year for music. Of course there was also Pink Floyd, who are an exception.

The turn of the nineties was about the end of that goodness, enter Nirvana copycats...

I don't care

Alt peaked in like 88, 89. By 1991 onward the trend was certifiably downhill.

Stop posting

What the mother fuck?
Kill yourself unironically.

This is the worst taste I have ever seen in my life.

>BAD decade: 1967 - 1977
Some of the best psych albums.
Motown
David Bowie
Jazz Fusion.

How in any way was that decade bad?

This is the opposite of rockism. The best rock records came out in the decades he deems bad.
Nope, this is just a classic case of OP being a faggot.

...and we see some greatness emerging again in the mid to late nineties what with Aphex/Squarepusher's best albums, rock was starting to break free of the vice grip of grunge culture

Just wanted to give you guys a handy tool for measuring rock history (decades really begin and end on years that end in 6, 7, or 8, not 0), and some optimism about the coming years. Make Music Great Again

You Only referenced two of the artists I talked about. Are they ALL exceptions?

Jazz Fusion is the definition of musical garbage.
Motown wasn't shit after the late 60's, until Donna Summer and shit again in the late 70;s

PET SOUNDS 1966
FOREVER CHANGES 1967
BLONDE ON BLONDE 1966
BEATLES peaked '66/'67
SABBATH exception, but imo Sabotage is their best, '76 I believe, when music started getting Great Again

Do I need to do them all? These all fall on the cusp, the end of a great era, into the cheesiness of the mid 70's

Beyond that, psych had peaked by '68. In 1969 they had a funeral for the hippie movement, it was dead. Enter horrible cheesy acid rock music.

Bowie keeps coming up, not a coincidence I think. His discog seems to defy the rule perfectly. David Bowie IS the definitive exception.

>Jazz Fusion is the definition of musical garbage.
Oh boy that's a no no...

Ok sabbath is an exception, noted. Now please tell me all the following artists are exceptions.

>Velvet Underground
>Television
>King Crimson
>Niel Young
>Miles Davis
>Can
>Bowie
>Yes
>Genesis
>Iggy Pop
>Brian Eno
>Marvin Gaye

Honestly you have named three "exceptions" so far. When do you stop being retarded and realize these artists were all releasing way too many great albums in this period for their collective works as a hole to be considered an exception?

YOu either admit you were incorrect and that your original statement was fucking misinformed, ill thought out and stupid, or deny the amazing music that was released and continue to be a deluded faggot.

Fucking retard

Putting technicality over musicality is what destroys art. Uninspired pedants should stick to reading their theory.

VU absolutely stink, but somehow inspired decent music (ditto Sonic Youth)
I love Television. They helped make music Great Again in the late 70's
Neil Young/Bowie defy the rule almost perfectly
Can/Genesis/Yes etc are trash. Pedants.
Iggy Pop is an exception to any rule
Good point with Marvin Gaye, noted
Miles' discog is too convoluted for me to analyze

fags the whole lot of them
go kill yourself cunt

>this opinion

As to the last part of your post, you're still thinking in terms of individual artists' careers when I made it clear I'm talking broad-strokes trends in genre, technology, culture, emergence of big influences, etc.

by 91 the major labels starting showing up and signing tons of bands

They had a few good tracks. They were influential (scenesters), not great, not even close. Overrated af

Go back to Berklee, Jaco

Rockism doesn't mean "likes rock music."

OP is, by all means, a rockist.

>Miles' discog is too convoluted for me to analyze
please try for my sake

Literally what does it mean if not "liking rock music," then?
OP is just being a shit taste faggot.

Sure, there is technicality in jazz fusion, but there definitely is much more musicality. Some of the best melodies and most creative songs are jazz fusion, the technicality is just an added bonus. I know what I'm replying to is bait, but I might as well try.