DUDE HUMANS SUCK

DUDE HUMANS SUCK

Other urls found in this thread:

talkhouse.com/richard-edwards-margot-nuclear-sos-father-john-mistys-persona-suicide-note/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

BEDDING TAYLOR SWIFT EVERY NIGHT INSIDE THE OCULUS RIFT

fjm i hate wtf now

thanks guys

-josh

What if technology, but too much?

Can somebody explain to me the love of FJM. Like I get it, he's a pretentious dude who makes fun of the fact he's pretentious, but why do people love that so much? I feel like he's the new Mac kinda. Everybody wants to love him because he's "underground".

>I feel like he's the new Mac kinda
Jesus Christ Sup Forums

?? Care to explain?

that was actually the best line tho

how would an artist who has been around longer than mac and is more popular than mac "be the new mac"

because he's autistic, that's why

My bad. I've got a shitty timeline on a lot of these things. Basically what I'm saying is that when I talk to a lot of people who "love music", the first bands they mention are Mac and FJM. That's what I mean.

sounds like they like indie rock

So I Love You, Honeybear was my favorite release from 2015. I'm really excited for this, but it seems like fans are a little disappointed while critical reception has remained pretty much the same.

I think I'll enjoy it, but haven't had time to give it a full spin. For some reason the 74-minute running time doesn't bode well for me.

dude's even more of an industry plant than all those indiewave bands of the late 00s-early 10s. it's like they are not even trying to hide it anymore. Just shut up and eat your slop, you animals

how is he an industry plant, he's from fleet foxes

ILYH and Fear Fun are well written albums though. It's not all schtick like this new album.

>a person on a well known label and clearly a part of the industry is an "industry plant"
When did Sup Forums become so retarded about this meme?

FJM was probably one of my favorite artists ever since and I'd honestly give this a 5/10, maybe a 6 after more listens.

I think he forgot the Father in his stage name wasn't a real title because all he does is fucking preach for the entire album.

I actually cringed at a few lines, the most notable being the one where the Angel comes to take people to hell and "looks at all the malls and prisons" and says something along the lines of "you've already built your own here"

He pretty much took Bored In The USA and made an album version of it. And while that track wasn't the worst thing in the world there were much better ones on ILYHB. Shame it got the most attention and apparently made Josh's ego skyrocket.

ie. late 00s-early 10s indiewave band that was also a blatant plant, trustfund brooklinyte parasites ruthlessly promoted to the faux bohemian NPR listening, middle class, basic bitch consumer through 'glowing' pitchfork reviews, starbucks download codes (remember them?), songs prominently featured in hollywood productions, etc.

And it's annoying how he trys to be one step ahead of the criticism by putting that line in there about how all the fans will hear this and go what happened to him this makes me wanna die or something like that.

Just screams of a head in the sand attitude

FJM is fully aware of what he's doing. He's making fun of you the listener, he's making fun of himself the artist, its all great fun. This album takes a while to digest, but once it "clicks" it'll be worth it. Id give it a tentative 8.5/10, maybe more if it wasn't for birdie being placed in front of Leaving LA and for smootchie not adding too much. The orchestration takes a back seat but it is still well thought out. The lyrics are self aware enough to keep me interested and go pretty personal at times. Give it another spin guys, it's my AOTYSF.

He's a great guy in real life, really colorful personality. He browses random forums often and you can see him peek in. If you are here Josh, keep making cool music and I'll keep supporting you.

"2000 years or so since Ovid taught
Night-blooming, teenage rosebuds, dirty talk
And I'm merely a minor fascination to
Manic virginal lust and college dudes
I'm beginning to begin to see the end
Of how it all goes down between me and them
Some 10-verse chorus-less diatribe
Plays as they all jump ship, "I used to like this guy
This new shit really kinda makes me wanna die" "

He's not being ahead of the criticism as you say, he's taking a potshot at the fairweather fans with a "minor fascination" that aren't going to give a shit about his 13 minute long ten verse diatribe.

"Father" John Misty is one of those people who just irradiate cuntness from every pore

I met him a couple times briefly He was a great guy honestly, and whenever he does an interview he seems very relatable.

I don't quite like shoving off something like 10 albums worth of good content and songwriting because your perception of the artist is a broad label like "hes a cunt"

i very much appreciate being overly-critical of any successful band, and I don't even like Fleet Foxes at all, but nothing about their story strikes on the "plant, trustfund brooklinyte," "hollywood" thing. they're basically a folk/country/indie band with very little substance, but that's just because robin pecknold is a seattle hippie guy.

well just swap 'brooklyn' for 'seattle', 'portland' 'san francisco' same shit

Remember, anyone who "makes it" unsigned or on an indie label is a plant. You should ONLY trust artists on major labels!

stfu john

who's john

well yeah, they do.

if you weren't a NEET who hasn't even had entry-level human interactions, you'd probably understand OP.

Just don't go in expecting ILYH.

He's not wrong
Misanthropy is the ultimate redpill

It's honestly a light 9/10 for me. Don't be influenced by plebby mutants. If you like John Lennons solo material or Elton Johns best work, you will love this album. It's a singer-songwriter Must.

Not quite as explosive emotionally as Honeybear, but definitely a lot to love here

i totally agree dude. these are pretty much all my major issues with the album, and i love his first two under the name.

yeah ok but this is just a cheap way to insulate himself from criticism. he does this all the time, and it's honestly probably the thing that you're best at. Think he's being pretentious and condescending? Jokes on you, it was just a persona. Think he should have the stones to step away from the persona for a second and actually take a stance beyond "everything sucks and iphones are making us miserable"? it's actually NOT a persona, dude, this is just who he is, how dare you criticize him for expressing his innermost thoughts? Think the album is overlong and preachy? Well, you're probably just an unwashed "college dude" not mature or intelligent or #dedicated enough to get it. It's so goddamn frustrating.

I don't get the Elton John comparison at all; his stuff was always very melodically driven, with neat pop arrangements. Here, FJM goes for same-y, basic chord structures without much regard for memorability or variety. And yeah, sparse chord structures can work, but not when they're not even elegantly arranged, and not when the lyrics they strip bare and push front and center are the equivalent of the kid in your high school honors english class who thought he was better than everybody else because he had a high vocabulary, despite not being able to deviate from verbose cliche hardly at all.

Did I have to listen to the lyrics to appreciate this album, because I thought it sucked

He's been making albums since 2003 before you blew up you literal retarded faggot, how could he possibly be an industry plant?

This, TOTALLY got Lennon/Late Beatles vibes with this record that actually go over very well.

DUDE HUMANS ARE ALRIGHT AND LIFE ITSELF IS PRETTY GREAT

For me it's just kind of refreshing to hear someone with such blunt lyrics. Maybe there are people out there who do it better, and there are a few preachy/cringey lines, but I can always know that I can get that from him. Like on Leaving LA

It's not a persona. He uses the moniker as a method of expression for his inner thoughts a beliefs. In fact, Leaving LA is him explaining the connection and trying to almost toss it as to emphasize that he really cares about what he's saying. He knows he's being a bit pretentious, and often pokes fun at himself. He's a down to earth, relatable guy that is pushing his inner emotions through his music. He makes ironic jokes and tounge in cheek one liners through his lyrics, I feel you should read more from him if you aren't quite getting what is sincere or not.
You are fine to have your opinion and I respect that, I just don't think you are right when you say he's deflecting criticism. It's not unfair to say that many fans of his accessible indie-rock/pop/folk whatever music are predictable mildly interested college dudes that like his face value cynicism and will jump shit when they see a 13 minute long song with no chorus and basic instrumentals for the first 4 minutes or so.

Pure Comedy is not "everything sucks". Its hopeful, and profoundly pro-humanity. 75 minute long albums are not easily digestible but I highly recommend you try again. He knows what he is to people, just a pretentious smart ass who thinks he knows it all. But in his self evaluation he is sincere. It's not without flaws, but it's a tentative 8.5. I recommend you give it a few more spins if you liked his earlier work.

yeah, i get that, but maybe its because of the stuff I see online or the people I end up around, but I can't imagine wanting more blunt, uninformed and basic commentary from smart people who it seems can barely get the words out without condescending to their audience. I'm being a little facetious, of course, but I meant it when I said it reminds me of the kid in high school english who doesn't know his own limitations. The themes on this album aren't new to me, and I'd be super surprised if they were new to you or most listeners. And since the music has - as an artistic choice - taken a backseat to the lyricism, it's not something I can ignore, and there's nothing else on the album for me to turn to.

Like I have enough educated white dudes telling me and everyone else how the "world is" in overly reductive terms, very bluntly. I guess this content is new for other people? Like if I want blunt lyrics I'll go to emo or something with feeling and emotion, the bluntness with a lack of emotion or moral just feels pointless.

Robin > Josh
it's not even close

same. the only songs of his I've been able to stomach are ILYH, whatever the second track is, and some stuff from his early, pre-FF, pre-Savior-of-Mankind stuff

might be seeing FF this September at Red Rocks

josh would be SO much better if he trimmed his word count by like 75%. he doesn't hold a candle to Pecknold

Has there been fleet fox hype threads yet?

they're too pure for Sup Forums, hopefully

when the single dropped there were

I like both Father John Misty and the Fleet Foxes

They are goo for different reasons

good not "goo" sorry

LOLOL VIKINGS DUDE

talkhouse.com/richard-edwards-margot-nuclear-sos-father-john-mistys-persona-suicide-note/

he summed it pretty well

I have listened to this album a bunch of times since the leak, I've listened to his first two dozens if not hundreds, I've read the interminable liner notes for this album as well as all of the lyrics on it. I don't think it's about me not being exposed to him enough.

I don't really think it's a persona, either. The problem is that it's used to deflect criticism when it's convenient, and it's dissolved to deflect criticism when it's convenient as well. And I don't really see it as being down to earth at all; one of my main problems is he doesn't humble himself as well on this album as he does on his others, whether that's by design or just inelegant writing, I couldn't say.

Pure Comedy the song certainly seems like "everything sucks" to me, the whole above-it-all "lol, humans are ugly, awkward, hairless apes who made up their sky-fairy to make them feel special!" thing is straight out of 2011 reddit. "total entertainment forever" is a highlight, but still very cynical about our culture, and lyrically not that special. And Leaving LA actually has some great lyrics, the best on the album, but the music leaves it flat for me. God, "Two Wildly Different Perspectives" just sucks, though. I'm done with the whole "both sides are the same" thing because, if it's about American politics, no matter which side you're on that's obviously not true. If it's not, and it's about more global shit like the Cambodian genocide and the Sudanese civil war, then what the fuck? I don't think it's brave or accurate or thought-provoking to do the whole "conflict is just two barely different sides who disagree" thing, and it's not even particularly well done there.

I mean whatever, people are gonna like this album, but I'm so frustrated; more than any other album I can remember, I can't understand why so many people think this is a good piece of art.

thankfully, pitchfork gave it a 7.6, and the change in cover art style might be enough to fend off wayward newbies, as well as turn a few J. Till vets.

I pretty much agree with you. But what did you think of Ballad of a Dying Man? I kinda liked it because it was criticism and self-mockery at the same time and that was quite clever to me even though it also gives off the "don't criticize me, I already know I'm a douche" vibe.

I had such strong vibes of Elton John, which is totally fine because I love Elton John

this. josh should've stuck with the drums

why should i care if theyre plants